Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,158 members, 7,821,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? (1734 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Tharaja(m): 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
I am from Kogi state And I was in far away Ibadan when it happened to me...

Wanted to get some cash from ATM so I had to join the queue.

Together, they came..Two guyz who joined the queue but behind me.....They were also from Kogi, same tribe as me.

I sneezed and that was when the second guy after me told the guy nearest to me to shift away from me....

In my local language, he said: "This Yoruba boy wen stand for our front don go Smoke weed finish come dey sneeze for people body"

Mynd44; Lalasticlala
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Born2Breed(f): 3:43pm On Oct 29, 2019
Severally.. cheesy grin grin
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Tharaja(m): 4:02pm On Oct 29, 2019
Hehehehe......You experience it too!!! grin grin grin
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Bewiseedet(m): 4:13pm On Oct 29, 2019
Yes. Uncountable
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2019
Yes, multiple times.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 17, 2019
Actually the major culprits of situations like this are usually the yorubers.

For an ethnic group who prides themselves on respect, they sure do know how to insult people at every slightest opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by MicroBox: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2019
Ardar:

For an ethnic group who prides themselves on respect, they sure do know how to insult people at every slightest opportunity.
That's very true..
They will turn everything to joke when they realize you heard them.

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 17, 2019
MicroBox:

That's very true..
They will turn everything to joke when they realize you heard them.

Yes it's joke when it comes from them but it becomes hate when you give it back to them.

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by YourNemesis: 5:15pm On Nov 17, 2019
Ardar:

So Yorubas spoke your own local language against you? They must either be polyglots or you don’t understand the topic of the thread you are responding to. Or maybe you are just a fulltime bigot.
Wehdone ma.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 17, 2019
YourNemesis:

So Yorubas spoke your own local language against you? They must either be polyglots or you don’t understand the topic of the thread you are responding to. Or maybe you are just a fulltime bigot.
Wehdone ma.

Its funny that you'd call me a bigot when you exhibit it here on this platform all the time.

Besides you clearly did not understand what the op meant, those guys spoke in their language not knowing the op could understand them.

Typical yoruber, always accusing others of what they do everyday.

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by YourNemesis: 11:28pm On Nov 17, 2019
Ardar:

Its funny that you'd call me a bigot when you exhibit it here on this platform all the time.

Besides you clearly did not understand what the op meant, those guys spoke in their language not knowing the op could understand them.

Typical yoruber, always accusing others of what they do everyday.

Your IQ must be damn low..
How did you pass comprehension in secondary school?

Read the OP again... this time, very slowly. They spoke in their language thinking he was Yoruba not knowing he was actually of the same stock as they were... Now how can Yorubas speak in your own language against you like you were alluding to or are you daft?

Or maybe it is the Anti yoruba venom in you that is making you jump into conclusions before reading well. Actually you are just a bitter and frustrated bigot because I know damn well that it isn’t like you can’t spell Yoruba right but you keep using that twisted version of yours for whatever reason.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 18, 2019
YourNemesis:

Your IQ must be damn low..
How did you pass comprehension in s condary wchool?

Read the OP again... this time, very slowly. They spoke in their language thinking he was Yoruba not knowing he was actually of the same stock as they were... Now how can Yorubas speak in your own language against you like you were alluding to or are you daft?

Or maybe it is the Anti yoruba venom in you that is making you jump into conclusions before reading well. Actually you are just a bitter and frustrated bigot because I know damn well that it isn’t like you can’t spell Yoruba right but you keep using that twisted version of yours for whaterver reason.

You are a ret* arded mo.ron with a IQ lower than that of a neanderthal, I understood perfectly what the op meant.

If you can read clearly without hate and bile you'd clearly see in my first comment where I said that you yorubers are the major culprits of such behaviors, it's in your nature to insult people anyhow in your language while smiling at the person.

And yes I purposely spell yoruber that way cuz your people can't spell Igbo correctly

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by YourNemesis: 4:26pm On Nov 18, 2019
Ardar:

You are a ret* arded mo.ron with a IQ lower than that of a neanderthal, I understood perfectly what the op meant.

If you can read clearly without hate and bile you'd clearly see in my first comment where I said that you yorubers are the major culprits of such behaviors, it's in your nature to insult people anyhow in your language while smiling at the person.

And yes I purposely spell yoruber that way cuz your people can't spell Igbo correctly

There ia no way in heaven or hell you understood the OP “clearly” because what he just explained in the story is a different scenario from what you are accusing Yorubas of.. but you just wanted to drag them into the story. That shouldn’t be a shocker since you are just a crass prejudiced thing.

