Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,824 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends (21696 Views)

Ooni Of Ife And Aliko Dangote On A Tour Of Dangote Refinery / Bill Gates And Melinda Gates Divorce After 27 years / Abdulrahman Fasasi: Aliko Dangote's Adopted Son (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by naptu2: 6:10am On Oct 03, 2019
A fruitful partnership

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10328736_screenshot20191001235958chrome_jpeged86588d0ba9f134d29651409a9d1c04

How I cemented my friendship with Aliko Dangote

By Bill Gates
October 1, 2019

Have you ever met someone new and immediately felt like you could talk to them for hours?

That happened the first time I met Aliko Dangote. A couple years ago, he and I ended up going to the same event in New York. A mutual friend suggested that I meet him because he knew we were both super interested in global health. So we made sure to sit next to each other at dinner.

As soon as we shook hands, it was clear we had a ton in common. We both started successful businesses in the late 1970s. For our second act in life, we both chose to start foundations aimed at improving health and education. (Today, the Dangote Foundation is the largest such organization in sub-Saharan Africa.)

More importantly, we both love to geek out over things that make some people’s eyes glaze over, like cement, fertilizer, and iodized salt. Check out this video of Aliko’s recent visit to our foundation’s office in Seattle for proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r0EgK9uu0I

That first meeting sparked the beginning of a fruitful friendship. In 2016, our foundations announced a joint, five-year $100 million commitment to reducing malnutrition in Nigeria.

Malnutrition is the greatest health inequity in the world. It’s responsible for nearly half of all under 5 deaths in Nigeria (and around the world). Even if you survive to adulthood, your chances of dying are much higher, and your quality of life is greatly reduced.

One of the ways our foundations are working together to fight malnutrition is through food fortification. Kids often become malnourished when they don’t get enough micronutrients—vitamins and minerals—to digest their food properly. One way to correct this is by adding micronutrients to the food that families—especially those from low-income households—are purchasing every day.

When you go to a grocery store in the U.S., a lot of food already has this fortification. Think iodized salt, or milk that comes with extra vitamin D and calcium. By introducing additional micronutrients to the food people are already eating, you can improve health without changing any habits. Our foundations are now working together to find other staple foods and condiments that could be used to deliver more micronutrients to more people in Nigeria, like fortified bouillon cubes. (I talked with Aliko about this at our Goalkeepers event in New York a couple days ago. You can watch a video of our conversation here.)

Improving health in Nigeria is critical to making progress in sub-Saharan Africa. The country is home to nearly a quarter of all people living in sub-Saharan Africa, and that population is only going to grow in the future. By solving problems in Nigeria, you can have a huge impact on all of Africa.

Aliko Dangote understands this, and that’s why he’s committed to making progress in his home country. Melinda and I are lucky to have him as a partner (and friend!) in improving health.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Working-with-Aliko-Dangote-to-fight-malnutrition

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by naptu2: 6:11am On Oct 03, 2019
naptu2: The Dantata/Dangote family have always been involved in charity work. However these deeds often go unnoticed, because of the family's principles of maintaining privacy and lack of flamboyance.

Al-Hassan Dantata was passionate about education. He backed the establishment of a western style school in the Dala area for hausa (I.e non-fulani) traders' children in the 1930s and established the Dantata english and arabic school in 1944.

Mariya Dangote (Aliko Dangote's mother) donated a hospital, which she built at Rijiya Lemu, to the Kano State Government in 2003.

Aliko Dangote has made the following charitable contributions:

2.5 billion naira to the national fund for flood victims in 2012. 430 million naira to Kogi flood victims. 100 million naira to Sokoto flood victims. $2 million to Pakistan's flood victims. 120 million naira to fight famine in Niger. 600 million naira to women empowerment and free school feeding schemes in Kano State. 500 student capacity hall at Kano State University. 10 million naira annual scholarship for Benue students. $2 million to African Young Leaders fellowship in conjunction with the Forum For Young Global Leaders. $1 million towards education and women empowerment in Tanzania. 1 billion naira to states suffering from the Boko Haram insurgency. 1,000 bed hospital in Kano. And many more

He established the Dangote Foundation which is the philanthropic arm of the dangote Group where yearly he spends millions for worthy causes such as contributions to educational and healthcare institutions, sinking of boreholes and giving of scholarships.

The Dangote Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have jointly pledged to donate huge sums of money towards the eradication of polio in Kano State.

