Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,099 members, 7,825,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

If Married In Nigeria, Does The Divorce Also Have To Take Place In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If Married In Nigeria, Does The Divorce Also Have To Take Place In Nigeria? (4842 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / This Little Girl Got Married In Northern Nigeria (Unconfirmed) / Ex Husband Got The Divorce Letter And He Suddenly Wants Reconciliation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Married In Nigeria, Does The Divorce Also Have To Take Place In Nigeria? by Louisejane: 3:24pm On Nov 09, 2010
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I'm trying to help a friend out with regards to his marriage in Nigeria.

He was married to a Nigerian lady about 5 years ago but things didn't work out. He moved back to the UK and she remarried in Nigeria.

The problem is, my friend has been told by a Nigerian lawyer that he must return to Nigeria to get a divorce in the courts. Alternatively, the lady he married can do this but he cannot track her down. Is it not possible after 4 years to divorce without him having to travel there?

Many thanks
Re: If Married In Nigeria, Does The Divorce Also Have To Take Place In Nigeria? by mutter(f): 3:51pm On Nov 09, 2010
The divorce can take place in the UK. The court in the UK will apply the Nigerian law. It is as simple as that. The documents will be served the woman through the UK Embassy in Nigeria. If her whereabouts are unknown they will be placed at her last known address.
The issue however is that if he wants to marry a Nigerian again, he has to get the divorce from the UK endorsed in a Nigerian court.
Re: If Married In Nigeria, Does The Divorce Also Have To Take Place In Nigeria? by aybaba1: 12:30pm On Nov 11, 2010
i had a traditional marraige in nigeria and after 6 years my wife divorced me in nigeria,the divorce is effective 1st Oct, 2010. can i re marry in the UK ?somebody told me that the legal requirement in the UK is that i have to wait for atleast 3 month before i can re marry after the divorce, i know there are a lot of intelligent ppl on nairaland with wide range of knowledge kindly reply my enquiry.
Re: If Married In Nigeria, Does The Divorce Also Have To Take Place In Nigeria? by mutter(f): 10:01pm On Nov 11, 2010
In some counties you have an option of a fine to pay. This amount is rather insignificant. Try finding out .

(1) (Reply)

Sister In Law / Pros And Cons Of Getting Married To Your Agemate / ..........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.