Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

"GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" (27239 Views)

Cheap Tokunbo 2008 Nissan Versa For Sale. Uber And Bolt Riders Take Note / Paid For Fuel Using Opay / Buy GPS Trackers From Us At Wholesale Prices (CUT FUEL/STOP ENGINE, 10K) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by shegzhkn: 2:34pm On Oct 05, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

Yep. It's just data. The data is faked and transmitted. Server side code simply interprets what is sent. I guess if it becomes a big enough issue, the app owners will find a way of authenticating the GPS data.
Right now, it's not obvious that they do.

Wow , they are vulnerable , so no SSL anything can go into their system without check , if they want to make headway in a place like naija , they need to strengthen their security architecture.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by JustHector(m): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
The Opay platform is a fraud. I ordered food from Ofood, and after waiting for well over 1 hour from a location less than 800mtrs from the merchant, I decided to cancel and asknfor a refund, only for the merchant( God's own kitchen at Allen avenue)to reject cancellation, and claimed that food has been delivered.. I reached out to support and after 4days,they replied saying my money #600 cannot be refunded because merchant claimed she delivered food..Imagine
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by omoadeleye(m): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

why?

You are still asking why? That's nonsense na
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Amazingprince: 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
Damm Nigerians complain alot and they are damm hard to please,
you guys complain alot abeg, u know opay z not yet perfect and you know how ur country situation is yet this guy are investing hard.. they are not even up to a year yet but they have flood everywhere, the op nd u all should take a chill pill abeg.
how many times hv ur ntwrk over charge you or took ur credit, what about ur bank not to talk of Nepa, or the amount of times u get cheated at filling station. didn't u enjoy their N50, N100, N200 promo what about the N10 food... una complaint plenty abeg
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Hylla05: 2:59pm On Oct 05, 2019
Win upto #500,000 in this free contest! Click this link now https://refer.ng/photo-challenge-voting/Hylla05/vote-this
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:01pm On Oct 05, 2019
Afiahomes:

Mech without a car? shocked shocked

where is Sienna? grin grin

E go better, one day door go open i go get car, for now make i de fly bike

4 Likes

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Afiahomes(m): 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

E go better, one day door go open i go get car, for now make i de fly bike
thank God you got my drift.......God is with you cool grin
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:12pm On Oct 05, 2019
omoadeleye:

You are still asking why? That's nonsense na

ok

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by mu2sa2: 3:19pm On Oct 05, 2019
olumzzz:

Mr Oga, how can you claim to pay 3k for an 8k trip. Even if you were to report been overcharged, you would at least have paid the 8k else driver no go let you go.
Forgive me if i don't believe your story.
Perhaps he himself doesn't believe you dont believe him!

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 05, 2019
Pauldollars:

Mr. Beans and Plantain. Is it a graphic picture? No.
Dunce, learn the meaning of the word privacy!
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by abiolaoladipupo(m): 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2019
Megir:
That is the handwork of low end Chinese android phones. Their GPS accuracies is very poor.
Most of this Operators knows and they usually deliberately go for such phones.
iPhones, Xiaomi,Oppo,HTC and Samsung are more reliable.
The management of Opay should do something about this fraud before it cripple their business.

You're right.

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by eedriyz(m): 3:41pm On Oct 05, 2019
I had a similar experience yesterday. I think it's their system
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by nauto8: 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2019
cheesy
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Ernesthugo(m): 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2019
Obviously mine was sakamaje
It is well they have refused to refund me

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Pauldollars(m): 4:25pm On Oct 05, 2019
jcmaiah:

Dunce, learn the meaning of the word privacy!

E dey pain you say person lecture ur Medula Oblangata today? Go and tell OP that grammar.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by khalidx: 4:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
BEANSndPLANTAIN:
You should at least blur the names on the screenshot
oversabi go kill una
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by special4kenny(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2019
I equally have the same experience that day too 3/10/2019. A trip from Ogba to Berger, I was charged #1600. I called the customer support and they said that it was a general issue that day. They promised to refund but I have not received that still.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by special4kenny(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2019
I equally have the same experience that day 3/10/2019. A trip from Ogba to Berger, I was charged #1600. I called the customer support and they said that it was a general issue that day. They promised to refund but I have not received that still.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Legendguru: 4:54pm On Oct 05, 2019
Really
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
For a trip I was to pay 300 for but ended up paying 1890 for ,that was the day I uninstalled the app and patronized babalawo
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Innogee: 7:02pm On Oct 05, 2019
Your pick up location would have been wrongly misinterpreted by the GPS.
Always check to ensure the location on your GPS is the same as your physical location.

Otherwise, you may be wrongly bilked

On Thursday 3rd October 2019 i used the services of the popular OPAY ride in Lagos, from ojodu Berger where you have the Bovas petrol station on ogunnusi road to my shop off college road ifako ijaye.

It was a smooth ride and the rider was very pleasant and experienced.

On reaching my destination i clicked on the pay icon without even bothering to look at how much the trip would cost, i am a heavy user of the app so i estimated in my head it would not be more than ₦230 due to distance and duration also factoring the discount I get each time I use the account option.

