Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,077 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad (31935 Views)

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa / Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) / Helicopter Picks Billionaire Stuck In Traffic For 2 Hours On Lagos-Benin Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by sweetmelanin(f): 6:11pm On Sep 21, 2019
These are some general reasons why a lot of Nigerians abroad are unlikely to return home:

▪︎Being Estranged from Family

The longer you stay abroad, the easier it is to lose ties with family over time. This is could be for a number of reasons, mainly being that people naturally just grow apart ... however, many of us unfortunately have a lot of relatives back home who see us as nothing but a means to an end ... there are many betrayal stories of people being scammed by called family members and even cases of witchcraft.. lol.

▪︎Inability to Adapt to the Climate Back Home

Living abroad for a lengthy period of time can make you forget how things are back home. So when you eventually go visiting, the first 2 weeks can be fun and exciting... however, by the third week, the Nigerian climate begins to become exhausting. You start to get agitated by the mediocrity and myopic mindsets of the average person around you... the culture (or lack therein) begins to bother you, the heat, the mosquitos, the extortionate fees for internet use, the lack of electricity, the fake forming of almost every young person... it just gets too much.

▪︎Health Reasons

Those with medical conditions are aware that the health sector in Nigeria is in shambles. As thus, they would rather stay in an environment where their medical needs are met.

▪︎ Introvertedness

Life abroad favours the introvert. In Nigeria, people can be loud, there's not much privacy, people don't mind their business. This is something that a lot of people abroad cannot adapt to ... therefore, they choose to remain abroad.

▪︎ Papers

Some are stuck abroad because of the notoriously known complications of obtaining papers. I don't need to explain this one further.

▪︎ Children

If you've had kids abroad, the thought of moving them back home can be scary as they've already been acclimatised to the lifestyle and upbringing here.

▪︎ Commitments

Those who have gotten married, built a career and bought houses might find it difficult to up and leave what they have laboured for just to return home to an uncertain terrain.

Feel free to add yours.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Vulcanheph(m): 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2019
True talk.....

4 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Suspectzero(m): 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2019
Most importantly...Nigeria is a Shithole!

199 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by ednut1(m): 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2019
What of those stuck in nigeria

155 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by queengift(f): 10:03am On Sep 22, 2019
You are right, besides people need an organized system where hard work pays, and a system that works.

I know God won't disappoint me on my migration plans. tired of Nigeria, my soul had left Nigeria already.

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by sweetmelanin(f): 1:30pm On Sep 22, 2019
ednut1:

You're free to create a topic on that smiley

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by healthserve(m): 9:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
Sweet thread

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:50am On Oct 01, 2019
2.Papers 

Some are stuck abroad because of the notoriously known complications of obtaining papers. I don't need to explain this one further. 
This is the number one reason most Nigerians want to die for obodo Oyinbo.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 01, 2019
Me sef want to get stuck in the abroad cry forget about the real reason.
I'll be fine las las cheesy

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by KingOfAllIgbos: 11:52am On Oct 01, 2019
angry

This is the real reason I just can't return embarassed

Biko, let me manage my Bangladesh like that. undecided

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Sagamaje(m): 11:52am On Oct 01, 2019
shocked
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by lenghtinny(m): 11:52am On Oct 01, 2019
Wash

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:52am On Oct 01, 2019
sweetmelanin:
You're free to create a topic on that smiley
Apt reply! cheesy

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by anambraamaka: 11:53am On Oct 01, 2019
Hmmm
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Spain007(m): 11:53am On Oct 01, 2019
ednut1:

Buhari

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by KingOfAllIgbos: 11:53am On Oct 01, 2019
undecided
Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by slimanyd: 11:54am On Oct 01, 2019
Baba God , Pick my calls too o .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:55am On Oct 01, 2019
slimanyd:
Baba God , Pick my calls too o .
Something good and beautiful will come your way before the end of this month of October 2019.
A miracle everyone will celebrate with you.
JUST BELIEVE!

slimanyd:
A THUNDEROUS AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN. I claim it with faith IN Jesus Name
Your Faith will speak for you.
It is so in the Mighty Name of Jesus CHRIST.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 11:55am On Oct 01, 2019
You forgot the most important one of all

Village_people

9 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by senatepresido: 11:56am On Oct 01, 2019
Because of BUHARI and APC wahala

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Neoteny(m): 11:57am On Oct 01, 2019
"real reasons many stuck in Nigeria can't go abroad"

1 Like

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by islandmoon: 11:58am On Oct 01, 2019
with Bubu on the driver's seat, I'm not boarding that green bus!

2 Likes

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Champele(m): 11:58am On Oct 01, 2019
What more to add, you said it all. How can one leave heaven to go and live in hell

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Madibah(m): 11:59am On Oct 01, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
angry

Joke of d day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Notatribalist(m): 11:59am On Oct 01, 2019
sweetmelanin:
These are some general reasons why a lot of Nigerians abroad are unlikely to return home:

▪︎Being Estranged from Family

The longer you stay abroad, the easier it is to lose ties with family over time. This is could be for a number of reasons, mainly being that people naturally just grow apart ... however, many of us unfortunately have a lot of relatives back home who see us as nothing but a means to an end ... there are many betrayal stories of people being scammed by called family members and even cases of witchcraft.. lol.

▪︎Inability to Adapt to the Climate Back Home

Living abroad for a lengthy period of time can make you forget how things are back home. So when you eventually go visiting, the first 2 weeks can be fun and exciting... however, by the third week, the Nigerian climate begins to become exhausting. You start to get agitated by the mediocrity and myopic mindsets of the average person around you... the culture (or lack therein) begins to bother you, the heat, the mosquitos, the extortionate fees for internet use, the lack of electricity, the fake forming of almost every young person... it just gets too much.

▪︎Health Reasons

Those with medical conditions are aware that the health sector in Nigeria is in shambles. As thus, they would rather stay in an environment where their medical needs are met.

▪︎ Introvertedness

Life abroad favours the introvert. In Nigeria, people can be loud, there's not much privacy, people don't mind their business. This is something that a lot of people abroad cannot adapt to ... therefore, they choose to remain abroad.

▪︎ Papers

▪︎ Children

If you've had kids abroad, the thought of moving them back home can be scary as they've already been acclimatised to the lifestyle and upbringing here.

▪︎ Commitments

Those who have gotten married, built a career and bought houses might find it difficult to up and leave what they have laboured for just to return home to an uncertain terrain.

Feel free to add yours.
Nigeria is not as bad as you portray.. I have been away for over 8years now, and the reason is lack of electricity,thats our major problem.. Believe me many country won't survive if they don't have constant electricity... So our government need to fix that first and believe me 80percent of Nigerians abroad will go back home.. No place like home

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by olujastro: 11:59am On Oct 01, 2019
The actual reasons Nigerians find themselves stuck abroad are:

1. Nigerians are getting more criminal by the day, especially those doing drug trafficking abroad, and continuously ruining the already dented image of the Nigerian passport. So good Nigerians abroad want to acquire another passport first grin

2. Crime is increasing in Nigeria by the day so those abroad don't want to return and get kidnapped.

3. Lastly, Nigeria still lacks basic amenities that should make life comfortable.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by Sweetcollins: 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
When will this end

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad by JONNYSPUTE(m): 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
angry

. Those legs na wa oo. Na your legs?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Isaac Fayose Becomes A Van Driver In UK (Video) / The Sango Ota Flyover Bridge Needs Quick Attention (PHOTOS) / Couple And Their Four Children Die In Auto Crash In Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.