Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan (5666 Views)

I Cant Eat Without Excess Pepper In My Food. Why? / Come & Join Me Is Now A Problem: My Friend Will Sit & Finish My Food For Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 11:32am On Oct 30, 2019
10 Likes and I'd start my memoir...

typing....

19 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MariaAngeles: 2:29pm On Oct 30, 2019
Wuzyurdaddy:

typing....
You're in Sudan ?
It should be interesting...

By the way, I need your like and comment on this : https://www.instagram.com/p/B4PK9ThFotF/?igshid=hyt5fcng0ryl

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 2:37pm On Oct 30, 2019
MariaAngeles:

You're in Sudan ?
It should be interesting...

By the way, I need your like and comment on this : https://www.instagram.com/p/B4PK9ThFotF/?igshid=hyt5fcng0ryl

Done.

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MariaAngeles: 2:53pm On Oct 30, 2019
Wuzyurdaddy:

Done.
Thank you very much

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by okirewaju(f): 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2019
Waiting till it gets to 10

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2019
okirewaju:
Waiting till it gets to 10

Me too
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2019
MariaAngeles:

Thank you very much

No sweat
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MrBONE2(m): 8:23am On Oct 31, 2019
Waiting mode activated grin

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 10:41am On Oct 31, 2019
MrBONE2:
Waiting mode activated grin

My thumbs are itching

... grin
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MariaAngeles: 11:56am On Oct 31, 2019
Wuzyurdaddy:

My thumbs are itching

... grin
How about you start...the likes will come later embarassed

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 6:55am On Nov 01, 2019
MariaAngeles:

How about you start...the likes will come later embarassed

It's almost complete.

Patience, my lady..
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by IamR: 10:42am On Nov 01, 2019
Start jor. Don't waste my precious like.

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2019
Wuzyurdaddy:

typing....

10 is the number, before I start I'd love to start for the purpose of clarity that I'm no longer in

Sudan or its environs.

This is just a memoir..

I couldn't cope with the weather which was always sunny and above 35 degrees even in the evening.

Let's begin..

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2019
IamR:
Start jor. Don't waste my precious like.

Yes boss
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 1:57pm On Nov 01, 2019
On arrival at Khartoum International Airport, Sudan I was greeted by my Nigerian mates residing there and the first thing I said to 'KC' was 'guy abeg I dey H', any naija restaurant around here'.

He laughed and said 'O boy not even one oh' deep down I was like WTF? How will I survive these months here.

I just shrugged it off and said to myself that their food can't be that bad.

If only I knew how wrong I was.

On getting to the hotel I had a very long shower due to the fact that everywhere in Sudan has this funny windy and at the same time very sunny weather......

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 2:18pm On Nov 01, 2019
After the shower I went to their quarters to mingle and get acquainted with the Naija dudes living in Sudan.

Along the line I brought up the food issue again and 'Mike' was like 'na tru oh, make we go stroll first '.

Just down the road from the hotel we came across this BBQ spot but it was nothing like our own here.

I had to pass kuz* the meats were looking very strange and I had this phobia for eating strange meats.

So we came across this sweet smelling Bread shop.

They call the bread Kisra, overtime it has become the main dish in central Sudan.

It's the main staple of the Sudanese people.

Kisra is basically a type of bread, that is made from corn. It is accompanied with a stew.

The stew is prepared from dried meat, dried onions, spices, and peanut butter.

Milk and yogurt are also added for flavor...

Here's the funny thing about this bread, once you open it from the pack you have to finish it because it gets very strong after some minutes /hours and unconsumable.

6 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by IamR: 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2019
Nice one, OP!

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 3:12pm On Nov 01, 2019
IamR:
Nice one, OP!

Much appreciated @IamR, now let's get back to it.

After consuming some slices of Kisra with a bottle of Sprite, I had me a long sleep because even God rested when his creations were made...

The next day I woke up very hungry and early too, I didn't want to disturb my mates in the next room so I decided to follow the path we took for the stroll the previous day.

It took me a long time to come across this shop/restaurant kuz* most of the shops didn't display their wares like we do here.

You have to enter the shop to know what they are selling, so I smelt meat at this very shop and decided to check it out.

Behold I was wowed with this dish of
Umfitit, It's an appetizer that is served in Sudan.
The main ingredients of Umfitit are sheep lungs, liver and stomach.

Apart from sheep lungs, liver and stomach, peanut butter, onion, and salt are also added all to be eaten raw.

Peanuts play a crucial role in the Sudanese kitchen, they are a must ingredient for any Sudanese food.

They are responsible for providing taste, texture, and flavor to the dish.

Brethren that was how I ended up eating raw onions, basil leave and what not..hunger bad I tell you but man must wack*

7 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by felixjet(m): 5:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
following
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2019
felixjet:
following

I have this very strong system that accepts any type of food but after I had Umfitit, mehn na so* toilet begin dey call my name.

My advice to you out there is this, when you're not sure of the food you have before you, always eat in small portions/amount.

I learn the hard way grin

On my way back to the hotel I came across this figs and dates shop.

Back in Naija I wasn't big on dates but in Sudan it was a big deal.

They said it gave them energy for Sex, that is it's a Sex enhancing fruit.

I was intrigued, so I bought a much as I could get for myself and the squad.

We later found out that it not only was a Sex enhancement fruit it also gave us energy.

Till this day brethren, I can say that I'm a big fan of dates that I used to hate.

5 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 5:53pm On Nov 01, 2019
If ever you're in Sudan, I'll recommend this dish of Semolina or rather Sweetened semolina aka kuindiong.

It's a traditional dessert prepared by a particular tribe in South Sudan and Sudan alike.