I was curious and decided to take a look at the trip after the rider left, when I looked I was shocked ! A trip of 4.6km was billed at ₦967!! I checked the review of the map and noticed gps spoofing in local terms "sakamje" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

It could have been intentional or it could have been gps failure, but what ever the case, I have reported it. The customer service is really not so efficient as all I got was we will escalate it sad still waiting for the escalated refund but in the mean time everyone should always review their trips for GPS fraud.

Below is a screen shot of the trip, and the screenshot of a longer trip.[/quote]
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by sisisioge: 7:10pm On Oct 05, 2019
Actually, this might not be their fault, it could be GPS fault. I once had an experience with Uber where the driver didn't know the road and he was following the google map. Infact, I had the address on my google map too. Alas, the map directed us to take a route off a mainroad and showed that we would eventually return to the same road at the tail end. Hian, I insisted that the guy continued on the road that we already were on and we arrived without hitch. So it could be GPS issue.
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by adeshina86: 7:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
I have also had dis same experience, mine was from dideolu estate ikeja, before I boarded the app told me my preferred distance will be between 225-320, on getting to my destination, the guy now turn on his phone and I ask y was his phone off b4, he said he's having battery challenge, fast forward to my bill and he said 1200, but I was discounted 400, to pay 900, I was having 500 inside my opay wallet, thinking since the trip suggested low fare before embarking kn the trip...I suspect fowl play, so since then I stop using opay...

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:42pm On Oct 05, 2019
Unna don de commot closet one by one

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by simiolu1(m): 7:58pm On Oct 05, 2019
shegzhkn:

well i agree with that , the question now is , is it good enough to penetrate backend system of OPay?

I can tell you that OPay's backend is wack.

1. Their pin reset process is flawed. A pin reset token is valid for more than one pin reset request.

2. Their pin change process is flawed too. If you reset your pin and it goes through; then next time your app locks, it won't accept the new pin you changed to moments ago.

3. Their GPS location has very very bad accuracy. Uber's location system is light years better than OPay's.

I told OPay to go sack their back-end devs in a thread I did yesterday on Twitter. As usual, their customer care slid into my DM and gave me the "we will escalate to the appropriate quarters" response.

PS: I'm a software developer myself

https://twitter.com/simioluwatomi/status/1180044438040657920?s=21
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by Uruan2023: 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2019
50 naira ride here in Enugu
70 in uyo
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by olanie(m): 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2019
This is a classic case of the gps error from tecno, infinix, itel, ... and the likes.
Ride hailing coys should ensure drivers use only smartphones with inbuilt gps chipset not agps phones to protect the integrity of the system
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by OyiboOyibo(m): 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2019
MountainView:
Please blur that name, make dem no come sue you for been stvpid and ignorant.
Your own ignorance is a mountainview indeed
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by mychelyte(m): 12:55am On Oct 06, 2019
Let me tell you their secret! It's the riders that are extorting customers, this is what they do;
Once you order a ride,immediately he spoke with you on phone to ask of your location, he will immediately clicked that he had reached the pickup location and passenger picked,of which he may be far from you sef,so they will be calculating duration and distance from the moment he clicked passenger picked up, till he reach you then take you to your destination. They do that so that their own share of the money they charged you will be high..because they are already calculating your charges from the moment he said passenger picked up.

Anytime you order for a ride and the app notify you just immediately after the rider called you but he has not gotten to where you are,call the customer care/service and ask them to cancel the order for you! Then you can place another order.

That's what they do.

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:40am On Oct 06, 2019
mychelyte:
Let me tell you their secret! It's the riders that are extorting customers, this is what they do;
Once you order a ride,immediately he spoke with you on phone to ask of your location, he will immediately clicked that he had reached the pickup location and passenger picked,of which he may be far from you sef,so they will be calculating duration and distance from the moment he clicked passenger picked up, till he reach you then take you to your destination. They do that so that their own share of the money they charged you will be high..because they are already calculating your charges from the moment he said passenger picked up.

Anytime you order for a ride and the app notify you just immediately after the rider called you but he has not gotten to where you are,call the customer care/service and ask them to cancel the order for you! Then you can place another order.

That's what they do.

This theory makes no sense. Unless trip is started you will not be billed.

1 Like

Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by deedee44: 7:36am On Oct 06, 2019
mychelyte:

That's what they do.
You're wrong
Re: "GPS Spoofing By OPAY Riders: My Experience" by shegzhkn: 8:03am On Oct 06, 2019
simiolu1:

I can tell you that OPay's backend is wack.

1. Their pin reset process is flawed. A pin reset token is valid for more than one pin reset request.

2. Their pin change process is flawed too. If you reset your pin and it goes through; then next time your app locks, it won't accept the new pin you changed to moments ago.

3. Their GPS location has very very bad accuracy. Uber's location system is light years better than OPay's.

I told OPay to go sack their back-end devs in a thread I did yesterday on Twitter. As usual, their customer care slid into my DM and gave me the "we will escalate to the appropriate quarters" response.

PS: I'm a software developer myself

https://twitter.com/simioluwatomi/status/1180044438040657920?s=21

Lol @ the customer care rep response , did you sit on OPay and explore deeply their vulnerability ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

................. / Toks Black On Black 2013 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4matic 100K Miles N6.5m / CLEAN 06 COROLLA 5.2M LAST LAST!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.