Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,195 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. (7621 Views)

Have You Ever Dozed Off At An Interview? / Things To Do Before Going For An Interview / I Passed An Interview For A Job In Antwerp, Belgium, But I Have A Problem. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 24, 2017
I am getting ready for an interview for the post of a system engineer in a digital television company.
Which questions should I expect about systems engineering in a company like that.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 24, 2017
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by danielicon(m): 9:17pm On Jan 24, 2017
udordike:
I am getting ready for an interview for the post of a system engineer in a digital television company.
Which questions should I expect about systems engineering in a company like that.
u go dey give some part of your salary when you get the job??

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by veekid(m): 7:42am On Jan 25, 2017
Believe in yourself and have a little faith

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by SexyNairalander: 7:43am On Jan 25, 2017
booked
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by nabegibeg: 7:45am On Jan 25, 2017
Make una help the guy ooo

It may be your turn next time

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by spoilerx: 7:46am On Jan 25, 2017
udordike:

job description should help

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 25, 2017
1. Don't get high
2. Don't eat too much
3. Be yourself
4. Put your phone on silent
5. Maintain eye contact
6. Listen attentively
7. All the best

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by jtjohn(m): 7:49am On Jan 25, 2017
Were are the job gurus in the house please help Him out...what I have for you is that God will qualify u when u are not qualify.........be rest assured that u are next to testify......

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by jd1986(m): 7:55am On Jan 25, 2017
udordike:
They may ask funny questions like:

What is DHCP?
What is PING?
& so on.... Just prepare ur self well cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 25, 2017
Though I am not into System Engineering.

My little advice is :

1. Dress smart
2. Do a little research about the company
3. Just have a basic knowledge of the function of a system engineer in a digital tv station---know the basic working principle of broadcasting,the hardwares operation.
4. Just be calm during the interview
5. And make sure you ask your interviewer question on how the company operates,this shows you are interested in the company.

I wish you all the best.

5 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 25, 2017
Is the job in Nigeria? If not, just go on Google and type in systems engineering interview questions + the company name. If its in Nigeria, then I don't know....

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Benjom(m): 8:06am On Jan 25, 2017

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by MistaBabz: 8:07am On Jan 25, 2017
Expect HR standard questions bro. For example;
1. Tell me about yourself? (most frequent first question in all interviews)
2. Why should we hire you? (frequently asked)
3. What are your weaknesses?
4. What are your strengths?
5. What do you know about this company?
(you have to read & their history, what they do & if possible know their top managers - linkedin.com will help here)
6. What is your salary expectation?
7. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
8. How do you work under pressure?
9. How did your education prepared you for your career?

NB: They want to see your CONFIDENCE, Attitude is Everything, prove to them that you have what it takes to do the job, most importantly maintain eye contact & speak clearly. Be precise & clear in your answers.

All the best bro

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by sabams08: 8:09am On Jan 25, 2017
You should be able to answer most of the questions on the link below

https://tnind./system-administrator-interview-questions/

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by geekybabe(f): 8:20am On Jan 25, 2017
Do you know the job description? Can you defend any questions asked about the job?

Its supposed to be a technical role. Expect something technical and not just focus on this bizarre HR questions.

My advice. IF you dont know much about the job practically, then do a solid research and read. There might be a practical technical interview but most Nigerian companies hardly do that. They are too busy focusing on 'where do you see yourself in the next 5 years'.

Package your research with good confidence and loosen up. Make up your mind to get the job. Be vocal, never show any signs of being timid or weak. Make a very good impression.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Lifeis247: 8:38am On Jan 25, 2017
Am assuming you do not have a certification in that area yet?.
As a Systems Engineer in most org. you are expected to understand the following;
- Basic network architecture (LAN/WAN)
- Know the difference between a public/private IP addresses and Understand IP subnets.
- Understand different server architecture and server roles (i.e DNS servers/web servers/application servers)
_ Understand Basic end user support roles.
- Most importantly, try to know what network structures they have in place i.e brand/type of server and OS. if they use linux, make sure you know bit of it. u should be comfortable with Microsoft server OS, VM ware, Hypervisor.
- Know about video editing applications (especially the one they use)/know about graphic cards

..My brother its a load of this and that, but the above knowledge should give you confidence to look into their eyes and talk your own.

Wish u luck.

10 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by sakalisis(m): 8:39am On Jan 25, 2017
Okies
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Skywalker5(m): 8:54am On Jan 25, 2017
System Engineer is too generic. Some IT engineers are called system engineers and some electrical engineers are called system engineers.It depends on what you will be doing at the company. You'll need to explain the job role if you really need help preparing for interview as they will test your technical skills.

