Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,660 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

The Boer War - Causes And Consequences - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Boer War - Causes And Consequences (696 Views)

Sudan War: Causes Of Conflict In Sudanese Capital Explained / Russia Will Bear The Consequences: Biden introduces more sanctions / Putin Warns US, NATO Not To Interfere Or Face Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by ElectorAlexande: 1:24am On Nov 04, 2019
The Boer War, from 1899 to 1902, was a conflict between Great Britain and the Boers, or Dutch settlers, in South Africa. The Boers were mostly farmers who had settled as early as the 18th century in South Africa. The British wanted to unify their Cape Colony and Natal colonies and the Boer republics of the Orange Free State and the South African Republic.

The discovery of gold in Transvaal in 1886 led more English settlers to South Africa. These new settlers, called Uitlanders by the Boers, raised Boer concerns over the possible loss of valuable farmland to the English, who were predominantly interested in........

Continue reading @ https://www.historicalville.com/2019/11/the-boer-war-cause-and-consequences.html?m=1

1 Share

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 6:03pm On Nov 04, 2019
And where was black South Africans when all this was going on, what exactly where they doing during this time.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by dermmy(m): 8:13pm On Nov 04, 2019
letu:
And where was black South Africans when all this was going on, what exactly where they doing during this time.

They fought and resisted the invaders with their assegai but the invaders prevailed because of thier powerful arms. The Zulus were great warriors they weren't lazy.

2 Likes

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 05, 2019
letu:

It was all a series of war everywhere you turned back then. Roughly 20 years before in 1879, the British had faced off against the Zulus in what is now known to historians as the Anglo-Zulu War. The British won that war after like 5 months. Yeah, I must not forget to add that the Zulus won the first battle of that war, handing the British their worst defeat from a native population at the Battle of Isandlwana.

The blacks weren't just sitting on their butts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by mysticwarrior(m): 10:23am On Nov 05, 2019
letu:
the xenophobic cowards couldn't even whisper a sound as foreigners fought to claim their lands.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by HarryDuce(m): 1:21pm On Nov 05, 2019
letu:
How many African kingdoms can boast of resisting the British (and Europeans at large) in colonial Africa? Very few. Regardless of present events (well not really), the Zulus will always be remembered as one of them.

3 Likes

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by nlPoster: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2019
letu:

Same place Nigerians were at that time.

Can you name one war won by indigenous Nigerian peoples during the period in question and especially during colonization?

The rules of engagement were more advanced, native peoples were not prepared or equipped for it, and there was also a lot of infighting, all these should be considered.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by nlPoster: 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2019
@ topic

We dont know much about other countries besides Nigeria, the little African history we are aware of is mostly the ancient west African empires- Songhai, etc. We know of a few major rivers in Africa because we used to sing about them. Otherwise, we're very unfamiliar with everything else.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 1:53pm On Nov 06, 2019
nlPoster:

Same place Nigerians were at that time.

Can you name one war won by indigenous Nigerian peoples during the period in question and especially during colonization?

The rules of engagement were more advanced, native peoples were not prepared or equipped for it, and there was also a lot of infighting, all these should be considered.
Sorry I don't know what you have in mind by saying same place, I can tell this I'm from Eastern Nigeria ( Biafra ) an area in East know as NGWA(Igbo) in this very time line your referring to, my Ancestors fought those crazy Albino white Blondie British and their Brian wash blackermoor fighters in which my Ancestors gave them one hell of a bloody nose and they always run back to the land of some African indigenous allied to regroup and come back in which my Ancestors will still give them the same bloody nose grin
It appears that the Africa/ colonial history you know are those ones written by white Europeans, try and read those written by Africans.
This is only one area in Eastern Nigeria while other areas have their own story to tell concerning on how their own Ancestors gave them bloody nose, that these white Albino Eurocentric writer's choose to ignore this part of their history tell's allot stories.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 2:11pm On Nov 06, 2019
HarryDuce:
How many African kingdoms can boast of resisting the British (and Europeans at large) in colonial Africa? Very few. Regardless of present events (well not really), the Zulus will always be remembered as one of them.
Well Mr white South African I can boast for my Ancestors because I know my history.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 2:19pm On Nov 06, 2019
nlPoster:
@ topic

I NIPOSTER, dont know much about other countries besides Nigeria, the little African history I'm aware of is mostly the ancient west African empires- Songhai, etc.i know of a few major rivers in Africa because i used to sing about them. Otherwise, I'm very unfamiliar with everything else.

Next time learn how to mind your own business Rubbish.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 2:25pm On Nov 06, 2019
mansakhalifa:

It was all a series of war everywhere you turned back then. Roughly 20 years before in 1879, the British had faced off against the Zulus in what is now known to historians as the Anglo-Zulu War. The British won that war after like 5 months. Yeah, I must not forget to add that the Zulus won the first battle of that war, handing the British their worst defeat from a native population at the Battle of Isandlwana.

The blacks weren't just sitting on their butts.
okay
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 2:36pm On Nov 06, 2019
mysticwarrior:
the xenophobic cowards couldn't even whisper a sound as foreigners fought to claim their lands.
Woohoo, this explains the Stockholm syndrome's symptoms they keep displaying inform of xenophobic by attacking only other Africans(Black's) in South Afrca in which they choose to LOVE/IGNORE WHITES.

1 Like

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 2:44pm On Nov 06, 2019
dermmy:

They fought and resisted the invaders with their assegai but the invaders prevailed because of thier powerful arms. The Zulus were great warriors they weren't lazy.
okay.

1 Like

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by letu(m): 2:47pm On Nov 06, 2019
mysticwarrior:
grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin cheesy grin
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by nlPoster: 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2019
letu:

Next time I can learn how to mind my own business Rubbish.

Hello there!

The user id is NLPOSTER not NIPOSTER, thanks as you take note!

NIPOST refers to the Nigerian Postal Service as you are aware!

NLPOSTER means NAIRALANDPOSTER, my id which was changed to NLPOSTER by the site admin for reasons unknown!

Please do not tag me in any scams!
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by nlPoster: 8:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
letu:
Well Mr I can boast for my Ancestors because I know my history.

And you feel others dont know your history better than you?

Adiot.
Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by thundafire: 8:44pm On Nov 06, 2019
mysticwarrior:
lol they were busy

Re: The Boer War - Causes And Consequences by mysticwarrior(m): 5:07pm On Nov 07, 2019
HarryDuce:
my friend we made life unbearable for the whites and forced them to leave our lands, there is no place in west Africa where white descendants from colonial era are still setlling.

We used our brain and send them back to Europe, but the same cannot be said for black south Africans, the whites came took your lands, subjected you to slavery, raped and disgraced your women, and stayed permanently in your land, even as we speak there are still places where black south Africans can't go to in South Africa, my question is why don't you channel your xenophobic characters to the the same whites who committed all these terrible atrocities against you people?

(1) (Reply)

Iran-US Tensions: Africans Should Quit Discussing International Politics if... / Eight Killed In Strike Attributed To Israel On Iranian-backed Militia In Syria / Russia To Fine Seven Social Media Platforms Over Youth Protests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.