Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,577 members, 7,837,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum (26753 Views)

Covid 19: First Time Flyer With Malaria Fever Causes Panic In Kano. / I Finally Went For A HIV Test First Time In My Entire Life / Baby As Small As A Can Of Coke Survives Against The Odds (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Herroy: 2:33pm On Oct 13, 2019
Good job@OP.
Regarding the feeding part, I would not advise breastfeeding your baby whilst lying down or sleeping. This is because the breast can mistakingly cover the infant's nose (suffocation).. God forbid bad things.
I would advise the nursing mother to sit resting her back on pillows resting on the wall..that way you could also doze slightly.. yes, it is not easy..truth is once you become a mother, you can no longer afford to sleep deeply, you have to be alert especially to the baby. May God strengthen all expecting and nursing mums.
beeijeoma:
Surprising things you may not know about newborns

1. Some babies are born without eyelashes and eyebrows, but it grows as the baby gets older

2. In the 24 hours after birth you may notice baby spitting up saliva or bubbles. This is normal they are just spitting up the remnant of amniotic fluid.

3. The first poop from your baby is dark green or black looking. This is meconium that has been sitting inside your baby's digestive tract. It is usually kind of sticky as well . It is also a sign that your baby is getting fed and his or her digestive system is working. The quantity varies from baby to baby and usually by the next day or day after the poop changes to the normal yellow mustard color that is characteristic of baby poop

3 Newborns hiccup a lot. They can have hiccups up to 10 times a day. Once this happens just breastfeed the baby and they will be fine

4 Newborns kind of jump or shake like they are scared. This is also very normal. The baby has been enclosed in a tight space for 9 months and when they move while in the womb they touch your insides and all. but now when they move they don't feel anything around them so it is kind of startling for them. Hence the jumpy kind of reaction.

5 Newborn babies eat a lot . If you are breastfeeding don't be surprised if your baby cries for food every 2 hours day and night. It is normal for some babies. My first kid would breastfeed all night, if the breast falls out of his mouth he would scream. I quickly learnt to breastfeed him lying down as that was the only way I could sleep

6 Newborns are prone to Jaundice . Please ensure you check your baby's eyes and skin after you have been discharged from the hospital as jaundice causes yellowing of the eyes and skin . It is not good for babies as it is caused by excess bilirubin in the blood. If you notice this take the baby to the hospital asap

7Newborn babies breath fast and they breathe in a funny way too. Just keep an eye on the baby to be sure that its not more than just the regular breathing

8 Newborn babies are born with 3 soft spots on their head 2 at the back and 1 in front. The frontal one is the most noticeable and it pulsates when you look at it. Do not do anything to it as it is normal and will close on its own after sometime

9 Newborn babies can cry. Do not let this scare you most times its either they are hungry, need a diaper change or they just want to be carried. As you and your baby get to understand each other you will be able to tell exactly why your baby is crying.

10 Babies are born with wrinkled and sometimes dry skin. This is normal because of the amniotic fluid they have been in. Use the normal baby soaps and lotions and before you know it your baby's skin will be smooth

Dos and Don'ts of newborn care
1 Do not put silverbird eucalyptus oil on a baby's soft spot. It can cause burns

2 Do not put your baby directly under a ceiling fan or facing standing fan to avoid colds and coughs and breathing issues

3 If your baby is unwell and you have tried home remedies please head to the hospital once 24 hours have passed with no improvement

4 Do not use anything to press the babies belly button just do normal cord care and your baby will be fine

5 Do not give newborns any medicine except it is prescribed by the doctor. No paracetamol, no vitamin c,, no cod liver oil, no antibiotics .It is not necessary.
6 Please do not give your baby any form of agbo or herbal medicine sometimes they cause more harm than good.

7 Baby should sleep under a mosquito net to avoid the baby catching malaria

8 Always put barrier cream on your baby at each diaper change. Vaseline is best and will help prevent your baby from getting diaper rash

9 Never give a baby under 1 year of age honey. It can make them seriously sick.

These are the things I remember now will update if anymore come to mind

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Yuneehk(f): 2:33pm On Oct 13, 2019
Very insightful. Following..
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by helinues: 2:34pm On Oct 13, 2019
FloraEC:

Yeah till 1year, if possible from 13mths

Why?

1 Like

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by ogorwyne(f): 2:34pm On Oct 13, 2019
Really cool tips op. But I don't know how I feel about breastfeeding your baby while lying down or trying to sleep. Especially when the baby is still very young.

