Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

John Witherspoon(Boondocks), Friday Actor And Comedian, Dies Aged 77 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / John Witherspoon(Boondocks), Friday Actor And Comedian, Dies Aged 77 (646 Views)

Kim Kardashian Dresses Up As Reese Witherspoon's Character For Halloween / John Witherspoon Is Dead / D"banj And Comedian Lasisi Elenu Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Witherspoon(Boondocks), Friday Actor And Comedian, Dies Aged 77 by Inception(m): 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2019
John Witherspoon, Friday actor and comedian, dies aged 77
The versatile actor and comic, who played Ice Cube’s father in the comedy franchise, has died in Los Angeles

Associated Press

Wed 30 Oct 2019 10.58 GMT

John Witherspoon.
John Witherspoon. Photograph: Fred Prouser/Reuters
Actor-comedian John Witherspoon, who memorably played Ice Cube’s father in the Friday films, has died. He was 77. His manager Alex Goodman confirmed that Witherspoon died in Los Angeles. No cause of death was released.

The actor had a prolific career, co-starring in three Friday films, appearing on The Wayans Bros television series and voicing the grandfather in The Boondocks animated series. His film roles included Vampire in Brooklyn and Boomerang, and he was a frequent guest on Late Show with David Letterman.

For many, his most recognisable role was Pops, Ice Cube’s father in the stoner comedy Friday and its two sequels, playing a crude but affectionate father trying to guide his son to be better.

“Life won’t be as funny without him,” Ice Cube said in a Twitter post, adding that he was devastated by news of Witherspoon’s death.

Regina King, who appeared as Witherspoon’s daughter in Friday and also voiced both of his grandsons in the animated series The Boondocks, called him her “comedic inspiration” on Twitter.

Goodman referred to a family statement issued to Deadline that said the family was in shock over Witherspoon’s death. The statement says Witherspoon, who was born on 27 January, 1942, is survived by his wife, Angela, and sons JD and Alexander.

JD Witherspoon tweeted that he was happy for all the great times he and his dad had together. “We’d roast each other like homies more than Father & Son, and I really liked that. He was my best friend & my idol. Love U Dad … I’ll miss u.”

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/oct/30/friday-star-john-witherspoon-dies-aged-77-ice-cube

Re: John Witherspoon(Boondocks), Friday Actor And Comedian, Dies Aged 77 by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2019
IMHO his best role was Robert Jebediah Freeman... what a great actor.

1 Like

Re: John Witherspoon(Boondocks), Friday Actor And Comedian, Dies Aged 77 by AmNotDrunk(m): 10:21pm On Oct 30, 2019
So heartbroken reading about this man's demise,

Rip pops
Re: John Witherspoon(Boondocks), Friday Actor And Comedian, Dies Aged 77 by AmNotDrunk(m): 10:27pm On Oct 30, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
IMHO his best role was Robert Jebediah Freeman... what a great actor.

Yeah you are right.

And to think that I watched some episodes today....

Rip old niggarr

(1) (Reply)

There’s No Such Thing As Holy Bible – Daddy Freeze / Shocking Untold Story and 10 Facts about Genevieve Nnaji (revealed) / Beyoncé’s 7-year-old Daughter Blue Ivy Just Won Her First Songwriting Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.