Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? (46112 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / What Class Were You, When You Read This Book? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by SirLiquidGold: 10:19pm On Oct 10, 2019
BananaTree:

If you had done enough, you wouldn't need to blame a lecturer for 0.02. If you're a first class person, your personality, not certificate, would distinguish you.
I hope you are female dear banana tree. I want to fall off you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by SirLiquidGold: 10:28pm On Oct 10, 2019
ArticleBeast:
It reminds me of Michael my roommate. Everyday, Michael reminded me that my study of Linguistics was useless. For Michael, studying Chemical Engineering was the passport to good life. Last month, I saw Michael on Lastma uniform chasing Danfo drivers. Trust me, I rolled my window down, screamed Michollo (the Engineer) but shame didn't allow my nigga to come close. I would have at least given him 5000 naira to change his faded uniform grin cheesy
there is no clear cut path to success in life

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by pocohantas(f): 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2019
Nezero:

The HR is an envious bitch

No, I don't think that was the case. He simply told him they didn't request for such. Gave it back to the nearly first class guy...
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by grandstar(m): 11:37pm On Oct 10, 2019
What he means is "a very strong Two One" grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by nlPoster: 11:52pm On Oct 10, 2019
I cant make head or tail of this thread.

All I see is the poster complaining about people's degrees followed by a photoshop of a baby with teeth and (ostensibly) born in the US. The picture is also on the web as "baby with teeth".

Other posters are commenting about their own degrees which are better than some certain other degrees, some are saying they sat for exams in other disciplines besides their own and also helped others sit for their own exams, and aced them.

Much confusion here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by nlPoster: 12:23am On Oct 11, 2019
ornicus:

You need to stop this. You have been out of school for too long to be carrying my course is better than yours. That reeks of low EQ. I know agric engine grads who are now business titans. Your focus on the past says that may be all you have

While franchasng and the thread itself makes no sense (just another bashing thread as usual), discussing the actual past (not an invented one) doesn't mean a person is uncomfortable with the present. On nairaland for example, most topics are neither here nor there, not everyone is interested in topics like big ukwu, how many girls someone banged, how much is brothel, where is brothel, complain about Nigerian women, how can somebody get manfriend or boyfriend, turn family section into nonsense section, etc etc. That is some people's present which not everybody can relate with.

The past cannot be "all a person has" as long as they are in the present. Quantifying everything in such blank detail can only lead to existential or empirical confusion which would leave the "relegator" lost.

Of course, if there's something to hide then mentioning the past would be off limits.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by femi4: 5:48am On Oct 11, 2019
pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

Is it regret or pride? I don't get it,
You are either First class or a Second Class Upper. Deal with it... grin
Its regret with a little pride. E.g of such gp is 4.44

Some 2-2 guys will even tell you that their gp is strong 2-2 i.e 3.0 and above grin

Summary: The "nearly first class " and "Strong 2-2" are filled with regret cos they slightly missed their target and are quick to let everyone know how close they were

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 11, 2019
SirLiquidGold:
I hope you are female dear banana tree. I want to fall off you

Why does my sex bother you? Fall and die.

4 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by tech18: 2:29pm On Oct 15, 2019
cheesy nearly First Class

Before reading the thread, I thought I am goimg to see a statement of result with NEARLY FIRST CLASS grin

Nearly First Class means a CGPA of 4.30-4.49 in 5 point scale...so it is nearly 4.5
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Appswheel(m): 6:11am On Oct 19, 2019
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ElasticStone(m): 6:13am On Oct 19, 2019
Cc: Danxplore
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by kenex4ever(m): 6:15am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

You won't understand how much it pains until u are in same shoe someday.

What class of degree it is; in student's terms some call it upper 2.1 angry
always write your CGPA on your CVs to differentiate you from regular 2.1s.

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Newnas(m): 6:23am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

I think some schools have an A- category.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by mercyvivv(f): 6:25am On Oct 19, 2019
Here to learn. 2.2 graduates are the best!

