Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,037 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. (2982 Views)

Whats The Difference Of These Two Words "Center And Centre" ?? / I Think These Two Words Are Wrongly Used. / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Emmadoc: 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2021
Prof's, what is the difference between Advise and Advice?

Like when or how do you use them?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 23, 2021
Emmadoc:

Advice - a noun > name of a thing
Advise - a verb > action

Eg you can give or take an advice ( a thing)
You can advise (do the action) someone.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by illicit(m): 6:05pm On Jul 23, 2021
Advise is a verb

Advice is a noun

Usage

Can I advise u?

Can I give u an advice?

6 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Romanoff(f): 6:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
Advice is the name, advise is the action.

Eg, I need your advice. (You need a thing called advice.

2. I advise you keep quiet. (You are doing the action).

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by MJBOLT: 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2021
there is C in one and S in the other

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Ahmback(m): 8:36pm On Jul 23, 2021
MJBOLT:
legendary �� gringringringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by NiklauseFred(m): 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2021
MJBOLT:

Legend!! cheesy

5 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by eveninnewspaper: 10:11pm On Jul 23, 2021
MJBOLT:
Sir werey grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Julianaa: 11:26pm On Jul 23, 2021
CharisEleos:

Advise - a verb > action

nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by lilvicky68(m): 11:59pm On Jul 23, 2021
CharisEleos:

Advise - a verb > action

So a person's name can be advice?
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Vyzz: 12:08am On Jul 24, 2021
cool

The are both advize...

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 24, 2021
lilvicky68:

What is a noun? Abi you didn't do parts of speech in secondary School.

A noun is a naming word. It gives names to everything you can see and the ones you can't see but know they exist of which "advice" is one. also known as abstract noun. An idea.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 24, 2021
The difference there is that the one that have C critically have C and the one that have S seriously have S.

Check my signature
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by ceejay10(m): 1:18am On Jul 24, 2021
MJBOLT:
Gbam! Best answer.
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by CruiseMaster1: 2:57am On Jul 24, 2021
Y'all need to learn how to use google,how much this news wan put for person pocket undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by talk2hb1(m): 7:12am On Jul 24, 2021
Emmadoc:

So, Advise is a Dangerous Gift, Even From The Wise,To The Wise. undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by fk001(m): 9:00am On Jul 24, 2021
The person that invented this two words was definitely high on ancient drugs.
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by CheedyJ(m): 9:31am On Jul 24, 2021
MJBOLT:
No time to check time

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Jamahyel(m): 9:42am On Jul 24, 2021
One is used in uk the other in us
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by tchidi066(f): 9:57am On Jul 24, 2021
One is a noun the other is a verb, advice a noun , advise a verb
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 24, 2021
Jamahyel:

Lol.. UK kor abroad ni.. grin.
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by phemmyfour: 11:24am On Jul 24, 2021
Emmadoc:

Advice: Noun
Advise: Verb

Usage:

You are ADVISED to take the ADVICE
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by potent5(m): 11:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Emmadoc:

As posted above, advise is a verb whilst advice is a noun.

In addition, advice is an uncountable noun. Meaning, you should not say: "I want AN advice". Instead, say: "I want A PIECE of advice". Or you say: "I want some advice".
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by dangoteinlaw: 11:44am On Jul 24, 2021
lilvicky68:

werey
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by oyatz(m): 11:46am On Jul 24, 2021
This is the way I remembered them;

1) Noun : The one that has VICE (adVICE) since only humans can be a 'vice' and humans represent nouns.

2) Verb: The other one that's not a noun and thus doesn't have VICE, i.e advise.
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by KingTom(m): 3:36pm On Jul 24, 2021
MJBOLT:
My guy!!!! grin grin
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by WoundedLamb: 4:26pm On Jul 24, 2021
Jamahyel:

Nope. This is not one of those British/American differences. "Advice" is "advice" everywhere and "advise" is "advise" everywhere. smiley

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by WoundedLamb: 4:30pm On Jul 24, 2021
OP, in addition to the correct answers given above, I'd like to point out that the words also have different pronunciations. The "c" is pronounced like the "c" in the word "ice" while the "s" is pronounced like the "z" in "realize".

I advise you to get some advice about this matter.
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by NgoziLovelyn(f): 4:50pm On Jul 24, 2021
This English sef... why making the words different? What's the need of having one as a noun and the other as a verb instead of just having one for the both? sad
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by NgoziLovelyn(f): 4:51pm On Jul 24, 2021
WoundedLamb:
OP, in addition to the correct answers given above, I'd like to point out that the words also have different pronunciations. The "c" is pronounced like the "c" in the word "ice" while the "s" is pronounced like the "z" in "realize".

Nice one my dear

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 24, 2021
WoundedLamb:

What you're trying to explain is called phonograms. Where letter "C" takes the sound of /s/ as in soup, sin and soap when it's followed by the letters> "e, i, y, in a word. Eg. Advi -ce, sau-ce
, for-ce etc.

While the "S" ( es) in "Advise" is pronounced with the marker> /z/ as in zebra, zip and zee.

You tried.
Re: What's The Difference Between This Two Words? Kinda Confused. by Ademola47(m): 7:31am On Jul 25, 2021
CharisEleos:

Advise - a verb > action

Op, take note of this.

In addition, the verb 'advise' can take 'd' at the back to form its past tense, since verb changes with time. It'll become 'advised'.

However, the noun 'advice' can NOT take 'd'. Hence, saying 'adviced' is a grammatical blunder.

Also, they are stressed differently.

(1) (Reply)

JAMB: Nmesoma’s Shuts Down JAMB With Yet Another Result: Video / Unilag Post-jamb Date Is / Uniport Msc/pgd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.