Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning (1664 Views)

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? / Programming Learning Challenge June. / Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by OGeeKush(m): 11:26am On Oct 21, 2019
So, after extensive research on the internet, i discovered that Python and Ruby are the easiest programming language to learn as a first timer. Please i need suggestions as to which really make sense. I want to learn programming solely for Software development and design. Thank you
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by onlineit: 11:36am On Oct 21, 2019
Ruby Vs Python :

Major Applications

Python

Bit Torrent, Reddit, Spotify, Instagram, Youtube.

Ruby

Airbnb, Github, Twitter, Hulu, Basecamp.

Tendency of Developers

Python

Fewer Updates, Conservative Code, Stability Over change.

Ruby

Readable code.

Creative Coding.

Frequent Updates, Flexibility and Freedom.

Main Properties
Python

Simple to Learn, Code Readability, Speedy and Efficient.

Ruby

Expressive, powerful and elegant.

Use cases

Python

Servers and Data Heavy Sites, with High traffic Volume. Fast Operating System, with Big Data and Math, more Scientific Calculations. At the same time, Python Preferred by Data Scientists for, Prototyping and More Data Analysis.

Ruby

Implementing Critical, and High Traffic websites, and Applications in a Faster Way.

Main Areas

Python

Scientific and Academic Programming. On the other hand, It has many Libraries for Data Science.

Ruby

Functional Programming and Web Development.

Main Differences

Python is made of Rich Built-in Data types, like list, tuple, set and Dictionary. Where Ruby has an array and hash Equivalents.

Python Avoid Namespace collision and Ruby is Collision prone.

We have Unicode Strings in Python, but ruby treats Every String as Byte String, with Semi-hidden Flag.

With Python nested function, we can define Functions, in Ruby we can create new Function, on a class of Object enclosing Function.

Ruby has Three Classes for Date, namely time and class. Where ‘naïve’ vs ‘aware’ time objects in Python.

Blocks of Ruby are Simple, python uses First-class functions, classes, decorators.

Comprehensions are Readable in [url]Python vs Ruby[https://onlineitguru.com/blog/ruby-vs-python/url]

Which one is better in Ruby or Python?
Generally, it depends on the things that, you are trying to get. Most of the time we will spend, which one is better, either Ruby or either Python. The two languages show the difference between Philosophies.

Ruby constantly focuses on offering programmers, the Freedom to get whatever, they want. On the other side, We have Python with new features. Ruby followers will go for freedom and change.

1 Like

Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 21, 2019
onlineit:
Ruby Vs Python :

Major Applications

Python

Bit Torrent, Reddit, Spotify, Instagram, Youtube.

Ruby

Airbnb, Github, Twitter, Hulu, Basecamp.

Tendency of Developers

Python

Fewer Updates, Conservative Code, Stability Over change.

Ruby

Readable code.

Creative Coding.

Frequent Updates, Flexibility and Freedom.

Main Properties
Python

Simple to Learn, Code Readability, Speedy and Efficient.

Ruby

Expressive, powerful and elegant.

Use cases

Python

Servers and Data Heavy Sites, with High traffic Volume. Fast Operating System, with Big Data and Math, more Scientific Calculations. At the same time, Python Preferred by Data Scientists for, Prototyping and More Data Analysis.

Ruby

Implementing Critical, and High Traffic websites, and Applications in a Faster Way.

Main Areas

Python

Scientific and Academic Programming. On the other hand, It has many Libraries for Data Science.

Ruby

Functional Programming and Web Development.

Main Differences

Python is made of Rich Built-in Data types, like list, tuple, set and Dictionary. Where Ruby has an array and hash Equivalents.

Python Avoid Namespace collision and Ruby is Collision prone.

We have Unicode Strings in Python, but ruby treats Every String as Byte String, with Semi-hidden Flag.

With Python nested function, we can define Functions, in Ruby we can create new Function, on a class of Object enclosing Function.

Ruby has Three Classes for Date, namely time and class. Where ‘naïve’ vs ‘aware’ time objects in Python.

Blocks of Ruby are Simple, python uses First-class functions, classes, decorators.