General rule. Find out information about the company and what they expect from you technically.which skills they want.
Find out if there is someone already in the same role as you applied for. Check their linkedin profile to see the skills. That will give you a clearer view of what's expected.
Remember, you have to tailor your interview to what they want. You don't have to boast about skills they don't need. Just the ones the company needs and sell it well

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Chukwumeremeze(m): 8:58am On Jan 25, 2017
Lifeis247:
As a Systems Engineer in most org. you are expected to understand the following;
- Know the difference between a public/private IP addresses and Understand IP subnets.
- Understand different server architecture and server roles (i.e DNS servers/web servers/application servers)
- Most importantly, try to know what network structures they have in place i.e brand/type of server and OS. if they use linux, make sure you know bit of it. u should be comfortable with Microsoft server OS, VM ware, Hypervisor.
- Know about video editing applications (especially the one they use)/know about graphic cards

..My brother its a load of this and that, but the above knowledge should give you confidence to look into their eyes and talk your own.

Wish u luck.

You said it all bro..

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 25, 2017
spoilerx:

job description should help

Thanks bro. I will check for d job description
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 25, 2017
jd1986:

What is DHCP?
What is PING?

Thanks bro
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 25, 2017
Skywalker5:
System Engineer is too generic. Some IT engineers are called system engineers and some electrical engineers are called system engineers.It depends on what you will be doing at the company. You'll need to explain the job role if you really need help preparing for interview as they will test your technical skills.

General rule. Find out information about the company and what they expect from you technically.which skills they want.
Find out if there is someone already in the same role as you applied for. Check their linkedin profile to see the skills. That will give you a clearer view of what's expected.
Remember, you have to tailor your interview to what they want. You don't have to boast about skills they don't need. Just the ones the company needs and sell it well

Thanks bro
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 25, 2017
Lifeis247:

Wish u luck.

Thanks bro
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 25, 2017
geekybabe:
Do you know the job description? Can you defend any questions asked about the job?

Its supposed to be a technical role. Expect something technical and not just focus on this bizarre HR questions.

My advice. IF you dont know much about the job practically, then do a solid research and read. There might be a practical technical interview but most Nigerian companies hardly do that. They are too busy focusing on 'where do you see yourself in the next 5 years'.

Package your research with good confidence and loosen up. Make up your mind to get the job. Be vocal, never show any signs of being timid or weak. Make a very good impression.

Thank you very much
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 25, 2017
MistaBabz:
Expect HR standard questions bro. For example;
1. Tell me about yourself? (most frequent first question in all interviews)
2. Why should we hire you? (frequently asked)
3. What are your weaknesses?
4. What are your strengths?
5. What do you know about this company?
(you have to read & their history, what they do & if possible know their top managers - linkedin.com will help here)
6. What is your salary expectation?
7. Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
8. How do you work under pressure?
9. How did your education prepared you for your career?

NB: They want to see your CONFIDENCE, Attitude is Everything, prove to them that you have what it takes to do the job, most importantly maintain eye contact & speak clearly. Be precise & clear in your answers.

All the best bro

Well done mate. U really opened my eye in d hr direction
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 25, 2017
DBriteLitehouse:
Though I am not into System Engineering.

My little advice is :

1. Dress smart
2. Do a little research about the company
3. Just have a basic knowledge of the function of a system engineer in a digital tv station---know the basic working principle of broadcasting,the hardwares operation.
4. Just be calm during the interview
5. And make sure you ask your interviewer question on how the company operates,this shows you are interested in the company.

I wish you all the best.

That's nice
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 25, 2017
ayoolanr:
Is the job in Nigeria? If not, just go on Google and type in systems engineering interview questions + the company name. If its in Nigeria, then I don't know....

Thanks
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by serverconnect(m): 9:25am On Jan 25, 2017
Start from the least. Hope you know how to crimp network cables? How to configure Network(either Lan or wireless). Configuration of active directory users and computers. Know your DHCP and IP addresses. God will help you.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 25, 2017
op is google offline?
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by scantee(m): 10:29am On Jan 25, 2017
jd1986:

What is DHCP?
What is PING?

Bro is system Engineer not Network Administrator
Re: Please Help Me Prepare For An Interview For A System's Engr Post. by scantee(m): 10:40am On Jan 25, 2017
@Op if your going for technical interview/ a chat expect some basic questions like these.

1. Different between SATA/IDE?

2. How do you create system restore point and automatic backup on daily basis?

3. What do you understand by BIOS and how do you upgraded an outdated system bios?.

4. What do you understand by ATA, Legacy, etc

5. How do you create administrative order in a system with multiple users account?

6. How do create daily system policy?

7 what are the best ways to prevent virus?

8. How van you install and manage IDS manually?

9 What is the differentiate these files systems NTFS, FAT, and FAT32

10. Which folder is refers as executable folder of an operating system?

11. How can retrieve files from a system after installing new windows?

My dear, the questions are versatile, if your really system Engr I don't think you have anything to worry about because you must be very conversant with the systems and terms.

Best of luck

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stanbic Ibtc Test / Monthly Salary Of CONRAISS Officer, Level 9 Step 2 / Workforce Management Centre Job. Urgent!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.