Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,497 members, 7,830,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Existence Is Not Predicated On Morality ! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Existence Is Not Predicated On Morality ! (580 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Great Article On Morality And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Existence Is Not Predicated On Morality ! by UyiIredia(m): 3:42pm On Nov 05, 2010
I had a discussion with Kay 17 that touched on this issue. Below are statements I made (note how they concur with the topic) in contrast with Kay 17's and requisite links (which link to a previous thread, started by Mudley, from where this question emanated) :

"Besides if i were to even treat this question >>> this debate would derail in to an a debate bordering on moral philosophy"
- Uyi Iredia

"Kill Morality and you destroy Humanity!"
- Kay 17

"How >>> do you want me to infer that morality is the basis of man's existence"
- Uyi Iredia

"Morality are like subtle laws, which are the basics of laws. Humans as social animals, require this as a bond to a human community, creates an atomsphere of cooperation and controls conflict. Remove morality, and chaos sets in."
- Kay 17

"Moral laws aren't required for social bonding ,  Chaos has a pattern (viz-a-viz order) "
- Uyi Iredia

"[url=http://]If every individual is granted absolute freedom, to the extent of killing another man. What would the world be like? You send mankind back to his most primitive state and man will face extinction! Sure fact.[/url]"
- Kay 17

"nah !!! >>> man would evolve a 'new morality' inter alia >>> 'all-or-nothing' fallacy is what
you are using here >>> there are other plausible scenarios which could play out if there is no morality
"
- Uyi Iredia

And this is where my dilemma (as regards Kay 17's conclusions starts). Does Kay 17 think that my assertion (as a Christian) that existence is predicated not predicated on morality amounts to a volte (within the subject of theodicy) ?

Existence doesn't depend (nor is predicated) on morality. An assertion I make. If you object to it, state your case. That's why I made this thread.

>>> This is where my thinking begins to parallel with Satre's, not minding our diverse gnostic stances (i.e religious views)  <<<

It is when man exists that he begins to build morality for himself. Morality is necessarily artificial, demonstrated by how it evolves with respect to the prevalent zeitgeist.

>>> Think about how the effect of the Black Death on the waning significance of the Church's authority which in my opinion cascaded into the French Revolution in 1729 (sic) which birthed the concept of "the seperation of Church and State".  <<<

Please drop comments and let's talk morality  cool smiley
Re: Existence Is Not Predicated On Morality ! by Joagbaje(m): 7:40am On Nov 06, 2010
Morality is the manifestation of the God part in every person. That is why in every culture , there is moral chide and justice. Because there is a witness of God in every man which is called "conscience" .

But we know that now morality without christ is nothing.
Re: Existence Is Not Predicated On Morality ! by UyiIredia(m): 1:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
I still stand by the statement in the thread's title. Where's Kay 17 ? Passing through.

(1) (Reply)

I Need The Contact Detail Of The Ower Of This Site / Quotes / Spiritual Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.