Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences (23762 Views)

Memos Of A Fashion Apprentice(fashion Designing And Tailors) / See The List This Apprentice Tailor Must Fulfil To Gain Freedom From Her Madam / Did Your Tailor Disappoint You This Christmas? Share Your Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by LeoFish92(m): 10:14am On Oct 12, 2019
So I went to this shop in my new hood to cut my hair. I had gone 5 weeks without a haircut and was already looking like a Wild animal.

Met the young barber and my intuition rang the alarm bells: he looks like an apprentice!!

I ignored the warnings and sat on the swivel chair. I desperately needed a haircut!

Afro punk, I told him, and proceeded to instruct him on how I love it. Has to be bespoke!.

He nodded in affirmation, grabbed the clipper and gave me a shocker.....

When I saw his grasp of the clipper -- feeble and weak, and his strokes, lacking finesse and the dexterity of a professional barber -- I knew I was in for trouble.

15 mins later and he had already given me a hair cut I never knew existed.

He finished and I was still looking like a Wild Animal; a domesticated wild Animal.

He looked at me and I could see guilt written all over his face. He knows.

I wasn't mad at him. Baby steps he was taking. One day, he'll become a pro.

But will I go back to his shop? Not in this life.

156 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by respect80(m): 10:17am On Oct 12, 2019
It's nearly impossible not to have been a victim of such as a guy especially at certain stage of your life except you are those who outrightly emphasize on the skills of the barber before he begins but even at that, it takes one or two icky experiences to make one cautious of such.

My experience was almost about 2 decades ago while I was in JSS 2 in a boarding school. Even though the cost of getting a haircut in the closest salon was just N50, I opted to visit a fellow boarder staying in another hostel who uses razor blade and comb to cut people's hair at the rate of N30 probably out of greed or Childishness not realizing that the so called barber was just being over rated and is only good at giving people with roundly shaped head a good looking cut.
That was how I went and sat down in his front, he did the job and gave me a mirror to confirm his work. When I looked at the mirror, I wasn't comfortable with what he did there and I told him to at least correct the curve he made in my forehead because I don't have a roundly shaped head like most of his clients. This guy kept craping the curve on my forehead until he successfully made me looked like a young tortoise.
It was after we went on break and came back to school that a friend of mine said he met the guy as an apprentice in one of the villages he visited during holidays.

I was like whattttttttt! So this guy was just using people to learn his trade in a coded way?

184 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by Swegzfreak: 10:21am On Oct 12, 2019
grin

1 Like

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by balraf(m): 10:26am On Oct 12, 2019
I don't visit a saloon if I don't know the owner, and I don't Barb when he is not there.

18 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by SchoolNaScam001: 10:26am On Oct 12, 2019
Lol. A couple of time.
Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by emeijeh(m): 10:27am On Oct 12, 2019
Lol.
I just remembered when I had to use a baseball cap for one week to school.
grin

[img]https://media1./images/47bf1eb18ce20acee451b0513fa228f3/tenor.gif[/img]

162 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:28am On Oct 12, 2019
grin
This one was not even a apprentice, himself go call himself Oga
I remember when I left my base to be with a friend in Abeokuta. I've always been a one barber guy. I don't mind going months without cutting my hair as long as my barber isn't there or I'm out of town. The best I would is just to shape the every now and then.
So 5 or 6 months into my stay in Abeokuta, I decided to have mercy on my head and get myself a cut. I didn't want to do it but I still went ahead.
I went to this salon and asked for a cut, my mind was already telling me a disasterclass was incoming, I knew it but I didn't listen.
I sat and this man started, bros... The way he take hold clipper sef I know say I don enter am, if to say I fit change head or plaster the hair wey he cut, e for better. No be even the cut be koko, con see shape. sad shocked
Even my guy wey no fancy barber, him own na to just cut wherever he see, when he see mesef he know say dem don get me. If to say na electrician even cut my hair that day, I for like am
My head con resemble wetin I no know, I was furious until the hair grew back and went for a better shape elsewhere.
I went to Lagos and went many months before I cut my hair again and I've been with the same barber ever since.
I take good care of my head really good so I've never worried about lice or whatever when I start my strike.
Including that unfortunate barber in Abeokuta, I've had just 3 barbers cut my hair in the last 4-6 years

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by LeoFish92(m): 10:28am On Oct 12, 2019
balraf:
I don't visit a saloon if I don't know the owner, and I don't Barb when he is not there.

I just moved into the neighborhood

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 12, 2019
Lol.. My barber wasn't around so i decided to give his apprentice a trial.. Long story short,after seeing myself in the mirror, i told him to just better scrape everything..had to barber skin..

