Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,920 members, 7,848,720 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:18 AM

Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now (828 Views)

Badluck Met Our Super Eagles, Now They 've Turned To Chickens / Eagles Now To Face Congo / Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by supereagle(m): 5:46am On Nov 06, 2010
Twenty four hours after he was appointed the new Chief Coach of the Super Eagles, Samson Siasia has appealed to soccer loving Nigerians not to expect an immediate turning of the team into a world class brand.

In an interview monitored on Top Radio in Lagos, Siasia, who appealed for patience from Nigerians, said the Eagles would not be turned into a “great team” immediately as it would take a gradual process to achieve,

“Nigerians should not expect a great team immediately. We are going to rebuild and it would take some time, all I am asking is for patience from everybody,” he said.

He said there would be nothing like a permanent team, alluding to the previous situation when some so-called big players had a permanent place in the team irrespective of their form.

Siasia also thanked Nigerians for believing in him and clamouring for his appointment as the new Eagles, stressing “I owe the appointment to them.”

He disclosed that he would work with his Dutch friend Simon Kalika, who has been with him both at the Flying Eagles and Olympic Team days, as his assistant and together they would change the team’s tactics to make them play more offensively.

He assured that though he would make some changes in the team to achieve a good result, it would not be too drastic.
“The manner of team you will see on the field of play would be offensive minded, free flowing football. There will be a difference,” Siasia said, adding that “during my interview with the NFF Technical Committee, I told them my short and long term vision for the Super Eagles as well as the 2012 Africa Nations Cup.

I also told them that we have to look at the areas we have to inject new players. We don’t want to say we are going to ask all the old players to leave. But we have to look at the areas we think we have to inject new players. That would be when I watch their matches again and also go around scouting for other players that I think I have to put in there,”he stressed.

Also speaking on radio, Chairman of the Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Association, NFA Barrister Chris Green said that Siasia had an edge over his rival, Stephen Keshi because “he is a grass-root man.”

He said the Bayelsa-born gaffer has been on ground in the country for the past six years and has worked with the youth teams and knows their mentality and would be in a better stead to mould the young players into solid squad for future assignments.

He added that Siasia has flair and technic and has a good rapport with the players as has been exhibited in both the U-20 and U-23 teams he has handled so far.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/siasia%E2%80%99s-appeal-don%E2%80%99t-expect-a-great-eagles-now/
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by supereagle(m): 5:57am On Nov 06, 2010
Siasia will be paid N5 million per month for his services while the assistants he is expected to pick would also earn N3m each.
Amodu was paid N2m
Larger Pay collected $300 000 for 5months .
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by Radiant(f): 3:22am On Nov 07, 2010
Whatever, Siasia. Just go do your damn job and stop pulling out before you even begin. Patience ko, Patricia ni
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by ishit4body(f): 3:24am On Nov 07, 2010
We might have as well put a dummy there then!
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by supereagle(m): 3:41am On Nov 07, 2010
We always want quick result in Nigeria.
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by mensdept: 4:41am On Nov 07, 2010
Radiant:

Whatever, Siasia. Just go do your damn job and stop pulling out before you even begin. Patience ko, Patricia ni

Abeg. What is this for? Do you want him to come and say Naija will reach semi final like Lagerbeer? Up SIA1

supereagle:

We always want quick result in Nigeria.

True Dat. But at least the consensus among many folks is that for the first games SIA1 coaches, we should have solid performances
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by Radiant(f): 5:58am On Nov 07, 2010
mens dept:

Abeg. What is this for? Do you want him to come and say Naija will reach semi final like Lagerbeer? Up SIA1

All I'm saying is that he should stop pulling out before he even begins. Giving a notice in case things go wrong. Whoever expects much from him. Or let's see if he'll blame his pay cool

Get a good, well experienced coach, give him enough time to adjust and get used to the Nigerian madness, pay him well and let's see if things won't turn around.
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by Okijajuju1(m): 6:29am On Nov 07, 2010
We have given him 5 years to change these old men to fresh bloods who play the offensive style of football that we were known for. Strenghten our flanks with super fast wingers and bring back the era of the NO.10 Jersey! A play maker who has flare and can deliver world class passes.

We stand fit behind you Sia1.
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by supereagle(m): 7:53am On Nov 08, 2010
He must deliver.
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by deb(m): 5:24pm On Nov 08, 2010
The biggest problem of Nigerian fans is that we are never patient.
It took Westerhof 5 solid years to build a formidable team. He could have been sacked long before he achieved his aim,
but thank God he had the backing of the then Military head of states. Question now is, will Nigerian fans be patient enough after
the current depleted Eagles expectedly refuse to win their first 5matches under Siasia?

I guess he would be sacked again and our football will never develop again as long as we continue with the cycle
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by mensdept: 11:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
deb:

The biggest problem of Nigerian fans is that we are never patient.
It took Westerhof 5 solid years to build a formidable team. He could have been sacked long before he achieved his aim,
but thank God he had the backing of the then Military head of states. Question now is, will Nigerian fans be patient enough after
the current depleted Eagles expectedly refuse to win their first 5matches under Siasia?

I guess he would be sacked again and our football will never develop again as long as we continue with the cycle

1st of all you have a point in the sense that coaches need time. But let's be careful here because that shouldnt be used as an excuse to promote mediocrity.
2nd, why bring in those useless "Miliitary Head of States" here as if they were responsible for our glory time in soccer.
3rd, Sia1 may not win his first five games 7-nil, but there should be substantial change and progress, including utilizing FIFA days to play friendly matches, proper arrival of players prior to a match, match fitness, transparent team selection, you name it. The basics of course
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by PhilMoane: 4:09pm On Nov 09, 2010
Like South Africa had not played world winning game yet.
But everyone knows there are great improvement in the Team.
S.A. plays Brazillian style nowadays.
It is a step at a time.
We may not jump into the Zenith suddenly,
But we need a change.

In those beautifull days, I was proud of my Super Eagle though they lost to Italy and the Argies(1994)

Good football is not about winning all matches, but about sometimes loosing honourably.

The Only Indigenious coach I know could bring that change is SIA ONE.
Re: Siasia’s Appeal: Don’t Expect A Great Eagles Now by Radiant(f): 5:07pm On Nov 09, 2010
mens dept:

1st of all you have a point in the sense that coaches need time. But let's be careful here because that shouldnt be used as an excuse to promote mediocrity.

Spot on!

(1) (Reply)

Swimming!. / Chelsea Fan, Hitler Reacts To Hazard's Sending Off / Riches To Rags: Millionaire Footballers Who Lose Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.