Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? (9493 Views)

Npower: Do Not Disclose Your ATM Credentials / 4 Harmful Terms In Your Employment Contract / NPOWER Physical Verification, What's The Status In Your Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by kendological(m): 10:15am On Oct 24, 2019
Hello all, is it reasonable to tell an interviewer/prospective employer that you are currently employed? Although you are willing to take up their offer?
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Clinton16: 11:09am On Oct 25, 2019
[No quote author=kendological post=83417380]Hello all, is it reasonable to tell an interviewer/prospective employer that you are currently employed? Although you are willing to take up their offer?[/quote]
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Fidelismaria: 11:10am On Oct 25, 2019
No

It's not

1 Like

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Clinton16: 11:10am On Oct 25, 2019
No
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Offpoint: 11:11am On Oct 25, 2019
Yeah, so they won't think you're desperate.

If they ask you why you wanna leave, tell them you need a bigger pay check.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Freemanbobble: 11:12am On Oct 25, 2019
Sometimes there is no certain rules to follow when you are facing your employer
Just say anything and what you are

This life get as he be
Wetin go be go definitely be

I once said to my employer(Nipp electrical project in Edo state) when she asked me if i smoke
I said yes but i smoke the other one(weed)

And when list came out i saw my name on the third

They were the people that even opened my first account for me(zenith bank) for me to receive my salary

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by dyangprof(m): 11:12am On Oct 25, 2019
Yes. It makes the employer believed that you are truly currently experienced, up to task and worth ur onions

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by id4sho(m): 11:12am On Oct 25, 2019
no

But the position you are applying for matters.
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by iaamxavier(m): 11:14am On Oct 25, 2019
angry angry E be like you never ready to get the job bah

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by urbanemind(m): 11:15am On Oct 25, 2019
Yes of course, as long as you have a very good reason why you will be leaving your current job if you were to be employed.

And never make a derogatory comment about your current job...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 25, 2019
Most of employers prefer candidates who are currently employed and are switching careers than those with no job at all. Having a job at hand boost your chances.

18 Likes

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by chawtinz(m): 11:15am On Oct 25, 2019
wether you tell your prospective employer or not,
the one that will employ you will do or will not....
all the best!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by padi94(m): 11:17am On Oct 25, 2019
Dont think so, it hurts no one if you dont tell, it may hurt you if you do
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Bigval5: 11:17am On Oct 25, 2019
They will end up confusing you!

I'm just reading comments like 'Yes' 'No' 'Yes' 'No' 'Yes' 'Yes' 'No'

Maybe the person below will have a better response

1 Like

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by kelvxyn: 11:17am On Oct 25, 2019
Yes of cos.
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by emkz: 11:23am On Oct 25, 2019
I see people saying there are rules or regulations to get jobs.

There are none. Just be yourself. If the job is yours, you'd get it. Pray for God's Grace too because the best candidates are usually not hired.

If interviewer don't like you, you ain't getting the job no matter what you say or didn't say.

I once attended a bank interview in jeans and short-sleeve. I talk rubbish for that interview and I got the job. I also attended an interview with one of the big-four audit companies in brand new Italian suit and leather shoes; I interviewed the interviewer and she was selling her organization. She promised to set up an interview with one of the partners. I didn't get that interview and I didn't get the job.

So if you are employed, say so and say why you are leaving. Don't bad mouth your current employer and most importantly, know when to walk away from an interview in style if you feel you are being undervalued.

One thing these HR experts don't say is that hiring is determined by their moods.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Olalekank(m): 11:24am On Oct 25, 2019
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 25, 2019
Freemanbobble:

This life get as he be

I once said to my employer when she asked me if i smoke

gbayi! You be correct guy!

@OP just be honest. Honesty saves time.

1 Like

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by rafak: 11:25am On Oct 25, 2019
I like your response.
Quote author=Freemanbobble post=83447661]Sometimes there is no certain rules to follow when you are facing your employer

This life get as he be

I once said to my employer when she asked me if i smoke

[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 25, 2019
emkz:
I see people saying there are rules or regulations to get jobs.

There are none. Just be yourself. If the job is yours, you'd get it. Pray for God's Grace because the best candidates are usually not hired.

If interviewer don't like you, you ain't getting the job no matter what you say or didn't say.

I once attended a bank interview in jeans and short-sleeve. I got the job. I also attended an interview with one of the big-four in brand new Italian suit and leather shoes, I interviewed the interviewer and she was selling her organization. I didn't get the job.

So if you are employed, say so and say why you are leaving.

You be werey! You dey interview the interviewer LOL
You were perhaps viewed as over-confident.