The main ingredients I gathered of kuindiong are yogurt, milk, semolina, sugar, and butter.

Trust me, it taster better than it looks.

I was hooked on to this meal for weeks before I switched on to the next one.

At this juncture, I'll add this, please always travel with Ijebu Garri and G/nut for the sunny days grin

8 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MariaAngeles: 6:29pm On Nov 01, 2019
Op, you're a very good writer and a storyteller.
It's even more interesting because you added pictures .
Can't wait for updates... smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2019
MariaAngeles:
Op, you're a very good writer and a storyteller.
It's even more interesting because you added pictures .
Can't wait for updates... smiley

Coming from you ma'am I'm humbled, your updates in the other room gets me drinking water out of long throat, now let's get back to it.

There was a day I wasn't with enough cash, I summoned courage and reached out to Umar, the hotel cook.

He reacted much more than I expected with kindness rather than rebuke, he just told me to wait for some minutes that the kitchen was full with people.

That was how I waited and waited and waited only to be awoken with a knock on my door.

I opened there stood Umar smiling with a bundle in his hands, I asked him what the strange dish he had was.

He said that it was Moukhbaza or something like that, that it's made up of banana paste or mashed bananas.

Milk and dairy products are an essential part of the food, brethren I must say thjs, never judge a meal by its appearance.

I had myself a good one with this dish, even though that night my toilet experience was one kain* but hey I enjoyed Mouhkbaza grin

7 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Mariangeles(f): 7:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
Wuzyurdaddy:

Much appreciated @IamR, now let's get back to it.

After consuming some slices of Kisra with a bottle of Sprite, I had me a long sleep because even God rested when his creations were made...

The next day I woke up very hungry and early too, I didn't want to disturb my mates in the next room so I decided to follow the path we took for the stroll the previous day.

It took me a long time to come across this shop/restaurant kuz* most of the shops didn't display their wares like we do here.

You have to enter the shop to know what they are selling, so I smelt meat at this very shop and decided to check it out.

Behold I was wowed with this dish of
Umfitit, It's an appetizer that is served in Sudan.
The main ingredients of Umfitit are sheep lungs, liver and stomach.

Apart from sheep lungs, liver and stomach, peanut butter, onion, and salt are also added all to be eaten raw.

Peanuts play a crucial role in the Sudanese kitchen, they are a must ingredient for any Sudanese food.

They are responsible for providing taste, texture, and flavor to the dish.

Brethren that was how I ended up eating raw onions, basil leave and what not..hunger bad I tell you but man must wack*

I actually like the look of umfitit

It looks like a Togolese and Benin republic cuisine...they accompany their dishes with lots of fresh onions, tomatoes with pepper
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by okirewaju(f): 7:06am On Nov 02, 2019
From all you have posted, I think its the Kisra I can try willingly.

I'm not adventurous with food especially funny looking ones.

Enjoying the thread and learning at the same time
Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 02, 2019
Why are all these pictures from Google, OP?

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MariaAngeles: 8:00am On Nov 02, 2019
theButterfly:
It doesn't matter...as long as we get to see the food he's talking about

I wouldn't enjoy the thread as much if there were no pictures to show...

@Op, more updates please

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 02, 2019
It does matter. Posting food photos from different Google websites shows lack of credibility. He should post actual photos of these foods from this so-called journey in Sudan, that is, if he's not making up the story

MariaAngeles:

It doesn't matter...as long as we get to see the food he's talking about

I wouldn't enjoy the thread as much if there were no pictures to show...

@Op, more updates please

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by MariaAngeles: 8:29am On Nov 02, 2019
theButterfly:
It does matter. Posting food photos from different Google websites shows lack of credibility. He should post actual photos of these foods from this so-called journey in Sudan, that is, if he's not making up the story.

OK.
He should give credits at least...and I don't think he's making up stories...it's not like there's anything to gain by it

I enjoy reading stories like this...

1 Like

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by IamR: 9:05am On Nov 02, 2019
theButterfly:
OP, why can't you upload the real pictures instead of picking from Google? Abi na made up stories you dey tell here?

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by nlPoster: 9:05am On Nov 02, 2019
I was surprised to see the pictures on google.

2 Likes

Re: My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan by Wuzyurdaddy(m): 9:40am On Nov 02, 2019
The photos I took of each meal aren't on this my current phone so I decided to improvise via it he Web.

And I appreciate the fact that y'all took time out to do research on the meals aforementioned.

I appreciate you all, now let's get back to it.

There was this Sunday during Ramadan, we were just hanging out at the rooftop.

This was towards evening or so, when they were about to break their fast.

You needed to see the level of organisation in making sure they all ate together, we were wowed and decided to go have a stroll around the hood.

After many requests to come and join them break fast, we came upon this mosque.

I will say it's the extreme neatness of these lots that made us finally succumb to their requests.

So myself, 'KC and Mike' sat down on the mats already laid out outside the mosque.

We were given water to wash our hands kuz* they rarely use cutleries to eat, that was how
we came across this next dish of Aseedah.

Aseedah is the Sudanese version of polenta and is usually served with tasty tomato sauce called mullah or so.

This is a form of porridge, which is served on all special occasions in Sudanese households. It is nutritious and filling because it is prepared from flour and water.

It is prepared and served during. the month of Ramadan according to the locals, wedding celebrations, Fridays, and other religious holidays. grin

PS: @mariangeles thanks for being a good sport. <3 <3

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls I Need A Person That Will Teach Me How To Cook Concortion Rice / Egusi Stew Recipe Please? / 15 Pictures You’ll Recognize If You’ve Ever Stepped Into A Nigerian Kitchen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.