Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,035 members, 7,821,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial (1532 Views)

Aren't There Any C++ Devs On This Section Or Programmers That Do Complex Stuff? / My First Html/css Project After Learning Responsiveness(media Queries) / Multiple Queries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 19, 2019
This tutorial is designed to help beginners understand the concept of database normalization, indexing, and how to use mysql complex queries to retrieve data in a more efficient way.
It is very difficult (almost impossible) to retrieve concurrent data from mysql tables using simple queries once the database is normally, hence, I will show you how to use complex queries (joints, group by, etc) to retrieve data from mysql tables to ensure efficient operation of your applications.
By following this tutorial, I am assuming you already have fundamental knowledge of relational databases and can write and execute simple mysql queries.

You can also ask any related questions
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 19, 2019
what is database normalization?
Database normalization is the process of structuring a relational database in accordance with a series of so-called normal forms in order to reduce data redundancy and improve data integrity. It was first proposed by Edgar F. Codd as part of his relational model.
Normalization entails organizing the columns (attributes) and tables (relations) of a database to ensure that their dependencies are properly enforced by database integrity constraints. It is accomplished by applying some formal rules either by a process of synthesis (creating a new database design) or decomposition (improving an existing database design).
source wikipedia

In this tutorial, we will use a practical approach in understanding the concept of database normalization.
Before we proceed, let me mention here that if you already have a table with more than 10 columns in your database, such database needs to be normalized!
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 20, 2019
Now, let's explore the concept of the so called normal forms or what I otherwise call the laws of normalization . However, it is very important to state here that a database is considered normalized only when it has attained the third normal form (3NF).

(1) first normal form (1NF) : A table is in first normal form if and only if the domain of each attribute contains only atomic (indivisible) values, and the value of each attribute contains only a single value from that domain.
In summary, a table in 1NF must satisfy the following conditions:
1) Data is stored in tables with rows uniquely identified by a primary key
2) Data within each table is stored in individual columns in its most reduced form
3) There are no repeating rows
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Emdee590(m): 11:38am On Sep 20, 2019
Continue
I am following
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2019
The following table voilets the 1NF rule because there are repeating records in the table, it is not atomic

Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 20, 2019
Next, we normalize the table as follows:
The table is now in its first normal form(1NF).
Alternatively, you can also normalize the table by splitting the columns

Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 20, 2019
2) Second Normal Form : The second normal form (2NF) introduces a new concept called primary key. The general rule of tables in 2NF is as follows:
a) Be in 1NF
b) Single Column Primary Key
For a table in second normal form (2NF), all entries must be associated with a primary key.
We can further normalize the above table by splitting the table into two and introducing a primary key, let's just call it membership id

1 Like

Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 23, 2019
The class will continue today
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by ajeleseujn(m): 10:39am On Sep 24, 2019
Following ...
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Millerules(m): 1:40pm On Sep 25, 2019
Nice Op.
Guys check out Oracle 12C SQL by Joan Casteel. Chapter one dealt with this. Enough to get you on track.
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Emdee590(m): 2:33pm On Sep 28, 2019
Millerules:
Nice Op.
Guys check out Oracle 12C SQL by Joan Casteel. Chapter one dealt with this. Enough to get you on track.
PDF ? Please share direct link here
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by ajeleseujn(m): 5:27pm On Oct 29, 2019
Good work sir
Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 31, 2019
ajeleseujn:
Good work sir
Thanks sir.
I will soon post an update.

1 Like

Re: Database Normalization And Complex Queries Tutorial by ajeleseujn(m): 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2019
zclass:

Thanks sir.
I will soon post an update.

That will be great.

(1) (Reply)

Devs - What Is Your Computer Spec? / I Need A Teacher / All The IT Savys In Here I Need Some Advice 911

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.