Is it ‘your people’ that don’t insult people in their own language behind them? The mgbeke from the tribe of St Innocentus.
Village okpo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 4:41pm On Nov 18, 2019
Tharaja:

Together, they came..Two guyz who joined the queue but behind me.....

I sneezed and that was when the second guy after me told the guy nearest to me to shift away from me....

In my local language, he said: "This Yoruba boy wen stand for our front don go Smoke weed finish come dey sneeze for people body"

Mynd44; Lalasticlala

Did you reply in your language?

I heard of a Nigerian lady who was mistaken for a foreigner perhaps in England and some Nigerian men were mocking and insulting her in Yoruba, not knowing she could understand what they said (she was Yoruba). She then proceeded to insult and curse the living daylights out of them in their own language and they were so shocked they shamefacedly and quietly exited or something.

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 18, 2019
YourNemesis:

There ia no way in heaven or hell you understood the OP “clearly” because what he just explained in the story is a different scenario from what you are accusing Yorubas of.. but you just wanted to drag them into the story. That shouldn’t be a shocker since you are just a crass prejudiced thing.

Is it ‘your people’ that don’t insult people in their own language behind them? The mgbeke from the tribe of St Innocentus.
Village okpo.

*Signs* it's now getting obvious that you are a lost case.

Go back to school and learn more about comprehension.

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 12:15am On Nov 20, 2019
Ardar:

1. The Op is actually a liar :

Kogi isn't a yoruba word and solely not a Yoruba ethnic group's state because they have more than two ethnic groups in that state. So, I find his story as incoherent with his claim of being a ‘yoruba' guy. Perhaps, you didn't comprehend that he claimed to be a Yoruba guy! ‘In my own local language' grin . If he is indeed a Yoruba person ,why make it your problem? After all, it is supposed to be a Yoruba affair.

2. You fell for his/her concocted fake information:

You're actually gullible because you are quick to the Op statement because not everything you read online is actually true. What if the scenario was about a Yoruba guy in midst of non Yorubas? Fictitious habit are seen every now and then. So,it is a norm among some circle of people to naturally create a scene for commotion online.

3. You are the one who doesn't know much about Yoruba people:

Trust me, the Yoruba are more self restrained in term of respect than non Yoruba people without religion intonation ( Ile la ti ko ésho ro odi). This is the reason Yoruba men marry more women from other ethnic groups than vice versa in the whole of Nigeria.So, it is fact that Yoruba men with their ‘soft touch' make other ladies more comfortable. Interestingly extremely few Yoruba ladies marry non Yoruba people as compared to other ladies from other ethnic groups. This show their preference in marriage. Even if non Yoruba men married Yoruba ladies, kindly verify the children of such marriage as regard the preference to whom the children interact more with.

4. You defamed the character of a whole ethnic geoup with the homogenous largest ethnic group in Nigeria through your conclusive opinion:

You seemingly assumed that some Agberos(transport tout) or other ill mannered people are all Yoruba people when in fact they are less than 0.01 % in comparison to Yoruba's entire ethnic group. Have you suddenly forgotten Yoruba is the most tolerant ethnic group in Nigeria? Besides, there is no ethnic group that does not acknowledged Yoruba land as the land of Almighty God. Fact are there for you to behold . I have seen many non Yoruba people in Yoruba land became millionair in $ without Yoruba people being xenophobia. Besides, most non Yoruba individual from other ethnic groups in Nigeria do have headquarter of their churches or businesses in Yoruba land. grin cheesy. Stop the hate!

5. You seem to admire Yoruba people even with their flaws: I am sure you probably had dated a Yoruba guy before because your aggressive attitude point to that direction and the footprint of such is in your heart. You see, we aren't perfect and do acknowledged our errors, which is the reason , Yoruba people are critics of the ills in the society, in the same manner praise to anyone who excel in a godly way in our society. Kindly try to condemn bad eggs in your own ethnic group even if they are rich. Yoruba don't worship money but strive to be rich.

My final submittion is that : Any one from any ethnic group in the world could react on instance as being sneezed upon in an uncultured manner.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Tharaja(m): 12:39pm On Dec 05, 2019
Oh My God!!!......Arda and YourNemesis please, pls and pls it hasnt got to that extent. Pls you people should stop throwing tantrums and making my thread to look like a battle ground for tribal war....Pls I beg una.

The reason i created this topic is because my own tribal (Igala boys) thought I was a yoruba guy while we on d ATM queue in Mokola in Ibadan, using some derogatory words on me
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Tharaja(m): 12:45pm On Dec 05, 2019
My predicament in the hands of my own tribal guys on that day can happen to anybody.

It can happen to anybody......and I jst want to make d picture clearer for Mr Olu317 because I dnt really get you in your number 1 & 2 assumptions upthere.

