Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,223 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series (12191 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Ify05: 2:18pm On Sep 16, 2019
The television series adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie’s acclaimed novel ‘Americanah’ has been green-lit by HBO Max.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Lupita Nyong’o will star as the lead character, Ifemelu while ‘The Walking Dead’ star, Danai Gurira is the showrunner.

HBO Max has given the limited series a 10-episode order with Gurira also writing the pilot for the award-winning novel.

‘Americanah’ tells the story of Ifemelu (Nyong’o), a young, beautiful, self-assured woman raised in Nigeria, who as a teenager falls in love with her classmate Obinze.

Living in a military-ruled country, they each depart for the west, with Ifemelu heading for America.

There, she learned that despite her academic success, she is forced to grapple for the first time with what it means to be black.

On the other hand, quiet and thoughtful Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead plunges into a dangerous undocumented life in London.

Confirming the news on her social media handles @lupitanyongo, the ‘Us’ actress also said,“‘Americanah’ has been a passion project for me since I read Chimamanda’s beautiful novel in 2013.

“It’s a tale that is simultaneously timely and timeless. HBO Max is the perfect partner to bring this profound and celebrated story to life.

“I’m thrilled that Danai will bring to the project her intelligence, wit, and understanding of the stories and the worlds of ‘Americanah.’”

NAN reports that Nyong’o purchased the film rights to ‘Americanah’ in 2014 and immediately collaborated with fellow Black Panther’s castmate, Gurira to write the screenplay.

However, in 2018, the duo stated that the novel was being turned into a mini-series and not a feature film. They visited Nigeria to do research for the screen project.

This will mark the third time Nyong’o and Gurira work together. Prior to playing Nakia and Okoye in Marvel’s Black Panther, Gurira wrote Eclipsed — the play that landed Nyong’o her first Tony nomination.

https://thickmatch.com/chimamanda-adichies-book-americanah-picked-tv-series/

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by suprememoney(m): 2:25pm On Sep 16, 2019
Nice one

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by ossaisly(m): 5:06pm On Sep 16, 2019
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Blackchampion(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2019
Nice one.

Meet Professor Muhaffidavit Buhari, GCFR.
Affidavit in B. Sc (Herdsmenology), M. Sc (Ruganomics), PhD (Advanced Ruganomics) University of PEPT.

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by willycorps(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2019
that's good
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 16, 2019
Blackchampion:
Nice one.

Affidavit in B. Sc (Herdsmenology), M. Sc (Ruganomics), PhD (Advanced Ruganomics) University of PEPT.
Stale

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Mercy2006(f): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2019
Hope Nigerians have calmed down now concerning the choice of the lead actress

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by BlessedNuel: 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2019
Congratulations to her... The bigger her I pray.

Meanwhile... If you need Original Pure honey call or whatsapp me on the number attached to my signature below

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by 9jaRealist: 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2019
>
Here was Lupita in Enugu when she came to research the “Americanah” project... grin

>

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Siralgebra04(m): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2019
Congratulations, dat's a good news.
In d meantime, I have a brief analysis here. If u burn #2,145 (15litres) fuel, say, every 3 days, then, in a year you would have expended # 260,975 fuel + #20,000 for maintenance. In 2 years u would av spent over 560k. That's too massive.
Embrace Solar Energy. At Medas Innovations, we will be willing to mount ur Solar System.
Check my signature for contact.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by amaniro: 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2019
Hate her or love her, She's following Chinua Achebe footsteps.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by TEDHorsePower: 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2019
Cool
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by StrikeBack(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2019
When is homeland next season abeg

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Orissodiq: 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2019
don't want to read the book but waiting for the movie

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by 9jaRealist: 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2019
>
Lupita bought the rights to the book in 2014...
And then came last year (with Dunai Gurira of “Black Panther”) to research the project.

>

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Angelfrost(m): 5:16pm On Sep 16, 2019
Wow... I pray it turns out a hit. The book was a good read, but Purple Hibiscus remains my fav.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by IFezki96: 5:16pm On Sep 16, 2019
i read the novel, and it's a good read. It exposed me more to the american culture of how BLACKS are looked down on as the least desirable race...

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2019
Role model always kiss

You just starting cool

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by cashkid: 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2019
Blackchampion:
Nice one.

Oga, find something better to say jor! This is stale.. grin

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Angelfrost(m): 5:18pm On Sep 16, 2019
Orissodiq:
don't want to read the book but waiting for the movie

You should read it... It will be worth every spared second.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by XINOIX: 5:18pm On Sep 16, 2019
Blackchampion:
Nice one.

another lazy youth

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 16, 2019
Lupita is a pure delight to watch... hope she puts in her best show to promote our Nigerian art.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by lapazi(m): 5:22pm On Sep 16, 2019
Why Lupita, that girl is hella furgly!
No average igbo girl is that furgly....
She isnt the only black female actress from Africa...
Dafuq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by meobizy(f): 5:35pm On Sep 16, 2019
I wonder why they didn’t do the movie thing again.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by ThePreachersSon: 5:39pm On Sep 16, 2019
Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie
Now that's a slayqueen �, one with brains.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by arabbunkum: 5:40pm On Sep 16, 2019
Mega money
Re: Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series by Gudiza(m): 5:44pm On Sep 16, 2019

Gabriel Okara Dies Four Weeks Before 98th Birthday / MARY 3. A Dragon Queen... / How I Started Sleeping With The Governor’s Wife