Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades (55392 Views)

Masquerades Flog Nigerian Nurse Mercilessly, She Falls Into Gutter (Video) / 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by chumaster(m): 10:34pm On Mar 18, 2020
Emescot:

In my town,we have a masquerade called Oganigwe, it is said that no one has ever seen it except for initiates and it comes out at night too and mostly during burials of high classed chiefs, you cannot see it not to talk of snapping it, and it's vibrations shakes buildings from a very long distance, my father once told me how it ordered a palm tree to pursue a man hiding from it in the bush, and indeed it happened. I really miss all that
Are you from Ikenga?
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by AtaniWarrior: 2:59am On Mar 19, 2020
Great posts. Thank you for sharing. Very rich culture.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Emescot(m): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2020
chumaster:
Are you from Ikenga?
Yes Sir... Ezi village precisely, you know the masquerade?
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by chumaster(m): 9:23pm On Mar 20, 2020
Emescot:

Yes Sir... Ezi village precisely, you know the masquerade?
grin it is called Oganigwe. But I doubt if it is still active like before
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Emescot(m): 8:21am On Mar 21, 2020
chumaster:
grin it is called Oganigwe. But I doubt if it is still active like before
Oh okay, where in Ikenga are you from
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by chumaster(m): 11:52am On Mar 22, 2020
Emescot:

Oh okay, where in Ikenga are you from
I have visited there twice on burial ocassions. The masquerades came there in the night. We were told not to peep from the window or else you die.
grin
I was like, what is the essence of them performing when nobody should watch it.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Nathandics: 10:39am On Oct 25, 2020
This is Achukwu ekwulobia in Aguata

This picture looks alot like my village in aguata[/quote]
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by IDENNAA(m): 6:14pm On Oct 27, 2020
BrownRoofRep:

Come on bro, Adamma is a child masquerade, slightly above ulaga that should not be mentioned anywhere near Ijele.
Meanwhile, Ojionu is far better dancer than Adamma.

That said, Ayaka is the most respected Igbo masquerade but I believe it's mentioned here because it is not mainstream, can't be seen and won't perform in the public, only at night and in a very special occasions, usually once a year.

Ijele , Agaba which originated from Igba akwunechenyi , Okwomma/Odogwu agwu/Akataka/Ayaka/Ogbasu are some of my favourites.

By the way , Ijele is purely an Anambra masquerade, especially Nri/Awka areas, precisely. Southern parts of Anambra are not too familiar with Ijele and Agaba Iduu.

By the way , Umuoji featured the Agaba that brought glory to Anambra at the cultural festival at Abuja.
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by DropsMic(m): 10:13pm On Oct 27, 2020
Shelloween:
In Igbo culture, the masquerade (Mmanwu) embodies the spirit and human worlds. The mystique surrounding the masquerade is one of the key components of the Igbo culture that survived Western influences,

It is generally believed in the Igboland that the masquerade is a spirit which springs from the soil. The masquerades are classified into categories based on specialization. Each masquerade possesses particular attributes (warrior-like prowess, mystical powers, youthfulness, and old age) and specializes in one or more skills (dancing skills, acrobatics, and other ritual manifestations).

Masquerading may involve one person team or a team made up of instrument players, vocalists, dancers, masquerade advisers, and the masquerade itself. Most masquerades are covered from head to toe with some piece of clothing or/and bamboo rafters, a wooden mask is worn over the face. The mask will vary depending on the type of masquerade and the place of origin within the Igboland. Some masks are designed to be beautiful, intimidating or downright sinister. Most masquerades claim to have some mystical powers and are constantly competing to see which one has the most mystical powers, whenever they appear together especially at village squares or funerals. The masquerade appears during traditional celebrations, funerals and festivals especially the new yam festival.

Below are the Top 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades

1. Ijele Masquerade

Ijele is a special and most popular Igbo masquerade and the largest mask system ever to enter the history of the world masking tradition. Ijele has its origin from the norther part of Igbo land (Anambra and Enugu State, Nigeria). known as the biggest Masquerade in Sub-Saharan Africa, Ijele was listed in the UNESCO Archives as an intangible cultural element in need of urgent safeguarding.

Ijele masquerade is the King of all Masquerades and as such has 45 different other masquerades perform on top of it in the olden days. Presently, the 45 masquerades are represented by the 45 figurines seen on top of Ijele. The myth and size of Ijele is wholesome as every aspect of life is depicted on Ijele. It is the climax of all masquerades hence performs alone and mostly last.

Hello... Permission to repost this on my website?...

1 Like

Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by Shelloween(m): 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2020
DropsMic:

Hello... Permission to repost this on my website?...
Sure
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by DropsMic(m): 5:46pm On Nov 06, 2020
Shelloween:
Sure
Thanks
Re: 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades by TA4TA4: 5:20pm On Jun 08, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFPgAZN9Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8vHw6Cj8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3SfRRFvVaI

Chai.... I am always excited when masquerade festival in my village is fast approaching.... Indeed culture is sweet

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife's Wife Stepped On "Osùn", Not Blood / Queen Ajoke Badirat Adeyemi Celebrates Her 28th Birthday With Beautiful Photos / The Rolls Royce Ooni Ogunwusi Visited Ekiti With (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.