My mom is also an an exclusive breastfeeding advocate. She fed us all on breast milk for the first six months and I'm going to do same when the time comes. But the part where you wrote that breastfeeding is painful ehn. I used to think that it would be the same thing with that normal level oh. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Mac12(f): 2:36pm On Oct 13, 2019
beeijeoma:
Today I will look at lochia, episiotomy and episiotomy care

Lochia is simply after birth discharge that is experienced by women after giving birth. It is made up of blood and mucus and tissue . The discharge can last for up to 6 weeks and usually starts out as very deep red and lightens in color as the days go by. It is important for a new mom to take things easy after delivery as too much stress can increase the quantity of lochia experienced.
As a ftm the things you need to deal with this discharge are
1.Disposable pad eg Lady Sept and always . Lady sept is just like thick cotton wool with a net holding it together . It has no wings like always so there is a tendency for underwear to get stained so its advisable to buy always too.What I did was layer my undies first with always before I now put Lady Sept . It saved me the stress of washing stained undies
2. Disposable underwear (optional)
3. Undies that have a good or tight grip to be able to hold the pad in place
It is advisable to wash yourself with water every time you change your pad and the pad should be changed as often as possible to avoid bad smells and infection.

Episiotomy
If a woman has never had a baby the birth canal is usually very tight and sometimes when delivering a baby for the first time the canal may be so tight that it does not allow the baby come out easily. If the baby is left to force his or her way out it could result in terrible tears that may not be easy to repair and could also cause excessive bleeding . What medical personnel do is give you an episiotomy which is basically a cut and this cut is done at the peak of a contraction . My first child had a very big head and I was given a double episiotomy that is cut in 2 places. I didn't feel the first one but I felt the second cut and it was really painful. Once the episiotomy is given the baby slides easily out of the birth canal. Once the baby and placenta have been delivered the next step is to stitch the episiotomy. I was given anesthesia before my stitch was done and I feel every mom should ask for it. I cant imagine being stitched without them numbing the place first.
For episiotomy care you need
Sitz bowl or a big bowl you can sit in comfortably
Salt
Disinfectant ie Dettol
You fill your sitz bowl or regular bowl with warm not HOT water , put in the salt and Dettol and sit in the water for about 10 mins . It is good to do it twice a day both morning and evening. I did this for about a month when I had my first and would do it after I had my morning and evening bath
The episiotomy site gets a bit swollen and can be quite painful . I used to seat on a hard surface stool and it helped the swelling go down a bit, but the pain was a bit much and I was walking funny for about a week after having my son

Plaese do not use hot water for sitz bath it can damage your stitches and you may have to go back for re stitching. It is also advisable to have someone check your stitches before you are discharged from the hospital . My double episiotomy was not properly stitched and i almost cried anytime i looked at my vjay are in the mirror it was a mess and intercourse with my hubby was slightly painful. It improved but i knew something wasn't right, It was when i had a tear with my 2nd baby that they were able to stitch me properly and put everything right again and i was back to normal

Thank you very much ma for this write up. I really did enjoy it.
I have a 4months old Baby, still on exclusive breastfeeding. He weighs 10kg, I am really getting worried. I don't eat junks over eat. Is there something wrong or something that can be done to help shed this fat

1 Like

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by jewelbaby55(f): 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
am almost 9 months I just pray everything works out well.. I think I'll try this exclusive...

7 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
Noted. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 13, 2019
ogorwyne:
My mom is also an an exclusive breastfeeding advocate. She fed us all on breast milk for the first six months and I'm going to do same when the time comes. But the part where you wrote that breastfeeding is painful ehn. I used to think that it would be the same thing with that normal level oh. grin grin

Lol. I can imagine it being painful cos d motive dey different.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by FloraEC(f): 2:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
helinues:

Why?

Honey contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which can germinate in a baby's immature digestive system and cause infant botulism. Infant botulism is a serious illness that can be life-threatening to a baby. Botulism causes muscle weakness and occurs in large intestine of babies which can be very fatal and can also lead to difficulty in breathing, difficulty in eating and swallowing etc.

It is advisable to introduce honey at 12m up if possible from 13m because their digestive system have developed enough to handle the bacteria.

HTH

6 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by FloraEC(f): 2:53pm On Oct 13, 2019
Mac12:

Thank you very much ma for this write up. I really did enjoy it.
I have a 4months old Baby, still on exclusive breastfeeding. He weighs 10kg, I am really getting worried. I don't eat junks over eat. Is there something wrong or something that can be done to help shed this fat
What was his birth weight?
Is chubby or fat in your/betahalf gene?

2 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by helinues: 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
FloraEC:

Honey contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which can germinate in a baby's immature digestive system and cause infant botulism. Infant botulism is a serious illness that can be life-threatening to a baby. Botulism causes muscle weakness and occurs in large intestine of babies which can be very fatal and can also lead to difficulty in breathing, difficulty in eating and swallowing etc.

It is advisable to introduce honey at 12m up if possible from 13m because their digestive system have developed enough to handle the bacteria.