Once again, Arda and YourNemesis, make una remember say we no fit progress if we divided along ethnic lines.

1 Like

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 2:19pm On Dec 05, 2019
Tharaja:
My predicament in the hands of my own tribal guys on that day can happen to anybody.

It can happen to anybody......and I jst want to make d picture clearer for Mr Olu317 because I dnt really get you in your number 1 & 2 assumptions upthere.

Once again, Arda and YourNemesis, make una remember say we no fit progress if we divided along ethnic lines.

You, Tharaja, indrectly painted Yoruba as bad people, which remained the reason, I had to outrightly damn your alliance asYoruba person, as you stated it as ,.....

“In my local language, he said: "This Yoruba boy wen stand for our front don go Smoke weed finish come dey sneeze for people body"

The above statement is an insult to us Yoruba because, I am a citizen of this largest ethnic homogenous group in Africa ,whose language is the most spoken outside Africa.

Since you are Igala person, so stand for who are and don't muddle up your identity, which is different from Yoruba identity. After all, Igala is Borgu, Nupe group that found themselves amidst Yoruba few element because there's a slight close relationship between Yoruba language and Igala but not a Yoruba language. Thus, it is not of any intention to engage because, if you don't damn my nationality in the pattern you posited your view by inserting this hypocrisy against Yoruba people,then you and I won't have any reason to engage on this thread of yours.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by GOFRONT(m): 2:44pm On Dec 05, 2019
Several times..
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by GOFRONT(m): 2:48pm On Dec 05, 2019

Kogi isn't a yoruba word and solely not a Yoruba ethnic group's state because they have more than two ethnic groups in that state. So, I find his story as incoherent with his claim of being a ‘yoruba' guy. Perhaps, you didn't comprehend that he claimed to be a Yoruba guy! ‘In my own local language' grin . If he is indeed a Yoruba person ,why make it your problem? After all, it is supposed to be a Yoruba affair.

Hello Olu317, try calm down and read through Op's topic again.....Gently this time around. @ the bolded, there was never a place in the write up where Op claimed to be a Yoruba guy. He stated clearly from the starting that he was from Kogi state but lived in Ibadan where he was bashed by his own tribesmen.....His write up is simple enough
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by GOFRONT(m): 3:00pm On Dec 05, 2019
You, Tharaja, indrectly painted Yoruba as bad people, which remained the reason, I had to outrightly damn your alliance asYoruba person, as you stated it as ,.....

“In my local language, he said: "This Yoruba boy wen stand for our front don go Smoke weed finish come dey sneeze for people body"

The above statement is an insult to us Yoruba because, I am a citizen of this largest ethnic homogenous group in Africa ,whose language is the most spoken outside Africa.

Since you are Igala person, so stand for who are and don't muddle up your identity, which is different from Yoruba identity. After all, Igala is Borgu, Nupe group that found themselves amidst Yoruba few element because there's a slight close relationship between Yoruba language and Igala but not a Yoruba language. Thus, it is not of any intention to engage because, if you don't damn my nationality in the pattern you posited your view by inserting this hypocrisy against Yoruba people,then you and I won't have any reason to engage on this thread of yours.

Na wa !!!This man Olu317.

@the first bolded, How? How?? How did he paint youruba as bad people?

@second bolded, Can't you see a quote sign? What is a quote Mr Olu??....A quote is a group of words or statement made or spoken by another person.....those words in d second bolded up there came from the mouth of one of his tribesmen on the queue and not from Op tharja himself. Do you get d drift now??

Now @ 3rd bolded above, you said the words in quote is an insult to Yoruba people. Hey Mr Olu317, I hope you know it is not the Op that made that above statement, I hope u know d statement came from his state guyz. And what exactly is an insult to Mr Olu in that scenario when Op was actually their Victim??

Some guyz sha!!!.....That's how they always Misinterprete NwaAmaikpe's comments without settling down to read and digest before typing crap.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 5:27pm On Dec 05, 2019
GOFRONT:

Na wa !!!This man Olu317.

@the first bolded, How? How?? How did he paint youruba as bad people?

@second bolded, Can't you see a quote sign? What is a quote Mr Olu??....A quote is a group of words or statement made or spoken by another person.....those words in d second bolded up there came from the mouth of one of his tribesmen on the queue and not from Op tharja himself. Do you get d drift now??

Now @ 3rd bolded above, you said the words in quote is an insult to Yoruba people. Hey Mr Olu317, I hope you know it is not the Op that made that above statement, I hope u know d statement came from his state guyz. And what exactly is an insult to Mr Olu in that scenario when Op was actually their Victim??

Some guyz sha!!!.....That's how they always Misinterprete NwaAmaikpe's comments without settling down to read and digest before typing crap.

