Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? (1582 Views)

Best FREE CV Formats To Make You Stand Out To Employers / 4 Tips That Will Make Your Resume More Interesting To Employers / Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by kvolander: 5:09pm On Nov 12, 2010
Hello everyone

Please, I need your advice on an issue. A number of job opportunities have bypassed me because of my age. I'm 30, got a Bachelors and Masters(foreign) but without experience.

The problem now is that I can't change my age because I've got it on my passports with valid visas which carries my DOB. Changing of passports can also not be the way out since I may be asked to produce the passports I used when I went for my MSc.
I graduated two years ago, came back this year but still without any job.

The other problem is my lack of experience in the field I studied. The two years after my MSc were spent on a semi-skilled area which isn't related to where I studied.

So my question and where I need your advice are:

How can I avoid revealing my age to the employers?
Since no relevant experience in my area of study, what do you advise? Coz I'm really getting frustrated o

pLEASE, I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE POLITE COMMENTS ONLY. IN THE NAME OF GOD ALMIGHTY, PLEASE, DON'T SAY ANYTHING RUDE, INSTEAD READ AND MOVE ON.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE.
Re: How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by maclatunji: 6:10pm On Nov 13, 2010
I feel your pain. Do not try to hide your age, it is an asset not a liability. Apply for positions whose conditions you qualify for. With your qualification you can become a lecturer at least in a study centre, plus try to start a business, if you do not know how to go about it call me on 08085404500 or e-mail: olatuson@gmail.com
Re: How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 13, 2010
GOOD DAY.

YOUR SITUATION IS NOT A PROBLEM

THERE ARE SOME JOBS YOU MAY APPLY FOR WITHOUT STATING YOUR MSC (IF NOT REQUIRED).SOME EMPLOYERS DONT LIKE APPLICANT WITH WHITE MAN PAPER.

SOME JOBS REQUIRED APPLICANT ABOVE 30YRS.LIKE LECTURING,

YOUR CAN ALSO DROP UNSOLICITED CV

ABOVE ALL.WATCH AND PRAY.GOD IS BIGGER THAN ALL SITUATION
Re: How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by gkbiz2(m): 12:06pm On Nov 14, 2010
I'm in the situation like you.I lost several jobs.Now I got a job with internal connection.You should do the same.Just get connected.
Re: How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by dexmond: 1:01pm On Nov 14, 2010
I feel your pain. Do not try to hide your age, it is an asset not a liability. Apply for positions whose conditions you qualify for. With your qualification you can become a lecturer at least in a study centre, plus try to start a business, if you do not know how to go about it call me on 08085404500 or e-mail: olatuson@gmail.com

What an individual!
Re: How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by sisiafrika(f): 7:22am On Sep 20, 2015
gkbiz2:
I'm in the situation like you.I lost several jobs due to my age(I left poly at age of 32 with HND,I'm now 40):GTB,etc.

Now I got a job with internal connection.You should do the same.Just get connected.
hi, wt do u mean by ur signature. Thanks in anticipation
Re: How Can I Avoid Revealing My Age To Employers? by Gherrokid(m): 1:01pm On Sep 20, 2015
@ OP, I feel your pain.But I can confirm to you that there's hope!
Some adverts don't specify age limit. When applying for such vacancies, do not include any of your personal details on your CV (sex, age, or status). Actually some forward-thinking organizations don't even care about such personal details, they are more interested in what you've got to offer.
You can still apply for jobs in which age limit has been specified in the adverts, but that can only be easier if the mode of application is by sending CVs via email (since you personal details won't be on your CV). With divine favour, you could be shortlisted based on your qualification and skills as highlighted on your CV.
Just make sure your CV is professionally written, you can even pay to CV professionals to write it for you. Or you download free CV templates online and follow the pattern.
The most important thing that will help you secure a job is PRAYERs, PRAYERss, and PRAYERsss! With God all things are possible. Pray to the Lord for divine favour, mercies and grace in your search.

What courses did you study?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hospita Job Vacancy:nurses And Midwife / Bristow Group Calling / Belloxi Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.