Stats: 3,162,962 members, 7,852,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:36 PM

Are You A Bully? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You A Bully? (871 Views)

How To Bully-proof Your Child / How Can I Handle A Mature Male Bully / SAD! 10 Year Old Hangs Herself After Fight With Bully Was Posted Online (2) (3) (4)

Are You A Bully? by Aksah12: 2:32am On Oct 18, 2019
ARE YOU A BULLY?
Bullying is an ongoing and deliberate misuse of power in relationships through repeated verbal, physical and/or social behaviour that intends to cause physical, social and/or psychological harm. It can involve an individual or a group misusing their power, or perceived power, over one or more persons who feel unable to stop it from happening.
Behaviours that do not constitute bullying include:
mutual arguments and disagreements (where there is no power imbalance)
not liking someone or a single act of social rejection
one-off acts of meanness or spite
isolated incidents of aggression, intimidation or violence.
Bullying includes the following Key Elements:
1) Intentional
2) Repeated
3) Power imbalance. (constituted or perceived).
TYPES OF BULLYING
Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things. Verbal bullying includes: teasing, name-calling, inappropriate sexual comments, taunting, threatening to cause harm
Social bullying, sometimes referred to as relational bullying, involves hurting someone’s reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes: leaving someone out on purpose, telling others not to be friends with someone, spreading rumors about someone, embarrassing someone in public.
Physical bullying involves hurting a person’s body or possessions. It includes: hitting, kicking, pinching, pushing, taking or breaking someone’s things, making mean or rude hand gestures
Cyber bullying is the use of technology to harass, threaten, embarrass, or target another person. Those involved in this may have one on one interaction with each other but prefer to bully each other through social media, as that way their actions can be viewed by more and they feel a false sense of fame.
From the onset, it has been thought that there is only one type of bully - a highly aggressive kid that lacked self esteem, who may come from a violent or neglectful home, predicting the fact that they lack social and problem solving skills. Apart from this blunt and open oppressor, another more michiavellian kind of bully has been recognized. This group tends to have better social skills are often charismatic and loved by others (that includes their superiors), and are far from the uncultured stereotype bullies. These people can turn on or off their bullying to suit their needs. They want to be the leader of the crowd and they achieve this by pushing others down the hierarchy. ( That "Queen Bee", story for another day).
People are often victimized by bullies for various reasons which has nothing to do with them in particular most times . I'm saying it is not your fault that you are being bullied. The problem is the bully himself/ herself. Bullying is more about the bully than the victim.
Risk factors for becoming a bully:
They have been previously victimized or bullied.
Raised in a broken home.
Parenting Style: Research has shown that children whose parents are overly demanding or permissive may be at risk for bullying. The theory is that if authoritarian parents are too strict, the child feels inferior at home. This can prompt them to desire power at school. They choose to bully other children in order to create a false sense of self-esteem. Likewise, if permissive parents disregard structure in their household, children develop a disregard for rules. They have not been punished and develop a lack of empathy when hurting others. This can prompt them to bully.
Low tolerance for frustration and aggression.

Some kids grow out of bullying, others find a different outlet for their aggression. They choose to go into progressions in which bullying works for them. For example, the police force, professor at the University (those sex for marks lecturers), lawyers to mention a few.
Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 18, 2019
This is really a great write-up!!
Bullying is nw something common within our society!!
Bulluying is one of the reason people get depressed
Bullying in school has made many people a drop out since they can't cope,its a very common situation in western countries including America,people get bullied for the color of their skin which as made some students prefer home schooling!! I'm lucky while growing up i have never gotten bullied
Bt i have experienced online bullying including on nairaland!!! Online bullying has made many young girls commit suicide because they can't take backlash from people online!!
A Korean singer posted a revealing photo on her social page nd people started coming for her,insulting threatening her when she couldn't take it no more she ended her life!!! Many similar situations that have heard of!!!
That's why i dnt insult someone i dnt know online because i dnt know what they facing in reality,if I wasn't strong enough with all the insult nd curses i received here because i asked for an advice i might have deactivated my account bt las las it doesn't worth stressing myself for!!!

Re: Are You A Bully? by MrNipplesLover(m): 7:31am On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess:
This is really a great write-up!!
Bullying is nw something common within our society!!
Bulluying is one of the reason people get depressed
Bullying in school has made many people a drop out since they can't cope,its a very common situation in western countries including America,people get bullied for the color of their skin which as made some students prefer home schooling!! I'm lucky while growing up i have never gotten bullied
Bt i have experienced online bullying including on nairaland!!! Online bullying has made many young girls commit suicide because they can't take backlash from people online!!
A Korean singer posted a revealing photo on her social page nd people started coming for her,insulting threatening her when she couldn't take it no more she ended her life!!! Many similar situations that have heard of!!!
That's why i dnt insult someone i dnt know online because i dnt know what they facing in reality,if I wasn't strong enough with all the insult nd curses i received here because i asked for an advice i might have deactivated my account bt las las it doesn't worth stressing myself for!!!

