Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,747 members, 7,955,850 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:01 PM

Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer (5304 Views)

I Need A Website Designer Who Is Very Good In E-commerce Design / Which Web Design Software Would Be Good To Develop This Site? / Which Webhosting Company Is Good In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 30, 2010
Ok.

I have seen lots of answers to this question, in many forums and from many Code writers. Little wonder my signature and strict orientation toward things.

Let people who have written lots of code, both on the web and for desktop based application, come around and tell us what they feel, there after, i may state my opinion.

Lojik, please you are highly invited!
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by ogzille(m): 7:33pm On Oct 30, 2010
I strongly think mathematics is quite important for a programmer

Lemme show u an example: i did this gallery http://shalomacademy.net/gallery.html some time ago, i bet if u are not a mathematics person that is very conversant with your sine and cosine, you will have a problem.

For some effects you want to achieve, some mathematical formulars are simply indispensable.

For me good mathematicians make good programmers
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 30, 2010
I remember scoring an A1 in my SSCE back in the days. . .maybe it is just a coincidence (we need to do a statistical analysis to see if the null hypothesis is correct or rejected).
We can do this by collating data, and i can analyse it statistically using EPI INFO, SPSS or even EXCEL.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Mobinga: 8:57pm On Oct 30, 2010
shocked shocked shocked What kinda question is this?

Its like asking "Does one need to register on NL before he can post"
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 30, 2010
@Ogzille. I am not a Javascript person, so you were definitely referring to me!

I think it depends on the Application to be developed. Generally, programming does not require Maths. But some applications may require.

It's as good as saying, Programming requires knowledge of Musical Theory(In depth), because the development of Fruity Loops(Music Production software) must require music beats, sequencing sounds and things like that.

Yes Programmers/ Developers worked on that. But definately with people conversant with Music/ Term terms and theory!
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Mobinga: 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2010
ogzille:

I strongly think mathematics is quite important for a programmer

Lemme show u an example: i did this gallery http://shalomacademy.net/gallery.html some time ago, i bet if u are not a mathematics person that is very conversant with your sine and cosine, you will have a problem.

For some effects you want to achieve, some mathematical formulars are simply indispensable.

For me good mathematicians make good programmers
7HR34D L0CK3D grin
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2010
@Mobinga.

Do you have a problem with the thread?? Or you have personal issues Or family issue??

PS: Answer the questions with only yes or no!
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by ogzille(m): 9:24pm On Oct 30, 2010
Donpuzo:

Generally, programming does not require Maths. But some applications may require.

The statement is contradictory, why the generalisation when you know that some applications require mathematics?

well, its not about the javascript thing, i can still site some php examples where gd knowledge of mathematics is essential.

Atimes for u to run some complex mysql queries u even need some mathematics knowledge.

If its my former boss , he will say there is a diff between a real programmer and an if-then-else programmer.

Donpuzo:

Yes Programmers/ Developers worked on that. But definately with people conversant with Music/ Term terms and theory!

Are you trying to say that if u were told to draw out an algorithm for a problem that requires some math knowledge, you will go and employ a maths guy to help you?

For me you may not be able to remove mathematics from the life of a good programmer.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2010
Very true!

Remember when i was undergoing my Java training. Little things were difficult to comprehend. Mostly in the Swing. We were treating Layout, and we were learning GridBagLayout.

Men it was not small thing for Donpuzo. They had to use Excel to explain how something was calculated. Cause some of us(Mostly me) had serious issues with it.

Though grabbed it at last!

Yet will still say. Programming is far from maths. What make up a good programmer is Logical Analysis Ability for Application development
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by ogzille(m): 9:47pm On Oct 30, 2010
@Dunpuzo, what excatly do u consider logical analysis ability?

Ive done some IQ tests both online and offline, and their logical analysis except for the diagrammatic analysis, have some mathematical undertone.

What do you consider logical analysis when u do not know that a mathematical formular can complete a task (cos u are bad at mathematics)  whereas the same programmer next door simply plugs in the formulars and he is out.

Between the two programmers in the above paragraph paragraph, who has a better logical analysis ability?
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by DualCore1: 10:02pm On Oct 30, 2010
This may help.

Mathematics is the study of quantity, structure, space, and change. Mathematicians seek out patterns,[2][3] formulate new conjectures, and establish truth by rigorous deduction from appropriately chosen axioms and definitions.[4]

Source: Wikipedia.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by ogzille(m): 10:06pm On Oct 30, 2010
@DC, u don finish matter
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Mobinga: 10:15pm On Oct 30, 2010
Donpuzo:

@Mobinga.

Do you have a problem with the thread?? Or you have personal issues Or family issue??

PS: Answer the questions with only yes or no!
grin grin grin grin grin grin cool
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 30, 2010
Logic means Critical Thinking.

Guess that applies in Mathematics and Computer Science(Since one can never be a Computer Scientist without being a Mathematician).

@DC. What do you think of the matter/discussion??
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 30, 2010
@Mobinga. I have a girl i just met, who always show her teeth, as a positive sign(YES), actually had a date with her yesterday. wink

So i take the emoticons as a YES! to one the many questions i asked!

lol grin
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by ogzille(m): 10:21pm On Oct 30, 2010
Mathematics is to Programming AS babes is to DunPuzo
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 30, 2010
I get your point Ogzille.

You are going for a Yes to the question raised in this thread!

Abeg free me and BABES.

They are part of my many API i shock into my Applications to guarantee output, in which without, a constant exception will occur!
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Slyr0x: 11:36pm On Oct 30, 2010
*dhtml:

I remember scoring an A1 in my SSCE.