52 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by okirewaju(f): 10:37am On Oct 12, 2019
I cut my son's hair myself and my first attempt was a disaster. I had to give him skin cut.

With constant practice, I'm getting better. The last one I did I even put side parting cheesy

FemaleBarberMood

149 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by LeoFish92(m): 10:47am On Oct 12, 2019
respect80:
It's really hard not to have been a victim of such as a guy especially at certain stage of your life except you are those who outrightly emphasize on the skills of the barber before he begins but even at that, it takes one or two icky experiences to make one cautious of such.

My experience was almost about 2 decades ago while I was in JSS 2 in a boarding school. Even though the cost of getting a haircut in the closest salon was just N50, I opted to visit a fellow boarder staying in another hostel who uses razor blade and comb to cut people's hair at the rate of N30 probably out of greed or Childishness not realizing that the so called barber was just being over rated and is only good at giving people with roundly shaped head a good looking cut.
That was how I went and sat down in his front, he did the job and gave me a mirror to confirm his work. When I looked at the mirror, I wasn't comfortable with what he did there and I told him to at least correct the curve he made in my forehead because I don't have a roundly shaped head like most of his clients. This guy kept craping the curve on my forehead until he successfully made me looked like a young tortoise.
It was after we went on break and came back to school that a friend of mine said he met the guy as an apprentice in one of the villages he visited during holidays.

I was like whattttttttt! So this guy was just using people learn his trade in a coded way?

Lmao

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by Mariangeles(f): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2019
Guys with receding hairline have no business with this thread grin
Even aboki can give them a haircut grin

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by respect80(m): 10:58am On Oct 12, 2019
LeoFish92:

Lmao

Honestly people are quite funny that's why you see people advertising a remedy for all illnesses and diseases.
The typical Nigerian apprentice no go tell you say him no sabi something cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by LeoFish92(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2019
respect80:

Honestly people are quite funny that's why you see people advertising a remedy for all illnesses and diseases.
The typical Nigerian apprentice no go tell you say him no sabi something cheesy

Seriously, the way this one looked at me with guilt and regret summarized it all. He knew it was a debacle.

Apprentices usually hone their skills with children. This one decided to upgrade with an adult. SMH

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by KevinDein: 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2019
Went to cut my hair but my barber wasn't around. I met the apprentice and in a bid to encourage the young man I allowed him have a go. He did a decent job on the hair but then completely messed up my beard and mustache afterwards.

Let's just say I ended up looking like Kanayo O Kanayo.

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by respect80(m): 12:37pm On Oct 12, 2019
LeoFish92:

Seriously, the way this one looked at me with guilt and regret summarized it all. He knew it was a debacle.

Apprentices usually hone their skills with children. This one decided to upgrade with an adult. SMH

Lol cheesy

It's usually very difficult to differentiate them from the shop owner. The way dem go tight face at that very moment ehn, you will think they own the shop.

26 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by midnighter(f): 1:10pm On Oct 12, 2019
Ive had an apprentice sew in my weave-on and i almost murdered everybody in the shop

13 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by sisisioge: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin

I once gave a guy a bad experience, he was my ex. Because I used to follow him to the salon and a fast learner, I figured I could cut his two layers hairstyle without hassle. After so much convincing and promises, I did it. It was a good attempt but the poor guy had to wear a face cap for the first two days. Afterwards, he allowed me cut until I got it perfect. Needless to say, he became the one chasing me to cut his hair grin grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by sisisioge: 1:18pm On Oct 12, 2019
midnighter:
Ive had an apprentice sew in my weave-on and i almost murdered everybody in the shop

If its that one, one idiate ruined my full frontal closure by tracing the hair line while cutting it. It ended up jumping up on my head each time wind blows. Of course, I never went there again!

6 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by midnighter(f): 1:26pm On Oct 12, 2019
sisisioge:
If its that one, one idiate ruined my full frontal closure by tracing the hair line while cutting it. It ended up jumping up on my head each time wind blows. Of course, I never went there again!

its so annoying when they try to give you to one newcomer who will use your head for practice... and when you complain everybody will look at you as if you're mad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by sofiscatedmoron: 1:35pm On Oct 12, 2019
grin angry
yes , he spent 7 weeks just to give me a ponk haircut ,,
i was like ,wtf!!, but he ended give me the best haircut ive ever gotten before, people were asking who have me that nice haircut

6 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by naijadrivablog: 1:35pm On Oct 12, 2019
grin

Especially if you have "okpon" (bald head).