HTH

Jesu..you for type am in a lay man languages now

Clostridium botulinum.. Part of my head don dey pain me

1 Like

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Onyiilugo(f): 2:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
Remain blessed ezigbo mmadu , Educative I am enjoying my excussive Breast feeding on my Bby girl.I am still breast-feeding her @13 months with other fooods

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Mac12(f): 2:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
FloraEC:

What was his birth weight?
Is chubby or fat in your/betahalf gene?

3.5kg at birth...
Not at all but I'd they are very tall
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by enemyofprogress: 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2019
Dominique I take God beg you, please take time to read this over and over again, you are going to need it soon kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by FloraEC(f): 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
helinues:

Jesu..you for type am in a lay man languages now

Clostridium botulinum.. Part of my head don dey pain me
Lolzzz, kpele
Honey no good for pickin wey dy under 1yr because e fit give am disease wey dy call botulism wey go make e muscle weak, e no go dy breathe or swallow well.
To cure am, the pikin fit stay for NICU(neonatal intensive care unit), they go come put oxygen give am so e fit breathe + other things wey fit follow am and na better money e go be.
So prevention is better than cure.

15 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by vivypretty(f): 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
Now I feel like being a mother. Nice one op.
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Gbtothetop: 3:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice tips there...
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 13, 2019
beeijeoma:
Surprising things you may not know about newborns

1. Some babies are born without eyelashes and eyebrows, but it grows as the baby gets older

2. In the 24 hours after birth you may notice baby spitting up saliva or bubbles. This is normal they are just spitting up the remnant of amniotic fluid.

3. The first poop from your baby is dark green or black looking. This is meconium that has been sitting inside your baby's digestive tract. It is usually kind of sticky as well . It is also a sign that your baby is getting fed and his or her digestive system is working. The quantity varies from baby to baby and usually by the next day or day after the poop changes to the normal yellow mustard color that is characteristic of baby poop

3 Newborns hiccup a lot. They can have hiccups up to 10 times a day. Once this happens just breastfeed the baby and they will be fine

4 Newborns kind of jump or shake like they are scared. This is also very normal. The baby has been enclosed in a tight space for 9 months and when they move while in the womb they touch your insides and all. but now when they move they don't feel anything around them so it is kind of startling for them. Hence the jumpy kind of reaction.

5 Newborn babies eat a lot . If you are breastfeeding don't be surprised if your baby cries for food every 2 hours day and night. It is normal for some babies. My first kid would breastfeed all night, if the breast falls out of his mouth he would scream. I quickly learnt to breastfeed him lying down as that was the only way I could sleep

6 Newborns are prone to Jaundice . Please ensure you check your baby's eyes and skin after you have been discharged from the hospital as jaundice causes yellowing of the eyes and skin . It is not good for babies as it is caused by excess bilirubin in the blood. If you notice this take the baby to the hospital asap

7Newborn babies breath fast and they breathe in a funny way too. Just keep an eye on the baby to be sure that its not more than just the regular breathing

8 Newborn babies are born with 3 soft spots on their head 2 at the back and 1 in front. The frontal one is the most noticeable and it pulsates when you look at it. Do not do anything to it as it is normal and will close on its own after sometime

9 Newborn babies can cry. Do not let this scare you most times its either they are hungry, need a diaper change or they just want to be carried. As you and your baby get to understand each other you will be able to tell exactly why your baby is crying.

10 Babies are born with wrinkled and sometimes dry skin. This is normal because of the amniotic fluid they have been in. Use the normal baby soaps and lotions and before you know it your baby's skin will be smooth

Dos and Don'ts of newborn care
1 Do not put silverbird eucalyptus oil on a baby's soft spot. It can cause burns

2 Do not put your baby directly under a ceiling fan or facing standing fan to avoid colds and coughs and breathing issues

3 If your baby is unwell and you have tried home remedies please head to the hospital once 24 hours have passed with no improvement

4 Do not use anything to press the babies belly button just do normal cord care and your baby will be fine

5 Do not give newborns any medicine except it is prescribed by the doctor. No paracetamol, no vitamin c,, no cod liver oil, no antibiotics .It is not necessary.
6 Please do not give your baby any form of agbo or herbal medicine sometimes they cause more harm than good.

7 Baby should sleep under a mosquito net to avoid the baby catching malaria

8 Always put barrier cream on your baby at each diaper change. Vaseline is best and will help prevent your baby from getting diaper rash

9 Never give a baby under 1 year of age honey. It can make them seriously sick.

These are the things I remember now will update if anymore come to mind

Thanks so much for the efforts you put together in passing the message across to us. If Nairaland can be more be serious like this it will be appreciated. I'm reading them for my wife to be ooo

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by MVLOX(m): 3:08pm On Oct 13, 2019
Lemme carefully read and pass this information to my wife who is due for delivery later this month....