But truly, just, like you mentioned, when God Don give you, no man can try

3 Likes

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Originalsly: 11:33am On Oct 25, 2019
Bro.... you don't volunteer information that may reduce your chances. If asked... then you answer...yes I am...period. It's for the interviewer to then ask follow up questions.... not for you to say where you work...position you hold etc.... they didn't ask all that.
If you currently work... it can be seen as you not being stable... if hired... you will be looking to jump to another job and wouldn't be committed to the company..... but it can also be seen as you have work ethics.... experience... and is up to date with present day work expectations.

1 Like

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by emkz: 11:36am On Oct 25, 2019
mikezuruki:

You be werey! You dey interview the interviewer LOL
You were perhaps viewed as over-confident.

But truly, just, like you mentioned, when God Don give you, no man can try

My brother, no he small thing oh. Even me sef dey ask myself why I was able to pull that stunt. Over-confidence is really key. But one must be careful so as not to be viewed as an idiot. There was another one sef, I talk something to the interviewer, the guy begin dey doubt himself. Me know for my mind say I no even understand wetin I talk.

All in all, na God hand dey arrange these things. I have seen brilliant candidates struggling to get jobs while not-so brilliant ones change jobs because they know how to engage and tap the Grace of God.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Sachiopropty(m): 11:37am On Oct 25, 2019
This Could Happen To You
Forms Of Real Estate Fraud In The Digital Age, And How To Avoid Errors.

https:///AGPbKkSWr5
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by yemmight(m): 11:37am On Oct 25, 2019
No professional will hide his/her employment status. It gives a potential employer an assurance that you are not just rotting doing nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by iammolise(m): 11:38am On Oct 25, 2019
Freemanbobble:

This life get as he be

I once said to my employer(Nipp electrical project in Edo state) when she asked me if i smoke

They were the people that even opened my first account for me(zenith bank) for me to receive my salary

That's the koko... U know many people believe presenting urself all saint and perfect gets u the job but that's not true. Originality and confidence level gets u in.
U may not even have the most capturing CV at that.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Rider007: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2019
feel u bro..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by iCauseTrouble: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2019
cool
Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Oduok(m): 11:41am On Oct 25, 2019
Yes. Especially if you are not a recent graduate. For someone that has been out of school for quite some time you are expected to be seen working - fully employed, underemployed, volunteering etc. It will show the potential employer that you have added value to yourself since graduation. The reason you need a new job is to change level, or long for more challenge or security. On the other hand if you appear not doing anything it will raise concern on the mind of your potential employer.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Florblu(f): 11:47am On Oct 25, 2019
Well...it depends on the requirements on the job adverts. There are some adverts where it is expressly stated that they need someone to start immediately so it is left to you to decide what you want to tell your interviewers.

But if the advert did not require someone who must resume immediately, i think its advisable to state that you are working so as to make the HR/recruiter know you have some knowledge/experience. Moreover, no employer is ready to employ a dummy. Employers want people who can work with minimal or no supervision

3 Likes

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Originalsly: 11:51am On Oct 25, 2019
Freemanbobble:

This life get as he be

Saying anything would not get you a job in any good company. That shows no filter between your brain and tongue....you're likely to say things that will do damage to the company. Speaking the truth is what one needs to do...not speak anything. On saying you smoke weed.... a weed smoker can be preferred over a cigarette smoker because a cigarette smoker is an addict and will have to be taking frequent breaks to go smoke..... would spend hours per day away from his work if he is a chain smoker. So don't take it to mean the job was there for you anyway... regardless of what you said

1 Like

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Toseenlove: 11:58am On Oct 25, 2019
Freemanbobble:

This life get as he be

Lol probably the employer might be a stoner too and perhaps she might have seen the signs either on your lips or thumb lol. So If u had lied, That would have been the end. Stoners hate liers, Hypocrites and snitches. Responsible Stoners are the most honest people In the world.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Important To Disclose Your Employment Status In An Interview? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 25, 2019
emkz:

My brother, no he small thing oh. Even me sef dey ask myself why I was able to pull that stunt. Over-confidence is really key. But one must be careful so as not to be viewed as an idiot. There was another one sef, I talk something to the interviewer, the guy begin dey doubt himself. Me know for my mind say I no even understand wetin I talk.

All in all, na God hand dey arrange these things. I have seen brilliant candidates struggling to get jobs while not-so brilliant ones change jobs because they know how to engage and tap the Grace of God.

You are right Brother. All in all, na God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enterprise Bank Calling / Coscharis Group Limited Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions) / Have Ever Lost A Job Opportunity Because Of Age?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.