Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! (2062 Views)

Clean Audi 80 For Sale SOLD! / Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! / Audi 80 Tiger Face (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by AmuDimpka: 7:55am On Sep 19, 2019
Cities in Nigeria has some kind of affinity to a particular brand of car. Ibadan is used to Nissan Micra while Sagamu , Kano is Honda , Abuja is Nissan Sunnby and Peougot cars ,in Ogun state is comfortable with Mazdas, Owerri is Passat but in Benin it’s a different kettle of fish . The ancient city of Benin choose Audi 80.

A car some people have seen to be problematic, a car that people have changed the acronym to Automobile Under Devil’s Influence (Audi) 80 percent. Though it might sound funny, but people that drives that car outside Benin has come to see that car as trouble while those that in Benin has exorcised the devil of the car or has delivered themselves from from the problem of the car.

Having traveled many cities , I took time to engage some of the local folks on the love for Audi ! One drive Osas said in pidgin that ” this is a wonderful car, when you buy the one that the engine is good, the car has German engineering and this is what makes me like the car” he added
Patrick Osamudiamen , a transporter that Okies Benin -Okada route when engage has all the praises for the car. He said that ” one thing that I love this Audi product is the simplicity of the engine and availability of the parts. The car can be easily fixed by anyone. Though it’s an old model ,it’s a very good car, better than those of the recent models”, he concluded.

Accor,ding to the Wikipedia, The Audi 80 is a compact executive car produced by the German manufacturer Audi(initially known as Auto Union and Audi NSUAuto Union) from 1966 to 1996. It shared its platform with the Volkswagen Passat from 1973 to 1986 and was available as a sedan, and an Avant (Audi’s name for a station wagon). The coupé and convertible models were not badged as members of the range, but shared the same platform and many parts.

https://etimes.com.ng/benin-city-residents-their-obsession-for-audi-80/

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by wisino1(m): 7:59am On Sep 19, 2019
U are right bro Audi is the main vehicle for transport in Benin but overtime its now a cocktail of different vehicle but the Audi 80 Is dominant
Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by Arysexy(m): 8:08am On Sep 19, 2019
The main reason why they use Audi 80 in Benin is because it can swim through flood without quenching. Unlike Golf that has d Kickstarter on the lower part of the engine making it to quench inside flood.

Also the Audi 80(tiger face) is fuel economy and spare parts are cheap

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by eddycliff(m): 8:29am On Sep 19, 2019
I live in Benin and trust me when a fancy car stop by me on d road side i will b like Oga I no dey go...no worry

70% of us here think Audi (especially d red nd yellow ones )are the safest while fancy non colored are for 419 pipo
Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by TRYGO(m): 8:40am On Sep 19, 2019
I think this has to do with geographical or let's say people's allegiances to certain brands, countries, or so.

For instance,
North! obsessed with Honda. France is an extremely liberal country, etc.

Southeast! Benz, fords,. They live Americans that much guys.
Basically, more American and German cars over there.

Southwest! Depends on which part of the southwest though.
Transporters mostly cherished Nissans, and Mazdas.
You can't delineate Lagos from VW(the danfos).

Niger Delta! I think those guys over there are a combination of brands choices of the southeast, and southwest.

These are just my observations and nothing else.
I'm not trying to Stoke up some kind of regional superior warfare here.

Regards,
Joseph

1 Like

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by AmuDimpka: 9:26am On Sep 19, 2019
TRYGO:
I think this has to do with geographical or let's say people's allegiances to certain brands, countries, or so.

For instance,
North! obsessed with Honda. France is an extremely liberal country, etc.

Southeast! Benz, fords,. They live Americans that much guys.
Basically, more American and German cars over there.

Southwest! Depends on which part of the southwest though.
Transporters mostly cherished Nissans, and Mazdas.
You can't delineate Lagos from VW(the danfos).

Niger Delta! I think those guys over there are a combination of brands choices of the southeast, and southwest.

These are just my observations and nothing else.
I'm not trying to Stoke up some kind of regional superior warfare here.

Regards,
Joseph

on point...the igbo love benz and bmw while hausa love honda

2 Likes

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by naijadrivablog: 11:11am On Sep 19, 2019
Nissan Micra in Ibadan, Audi 80 in Benin.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by joinnow: 11:57am On Sep 19, 2019
Kwara na Mazda 232
Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by Patrick33(m): 5:54pm On Sep 19, 2019
In Calabar it's the same thing ..70% of taxi drivers use Audi 80...Camry pencil light is coming up tho

1 Like

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by okoroemeka(m): 10:30pm On Sep 19, 2019
I think Toyota Avalon is much loved by owerri people,the no of Avalon's on their roads is even more than Camrys.

1 Like

Re: Benin City Residents & Their Obsession For Audi 80! by Day169: 8:21pm On Sep 20, 2019
I'll hazard a guess..
A cars popularity soars when usually, there's a mechanic who understands its workings and can source for the parts readily.
The advice and recommendations he gives to his customers gives them a reassurance on the car's reliability and the word spreads around.
Secondly the mechanic's apprentices in turn become competent in handling the car further increasing it's dependability among residents of the community.
This accounts for certain cities identifying with a particular brand.
.. my 2 kobo! cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

First Made In Jos Car / How My Sister Traveled With A Toyota Hybrid Jeep And It Disappointed Her And Bro / Are Honda CRV 2007-2011 Women Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.