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

It's called a First Class 2.1 it's to let people know levels dey amongst 2.1(s)

2 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by clems88(m): 6:30am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Nawa o. Thank God say you no get that First Class, all of us for done leave NL for you.

E be like we go thank that lecturer wey help us clip your wings.
I tell you. The guy has pride angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by olatunyemi(m): 6:32am On Oct 19, 2019
My father was a first class graduate, it really do hurts knowing that you miss out on a slight margin. In my case, I heard our department has just a first-class since 1962 of establishing the department and I also had a senior who was better than me and was not given. Since then, I zeroed my mind on until my last two semesters when it dawn on me that by picking 3 electives each in my last three semesters could have boosted it to more than 4.5.

One of my lecturer was constantly motivating and telling me to break the jinx but another said sincerely that others who have been denied would not want me to break it.

Furthermore, I joined school politics and that was another engagement affecting my focus.

I have moved on and I don't blame anyone, even me, because I believe it was destined

4 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by mrphysics(m): 6:35am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Nawa o. Thank God say you no get that First Class, all of us for done leave NL for you.

E be like we go thank that lecturer wey help us clip your wings.

It's obvious the lecturer was right.

My sincere appreciation to the lecturer for denying him a first class.

Ehen Poco, I haven't asked you about your prediction in the last election. We all know you never believed the obvious outcome we all saw and preached. I am mentioning it because the guy called all APC supporters illiterate and I know you share same conclusion. grin grin
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by mrphysics(m): 6:38am On Oct 19, 2019
olatunyemi:
My father was a first class graduate, it really do hurts knowing that you miss out on a slight margin. In my case, [b]I heard our department has just a first-class since 1962 of establishing the department and I also had a senior who was better than me and was not given. [/b]Since then, I zeroed my mind on until my last two semesters when it dawn on me that by picking 3 electives each in my last three semesters could have boosted it to more than 4.5.

One of my lecturer was constantly motivating and telling me to break the jinx but another said sincerely that others who have been denied would not want me to break it.

Furthermore, I joined school politics and that was another engagement affecting my focus.

I have moved on and I don't blame anyone, even me, because I believe it was destined
I hope you know the above emboldened statement is a statement of pride?

Why do Nigerians derive joy in the negativity. It is common to see students say "Only 1 person got an A in that course, half of the class failed it" . And they say it to brag on how their university is difficult.
Common, your lecturers weakness or stupidity shouldn't be a thing of pride.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by contigiency(m): 6:38am On Oct 19, 2019
ornicus:

Oya 2.1 olodo, shut up when APC illiterates are talking. For a person who should have had a first class gpa, you seem only interested in the status and not much else.

I am your dad, I finished with a first therefore you must do well in school. I finished with a first, so you better shut up when I am talking. Hr must be third class graduates.

For your sake , I hope you have outgrown your ego. It will be a much bigger impediment . Maybe your 2.1 was Life’s way of putting you in check, other wise every other time you will be telling people , I am a first class graduate, so I know what I am talking about, shut up

If I am not mistaken poco is also a first class grad, and she has never once used that in an argument. Ditto for Jarus. I had one intern with a first. Very mellow guy. You would never have known.

The bolded is where you said it all like a true son of your father that you are. He forgot that first class or whatever grade he graduated with shows his class or level both in character and in learning. That's why they say that you pass through school and the school should also pass through you.

Education is not just the paper you came out with after graduation, but includes all moral actions taken intentionally purposely by an individual or a group of persons to bring about positive change in behavior. He had planned how to brag and insult APC illiterates or anyone for that matter with his class, but like you rightly said, life has partly checkmated his arrogance with the class he graduated with.

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Chukwurah003: 6:40am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

This Aunty sef
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 6:41am On Oct 19, 2019
ornicus:

You need to stop this. You have been out of school for too long to be carrying my course is better than yours. That reeks of low EQ. I know agric engine grads who are now business titans. Your focus on the past says that may be all you have
To a very large extent, he is correct. I have witnessed computer science dropped and advised to take other courses. The only issue is his proud approach towards presenting his case which I must say is appalling.

