Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,300 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades (21339 Views)

Ambrose Alli University Reacts To Forcing Medical Students To Sign Undertaking / Babcock University Reacts To Sex Video Of Expelled Students That Leaked Online / List Of Lecturers Accused Of Sex-For-Grades Scandals (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by solmusdesigns: 9:32pm On Oct 08, 2019
asanwafo:
I wonder when a lecturer has assumed the position of school that give admission. In corruption, the giver and the taker are all culpable

Abi the man na jamb registrar and his office cbt center
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by Yakarii: 9:37pm On Oct 08, 2019
[s]
solmusdesigns:

Abi the man na jamb registrar and his office cbt center
[/s]
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by asanwafo: 9:38pm On Oct 08, 2019
chrisagyei:
the thing is,in Ghana, we have seen deeper investigative journalism by Anas and Manasseh Azure who get into the core of the issues and show you hardcore evidence that nobody can deny. What the BBC did was a very clumsy inconclusive and poor work.
Firstly, the said student was not in the lecturer's class thus he couldn't influence her grades and secondly there was no intimate touch much more sexual relationship or even a mere discussion of if change of grade can occur had a sex taken place.Nothing was agreed.The lady refused the relationship or marriage proposal and that was the end.You can't go around screaming sexual harassment or sex for grade with such shallow evidence. Anas in his investigation really bribed a judge for a real case to be dismissed, he bribed a referee for a premiership match to be rigged and a dubious penalty awarded.He really gives the money to the GFA president and doesn't ask for it back. That's what we call hard evidence. He doesn't just tell the judge i will give you money but refuses and runs to the public claiming rot in the judiciary with just an audio promise. Next time,do a proper job or hand it over to real professionals like Anas
She was on a revenge mission. She is not even employable. Am still surprise that BBC could employ such a drop out and sent her on such sensitive reportage
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by asanwafo: 9:43pm On Oct 08, 2019
rottennaija:

Go watch the full length documentary
I watched on NTA yesterday at 11pm. The documentary was nonsense. If that were to be her M.A and am the supervisor, I give her zero
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by asanwafo: 9:52pm On Oct 08, 2019
nextstep:
Fair enough... I have to agree to the logic of the arguments that there was no offer of sex for grades in this particular case.

However, I feel solicitation is against the rules of conduct of the University, and should be heavily discouraged.
Did the rule forbid lecturers from marrying their student?
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by Chienex24(m): 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2019
luminouz:

Be logical bro...

That's one thing I have against most Nigerian youths,they seem to have lost the capacity to critically look at a case and analyse it logically not spewing emotions everywhere like a wailing banshee.

Based on the evidence shown, did they actually sleep with those students or give them marks for sex? They propositioned the students inappropriately, so its gross misconduct from them,not the other issues BBC raised as headlines.
What would have been a better case is if the undercover reporters are actually registered students and they slept or made the lecturers admit that they will give them marks for sexual favours...the clincher would have been if a video evidence of such admissions were to be aired by BBC....

What y'all reacting to are gross misconduct or inappropriate behaviour from the lecturers and by this huge blunder from BBC,the real student slayers would go aground, restrategize and come back stronger to torment the victims.

A snake and a lion are different animals but you kill them the exact same way...NEVER LEAVE EITHER BREATHING. SO LONG THEY STILL BREATHE, YOU ARE NEVER SAFE.
This is exactly one of the disadvantages of democracy!! So with your right thinking mind, the lecturer should be caught red handed with the undercover journalist before it is termed sex-for-grades? For the record, how many cases have you heard that has been prosecuted or investigated?
Most of these crimes are institutionalized in our universities and with a very weak system like we have here in Nigeria were a President can openly disobey court orders, these crimes never see the light of the day!!
While I you try to broing in proper logic here by terming it "gross misconduct" or any big man language as u dim fit, you don't wait for your daughter to be raped before calling it rape!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by rottennaija(m): 10:06pm On Oct 08, 2019
asanwafo:
I watched on NTA yesterday at 11pm. The documentary was nonsense. If that were to be her M.A and am the supervisor, I give her zero

