Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,505 members, 7,854,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:44 AM

Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? (1168 Views)

Does Female Children Takes Care Of Parents Than Male Chidren? / 5 Generations Photo Of Nigerian Women / 5 Generations Of Beautiful Nigerian Women (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 8:57am On Oct 14, 2019
Jo Eberhardt,

Certainly, I think Millennial parents are different to parents of past generations. Hell, I’m technically Gen X (missed out on being a Millennial by a few years) and I parent my 10 and 6 year old sons completely differently to the way my parents interacted with me. (For one thing, I use the word “parent” as a verb.)

I’m hands-on. I explain things to my children. We have two-way conversations, and I encourage them to share their opinions — while we all still understand that I’m the adult and have the final say over important decisions. I don’t believe in being my children’s friend, but I do believe in treating them with respect and kindness. Modelling the behavior I’d like to see and all that.

My parents, on the other hand, definitely raised my siblings and I with the “children should be seen and not heard” mentality combined with the “because I’m your parent and I say so” back-up plan. I spent most of my childhood scared of my father, and distrustful of my mother. I certainly never shared my opinion, my hopes, my fears, or anything personal with them.

When I talk to my mum now (we’ve grown closer over the years), she often says that she wishes she’d been able to parent more like I do. To which I reply: I have no idea how you managed to raise children at all without having all the parenting wisdom of the ages at the press of a button on your phone!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Chainsmokers: 8:58am On Oct 14, 2019
Actually i wasn't able to share my secret life with my parent when i was a teen cause my dad has this judging mentality, in which what Ever you tell him he will use it against you so as my mum but hers was better cause she knows whenever she crossed the line. undecided
I have already said it that my kids won't be treated the way i was treated undecided

3 Likes

Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 9:00am On Oct 14, 2019
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Chainsmokers: 9:07am On Oct 14, 2019
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 9:17am On Oct 14, 2019
Honestly, it's the fact that they taught us that as we worked hard things would come our way. That is almost impossible. Most of the times rejection happens because of reasons out of our own control, and things happen or the time wasn't right.

We just weren't prepared for the fact that real life was going to full of failures and we weren't exactly equipped to handle them. Or to adjust to the fact that the market had widely changed from what we were taught. It wasn't the fault of our parents as no one could anticipate it.

Or rather none of them had the self confidence and willingness to keep on coming back after rejection or pushing through. Or be willing to get back up and continue on the path.

It might be a fact that we always expected our lives to be smooth sailing, rather than a messy road. It's the values we weren't taught that is the problem and that expectations may never match up to reality. And we were given help in every sense of the word to achieve our dreams. Or that we can reach the sky as long as we wanted it and worked hard for it.

For most it isn't the fault of our parents either, as they honestly just wanted the best for us and having lofty ambitions was a good way to encourage and motivate us to study and work.

Thus the only thing that they got wrong was not instilling in the sense of reality and knowing how to judge whether a goal was just incredibly difficult to achieve or could be achieved. Or how to plan out the steps and realize when it might just go terribly wrong.
Chainsmokers:
Actually i wasn't able to share my secret life with my parent when i was a teen cause my dad has this judging mentality, in which what Ever you tell him he will use it against you so as my mum but hers was better cause she knows whenever she crossed the line. undecided
I have already said it that my kids won't be treated the way i was treated undecided

3 Likes

Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 8:30pm On May 31, 2022
lipsrsealed
Chainsmokers:
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 4:28pm On Jun 09, 2022
Chainsmokers:
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by BItt: 4:52pm On Jun 09, 2022
well the truth to your question is right there infront of you staring at you

2 Likes

Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 11:36pm On Jun 13, 2022
cool
BItt:
well the truth to your question is right there infront of you staring at you
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by lavylilly: 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2022
They are worse
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Magnoliaa(f): 12:48am On Jun 27, 2022
I'm curious: given all you've said about how you interact with the kids, why do you not believe in being their friends? Lol. What's remaining again that that line cannot be crossed?

Is this a copied post, by the way?

2 Likes

Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 6:40am On Jul 18, 2022
Magnoliaa:
I'm curious: given all you've said about how you interact with the kids, why do you not believe in being their friends? Lol. What's remaining again that that line cannot be crossed?

Is this a copied post, by the way?
What's wrong being their friend?
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Magnoliaa(f): 7:43pm On Jul 19, 2022
Hamachi:
What's wrong being their friend?

This below is from your post:
I don’t believe in being my children’s friend, but I do believe in treating them with respect and kindness.
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 4:14am On Jul 21, 2022
undecided
Magnoliaa:

This below is from your post:
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 5:15am On Feb 24, 2023
smiley
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by IyaTola: 6:15pm On Mar 03, 2023
Hmmm..
Re: Are Millennial Parents Better Parents Than Past Generations? by Hamachi(f): 8:37am On Mar 18, 2023
wink

(1) (Reply)

A Pregnant Lady Seen Slapping And Beating Her Boyfriend With Belt For Cheating / Older Nigerian Mothers On What They Would Do Differently As New Mothers / Hustle Pays: My Personal Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.