+1. Also had A1 in Further Maths. + A in MAT 101 + A in MAT 102(Calculus) + A in 202(Advance Calculus) + A in 203 + A in 206.

Then iStopped offering Maths Courses.

Oya lets start showing ourselves. grin grin

@OP, People good at Mathematics are critical thinkers and you need to be 1 to be a programmer.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 30, 2010
Actually it's a must to know maths its very vital as many logics require it imagine,especially Drawing API's and also File Handling, even Variable Types converting value to bases,any sparetime i have i pick up a Maths Book,cuz i kinda wanna try Flash Gaming which require maths,even Gaming requires the Maddest of all Maths,Drawing on Simple Canvas requires Maths, Simple Calculations like Getting File Size requires Maths,Maths is vital, even CSS requires more maths,then ever trust me
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by ogzille(m): 12:06am On Oct 31, 2010
where i dey when guys where busy smashing, witout much talk person caannot be a programmer without maths.

@pc guru, game programming is too far na!

If u claim to write codes witout gd maths knowledge then ure a grammer with pro missing
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 31, 2010
Let me give you a simple scenario. How do you make a window (possibly a browser window) resize to occupy the center of the screen
and the window should be resized to exactly half the width of the screen and half the height of the screen.

Next, those fantastic video games we play such as PS soccer, do you think without a sound knowlege of geometry and all that, it is possible
to even make it?

Lets take a look at statistical analytical packages - such as EPi Info, and SPSS, which are rather too sophisticated. Lets take a look at microsoft excel package - do you think you can work out those payrolls and stuffs on it without a sound knowlege of maths. And can you immagine the programmers creating such not being sound in maths?

Unless you are thinking of bread and butter applications. When you get to core mysql or even oracle SQL, you still meet SETS as in our regular sets there with queries using intersect. . . .

All them loop structures in all programming languages are a form of maths. Some people despite years in programming cannot handle complex data-driven programming because they are not sound in maths.

Many problem-solving tasks we do in programming is based on arithmetics, logical reasoning and all that - it is not a fluke. All the good programmers i look up to (without exception) are all very sound in maths - I am still looking for an exception to that rule.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by yawatide(f): 1:01pm On Oct 31, 2010
Do you need to be familiar with the basic tenets on math? Yes
Do you need to be good at math? No

Take me for instance, I had a C6 but I haven't done too bad for myself in the field cool
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 31, 2010
C6 is not better than A1 in the actual sense. Later on in the university i failed some trivial courses - simple reason - i did not really like some of the courses - so they just dont stick.
In the case of maths, i hate maths (that is a fact), but because i have a photographic memory, once i learn something once, i remember it for a long time to come
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by lojik(m): 3:22pm On Oct 31, 2010
If i remember well, word problems are part of mathematics, so are inequalities, linear equations, sets, matrix and determinants, interpolation, progressions, geometry e.t.c.
If u call urself a programmer and you do not understand the fundamentals of mathematics, then u r out of the game in no time. However, while it is necessary to understand the fundamentals, being good in maths will make u faster, better and able to handle a wider range of problems.

There are places that i use interpolation to save me the stress of having to write very long codes in simple scripts like "Scroll bars for actionscript"

@dhtml: Coincidentally, i also had A1 in SSCE and A3 in GCE.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
@Lojik. Plz expatiate on the word fundamentals! What do you consider "fundamentals" that should be known, to be a Programmer!

@Yawa. Thanks. I think i go with you! wink
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by mailtimi(m): 7:42pm On Oct 31, 2010
so which shuld we go for. Is it YES or NO. Anyway, I personally think its ur luv for programming that determines how gud you are or how gud u wuld be. Not bn gud in mathematics.
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Mobinga: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2010
And I got all f9's grin grin
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
It is like saying that is it possible to be a scientist if you do not know how to study? maths is about solving problems. Programming too is problem-solving.
We do permutations in programming by knowing several ways of approaching the same issue and solving it. In maths too, you get many ways of applying solutions to a problem. You are given equation of a straight line, y=4x + 7; and then you are asked to find the value of y on the graph when x was 20
u may find the answer straight by substitution and do jomo-logy in your graph. but the not-so-smart ones in maths will still miss a simple task like that.

How much you can think and use the ALU (Arithmetic and Logical Unit) of your medulla oblongata (pardon the nonsense) will determine how far u can do in programming - it is not just about whether you have the love or the flair for it or not. But of course flair is important - but there is difference between ability ati abinibi (no mind the vernacular)
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
DHTML,

You are making me laugh here. Just left my work and started laughing!

Men you are funny!
Re: Must One Be Good In Mathematics To Be A Programmer by lojik(m): 9:54pm On Oct 31, 2010
@dhtml
Being good in maths is not a requirement for programming especially in serverside scripting but it could be an advantage. For instance:

You will not need plenty maths when designing a simple php file uploader but you will require tremendous maths when designing an advanced javascript gallery or a javascript game.

@Donpuzo
I have done lots of programs & games in flash/actionscript 1,2 & 3 and also in javascript so my understanding of maths helped me a lot. Take for instance, in the development of a paint estimator software for architects that required drawing, painting and calculation of paint required for buildings with complicated figures, i leveraged on my understanding of permutation and combination, matrix and determinants, interpolation, geometry and also trigonometry.
There is no way in the world i would have done that project without maths. That's beyond fundamentals.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Most Visited Websites In Nigeria, November 2010 / Breaking News: Seun Osewa Does Not Exist / a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.