What a relief you are not the one marking. Meanwhile, through her giant strides, she has set in motion a series of event that will eventually shape the landscape of future policies that will be aim at protecting out vulnerable girls in school. It may take months, years, even decades, but eventually, most people will be called to account, better policies will be made and efforced, many will lose their jobs, some demoted, so jail time... Eventually, many in the future will appreciate the effort she made.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by asanwafo: 10:12pm On Oct 08, 2019
[quote author=Legonviking post=82958930][/quote] Can they marry their student? If yes, how does relationship that leads to marriage start?
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by asanwafo: 10:17pm On Oct 08, 2019
rottennaija:

What a relief you are not the one marking. Meanwhile, through her giant strides, she has set in motion a series of event that will eventually shape the landscape of future policies that will be aim at protecting out vulnerable girls in school. It may take months, years, even decades, but eventually, most people will be called to account, better policies will be made and efforced, many will lose their jobs, some demoted, so jail time... Eventually, many in the future will appreciate the effort she made.
As if other Nigerian journalists have not done what she did even better before. U will not accept that she did shoddy job simple cos she is BBC journalist.
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by rottennaija(m): 10:24pm On Oct 08, 2019
asanwafo:
As if other Nigerian journalists have not done what she did even better before. U will not accept that she did shoddy job simple cos she is BBC journalist.

What has other journalists in Nigeria did? Can you give examples? And what made it a shoddy job?
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by Litmus: 10:24pm On Oct 08, 2019
Ghana people always deny, Nigeria people always accept. No mater how blatantly true and obvious Ghanaians will deny, no mater how blatantly false and obvious Nigeria will accept, negativity being the common denominator undecided
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by temielects(m): 10:27pm On Oct 08, 2019
They are correct..you'd need to see the full video on YouTube,you'd see it's unilag lecturers that are extremely hot about it as for that Ghana uni it's not that obvious the lecturer even took the lady shopping bought her shoes and things,after which he demanded for a hug which was not granted by the lady and he never forced himself on her,the lady agreed to be his girlfriend but unknowing to him it was a Set up grin
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by nextstep(m): 11:20pm On Oct 08, 2019
asanwafo:
Did the rule forbid lecturers from marrying their student?

It's a tricky problem: marriage between lecturer and student is not forbidden, but relationships are frowned upon because of the power imbalance. Of course, you can't get to marriage without a relationship.

If a lecturer is serious about a girl, the appropriate thing would be to wait until they don't have power over a student (over her grades, or her graduation status, or anything academic), so that the relationship would have the appearance of being between equals.

But in general, the rule is supposed to discourage cases where professors abuse their positions to pressure people (boys and girls) into doing things (either bring money, or bring body). It's also to discourage a student receiving unfair favor because of their relationship with the lecturer.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by aspirebig: 11:48pm On Oct 08, 2019
Even after the released video?

I watched the video naa, it was Unilag and Ghana University side by side.

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by luminouz(m): 11:59pm On Oct 08, 2019
Chienex24:

This is exactly one of the disadvantages of democracy!! So with your right thinking mind, the lecturer should be caught red handed with the undercover journalist before it is termed sex-for-grades? For the record, how many cases have you heard that has been prosecuted or investigated?
Most of these crimes are institutionalized in our universities and with a very weak system like we have here in Nigeria were a President can openly disobey court orders, these crimes never see the light of the day!!
While I you try to broing in proper logic here by terming it "gross misconduct" or any big man language as u dim fit, you don't wait for your daughter to be raped before calling it rape!!

Calm down hommie and be objective naa

A second unilag lecturer mentioned in the video was suspended today at work. Why? He was heard asking for sex for change of course or admission on the video...now that is concrete evidence. Not only is it gross misconduct but also sexual harassment. I was cool with his suspension because he actually said he wanted sex for other favours.

My post you quoted had no such admission by the lecturer in question. He never mentioned sex for marks or even sex for anything. He propositioned a 17 year old geh,which is clearly a case of underage violation and gross misconduct or inappropriate work ethics.

Did you hear of the OAU Prof and AAU Ekpoma lecturers' cases? They were caught red handed bro. One on tape,the other physically with his pants down around his ankles. Based on this evidence,they were dismissed. If you want to curb the menace of sexual predators, leave no stone unturned. Get them to admit their goals on tape or video evidence and you will get justice.