7 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by haryomikun(m): 1:36pm On Oct 12, 2019
One time last year, I asked the apprentice to barb Afro for me and i noticed the shaping was off, making my head look like a parallelogram.

I was so annoyed i told him- practically screamed- to change it to low cut so eyes wouldn't be raised when i had a low cut hairstyle without shaping.

His boss came in and rectified the situation a bit sha. Never went back to the place

19 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by FuckThaMod: 1:36pm On Oct 12, 2019
Well, it happened to me once many years ago and i vowed never to use any other barber apart from my personal barber i met in unilag.

Okay here is the story, I'm an afro guy, you will never see me in lowcut until One Sunday when i got an interview text from a company to show up the next day. Back then i was jobless and on that Sunday my hair was looking unkempt so i decided to go put it in shape for the interview. If i had gotten that text in the morning or afternoon i would have gone to unilag which is 2 hours away from my house.. The barber sabi handle my hair no be small. But i got that text in the evening around 7pm. The few barbers i knew around my area, most times i see young boys going in their shops and so i was thinking i should try them but sadly they didn't open that day(all part of the devil's plan).
I trekked a lil further away from my area before i found a barber's shop that was open. Inside the shop was very neat, classy and very spacious. It looked international but there was one problem in my heart, the barber was an aboki. He looked clean and learned but my mind was telling me guy forget the looks and japa ooo. I no gree listen to my mind and within few seconds i was already sitting comfortably in one of the seats with their apron being tied around my neck. I spent 5 minutes explaining my style to this good looking aboki and he was like no problem oga i got you covered, we are the best.
Immediately this aboki clipper neared my hair, waaaaaaaaaa! He shaved off half of my afro at once! Come see as my eyes and my mouth opened in shock while I looked at the mirror in disbelief(shey na like this life wan treat me).... Make i no talk wetin happen after that sha.
The mumu job i didn't even get it.

53 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 12, 2019
An apprentice tried it once on me. Since then I swear never to have an apprentice come close to me with clippers.

4 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by tokrizy: 1:36pm On Oct 12, 2019
The experience wasn't funny at all. I had to put on cap for like a month nd funny enough the hair wont grow still.

I had to cut everything off to skin. Mhen me on skin wasn't that funny.

But later on I discovered I'm cute on low cut so I had to change my looks.

But mhen dat nigga gave me jet li ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA style.

My hair no still get shape till date sha.. but we still managing the shiit done. undecided

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by GREATESTPIANIST: 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2019
Me, I decided to try out a barber close by since the one that usually handles my hair is quite far from me, both the apprentice and oga Barb rubbish........ I swore never to enter that salon again...... besides , one has to be very careful and prayerful too, some barbers are wicked and fetish, they use the hairs of their customers to attack their destiny

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by thundafire: 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2019
Yes after dat I only have 3 barbers if not dem no one else let me carry dey bushy hair
Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by machosly(m): 1:38pm On Oct 12, 2019
LMAO! How dare you I know where you live oh!
Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by itoldu: 1:38pm On Oct 12, 2019
Lol! Progress takes time.

If his attitude was one of not willing to learn, I suggest you go with your final plan, otherwise you could be a stakeholder in his growth.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by yinkard4me(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2019
Few days to my marriage introduction ceremony, I had this very nice low hair cut I did just before I travelled down home from my base. Two days to the Day,I thought it would be nice if I did a lil carving and adjustments to make the hair look newer. There is this salon I used to see a lot of guys flocking around and I thought to myself, this guy must be good. On getting there, this guy's first touch on my hair removed a thick portion of my hair that I could see my skin from d mirror. I was like whatttttttt? The boy said my clipper was slippery, grin sad lol. I wanted to cry, I just told him to remove all the hair embarassed.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guys, Ever Had An Apprentice Cut Your Hair? Share Your Experiences by tillaman(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2019
grin
A barber once dozed off while barbing my hair, me I was focused on something else so i wasn’t looking at the mirror, so the time I looked into the mirror the scumbag has shifted/contoured my hair line, I had to go on low cut, l just left there very mad, I didn’t utter any word, second day I had my head warmer only for one stupid babe to take it off in class and come see as people dey laff me, I left class and I went to his shop so the fool’s excuse was his buddy gave him Tramadol 50mg he was just pleading and all!! I nor reach him shop till I comot for that land

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Creative Braided Hairstyles For Little Girls / 27 Big Braids Hairstyles To Inspire Your Next "Do" / Pictures Of Beautiful Nail Designs For Long And Short Nails

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.