Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,555 members, 7,865,309 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 03:29 PM

Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home (50802 Views)

Exxonmobil, Shell, Chevron To Withdraw $3bn Suits Against NNPC / Chevron To Leave Nigeria / Chevron Quitting Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by fashrola(m): 7:48am On Oct 30, 2019
Gerrard59:

Seplat, Eland, Seven Energy etc.

Paying crumbs to workers......
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Blackvic1: 7:51am On Oct 30, 2019
Jimi24:
Buhari will give their oil block to the Russians. Chevron is owing Nigeria a big percentage of the $61bn the oil majors are owing Nigeria and they got to pay before they leave.
Of you think it is Buhari 's policies chasing away a rapacious, cheating and selfish global company that cheated Nigeria during tue era of the most cluelessly corrupt govt in.Nigeria then it is inferiority complex worrying you
buhari give Russia oil block for them to do what with it? Russia has more oil than Nigeria and they produce almost 10millipn barrel per day and they are still looking for whom to buy it and you are here talking about giving oil blocks...lol russia is looking for who to Buy there own oil
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by fashrola(m): 7:52am On Oct 30, 2019
Adewale623:
it's a good news for Nigerians, let DANGOTE refinery take over from them.

What is dis one saying? Lol

1 Like

Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by bigpicture001: 7:57am On Oct 30, 2019
weslay:
Chevron is pulling out because it is no longer in their best interest to operate in Nigeria.
Do we have Nigerian firms that can sufficiently take over their operations?
For a country that still rely on other countries to fix it's roads, I doubt.
Our leaders need to realize that oil will not be here forever. They need to wake up and take adequate actions because the socioeconomic crisis in Venezuela will be child's play when our wells run dry.

If a Nigerian firm takes over, politics of ethnicity nd bitterness through licence withdrawals nd victimization wont allow it operate
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Getsaved(m): 7:58am On Oct 30, 2019
alwaysvik:

Yenyenyenyen truly educated my ass. Please say what you know.

NNPC has a 60/40 sharing formula with every single oil company operating in Nigeria. It's called a JV for that reason. So for every dollar Chevron makes, NNPC takes 60 cents our of it. The real question is: what happens to that 60 cents? Can Nigeria account for that money? How many jobs are realistically given on merit at NNPC? what is the state of the refineries operated by NNPC? Has NNPC developed enough to independently manage and operate the oil fields? These are begging questions.

Chevron has a merit-based recruitment procedure for the most part (even though man know man still operates in small pockets). Chevron is accountable, at least to the US government and their shareholders. One of the best-managed businesses is about to leave the country, leaving a large trail of stranded employees, with no national company big enough to take them in and someone is typing rubbish from their ass about Nigeria benefiting.

Here's what might happen - Chevron will sell offshore and onshore assets to the highest bidder. I won't be surprised if NNPC buys some of it and then mismanages it like all other national assets. Or even sell it to another single highest bidder like Otedola or Dangote the same way theý broke NEPA into 11 DISCOS and one person bought 7 of them.

Nigeria is in trouble, the signs aren't good.

I read all the comments I must say I like what you said. You know, I am from the ND, Delta state precisely. When foreign companies left during the Warri crisis, we (especially those in the Warri metropolis) know the bad effect today. Chevron happens to be one of the best managed oil companies - in terms of organisation, remuneration, community balance e.t.c. They don't cause confusion like SPDC that knocks community leaders head together for their own benefit. If Chevron is leaving because of going for renewable energy as They said, that is okay for them but not us as a country. But if the government is trying to frustrate them so that it will hand over the company to the likes of saudi Aramco or Russian companies with ulterior motive, then it is worse. We have good companies in Nigeria that are very much like chevron, although they are not multinational yet thy are very discipline and organised by good people. I pray this does not lead to us to what happened to Warri and Sapele - when foereign companies left them. And most importantly, this act by chevron is not compelled by any religious undertone from the government of todày.
Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by kes4glory(m): 8:21am On Oct 30, 2019
Gerrard59:

Seplat, Eland, Seven Energy etc.

Seven energy is a British independent film
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Razram: 8:37am On Oct 30, 2019
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by 1kinggy(m): 8:48am On Oct 30, 2019
iamJ:
Google aramco

It's a nationally owned oil company

Stop depending on whites

It's 2019 not 1929

All these companies were taking our money elsewhere

Better they left self

The guy no read a line for the post.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by NothingDoMe: 9:33am On Oct 30, 2019
johnmattew:
that company is bigger than apple, Microsoft and Google together
That company is not a Nigerian company.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by NothingDoMe: 9:43am On Oct 30, 2019
iamJ:
Google aramco

Stop depending on whites

It's 2019 not 1929

Better they left self
But aramco is run by whites
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Elijahnonso1(m): 10:03am On Oct 30, 2019
Save journey to them. This people that made me travel two times to Ugwuocha all the way from Abakaliki for scholarship and never paid anything. No result released. They should go please.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Gerrard59(m): 10:14am On Oct 30, 2019
kes4glory:

Seven energy is a British independent film

My bad, I thought it was Nigerian owned.

fashrola:

Paying crumbs to workers......

Companies don't pay her employees more than they generate.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by fashrola(m): 10:40am On Oct 30, 2019
Gerrard59:

My bad, I thought it was Nigerian owned.

Companies don't pay her employees more than they generate.

U think?

That's a wrong assumption... especially when it comes to Indigenous companies

Let's use maritime firms as case study...

