Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,428 members, 7,812,260 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety (7615 Views)

5 Tips To Make Your CV Standout And Grab Employers Attention In 2020 / 5 Tips To Increase The Value Of Your CV / 5 Tips To Help You Get A Job Abroad From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:08am On Oct 30, 2019
Regardless of your education and experience, a job interview is a high stress situation. You can have all of the training and past success in the world, yet still find yourself clamming up when it’s time to explain to the interviewer what makes you a good fit for this role. It is so painful that the interview process has caused countless qualified applicants to lose their cool under pressure, sometimes unraveling completely through vocal tremors and sweaty palms. Good news for you! Kindly go through these easy ways on how you can stay calm during the job interview.

1. RECOGNIZE WHY YOU’RE THERE

Take comfort in the fact that you’ve been offered an interview at all. In many cases, this means you’ve already vaulted to the top pool of applicants. “You wouldn’t be interviewing for the organization if they didn’t think you could do the job,” says Sharon Givier, a career expert. “They want you to talk about your qualifying skills and experiences, but you wouldn’t be there if they didn’t think you had the basics.” Be confident in your abilities, there’s something about you that has already caught the interest of the potential employer. Think about these attributes and make sure you touch on them during the interview.

2. COME UP WITH ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS

Reduce the likelihood of a question catching you off guard by preparing answers in advance. Here are several common job interviews to consider: where do you see yourself in five years? What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses? What experience do you have that relates to this position?

Look delivering some of your answers to the mirror, and pay attention to your facial expression. For some people, a smile can mask most of the nerves. Others may prefer a neutral face to an anxious grin. Smile like your job depends on it. Try to actively foster the impression that you’re an affable, compassionate person anyone would be lucky to work with.

3. BE AN ACTIVE LISTENER

While it’s always beneficial to rehearse an interview beforehand, it’s just as important that you stay actively engaged during the interview. Taking time to listen, will give your body and mind a break from being on the hot seat where it feels every nuance is being detected.

4. MEMORIZE A SHORT STATEMENT

Write a short statement about 30-60 seconds long, that describes yourself and what you’ll bring to the company. Memorize this and rehearse it until you can say it naturally and with confidence. Starting out with a well-prepared answer to “tell me about yourself, can be a great confidence booster.

5. SPEAK SLOWLY AND DON’T FORGET TO BREATHE

Lastly, when you get nervous, fear kicks in and you may start to panic. As a result, you’ll sweat and may speak very quickly. This can be off-putting to an interviewer, and may leave them with an impression of you that simply isn’t accurate. Fortunately, you can quickly quell your nerves and regain control. Start by taking a few deep breaths before you start speaking. Fight the urge as if you must spit out your answers as quickly as possible. It’s perfectly acceptable to pause after a question has been posed to you, so that you can fully process the inquiry and respond accordingly. Gather your thoughts and respond only when you feel ready.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/5-tips-to-help-you-overcome-job-interview-anxiety/

5 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 30, 2019
I don't know why I always comment on your posts these days. I just love the fact that you hit me up with facts. You made me realize reasons I've not been hired despite my great skill sets.
Keep it up.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by ainas247: 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
cool
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Jobio1(f): 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
Ok
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by pinkyruledworld(m): 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
Na when you reach interviewer front everything go disappear

9 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by lawrenzooo: 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
Nice one
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by MrStan11(m): 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
Using oyibo approach to solve African problem.

Lol

First timers should pay attention though.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Gudguyz(m): 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2019
Nice for the job seekers

For your power Solution:
Solar and Inverter installations Call or What's app Sunmax Solar & Electronics shop.For details pls check my profile.Thanks
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Emily22(m): 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2019
dayo2me:
I don't know why I always comment on your posts these days. I just love the fact that you hit me up with facts. You made me realize reasons I've not been hired despite my great skill sets.
Keep it up.

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuule
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Nthrone(m): 1:21pm On Oct 30, 2019
Ok
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 30, 2019
Emily22:

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuule
itumo?
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Eggovic: 1:29pm On Oct 30, 2019
dayo2me:
Keep it up.
Please I'm asking out of curiosity, what's your skillset?
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by tsfxtech(m): 1:34pm On Oct 30, 2019
Nice

You will agree with me that short videos engages potential customers more than mere text and images. Animate your business today
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by mickool(m): 1:47pm On Oct 30, 2019
Thanks but where is even the jobs sef?
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by mixta140: 2:11pm On Oct 30, 2019
Nice
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2019
Pls who cam help me answer this interview question.
1: Tell us a time when you had to communicate reports of your work to different stakeholders?

2: who were the stakeholders ?

3: what method of communication did you chose in such situation and why ?

4: what challenge did you encounter and how did you handle the challenges ?

Pls i need help on these.
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 30, 2019
Eggovic:

Please I'm asking out of curiosity, what's your skillset?
mobile app development , that's my stack. I have strong experience in using Java. I am proficient in the use of Java OOP
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Eggovic: 2:58pm On Oct 30, 2019
dayo2me:
mobile app development , that's my stack. I have strong experience in using Java. I am proficient in the use of Java OOP
Truly with a tech portfolio you should be embarrassed with countless options. Tried working remotely?
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
Eggovic:

Truly with a tech portfolio you should be embarrassed with countless options. Tried working remotely?
okay, I will try that. Thanks
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Eggovic: 5:32pm On Oct 30, 2019
dayo2me:
okay, I will try that. Thanks
Uwc. Look out for 'upwork' 'indeed.com' and fiverr too
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by abujacomputertu: 6:00pm On Oct 30, 2019
Good points.
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by lasmile(f): 6:23pm On Oct 30, 2019
Do you have an innovative business idea?
Learn the skills and get your business funded at the Startup & Innovation Boot-Camp 2020.

Funding/MBA/MSc available for all participants.
Hurry up �� register here* https:///Mx8DPXnkYa
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Legendguru: 7:23pm On Oct 30, 2019
Oh
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Omalichabby(f): 9:20pm On Oct 30, 2019
Thank you for this. I have an interview on Monday and I hope this helps me
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by Cherrish154(m): 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2019
Thanks for the helpful tips, I think they will help sometime smiley
Re: 5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety by 8Djukerallish88: 1:36am On Oct 31, 2019
You can also add 6 advice, where, for example, you need to send a resume to many companies, but you need to compile it correctly and each profession has its own specifics of filling out the form. There is a special constructor that helps with this, it is very simple https://www.getcoverletter.com

(1) (Reply)

Exxonmobil Nigeria Recruits (13 Positions) / Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. / Nigeria Security & Civil Defence Corpse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.