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by DTC2(m): 6:42am On Oct 19, 2019
FuckBots:
Dry thread undecided

You can modify now

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by wasuka14(m): 6:46am On Oct 19, 2019
Bro rest anger is in your blood. You may not make heaven with this heavy mindset. Pride goes b4 a fall remember. No human is 100% perfect, free your mind of hanger and pride.
franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

You won't understand how much it pains until u are in same shoe someday.

What class of degree it is; in student's terms some call it upper 2.1 angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Sman37(m): 6:50am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

It has been years na and you say you are doing well. I don't know of any job that is open to First class and not to 2.1. So, it isn't so bad.

I remember when I was looking for my "first job", there was this nearly first-class guy that had his statement of result alongside a printed copy of its breakdown (lets call it a transcript). It reeked of pride and the HR just tore it off.

I understand how painful it can be, but years later when people have moved on from first degrees- one shouldn't be hanging on to such.
Sure! if u are chance with them in any interview just proof ur 1st class brain not cert and I asure u will override many or some of 1st class cert wit 2nd class brain.
Let be realistic a lot of people may have graduated with 1st C but 9ja factor #............and also some 1st C a pushed to get just cus of some favoritism in their homeland univ......!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Chuksmonika(m): 6:50am On Oct 19, 2019
every Nonsense this OP formulates will always hit FP,i suspect she is dating one of the mod.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Gerrard59(m): 6:51am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

It has been years na and you say you are doing well. I don't know of any job that is open to First class and not to 2.1. So, it isn't so bad.

I remember when I was looking for my "first job", there was this nearly first-class guy that had his statement of result alongside a printed copy of its breakdown (lets call it a transcript). It reeked of pride and the HR just tore it off.

I understand how painful it can be, but years later when people have moved on from first degrees- one shouldn't be hanging on to such.

Dufil Prima (makers of Indomie) and TGI Holdings are exceptions. Some top MNCs, by having a first class makes one get invited for a test especially if the individual graduated from not-so-popular university. Regarding the topic, some scholarships and funding come with the criterion, so it can be a painful thing for someone who nearly finished with one. Which is why it is pertinent that current students take their studies seriously. What the lad did by printing his grades' form smacks of ignorance and pride. However, some firms will overlook it and coach him on the need not to behave in a such a manner if he eventually gets the job. These firms just like first class graduates like that.

So you finished with a first class? Good to know.

2 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Truthbites: 6:58am On Oct 19, 2019
FuckBots:

I was honest with you and said your thread was dry.
Explain how that makes me angry or depressed.
That someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that person is emotionally defunct. undecided

The thread isn't dry, a lot of people have read it already

2 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Kingrexyl(m): 6:59am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

And this stupid thread made frontpage Arseholes!!!
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by larryking540: 7:05am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
It has nothing to do with doing well financially, we are talking about the pride of saying yes I graduated with first class, knowing you merited it.....something you can use to scold your children in future.....something you can use on a campaign ground to shut APC illiterates should the need arise, has nothing to do with money. When you are denied what you worked for and merited, it hurts more than when you obviously failed.

That HR must be a 3rd class graduate, its their way angry angry

if Na me b the HR I will even set the paper on fire at his front.... Wats the pride of copying and pasting Wat a lecturer taught u but in the real world u are so dull
or they think life is copying and pasting more like Microsoft Excel.... allllllllllll the nearly first class better wake up to reality

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Praktikals(m): 7:06am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him
Your case should be a textbook example that shows wisdom is not the same as academic brilliance. Wise people advised you to show humility, but your arrogance won't let you.
You will reject Buhari s appointment? So no be only arrogance dey worry you, folly sef join undecided

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Useku(m): 7:08am On Oct 19, 2019
One woman wrapper always asslicking babes for here says he almost made a first class.

Alaye,na wash, that story you just told is popular on naija campuses.

No be your story,when Sabi men see real first class content we dey know.

Na you be everything just to trend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / Long, Black Snake Killed In UNILAG Postgraduate Hostel / Students Lie-Down To Receive Lessons In A Ghanaian School (snapshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.