Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,545 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

How Can I Help My Child Succeed In School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Help My Child Succeed In School? (379 Views)

How Can I Help My Son Unlearn This / Help, My Child Is Already A GENIUS @ 3! / Help My Child Is 8 Months And Wife Is Pregnant Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Help My Child Succeed In School? by Tomvad: 11:54pm On Oct 08, 2019
Fine, your kids have successfully resumed, you’ve gotten them what they needed for resumption, what a relive that is! But is that all? No! Honestly, your kids have teachers, but who is their first teacher? It’s you! Think of your kids as a beautiful edifice that needs to be constructed to resist wind, fire, and other negative impacts that could wreak havoc on the existence of the building.

Then, think of yourself as the client – the owner of the building. Will you give careful consideration to how the foundation is laid? Definitely! After the foundation, will you relax and never bother about how solid what is later erected on the foundation would be? Indeed, as an intelligent client, you will ensure that the foundation is well built, and further construction to complete the work will be thoroughly monitored.

In like manner, in ensuring that your child does better at school, you have the sole responsibility to lay a solid foundation, and further knowledge that he or she receives – from teachers and other people – must be thoroughly checked and evaluated. But how best can it be done? I have outlined 11 simple and easy ways to help you answer the question: “how you can I help my child succeed in school?” Assuredly, if you apply all these, you will earn good rewards eventually!

11 Ways to Help Your Child Succeed in School

1. Speak With Your Child’s Teacher. If you’ve read on tips on resumption, you will recall that meeting your child’s teacher was highlighted as part of what a parent can do to assist his or her wards in resuming well. This point also makes up the first thing a parent can do to help his or her child. So, tread this part to apply this first tips.

How to do it:

Tell the teacher that you want to help your child
Ask the teacher to contact you if there is a problem
Ask him to inform you of ways you can assist your child at home and your boundary in helping him
Humbly request that he or she monitors the kind of company your child keeps.
Know essential personnel in the school

Bonus Tips: If he has to monitor your child, he needs to be tactful. After the end of each term, you might want to offer him a tip; that will be a pleasant thing to do.

2. Attend Parent-teacher Conference/Meeting: When I was a teacher, it amazes me that some parents do not care about this part. But when a minute issue – increase in fee or other things spring up- they head straight to the school, ready to make inquiries. It used to dawn on most parents when the director would tell them, “it’s been discussed at the meeting, and parents who were present all agreed; hence, the school stamped it.” I know it’s not always easy, but these tips will assist you

How to do it:

When you get to know that a conference or meeting will be coming up, be determined to attend
Set a reminder and ask your child to remind you
Write down the list of things you will love to talk about.
Postpone whatever you want to do so you can have the privilege to attend
If you wouldn’t be able to make the meeting, find someone to stand for you or ask the person to record whatever is being said

Bonus Tip: If you record some parts, do not distribute it, limit it to your use.

3. Apply For Special Session. This is another amazing tip to answer the question: “how can I help my child succeed in school?” In some schools, they make extra classes compulsory, while in some, it is based on parents’ needs. If your child goes to one of the schools where additional classes are not mandatory, then try these tips

How to do it

Demand from your child’s teacher if your ward needs extra classes
Ask to know if he can take charge on weekends. If he can’t, ask if he can refer someone.

Bonus Tips: Don’t overburden your kids with school activities – reading and assignments. Allow them to play. The time they will spend on extra classes on Saturdays should be between 3-4 hours.

4. Help With Homework. Each day, homework will be given to students. Show your care about that. When we were small, after returning from school, our mum will ask for our homework and asks us to attend to them. After that, we will resume our regular duty. But these aren’t all.

What to do

Be there to watch him or her handle assignments.
Buy the necessary materials to ease the process
Monitor him at least 3-4 times in a week.
Listen carefully when your kids ask questions.
Don’t do the assignment for your kids; only put him through.
If you figured out that you are unable to guide her, seek another person’s help.
Praise your child’s effort
Help him to be a good organizer

Bonus Tip: Be sure that the person you are hiring is of the same gender as your child.

If you care for the complete list, you can read up through this link: https://tomvad.com/how-can-i-help-my-child-succeed-in-school/

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Change If You Have Just One More Year To Live? / 3 In 1 Baby Bundle (care Set + Electric Breast Pump + Baby Rattle) / Akwa Ibom Politician Making Isolation Less Isolating And Boring With Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.