8 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by sweetilicious(f): 3:11pm On Oct 13, 2019
Let me comment to keep for future use
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 13, 2019
Well after reading your thread I'm going to Bleep sombori and pour sperm so that baby will form cool
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by LadySarah: 3:14pm On Oct 13, 2019
Herroy:
Good job@OP.
Regarding the feeding part, I would not advise breastfeeding your baby whilst lying down or sleeping. This is because the breast can mistakingly cover the infant's nose (suffocation).. God forbid bad things.
I would advise the nursing mother to sit resting her back on pillows resting on the wall..that way you could also doze slightly.. yes, it is not easy..truth is once you become a mother, you can no longer afford to sleep deeply, you have to be alert especially to the baby. May God strengthen all expecting and nursing mums.

Nothing will happen.
Waking up every two hrs to bf sitting down can make one crazy.
Even in the hospital,we were taught how to lie down to bf.Just place a towel on ur arm to stop any trickling towards the ear and lean back sortof.

They didnt call it vigilante for nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by helinues: 3:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
FloraEC:

Lolzzz, kpele
Honey no good for pickin wey dy under 1yr because e fit give am disease wey dy call botulism wey go make e muscle weak, e no go dy breathe or swallow well.
To cure am, the pikin fit stay for NICU(neonatal intensive care unit), they go come put oxygen give am so e fit breathe + other things wey fit follow am and na better money e go be.
So prevention is better than cure.

You get mouth..

Respect

2 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by mabebe1(f): 3:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
Herroy:
Good job@OP.
It's true it can cause suffocation especially if u have a big breast or u fall deeply asleep...... God helped me because I was able to lie down and feed my baby due to the fact I had a C section...He's 9months now, very well and healthy

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Esetim(f): 3:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
Thanks for the informative write up. I'll start following you so I can get updates.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
I really needed this right now. Can't wait to meet my bundle of joy wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by 9ja083: 3:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
Good work. Thanks for sharing. Ppl will learn a lot from this.
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by chayoski: 3:58pm On Oct 13, 2019
[quote author=beeijeoma post=83094967]
Thank you for enjoying my write up. Yes the thoughts are overwhelming . Fear of labor pain, fear of how to care for the baby , fear of if you will be a good mom. You are not alone it is the same for all FTM. Anytime I start getting scared back then I would just think of all the women that have kids and just be like this person did it, that person did it. Why would my case be different. You just have to push all those thoughts and fear out of your mind.

I am a realist and I don't like sugar coated information just give it to me the way it is. I don't know anything that can ease labor and delivery except epidural . If it is available in your hospital take it. My first two kids was normal delivery while my 3rd was with epidural. The epidural birth was completely pain free in fact I was watching TV till it was time to push. Labor and delivery is painful but it is not unbearable and it only last for some time. Its good to have a family member with you to help rub your back when the contractions come and in your mind just focus on the fact that the baby you have been growing inside you is almost here. As a FTM what surprised me most was not even the labor pain but the pushing part. I just felt the baby would slide out once you get to 10cm cervical dilation. Pushing the baby out is a bit tough as well and you have to get it right. I will do a write up on how to push during labor in a later post. Be strong and yow will be fine

[/quote
A very good write - up Ma'am. Yes, I could check it up on google and even still will, but I'd like you to throw more light on Epidural birth you mentioned. Is it synonymous with C.S?
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by AroOkigbo(m): 4:19pm On Oct 13, 2019
Onyiilugo:
Remain blessed ezigbo mmadu , Educative I am enjoying my excussive Breast feeding on my Bby girl.I am still breast-feeding her @13 months with other fooods
And oga is not complaining.
For 13 months you locked up the bresssss shocked
Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by beeijeoma: 4:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
[quote author=chayoski post=83102930][/quote]

I will do a write up on the different type of delivery methods and will include the epidural . Thanks for reading

1 Like

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by Rocktation(f): 4:24pm On Oct 13, 2019
Herroy:
Good job@OP.

It's what everyone speculates, but we don't know anyone who knows anyone that knows anyone, that has had the experience. The breast typically relaxes against the bed in this side lying position. So unless the mother has silicon round balloons for breasts, being very bubbly round and full to cover the nose of her infant is highly improbable.

I'm even more concerned with whether swallowing will be made into an awkward feat for the baby.

My guess though is that they always turn out just fine.

3 Likes

Re: Caring For Yourself And Baby As a First Time Mum by AroOkigbo(m): 4:24pm On Oct 13, 2019
[quote author=chayoski post=83102930][/quote]
No, it's got nothing to do with CS.
Epidural is an anaesthesia given at your sinal cord to ease labour pain.
My wife took it during the birth of our second child and it was cool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tsetse Fly And Genetic Cause Of Kidney Disease In Nigeria / Gastroenteritis: 11 Die In Lagos, 370 Others Being Treated / 5 Warning Signs Stress Is About To Make You Sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.