That's my submission.
If you still don't understand what I wrote up there,I really can't help you further.

Peace Out!
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by stormborn28(m): 1:00am On Oct 09, 2019
solmusdesigns:
angry

here in nigeria we would wail and wail but wouldnt conduct a simple investigation or file criminal charges with valid proof...

See mumu Giant of Africa falling for British media without sense while small Ghana had conducted investigation Nigerians jumped into conclussion, Nigeria is truly a backward nation

nonsense ...i don't need a prophet to tell me these things happen... Example is the useless former lecturer of OAU serving jail term Prof. Akindele

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by trilobite: 2:52am On Oct 09, 2019
TheCalculator:

Seriously!!!
Would this happen in UK and US and they will blow it everywhere this way?
We Nigerians are just somehow!!!

So Donald Trump and Kavanaugh's alleged sexual assault was subdued? And the "Me too" movement is a joke?
You guys should keep creating hell for your daughters.

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by trilobite: 2:58am On Oct 09, 2019
loswhite:
don't weep..... just prove them wrong...Show them the sex for grades. Why put up a misleading headlines?

So sex must happen? He must physically assault her before you believe?

The documentary is a case study of sexual assault in African universities, sexual assault doesn't always involve physical sex. It can involve inappropriate looks or comments towards the opposite sex. You sir, are a part of the problem.

More needs to be done to educate people like you.

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by LONGPREEK(m): 3:35am On Oct 09, 2019
correct university. the hoe can go to hell
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by LONGPREEK(m): 3:38am On Oct 09, 2019
trilobite:

The documentary is a case study of sexual assault in African universities, sexual assault doesn't always involve physical sex. It can involve inappropriate looks or comments towards the opposite sex. You sir, are a part of the problem.

u are a real bastard. so all the female lecturers and female students that kept looking at my big chest and my big dig when ever i wore tight jeans or trousers have sexually harrassed me? or the ones that where bold enough to complement me by saying i am handsome or sexy have sexually harassed me right? thunder fire your brain
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by trilobite: 5:24am On Oct 09, 2019
LONGPREEK:
u are a real bastard. so all the female lecturers and female students that kept looking at my big chest and my big dig when ever i wore tight jeans or trousers have sexually harrassed me? or the ones that where bold enough to complement me by saying i am handsome or sexy have sexually harassed me right? thunder fire your brain

Hell yeah!! Like I said, you really need to be educated. Travel out to developed countries and see if students call their lecturers "sexy" anyhow.

Students wear bum shorts to lectures in US, UK, China etc. Lecturers over there don't use that as an excuse to try rubbish because they know the law works there.
Over here, we still have people like you who are still stuck in the 20th century line of thought. Emancipate yourself.

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by loswhite(m): 9:06am On Oct 09, 2019
[quote author=trilobite post=82968991]

More needs to be done to educate people like quote]

Sexual assault is an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent, or coerces or physically forces a person to engage in a sexual act against their will.[1] It is a form of sexual violence, which includes rape (forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration or drug facilitated sexual assault), groping, child sexual abuse or the torture of the person in a sexual manner. Please Educate your self. How can you say in appropriate look and comment as sexual assaults....lol otondo Educate yourself and stop been clouded by emotional sentiment
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by loswhite(m): 9:09am On Oct 09, 2019
trilobite:

Sexual assault is an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent, or coerces or physically forces a person to engage in a sexual act against their will.[1] It is a form of sexual violence, which includes rape (forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration or drug facilitated sexual assault), groping, child sexual abuse or the torture of the person in a sexual manner. Please Educate your self. How can you say in appropriate look and comment as sexual assaults....lol otondo Educate yourself and stop been clouded by emotional sentiment
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by midnighter(f): 9:10am On Oct 09, 2019
LONGPREEK:

If someone stares at you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable then it is a type of harassment...whether sexual or not

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by Iriruaga100(m): 9:34am On Oct 09, 2019
sinceraconcept:
you must be a rapist that have gotten away with rape several times

