Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria (47217 Views)

Primary School Pupils In Lagos Inside The Blue Line Train Today (Video) / My Visit To The Ancient Cave Of Ashes... Isarun In Ondo State. (pictures) / My Visit To The Old Idanre Town And The Story Of Idanre Hills( With pictures). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:03pm On Oct 28, 2019
Education is the building block to every successful society. So we decided to follow through on the history of formal education in Nigeria. Sit back relax, grab a cup of your favourite drink as we take you through how education began in Nigeria.
The first primary school in Nigeria is located in the town of Badagry, Lagos Nigeria. Badagry used to be a major commerce and slave hub in the 19th century. majority of the slaves in west Africa went through Badagry Point of No return.
During the colonial rude , which led to the introduction of Christianity in Nigeria which also led to the building of the first storey building in Nigeria where the yoruba bible was translated. Before then, the Colonial government have difficulties communicating with the locals which led to the building of the first primary school in Nigeria which was done through the Christian Missionary Society (CMS) 1843 and it's still standing till date.

Badagry holds a lot of history in Nigeria and this is also one of it.
1. First primary school
2. The Entrance of the chool
3. First school in Nigeria
4. The schools New name

https://www.travelwaka.com/history-of-the-first-primary-school-in-nigeria/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2019

1 Like

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:11pm On Oct 28, 2019
You can still find the relics of the school still standing after over a hundred years.

Its quite sad that we dont take tourism serious in this part of the world. This building could generate millions of naira monthly, It is free to enter its less than 5 minutes drive from the Badagry round about, It is just a stone throw from the Badagry Grammar School

2. Front view
3. Size view
4. More view

2 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:15pm On Oct 28, 2019
Lalasticlala imagines this tourist centre that could have earned us lots of money and the Nigerian Government isnt taking it seriously.

4 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
its quite sad that the building is currently left to decay, no maintenance, this building could have been well maintained and converted to a great tourist centre where millions of people will come to visit. we hope the government will look into this and make this tourist centre to a standard one.

What's your view on this?

26 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2019
The old school is currently not being in used, however this is the new school currently in use
1. The new classroom sof the school

6 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by Ipromote: 7:17pm On Oct 28, 2019
Wow! Cool stuff to know. St. Thomas

Promote your business to millions of people on social media. Check my Siggy

1 Like

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by ossaisly(m): 7:17pm On Oct 28, 2019
With all due respect, Nigeriis a joke!!!!

lipsrsealed

17 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by ThatFairGuy: 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
Relics of 1845 building till date shocked While some buildings of not up to 20 years are already levelled earth angry What a World �

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
Still waiting for the first olosho house

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by realestniggah: 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
Ah and as usual it an utter eyes sore.

Tueh..

5 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by Patrioticman007(m): 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
That's cool. Would You believe southerners only knew how to write & read with the coming of missionaries, while their Northern brothers were busy with compendiums & thesis since 9th century. Another misinformation is that the 1st storey building in Nigeria, was in the 18th, while the truth is that , Hausa land has one thousands and one storeys buildings before the coming of missionaries. Google these facts before you quote me.

5 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by TheDestroyer: 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
I just got informed that from November 1st there will be military check points across Nigeria plus stop and search for no reason . Military rule is gradually creeping in mixed with sharia law. Get ready, all of una wey dey laugh sowore go hear word las las since you people love oppression.

11 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by temmypotter(m): 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
Tourism?

Issokay

When even grander subjects/centers that'd attract massive tourism have eluded the FG.. that school is a long shot.
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by travelwaka: 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
nice
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by one1prax(m): 7:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
wow..i really should visit there

Promo! For 13k only, get your professional website/blog. whatsapp - 0706*3084171
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by tot(f): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
Badagry has so much history, from the slave trade relics to the first storey building and now the first primary school.

Caveat though, I think a lot more would need to be done to make this school a tourism destination.

Great job travelwaka, your posts are always so informative.

4 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by Neroiam(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
My village school na 1812
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by lifezone247(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
tot:
Badagry has so much history.

Great job travelwaka, your posts are always so informative.
as in so so much history, but my dear there is no single development in this place where its supposed to be a tourist attraction. Just try driving from mile 2 trying to visit badagry only the road will discourage you.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by kennosklint(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
Wow quite beautiful
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by StrikeBack(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
Thinking of what to type
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by one1prax(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
hhhh
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by abolem369(m): 7:19pm On Oct 28, 2019
Yea
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by ursullalinda(f): 7:20pm On Oct 28, 2019
Wow that's along time ago.....it supposed to be a tourist centre. But Naija na anyhow things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by iammo(m): 7:20pm On Oct 28, 2019
cool

Yoruba are first in almost everything positive in Nigeria, its good to know yoruba's have being seeking knowledge since the 18th century while some were clothless , killing twins and eating people

7 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by ednut1(m): 7:21pm On Oct 28, 2019
travelwaka:
its quite sad that the building is currently left to decay, no maintenance, this building could have been well maintained and converted to a great tourist centre where millions of people will come to visit. we hope the government will look into this and make this tourist centre to a standard one.

What's your view on this?
truth is no one will want to see this . The slave relics, first storey building and museum are a better option. But how many pple still go there
Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by 9jayes: 7:22pm On Oct 28, 2019
My great grandfather attended this school, he finished his primary school at the age of 19

2 Likes

Re: Travelwaka Visit To The First Primary School In Nigeria by tot(f): 7:22pm On Oct 28, 2019
lifezone247:
as in so so much history, but my dear there is no single development in this place where its supposed to be a tourist attraction. Just try driving from mile 2 trying to visit badagry only the road will discourage you.

I've heard about the terrible roads as well. Nigeria has a problem honestly.

Terrible governance = loss of potential opportunities left right and center.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did You Know SUDAN Has More PYRAMIDS Than Any Country On Earth? / I Regret Coming To Europe- Nigerian Woman Says, After Family Ate Her N30m (vid) / This Is Why I Think Ikogosi Warm & Cold Spring Is Over-hyped? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.