Comprehensions are Readable in [url]Python vs Ruby[https://onlineitguru.com/blog/ruby-vs-python/url]

Which one is better in Ruby or Python?
Generally, it depends on the things that, you are trying to get. Most of the time we will spend, which one is better, either Ruby or either Python. The two languages show the difference between Philosophies.

Ruby constantly focuses on offering programmers, the Freedom to get whatever, they want. On the other side, We have Python with new features. Ruby followers will go for freedom and change.
Python is slow it can't be used for operating systems even c# will produce a faster operating system c is used for OS because it is a mid level language but advice to OP go learn python but just don't get frustrated because python is frustrating download visual studio or any available ide for python to prevent frustration

1 Like

Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by OGeeKush(m): 11:51am On Oct 21, 2019
Ausrichie:

Python is slow it can't be used for operating systems even c# will produce a faster operating system c is used for OS because it is a mid level language but advice to OP go learn python but just don't get frustrated because python is frustrating download visual studio or any available ide for python to prevent frustration

Thanks! So how do i get started please
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 21, 2019
OGeeKush:

Thanks! So how do i get started please
1)Just take a free course on edx. I recommend edx strongly because most of the lecturers are actually from Harvard, MIT( Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Like a polytechnic but is better than a lot of universities), Microsoft and other organizations so go there friend. But you have to finish the course before it expires or you must buy it (it's not even expensive), choose wisely.
2)Get a For Dummies book. Just search Python for dummies in your search engine for dummies make the best books for beginners but if you search well in your search engine(or just go to www.pdfdrive.com) you will find it for free.
3)Download Visual Studio or a python ide. If you want to download visual studio set aside like 1gb that is if you only need the python add on if you want to add another language especially c++,c# and ASP.Net libraries set aside 3gb

1 Like

Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by OGeeKush(m): 2:43pm On Oct 21, 2019
Ausrichie:

1)Just take a free course on edx. I recommend edx strongly because most of the lecturers are actually from Harvard, MIT( Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Like a polytechnic but is better than a lot of universities), Microsoft and other organizations so go there friend. But you have to finish the course before it expires or you must buy it (it's not even expensive), choose wisely.
2)Get a For Dummies book. Just search Python for dummies in your search engine for dummies make the best books for beginners but if you search well in your search engine(or just go to www.pdfdrive.com) you will find it for free.
3)Download Visual Studio or a python ide. If you want to download visual studio set aside like 1gb that is if you only need the python add on if you want to add another language especially c++,c# and ASP.Net libraries set aside 3gb

Thank you so much
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by nappy760(m): 9:26pm On Oct 21, 2019
Ausrichie:

I am sure you mean visual studio code and not visual studio grin....
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 22, 2019
nappy760:

I am sure you mean visual studio code and not visual studio grin....
Hian visual studio code is just the editor only and that won't help if you think I am lying google it
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by nappy760(m): 3:27pm On Oct 22, 2019
Ausrichie:

Hian visual studio code is just the editor only and that won't help if you think I am lying google it

Visual studio is over 20GB to download that is why I am wondering when you said 1GB grin
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by nappy760(m): 3:35pm On Oct 22, 2019
Go to the official python site and download python (IDLE) and install. You can then install visual studio code which is just an editor but it is very cool.install the required plugins .

After typing your code save the file and run with python idle installed.

You can use the editor for as many programming languages as you like once you install their plugins.The download sizes are not much.

3 Likes

Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 25, 2019
nappy760:

Visual studio is over 20GB to download that is why I am wondering when you said 1GB grin

Maybe you downloaded the disk image or the full setup the internet setup only requires like 2gb but it is compressed to 1gb 800mb self so
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by Fabulousb36(f): 8:32pm On Oct 29, 2019
Please where in Lagos can I get a tutorial class for Python as a beginner?
Re: Python Or Ruby For First Programming Learning by nappy760(m): 10:34pm On Oct 29, 2019
Fabulousb36:
Please where in Lagos can I get a tutorial class for Python as a beginner?

Have you tried online tutorials?...
You can also try joining meetup groups for support

(1) (Reply)

Zoom Meeting: How To Host Zoom Meeting / Mobile Site Programmer Wanted (Immediate Commencement) / Sudoku And Linear Algebra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.