Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,422 members, 7,815,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? (3133 Views)

What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. / I Think These Two Words Are Wrongly Used. / Auchi Polytechnic : Another Okija Shrine And Centre For Monumental Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by Iyke1998(m): 5:24pm On Oct 02, 2019
I use to think that centre is related to a location..
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by scala101(m): 5:26pm On Oct 02, 2019
Iyke1998:
I use to think that centre is related to a location..

center and centre has the same meaning
CENTRE is the British spelling
CENTER is the American spelling

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by Iyke1998(m): 5:31pm On Oct 02, 2019
scala101:

center and centre has the same meaning
CENTRE is the British spelling
CENTER is the[b] American spelling[/b]

Same as
color and colour?

18 Likes

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by scala101(m): 5:31pm On Oct 02, 2019
Iyke1998:

Same as
color and colour?

yeah bro

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by dont8(m): 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2019
American English
Color
Favor
Neighbor
Center
Check
Soccer
Draft

British English
Colour
Favour
Neighbour
Centre
Cheque
Football
Draught

Etc

14 Likes

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by KingTom(m): 9:11pm On Oct 02, 2019
dont8:
American English
Color
Neighbor
Center
Check
Soccer
Draft or Checker

British English
Colour
Neighbour
Centre
Cheque
Football
Draught
Funny enough we interchange the two alot in Nigeria. Sometimes the "AMERICAN" PCs play a major part, by spell checking the British words we use as wrong grin

3 Likes

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by Lonewolf98: 9:35pm On Oct 02, 2019
Depending on your answer, you may differ on which spellings you favor. Center and centre have the same meaning. Center is the correct spelling in American English, but British English writers usually prefer centre. Notice that center (and centre) can be a noun, adjective, or a verb.
Na Google oo.i no Sabi book,Na only graphics design I sabi

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by AdeniyiA(m): 10:07pm On Oct 02, 2019
Center points to the core position while centre points to a place

Eg: #Locate the center of the class.

#This is a centre for religious study

3 Likes

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by susiivy: 10:59pm On Oct 02, 2019
Same meaning , different spelling.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by smeak123: 11:37pm On Oct 02, 2019
The words mean same thing. Centre is British and Center is American
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by silibaba: 11:43pm On Oct 02, 2019
if you ask me, nah who I go ask?
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by YorubaWarior: 11:48pm On Oct 02, 2019
cheesy
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by dont8(m): 5:14am On Oct 03, 2019
KingTom:

Funny enough we interchange the two alot in Nigeria. Sometimes the "AMERICAN" PCs play a major part, by spell checking the British words we use as wrong grin
You're absolutely right and the smart phones' auto-correct inbuilt is not helping matters at all with the Operating System which is either Android or iOS and Computer System either Windows or Mac (all American English embedded).

Those phones and computer manufacturers are Americans, automatically, the language will be American English. Meanwhile, a lot of people failed English because of this interchangeability of the two, a teacher that knows his onion will not hesitate to wield the stick on a student.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by ruggedtimi(m): 5:43am On Oct 03, 2019
AdeniyiA:
both mean same thing...
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by KingTom(m): 6:09am On Oct 03, 2019
dont8:
You're absolutely right and the smart phones auto-correct inbuilt is not helping matters at all with the Operating System which is either Android or iOS or Computer System which is either Windows or Mac.

Those phones and computer manufacturers are Americans, automatically, the language will be American English. Meanwhile, a lot of people failed English because of this interchangeability of the two, a teacher that knows his onion will not hesitate to wield the stick on a student.
Exactly! And many of them are oblivious to this fact. grin

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by nlPoster: 6:32am On Oct 03, 2019
Is this a continuation of why do people eat potato fries with burgers?

Can Nigerians stop this behaviour please, stay in Nigeria if you find abroad too perplexing.
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by nlPoster: 6:32am On Oct 03, 2019
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by tspouse(m): 6:56am On Oct 03, 2019
Mind you,if you write centre in your exam you will fall,use center instead.

Meanwhile. For ur bitcoin minin investment, check my signature
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by chudyprince: 7:43am On Oct 03, 2019
English language is the most confused language on earth
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by jom28gy(m): 8:41am On Oct 03, 2019
But check and cheque are two different things, while the former is to inquire, the latter, is a document.
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by Collins4u1(m): 9:27am On Oct 03, 2019
KingTom:

Exactly.
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by ubcandid(m): 9:37am On Oct 03, 2019
dont8:
American English
Color
Favor
Neighbor
Center
Check
Soccer
Draft

British English
Colour
Favour
Neighbour
Centre
Cheque
Football
Draught

Color is American, while colour is British.
# JUST SAW UR AMMENDMENT
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by UniversalDove: 10:41am On Oct 03, 2019
AdeniyiA:
I remember back in secondary school my teacher marked me wrong for writing center... She said it's Centre...

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by PapaBaby: 11:07am On Oct 03, 2019
tspouse:
Mind you,if you write centre in your exam you will fall,use center instead.

Meanwhile. For ur bitcoin minin investment, check my signature

You got it wrong.
In examination you have to write centre. We were colonized by Britain not America. Our official language is British English.
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by Omoboricash(m): 2:18pm On Oct 03, 2019
AdeniyiA:

Eg: #Locate the center of the class.

#This is a centre for religious study
Pls don't confuse us here. The grammarian has spotted the difference
Re: Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? by UltimatedeBest(m): 3:24pm On Oct 03, 2019
Iyke1998:

Same as
color and colour?

Same as favor and favour

(1) (Reply)

See What This Man Did That Shocked Everybody In ABU Zaria Yesterday / 2017 Lasu Cut Off Marks For All Courses & Department / 28 Secret Facebook Features Only Few Persons Know About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.