You don't need to tag everyone a rapist who have different views from yours!! Get sense... BBC did a shoddy job. Sex was not traded for grade in the video.. The headline is wrong!!
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by trilobite: 11:44am On Oct 09, 2019
loswhite:

Forced Sexual Contact- force doesn’t always refer to physical pressure. Perpetrators may use emotional coercion, psychological force, or manipulation to coerce a victim into non-consensual touching of private areas. This also includes forcing a victim to perform sexual acts they do not want to perform, such as MouthAction or penetration. (https://firststep.org/education/sexual-assault-topics/what-is-sexual-assault/)

It's nice you went on Wikipedia!! grin grin I have tried in that regard grin grin. So here's mine, being forced doesn't mean the use of physical pressure, like it says in my quote above.
A perp can be accused of emotionally, psychologically pressuring girls to sexual acts against their will without any physical contact. It is 20th century thinking to believe you need to physically force a girl before sexual assault has taken place.

1 Like

Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by loswhite(m): 2:23pm On Oct 09, 2019
trilobite:

Forced Sexual Contact- force doesn’t always refer to physical pressure. Perpetrators may use emotional coercion, psychological force, or manipulation to coerce a victim into non-consensual touching of private areas. This also includes forcing a victim to perform sexual acts they do not want to perform, such as MouthAction or penetration. (https://firststep.org/education/sexual-assault-topics/what-is-sexual-assault/)

It's nice you went on Wikipedia!! grin grin I have tried in that regard grin grin. So here's mine, being forced doesn't mean the use of physical pressure, like it says in my quote above.
A perp can be accused of emotionally, psychologically pressuring girls to sexual acts against their will without any physical contact. It is 20th century thinking to believe you need to physically force a girl before sexual assault has taken place.
Read your post carefully..... There must be touching... So I ask the question again how can in appropriate look and comment amount to sexual assaults?
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by trilobite: 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2019
loswhite:
Read your post carefully..... There must be touching... So I ask the question again how can in appropriate look and comment amount to sexual assaults?

How else can one put non-physical pressure? By spiritual force? grin grin

I repeat again "non-physical pressure".
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by tck2000(m): 9:03pm On Oct 09, 2019
Hmm
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by LONGPREEK(m): 12:24pm On Oct 11, 2019
trilobite:

Hell yeah!! Like I said, you really need to be educated. Travel out to developed countries and see if students call their lecturers "sexy" anyhow.

Students wear bum shorts to lectures in US, UK, China etc. Lecturers over there don't use that as an excuse to try rubbish because they know the law works there.
Over here, we still have people like you who are still stuck in the 20th century line of thought. Emancipate yourself.
yes this is nigeria. if you wear bum shots to my class and i am a lecturer i will make sure i Bleep your ass and pussy. dare me and ask your sister to wear bum shots to my class and see hw we do it here in our under developped country
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by samorobo: 1:08pm On Oct 11, 2019
chrisagyei:
I have watched the full video and I speak on behalf of the two Ghanaian lecturers who never touched the girls.The girls likewise claim they were not their students in the video. They were asked to be in a relationship and they refused and that was it.No grades can even be promised since they claimed they're not in their class.You see in Ghana we're strongly patriotic and we don't wash our dirty linens in public. This case will be handled internally and nobody will hear of it again. We don't just believe and accept anything from outside against our people. That's why our public image and reputation is among the best in Africa regardless of our internal affairs which is still clean and an open society though. And mind you our media was ranked number 1 in Africa and number 23 worldwide ahead of even the UK media in the 2018 World Press Freedom Index.

Stop telling yourself that rubbish. You should be made the chief hype of Ghana....which reputation....
Is it the ones you have in your physical infrastructures or what grin grin
Re: Ghana University Reacts To BBC Video: No Evidence Of Sex-for-grades by trilobite: 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2019
LONGPREEK:
yes this is nigeria. if you wear bum shots to my class and i am a lecturer i will make sure i Bleep your ass and pussy. dare me and ask your sister to wear bum shots to my class and see hw we do it here in our under developped country

Enough said!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

School Where Pupils Sit On Floor To Learn In Akwa Ibom (Photo) / My Review Of Utme 2024 Utme Mathematics Examination (they Set Sin40°) / Photos From Unilorin Students' Union Election Manifesto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.