Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? (19405 Views)

Corpers Forced To Cut Weeds As Punishment Before Clearance In Rivers (Photos) / Any Batch C 14 Serving Punishment For Missing Headcount! / Nysc Training Camp Punishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by bashr4: 8:49pm On Nov 07, 2010
I have come across a lot of nigerians that abandoned their NYSC especially after camp and am wondering the effects if any that could have on them or is there no punishment for doing such?
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Nobody: 12:16am On Nov 08, 2010
The only thing is that u wouldnt get ur nysc certificate unlike others that would do, if they reported at their primary assignment after 3wks orientation.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by MaiSuya(m): 12:25am On Nov 09, 2010
If one is eligible, ie below thirty (and all the other criteria), but deliberately refuses to be mobilized, it could affect his/her future job prospects. I'm aware that most employers tend to place high value on the discharge certificate.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by snowdrops(m): 4:40pm On Nov 09, 2010
moderators better remove this topic from homepage before you remind the authorities of deserters like us wink

2 Likes

Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by HamidO1(m): 4:42pm On Nov 09, 2010
Mai Suya:

If one is eligible, ie below thirty (and all the other criteria), but deliberately refuses to be mobilized, it could affect his/her future job prospects. I'm aware that most employers tend to place high value on the discharge certificate.

True talk, even those above thirty tend to lie about their age just to serve. Almost all employers ask for it this days.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by seyibrown(f): 4:51pm On Nov 09, 2010
Firing squad, perhaps! grin grin
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Harbb: 4:58pm On Nov 09, 2010
The effects of deserting NYSC may not show now, but perhaps later in life. As you move up in life, opportunities may present themselves for appointments into public or political offices. This is where certificates like NYSC certificate will count. Remember the case of Dimeji Bankole; when he was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives, someone jumped up and said he (Bankole) did not serve (NYSC), even though he studied abroad. Bankole had to produce his NYSC certificate to quench the tornado that was about consuming his political career. In essence, its better to serve than to desert it. Because the consequences of not serving far outweigh the temporary and momentary inconveniences that serving may pose.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by MUZBO(m): 4:59pm On Nov 09, 2010
Just bribe somebody n go back for ur certificate. Unfortunately true o
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by snowdrops(m): 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
Harbb:

The effects of deserting NYSC may not show now, but perhaps later in life. As you move up in life, opportunities may present themselves for appointments into public or political offices. This is where certificates like NYSC certificate will count. Remember the case of Dimeji Bankole; when he was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives, someone jumped up and said he (Bankole) did not serve (NYSC), even though he studied abroad. Bankole had to produce his NYSC certificate to quench the tornado that was about consuming his political career. In essence, its better to serve than to desert it. Because the consequences of not serving far outweigh the temporary and momentary inconveniences that serving may pose.
MUZBO:

Just bribe somebody n go back for your certificate. Unfortunately true o
[size=15pt]Perhaps thats what bankole did[/size]
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by kokoye(m): 5:17pm On Nov 09, 2010
In case the certificate gets missing, can one go back any branch of the secretariat to pick up another copy?
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Exponental(m): 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2010
If a PRISONER can be acting as a SENATOR, guy think!
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Environer: 5:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
snowdrops:

[size=15pt]Perhaps thats what bankole did[/size]

No doubt about that. Nigeria is the land of bribery. Otherwise you are expected to present your NYSC certificate when you make the application in the first place; not as an after-thought that allows time to bribe those responsible.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 09, 2010
Poster
I dont think those people abandoned their service.what matters most is your weekly assessment which you can always liase with one or two officials and your assessment from where you are serving which you can still work things out with them.Corpers that served in local government councils,ministies,schools and some other exceptional places usually have more free time than those posted to where they woul have to work like workaholic .
The whole thing is for you to get your discharge certificate at the end of the service year .Either you fulfill the objectivity of the service doesnt matter as such .however just in case kasala burst during your weekly CD and you are found wanting,o boy you just have to make up for the number of months you missed !
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by maclatunji: 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2010
@topic, the punishment would be that you have to repeat it for another year with another 3 weeks in camp. Most people just try to bribe their way after camp while some of us just stuck with it and thankfully came out in one piece.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by COOLDK(m): 5:59pm On Nov 09, 2010
To all
Perhap, "to serve Nigeria is all by sense." See my location, NYSC is jst an unforbidden task now in 9ja that u may carry out in a forbidden way; jst make 75% CDS register either real or otherwise and settle ur PPA, then i bet u are good to go!
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by comechop(m): 6:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
scrap the program!
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 09, 2010
maclatunji:

@topic, the punishment would be that you have to repeat it for another year with another 3 weeks in camp. Most people just try to bribe their way after camp while some of us just stuck with it and thankfully came out in one piece.
Only if you are selfish with your allowee !
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by oseiwe(m): 7:21pm On Nov 09, 2010
Arrangements do take care of it. Na just to get awareness.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by revomind(m): 8:37pm On Nov 09, 2010
what about people that intend to join the military after school through direct/short service? Are they exempt? I know that ex-boys (nig. Military school grads) are exempt sha. Someone pls.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
Nigeria system is all about money
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by kelvin(m): 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2010
what about people that intend to join the military after school through direct/short service? Are they exempt? I know that ex-boys (nig. Military school grads) are exempt sha. Someone pls.

That's probably because the joining the military is a service to the country.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by adanny01(m): 10:37pm On Nov 09, 2010
In case the certificate gets missing, can one go back any branch of the secretariat to pick up another copy?

No certificate is replaceable even waec or neco. You may get a testimonial or some other document that will help you proof but not another certificate.

Back to the main question, if you desert NYSC, it is as good as you never served. You will be remobilised and reposted when you resurface but no punishement of another kind. A photo copy of your old posting letter will help when you resurface.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by rafmike(m): 10:44pm On Nov 09, 2010
Why would i desert NYSC
haven't u heard dat NYSC allowance has been increased?
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by adanny01(m): 10:51pm On Nov 09, 2010

When you graduate you must serve if you are below 30yrs. You get exemption only if you are 30 before your graduation date or a serving military personnel which means you are already serving the country. If you dont serve, that certificate will not get you anything in Nigeria even to the military.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by axeman85(m): 11:03pm On Nov 09, 2010
Its compulsory for foreign trained graduates. i for example wanted to use the foreign trained stuff to dodge the NYSC but even tho i am qualified for jobs it has reduced my chances of gettin a job in 9ja as have been made to understand i have to gt it. so abandoning my search for jobs now to pursue the NYSC in the coming batch in february. obviously wouldnt be doing the whle 1yr. as cant survive on the allowance.

my friend deserted NYSC and said he was sick came to spend 3weeks with me in january 09 in lagos from zamfara or so. he was refused his certificate becos he missed head count and it took him months after to get his certificate after begging and pleading with greasing a few palms.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by samkal(m): 12:58am On Nov 10, 2010
true yean

1 Like

Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by oseiwe(m): 7:02am On Nov 10, 2010
raf_mike:

haven't u heard dat NYSC allowance has been increased?
na you increase am? My acct alert no reflect am. Dis gist don dey b4 i even start sef.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by tunyus(m): 7:31am On Nov 10, 2010
snowdrops:

moderators better remove this topic from homepage before you remind the authorities of deserters like us wink
am in supprt of of this,pls moderator remove it pass.because am also in the show and never regret doing such, because nigeria is not worth serving,even if are were to serve,i will do that with WISDOM and SMARTNESS
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by revomind(m): 8:49am On Nov 10, 2010
kelvin:

That's probably because the joining the military is a service to the country.

adanny01:

When you graduate you must serve if you are below 30yrs. You get exemption only if you are 30 before your graduation date or a serving military personnel which means you are already serving the country. If you dont serve, that certificate will not get you anything in Nigeria even to the military.

Okay guys. thanks for the info.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by md4real(m): 8:54am On Nov 10, 2010
No job and political implication expecially if you going into politics
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Remii(m): 10:40am On Nov 10, 2010
md4real:

No job and political implication expecially if you going into politics

May be I did not read your posting correctly. If you do not serve, you may only work in your own private company. NYSC cert is a requirement, since companies are obliged to abide by the country policies. Politically too, you could be disqualified, go and ask Bankole why he has to publicly display the camp pictures as evidence that he did his NYSC.
Re: Is There A Punishment For Deserting NYSC? by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 10, 2010
It will only affect you if you intend to take up a job with the civil service or go into politics

otherwise,its bunkum!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Now That NYSC Is A Done Deal, What Next? (how To Prosper After NYSC) / Date Of Birth Issue When Registering For NYSC / 2016 Batch A Stream 2 PCM's: As We Await Our CUL This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.