I don't know if it was true about the Op's submission, but he actually wrote his mind on this platform. Perhaps, you were at the scene of the damnation! The fact is that the OP got what he wants; ‘attention'. So, I dont blame your type. Yet, his intention is to make it look as if he is innocent and to guess the identical of the culprits.After all, Mokola na Yoruba land. Interestingly, Yoruba is intelligible to Igala speakers.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 5:39pm On Dec 05, 2019
What exactly is unclear about the original post?
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 5:42pm On Dec 05, 2019
Tharaja:

Together, they came..Two guyz who joined the queue but behind me.....They were also from Kogi, same tribe as me.

-Are you sure they didn't know you're their kinsman? Perhaps you don't identify with your tribe and people have started to notice this.

-What are the random odds two persons from your tribe would be standing right behind you in a far away place? Not even one, but two.

-Are you partly Yoruba?

-What do you know about where you're from?

- Did you recognize the guys as being from your tribe before they started talking about you?

-Anything to do with politics?
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 5:46pm On Dec 05, 2019
GOFRONT:

Hello Olu317, try calm down and read through Op's topic again.....Gently this time around. @ the bolded, there was never a place in the write up where Op claimed to be a Yoruba guy. He stated clearly from the starting that he was from Kogi state but lived in Ibadan where he was bashed by his own tribesmen.....His write up is simple enough
Nice try on byour but the purpose of the thread is to create confusion,which, he achieved because the OP's introductory didn't identify himself as ‘Igala' until, I had to mentioned it that he isn't a Yoruba man. Afterall, Igala isnt the only group in Kogi state..

In btw, it is wickedness for anyone to purportedly desire to devilish so as garner attention when not needed or for cheap motive.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 6:11pm On Dec 05, 2019
Olu317:
Nice try on byour but the purpose of the thread is to create confusion,which, he achieved because the OP's introductory didn't identify himself as ‘Igala' until, I had to mentioned it that he isn't a Yoruba man. Afterall, Igala isnt the only group in Kogi state..

In btw, it is wickedness for anyone to purportedly desire to devilish so as garner attention when not needed or for cheap motive.

The op never said he's Yoruba.

In my local language, he said: "This Yoruba boy

What he typed was the people behind him called him a Yoruba person.

It sounds to me he was referred to as Yoruba in a perjorative manner, ie as someone who is ignorant of his identity.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Tharaja(m): 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2019
Lol.... grin They didnt know I am their kinsman. If they know, they would not have said that thing loudly to my hearing.

I was just a Corper serving in Ibadan when it happened.

The two of them came together and I did not even recognize them as being from my tribe. It was after i sneeze that i got to know. grin
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 11:25pm On Dec 05, 2019
Tharaja:

Lol.... grin They didnt know I am their kinsman. If they know, they would not have said that thing loudly to my hearing.

I was just a Corper serving in Ibadan when it happened.

The two of them came together and I did not even recognize them as being from my tribe. It was after i sneeze that i got to know. grin

Sneezing might be viewed in various ways by different people.

So, why did you sneeze? Was something in the environment an allergen?

When someone sneezes, folks usually say "God bless you", due to the belief you must pray about it,

and to rebuke any evil

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by speed99: 11:35pm On Dec 05, 2019
Very wonderful thread on simple English comprehension.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 6:50am On Dec 06, 2019
nlPoster:

The op never said he's Yoruba.

What he typed was the people behind him called him a Yoruba person.

It sounds to me he was referred to as Yoruba in a perjorative manner, ie as someone who is ignorant of his identity.
There is no iota of doubt about being accused of being from another ethnic group but my point is that the OP's intention is to debate on behavioural pattern of Yoruba people. After all, he didn't mention, his tribe at first on his Post . Instead, he mentioned, ‘I am from Kogi', which means, the Post has ethnic undertone until later that complains about his motive exposed.

Secondly, he did claim,one of the two guys, spoke in his own language about a Yoruba boy who has just smoked weed which was the reason for sneezing in their front while on queue! Interestingly, the OP intention fit well for the purpose of this post, for accusation of Yoruba people and counter accusation of not being. The reason being that he did no correction of his tribe's men about his own tribe's identity when he was insulted of being a weed smoker from assumably from a Yoruba ethnic group because of his facial look or *uncivilized conduct*. Although, I have seen many people calling others as people of another ethnic group when these people are not but such wrong ethnic identity are often corrected ,if one is different from such ethnic or tribe's ,which is expected to had been done instantaneously by OP at the scene but mischievously, he was silent about this part.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Betrayal!!! How To Tell If She Have Had Sex With Someone Else / Question About The Tuareg, I've Been Getting Conflicting Information / True African Beauty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.