Let's say Company XYZ (Nigerian company) has two security boats with 5 years contract with Total and daily charter rate is $12k and the captain is paid 800k per month without other allowances

Then company ZYX (Foreign Company) is paying more tax and other fees to Nigerian government than it's counterpart.. has the same number of boat or even one with daily charter rate of $9k and the captain is paid N2.3 million per month with lot of benefits as an employee

Note: This is a true reflection of what is happening in the maritime sector

So what are you trying to say?
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by americaninja1: 10:55am On Oct 30, 2019
What kind of good news is dat.. Thats wat all of u said when u chased all the white an clamoring for independence. NNPC and FG is still dere embezzling the little we making from oil without physical development. Now read that oil has been discovered in TEXAS and NEW MEXICO, so i wonder who will buy the oil from u nw. Oil price will fall and indigenous oil company wont be able to maintain and sustain dere company. FG an NNPC wont still stop mismanaging the so little amount realized. In order, to make money off oil , local price would be increased.
Charmingrascal:
For those who are truly educated and know economics and know what we stand to gain as a country

This is a good news
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by frankson1(m): 11:07am On Oct 30, 2019
iamJ:
Google aramco

Stop depending on whites

It's 2019 not 1929

Better they left self

A very big THANK YOU to you.
Don't mind all these guys that know nothing but claim to know.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 30, 2019
Madas1986:
Not yet happy until your family leave Nigeria too
cheesy
My family is miles away from Nigeria.
Besides, no country in this world survives alone. As big as UK and America or China are, they still have multinationals situated amongst them.

Dubai that we flood to everyday is the way it is because of the presence of multinationals.

And we are busy pursuing the best multinational company we have in Nigeria.
Wish them luck.
Total Nigeria hinted on that like 3 yrs ago.
Don't know if they are still going ahead or not.
We all should be worried.
Really worried.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 30, 2019
NothingDoMe:
But aramco is run by whites

He was very quick to type grin
Not knowing that it's a multinational company like chevron.

Most of the people commenting don't really know anything about international economics or they are still in secondary school.
No country is self sufficient. U will just crumble and your money will become an ordinary paper. The naira strength is already very weak as it is.
A multinational pulls out with sub smaller companies that depends on it shutting up, thousands of staffs become unemployed and the much needed foreign exchange is becoming smaller.
That's a disaster waiting to happen.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by frankson1(m): 11:45am On Oct 30, 2019
johnmattew:
it's not hard to know illiterates....ur dumbness couldn't discern that his move by chevron is a good one for dangote and local investors

Sir, it is very impossible trying to correct or educate all of them on this forum.

I think it has come to the point where I can say that they are irredeemable.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by ULSHERLAN(m): 1:42pm On Oct 30, 2019
AK481:

And the new company don’t have their already existing managers abi?

They will operate with 2 md,2 svp, and also pay chevron staff the same salary abi?

Restructuring
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by 2800net(m): 1:48pm On Oct 30, 2019
Have you thought about those who will loss their Jobs. angry
iamJ:
Google aramco

Stop depending on whites

It's 2019 not 1929

Better they left self
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by Gerrard59(m): 3:17pm On Oct 30, 2019
fashrola:

U think?

That's a wrong assumption... especially when it comes to Indigenous companies

Let's use maritime firms as case study...

Let's say Company XYZ (Nigerian company) has two security boats with 5 years contract with Total and daily charter rate is $12k and the captain is paid 800k per month without other allowances

Then company ZYX (Foreign Company) is paying more tax and other fees to Nigerian government than it's counterpart.. has the same number of boat or even one with daily charter rate of $9k and the captain is paid N2.3 million per month with lot of benefits as an employee

Note: This is a true reflection of what is happening in the maritime sector

So what are you trying to say?

One can argue:

- That the foreign firm employs less number of people than the local firm.

- The interest rate paid by the local firm to financial institutions is higher than her foreign counterpart.

- The taxes paid by local firm is high for her considering she doesn't have a superior office to support operations.

- The negotiating power by the employee prior to employment and other factors.

Although, I'm not in the maritime industry but those can be other factors for the difference in remuneration.

1 Like

Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by johnmattew: 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2019
onlyforchrist:

Really nigga? cover your face. Facebook alone will buy Chevron 5 times over. Apple is the biggest and most valuable company in the world with over $1T USD worth. Chevron is $230B worth.
I'm talking about Saudi Aramco
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by fashrola(m): 8:44pm On Oct 30, 2019
Gerrard59:

One can argue:

- That the foreign firm employs less number of people than the local firm.

You know that some local companies does not have an organized organization structure, some employees are working out of their job scope

- The interest rate paid by the local firm to financial institutions is higher than her foreign counterpart.

You sef know this ain't true.... Foreign companies pay more than local companies

- The taxes paid by local firm is high for her considering she doesn't have a superior office to support operations.

This ain't true rather

- The negotiating power by the employee prior to employment and other factors.

Although, I'm not in the maritime industry but those can be other factors for the difference in remuneration.
Re: Chevron To Leave Nigeria To Focus On Shale Back Home by onlyforchrist: 5:23am On Oct 31, 2019
johnmattew:
I'm talking about Saudi Aramco
oh okay. peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Man's Boutique Business From 2005 To 2018 In Pictures / Police Fire Tear Gas At Innoson Motors Workers, GTB Moves To Shut Down Factory / Kano Hotelier, Tahir Fadallah Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.