Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare (539 Views)

Whats The Best Story You've Read On Nairaland / Recomend The Best Novel You've Read This Year / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by tpiar: 2:44pm On Sep 27, 2019
This topic is for you. Your lounge.
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 1:03pm On Sep 28, 2019
I've read the complete works of Shakespeare but not sure if I've been through all of the sonnets.

I had a big book with A to Z of Shakespeare's works and one or two summers, I decided to catch up on all his plays. I think the sonnets were included but I'm not sure.

I'm the op.
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by maggilove(f): 7:16am On Sep 29, 2019
The sonnets are included with his other poems : 'The Rape of Lucree', 'Venus and Adonis '.
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 11:18am On Sep 29, 2019
maggilove:
The sonnets are included with his other poems : 'The Rape of Lucree', 'Venus and Adonis '.

Thanks for your contribution. However, let's not politicize the thread, Shakespeare is from centuries ago and the issues people faced then were not exactly the same as the issues faced now (eg metoo movements).

We can discuss his work on it's own merit without colouring it with personal politicking (unless you add the background to the story).

Just a guideline.

The sonnets were written or published the year of a plague epidemic as well.

I think the rape of lucrece was one of the required readings in school (not sure though. It was either that or a Greek classic).
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 11:26am On Sep 29, 2019
Sonnets 1 through 17 are known as procreation sonnets, encouraging a young man to marry and reproduce (info from wiki).
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 11:27am On Sep 29, 2019
Sequence & themes of Shakespeare's Sonnets

Shakespeare's sonnets are stories about a handsome boy, or rival poet, and the mysterious and aloof . . .
lady they both love. The sonnets fall into three clear groupings: Sonnets 1 to 126 are addressed to, or concern, a young man; Sonnets 127-152 are addressed to, or concern, a . . . lady . . . and Sonnets 153-154 are fairly free adaptations of two classical Greek poems. The text of these famous Shakespeare sonnets can be accessed by clicking one of the sonnets links below. The most popular of the Shakespeare Sonnets are Sonnets 018, 029, 116, 126 and 130.

http://www.william-shakespeare.info/william-shakespeare-sonnets.htm
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 11:33am On Sep 29, 2019
Here's a noteworthy one:

Sonnet 29 When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 12:04pm On Sep 29, 2019
Re: If You've Read The Complete Works Of Shakespeare by nlPoster: 5:31pm On Oct 18, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Guns And Roses 18+ / ❤ HIS SON - SEQUEL TO MY CAMPUS LIFE ❤ / I Need An Editor For My Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.