Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? (1684 Views)

Digital Skill Is No Longer The Way Forward / Learning This SKILL Is Better Than Having A DEGREE / Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Harkyn92(m): 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
Pls advise me.
We all know that IT has taken over but my laptop is wasting and im still broke, Pls which IT skill can I Iearn that is not that time consuming. Trust me im not dull, just want to have a proper idea.
Any idea will be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by OjoMadiba: 8:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
Machine learning, it’s time consuming, lol, make ur choice
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by General0847: 8:26pm On Oct 13, 2019
Learn programming (Python or Ruby for a start), master Linux and the use of the command line. Solid foundation there.
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Harkyn92(m): 8:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
General0847:
Learn programming (Python or Ruby for a start), master Linux and the use of the command line. Solid foundation there.
Is it possible to combine this with my teaching job as that's the source of little income that I use to sustain myself.
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Harkyn92(m): 8:32pm On Oct 13, 2019
OjoMadiba:
Machine learning, it’s time consuming, lol, make ur choice
Like how many hours in a day sir? And it's good to also note that i also teach somewhere sir
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by General0847: 8:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
Harkyn92:

Is it possible to combine this with my teaching job as that's the source of little income that I use to sustain myself.
Yes it's possible. If you can dedicate at least 3 hours daily to learning you're good. Get good tutorials and ebooks on Linux, Command line. For programming i would suggest python as it is quite easy to learn and understand.
I can suggest a few books for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Harkyn92(m): 9:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
General0847:

Yes it's possible. If you can dedicate at least 3 hours daily to learning you're good. Get good tutorials and ebooks on Linux, Command line. For programming i would suggest python as it is quite easy to learn and understand.
I can suggest a few books for you.
I will so much appreciate sir. pls drop your contact and lets me chat you up.
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by General0847: 9:32pm On Oct 13, 2019
Harkyn92:

I will so much appreciate sir. pls drop your contact and lets me chat you up.
08129550432 WhatsApp.
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by CharlesJok3r: 12:53am On Oct 14, 2019
1. Web development / Programming
2. Graphics Design
3. Video Editing
4. 3D Animation
5. SEO

2 Likes

Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Harkyn92(m): 5:25am On Oct 14, 2019
CharlesJok3r:
1. Web development / Programming 2. Graphics Design 3. Video Editing 4. 3D Animation 5. SEO
What's the requirement sir?
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by bytementor: 10:10am On Oct 14, 2019
Software development
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Olalekank(m): 10:23am On Oct 14, 2019
@op

You can start with web development

1. Go on YouTube and type
"Introduction to web development"
Watch a few videos to get an intro on what to do to get started

2. Visit W3Schools.com and go through some of their tutorials on HTML and CSS

3. Google mini projects you can work on with HTML and CSS

4. Learn responsive web design, with Flexbox and/or grid

5. Repeat step 3

6. Learn JavaScript and make sure to understand it's intricacies. Build some projects with it and make sure to understand the DOM

7. Pick any framework. I recommend React and learn

8. Work on react projects

9. Apply to jobs

10. Get a job and leave your teaching job if you so will

All of the above steps seem easy, but to be honest, they are not
Make sure to code everyday and try to understand what you are doing
Make sure to use stackoverflow when searching for answers
Timebox yourself for these steps above.
Ideally, with 25 hours a week for the next 3 months, you should be good

25 hours: {3 hours per day from Monday to Friday, 5 hours during weekends}

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Knox123(m): 3:56pm On Oct 14, 2019
CharlesJok3r:
1. Web development / Programming
2. Graphics Design
3. Video Editing
4. 3D Animation
5. SEO

Nice one... especially 1 2 3...
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2019
Olalekank:
@op

You can start with web development

1. Go on YouTube and type
"Introduction to web development"
Watch a few videos to get an intro on what to do to get started

2. Visit W3Schools.com and go through some of their tutorials on HTML and CSS

3. Google mini projects you can work on with HTML and CSS

4. Learn responsive web design, with Flexbox and/or grid

5. Repeat step 3

6. Learn JavaScript and make sure to understand it's intricacies. Build some projects with it and make sure to understand the DOM

7. Pick any framework. I recommend React and learn

8. Work on react projects

9. Apply to jobs

10. Get a job and leave your teaching job if you so will

All of the above steps seem easy, but to be honest, they are not
Make sure to code everyday and try to understand what you are doing
Make sure to use stackoverflow when searching for answers
Timebox yourself for these steps above.
Ideally, with 25 hours a week for the next 3 months, you should be good

25 hours: {3 hours per day from Monday to Friday, 5 hours during weekends}

Two questions
1) Putting in about 4 hours a day on CSS, how long do you reckon it should take an intelligent guy to grasp and move to JavaScript
2) For days when there isn't power, is it also productive to read CSS/JavaScript without actively inputting in a code editor? Thanks..
Oh and 3) What in your experience/opinion are the chances of getting a job in Nigeria with no tertiary certificate or official web design/programming certification, just self teaching a practice?
Thanks
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Olalekank(m): 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2019
crownedrookie:

Two questions
1) Putting in about 4 hours a day on CSS, how long do you reckon it should take an intelligent guy to grasp and move to JavaScript
2) For days when there isn't power, is it also productive to read CSS/JavaScript without actively inputting in a code editor? Thanks..
Oh and 3) What in your experience/opinion are the chances of getting a job in Nigeria with no tertiary certificate or official web design/programming certification, just self teaching a practice?
Thanks
You never stop learning! To learn CSS enough before you are able to transition to JavaScript, then I recommend you spend at least one month working on front end projects and making sure you solidify your CSS skills - up to the point where you can comfortably convert designs (mockups) to webpages.

Although you can read pdfs, it is highly unproductive. You need to actually write codes and see what you are doing to be able to move forward.

Companies these days do not care about your certificate. I know young guys without a BSC making money from this development thing

3 Likes

Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 16, 2019
Olalekank:

You never stop learning! To learn CSS enough before you are able to transition to JavaScript, then I recommend you spend at least one month working on front end projects and making sure you solidify your CSS skills - up to the point where you can comfortably convert designs (mockups) to webpages.

Although you can read pdfs, it is highly unproductive. You need to actually write codes and see what you are doing to be able to move forward.

Companies these days do not care about your certificate. I know young guys without a BSC making money from this development thing
Thanks.. So your take on reading PDF is better not to and work live with my video tutorials when there is power?
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Olalekank(m): 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2019
crownedrookie:

Thanks.. So your take on reading PDF is better not to and work live with my video tutorials when there is power?
Exactly, but most importantly work on projects that you can proudly showcase after watching the videos.

Note: your own personal projects and not tutorial projects
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by palchris12: 6:23pm On Oct 16, 2019
The service quality is top-notch and services are cost-effective that it was a perfect fit to my budget. I can see the hard work that the expert has put in to compose my assignment solution. I recommend them for all who want quality solution at shoestring budget.
https://allassignmentexperts.com/

#assignmenthelp #homeworkhelp
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 17, 2019
Olalekank:

Exactly, but most importantly work on projects that you can proudly showcase after watching the videos.

Note: your own personal projects and not tutorial projects
And how can I get projects to work on? Do I have to pull out website designs from imagination?
Re: Which IT Skill Is Advisable To Learn? by Olalekank(m): 11:37am On Oct 17, 2019
crownedrookie:

And how can I get projects to work on? Do I have to pull out website designs from imagination?
dribbble.com

Make a simple search for "web layouts"
There are more than enough

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Unlimited Hosting With Josidel Hosting. / Basic Understanding Of Scanner, Semantic In Compiler Construction /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.