He also established the Dangote Academy.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7021041_dangotefoundationoffersn20millionscholarshipstoindigentstudents1_jpegdfddb1a6abe7115bb89df9697027510e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7021042_dangote530x337_jpege9b094570e24823455c75594a8242cba

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7021048_img20180312wa0010891x470_jpegce85df21b106b93ee4254f3a04c4763d

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7021054_gatesdangotee1453392823577_jpeg28a807343276bd6bcafbdd702763eddd

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by naptu2: 6:11am On Oct 03, 2019
The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires (by Naptu2)
https://www.nairaland.com/891985/dantata-dangote-story-how-create

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by jarawa: 6:13am On Oct 03, 2019
Bill Gate a friend of Nigerians

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by drips8(m): 6:18am On Oct 03, 2019
Two generous men

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Freemanbobble: 6:19am On Oct 03, 2019
Okay
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Tekecoms1(m): 6:20am On Oct 03, 2019
Kuku tell us you used Dangote Cement to cement your relationship with Dangote.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by realestniggah: 6:21am On Oct 03, 2019
I also want to be your friend Bill.. I can teach you zanku

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by 9jayes: 6:21am On Oct 03, 2019
Aliko should come nd let cement dis friendship we started last week.

Upwork and fiverr funds needed at juicy rate.

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by HillLuxury: 6:21am On Oct 03, 2019
Team billionaires

This is  what I sell. In its s grandeur and iconic status, situated in commercial and tourist destination in  Lagos, Nigeria.‎
Meant to redefine Nigeria landscape sector. 
You too can be a part of this historic moment in Nigeria Real Estate sector, when you invest in it.
Buy an apartment 
Hotel room(s) 
Office space 
Live that luxury lifestyle  you want and watch as your investment grows

• Secured future 
• Lifetime of stream of increasing income 
• Oceanfront 
• Average ROI of 29% yearly 
• Tourist Attractions
• Helipad
• Museum etc
Call or whatsapp +2347 0 3 4 5 0 3 3 5 2 for details

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Carsontyqa(m): 6:23am On Oct 03, 2019
Olowos

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by front4aru(m): 6:23am On Oct 03, 2019
they are friends of same feathers, why won't they flock

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by donpapa(m): 6:23am On Oct 03, 2019

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by calculator123(m): 6:24am On Oct 03, 2019
Power of influence.
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by sylve11: 6:24am On Oct 03, 2019
okay......... cool
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by franchasng: 6:26am On Oct 03, 2019
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by anonimi: 6:26am On Oct 03, 2019
drips8:
Two generous men

Let us hope that their generosity will eradicate almajiris and ensure 100% enrollment & retention of children in schools in Kano state?
Do they have almajiris in Dubai

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by mimilogs: 6:27am On Oct 03, 2019
This is beautiful.

Let's help your business grow faster through our rare services. Check my signature
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 03, 2019
He's good iñ charity work towards his northern tribes only.

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by pureola(m): 6:27am On Oct 03, 2019
You mean Bill was the one that approached Dangote ❓

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by anonimi: 6:27am On Oct 03, 2019

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Orissodiq: 6:27am On Oct 03, 2019
God am Waiting for the person that will connect me 2 ooo
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Paulo3ree(m): 6:27am On Oct 03, 2019
"Now checkout our foundation"
That English is far from being Bill Gates grammar

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Olamilekxy(m): 6:29am On Oct 03, 2019
God bless me and every nairalander, give us plenty money

the kind money wey poverty dey fear.
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Rensolar(m): 6:35am On Oct 03, 2019
So that is what Bill Gate's voice sound like grin
The rich always surrounding themselves with like minds

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by notoriousbabe: 6:36am On Oct 03, 2019
See Dangote dey describe african woman yansh to Bill Gates. He be like "Bill your girls here don't have yansh, in Africa our girls are blessed with yansh of different sizes, when next you come to Nigeria, I will find some for you."

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by chloride6: 6:39am On Oct 03, 2019
Who told Dangote is your friend?

Go and open cement factory and check back in a few mins..

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by Rensolar(m): 6:40am On Oct 03, 2019
chloride6:
Who told Dangote is your friend?

Go and open cement factory and check back in a few mins..

He runs the government
Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by maleeks(m): 6:41am On Oct 03, 2019
Philanthropists

Re: How Bill Gates And Aliko Dangote Became Friends by JeffreyLiaison(m): 6:47am On Oct 03, 2019
All these guys commenting nonsense if you know what Bill Gates especially through his foundation has been doing for Nigeria you would stop talking nonsense

Explosion Hit Calabar CBN / How Can I Become A Billionaire At 36! / You Have Money And You Need Business Ideas?