Re: Are You A Bully? by midnighter(f): 7:48am On Oct 18, 2019
Front page material

OP Please can you try and space this into paragraphs? Otherwise people wont be bothered to read it and the information you're giving is important
Re: Are You A Bully? by Newguyhere: 9:09am On Oct 18, 2019
Bullying is bad. I hate those that engage in it undecided
Re: Are You A Bully? by Amanee(f): 9:24am On Oct 18, 2019
Bullying is becoming a normal thing especially with the advent of the internet. People don't need to antagonize people physically when you can do it over the internet. In the case of nairaland;

-you call members of other tribes derogatory names, you are a bully! angry

-you are a member of NCAN (Name Checkers Association of Nigeria), you are a bully! angry

-you post unsavory pictures of females especially and call them prostitutes from thread to thread, you are a bully! angry

You can add yours

Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 18, 2019
MrNipplesLover:

Lol mrnippleslover grin cheesy
This one that you quoting me up nd down hope I'm safe? grin

Re: Are You A Bully? by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:44am On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess:

Lol mrnippleslover grin cheesy
This one that you quoting me up nd down hope I'm safe? grin

u have nothing to be scared of, my dear.

I started following u when I saw your first picture on your profile, I was like grin

if u know who I am for real, u will be shocked, or lemme say surprised.

it was funny seeing u on nairaland.

nice DP.

how's ur big Sis?
Re: Are You A Bully? by Vyolet(f): 11:50am On Oct 18, 2019
I wrote something about cyberbullying sometime before the Nairaland Tsunami.
Some years later, I came to realise if you can't stand cyberbullying, you have no business being on the internet.
There is nothing that can be done, you either stand for yourself by treating them the way they treat you or you coil back to your shell and let depression set into you.
Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 18, 2019
MrNipplesLover:

u have nothing to be scared of, my dear.

I started following u when I saw your first picture on your profile, I was like grin

if u know who I am for real, u will be shocked, or lemme say surprised.

it was funny seeing u on nairaland.

nice DP.

how's ur big Sis?
Sorry who are you?
Can you pm me so we can talk privately?

Re: Are You A Bully? by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess:

Sorry who are you?
Can you pm me so we can talk privately?

with this my handle cheesy I want to remain anonymous to everybody here, including my real friends that I know are here.

besides, have been unable to access my mail/pms.

maybe when next I visit Chairman Owo-Ade grin I would branch to say HI.

but for now, make we dey enjoy our NL moments.
Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 18, 2019
MrNipplesLover:

with this my handle cheesy I want to remain anonymous to everybody here, including my real friends that I know are here.

besides, have been unable to access my mail/pms.

maybe when next I visit Chairman Owo-Ade grin I would branch to say HI.

but for now, make we dey enjoy our NL moments.
Okay no problem
I will love to know you though
Bt in case you don't know i have relocated from that area
All the same nice meeting you though
Never knew i will see someone i know on this forum grin
Humans are water indeed!!!

Re: Are You A Bully? by Newguyhere: 12:54pm On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess:

Okay no problem

Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 18, 2019
Newguyhere:

You just finding every means to get my attention by insulting me even with your other alternate accounts
But i dnt do kids,i only chat with mature peeps
First learn manners nd comeback to get my attention!!

Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 18, 2019
People bully thinking they are catching fun but they don't know the damage they are doing to others.

Re: Are You A Bully? by MrNipplesLover(m): 2:20pm On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess:

Okay no problem

really?

thought u were still there, cos of the pix on ur DP.

No P. might fix a meet up with u soon.

take care.
Re: Are You A Bully? by Newguyhere: 4:11pm On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess2:

You just finding every means to get my attention by insulting me even with your other alternate accounts
But i dnt do kids,i only chat with mature peeps
First learn manners nd comeback to get my attention!!

I don't really find you desirable cry
You too dry abeg.. Any man that wants to bleep you sef go try.
No yansh, tennis sized boobs etc cry
I feel sorry for you. cry you are just like a little sister to me and I feel nature no just try in your case at all

Re: Are You A Bully? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2019
MrNipplesLover:

really?

thought u were still there, cos of the pix on ur DP.

No P. might fix a meet up with u soon.

take care.

That's an old picture
I don't upload my new picture on public forum
Okay take care the mystery guy grin grin

Re: Are You A Bully? by purples25(f): 6:28pm On Oct 18, 2019
I love this thread, it is good to discuss and try to curb a bad thing..... and i hate bullying. I even spent some parts of the day indirectly trying to convince forec and newguyhere not to bully.

i have endured social bullying and verbal (not talking about my lil incident yesterday, thats settled). The op has adressed everything

Re: Are You A Bully? by MrNipplesLover(m): 9:49pm On Oct 18, 2019
Pettyprincess:
That's an old picture I don't upload my new picture on public forum Okay take care the mystery guy grin grin

wink

Re: Are You A Bully? by UnknownQueen(f): 9:19am On Oct 21, 2019
Nobody dares bully me, like someone said, stand up for yourself whenever anyone tries to bully you, after all its only the fittest who survives in this shithole...

Is Deliberately Trying To Catch Someone In The Wrong Good / 5 Lessons From The Movie A Violent Separation / How Long Did It Take You To Get Back Out There After Marriage Breakup?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85