Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,309 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? (2044 Views)

FaZe Censor & Yanet Garcia Break Up So He Could Focus More On Video Games / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) / GTA V Is The Highest Selling Piece Of Entertainment In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 9:23am On Nov 04, 2019
Or at least that's what people think...
That to me is entertainment-ism and being unreasonably selfish for no good reason.
Africans especially, regard video games as a waste of time and/or for kids but, see spending the whole day on their phones and/or watching movies or some stupid cliched TV series as a form of entertainment.
Is it that People are just holding a stereotypical view on video gaming without even knowing what it really is?
I think people are just being thoughtless. I know people are generally lazy to think but, people should be more educated, reasonable and considerate of other forms of entertainment than their closed-minded brain allows them to explore.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by DaveHert(m): 9:43am On Nov 04, 2019
It's a simple matter of misconception. When the average Nigerian hears the word "Video Games" they automatically associate a childish first generation video game they might have come across while growing up, and that usually puts them off.

Until recently, I had these group of friends who when I made mention of buying a PS4 for as high as 100k made fun of the idea, believing that video games were for kids and a total waste of time and money. I had to borrow a PS4 from a friend and had them watch me play The Last of Us, Spiderman, God of War and FIFA 19, after a while they were all eager to try it out. I had to pry it out of their hands just to return it.

They later confessed that they didn't realize just how realistic it looked and how engrossing it was to play a current generation game. So it all boils down to people's misconception.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Oluwasaeon(m): 9:45am On Nov 04, 2019
It's not a waste of time to that boy that won $1m on PUBG

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by leokid866: 9:50am On Nov 04, 2019
Video games are a good way to train in eye-hand coordination. A skill that can be transferred and used in other areas of a person's life.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 9:54am On Nov 04, 2019
DaveHert:
It's a simple matter of misconception. When the average Nigerian hears the word "Video Games" they automatically associate a childish first generation video game they might have come across while growing up, and that usually puts them off.

Until recently, I had these group of friends who when I made mention of buying a PS4 for as high as 100k made fun of the idea, believing that video games were for kids and a total waste of time and money. I had to borrow a PS4 from a friend and had them watch me play The Last of Us, Spiderman, God of War and FIFA 19, after a while they were all eager to try it out. I had to pry it out of their hands just to return it.

They later confessed that they didn't realize just how realistic it looked and how engrossing it was to play a current generation game. So it all boils down to people's misconception.

Yea, true.
Buying iphone 11 of 500k is okay but, buying 100k PS4 is a problem smfh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 9:58am On Nov 04, 2019
Oluwasaeon:

They would argue that He's not a Nigerian or in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2019
LucemFerre:

They would argue that He's not a Nigerian or in Nigeria
I don't see it as a waste of time at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Michaelcas(m): 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2019
I love gaming

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 1:45pm On Nov 04, 2019
hehe... why won't you?
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Agent2003: 9:09am On Nov 05, 2019
gaming develops your reasoning skills.... I love gaming right from the era of ps1 down to the ps4.. Gaming is my major form of entertainment

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by titigenius: 7:55pm On Nov 28, 2019
Basically it's ignorance. The video game industry rakes in billions of dollars every year. Anyone who thinks it's childish is living in the stone ages. I plan on investing in video games in the future for now I'm learning about it

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Inehmesit: 11:23pm On Nov 28, 2019
PUBG or Fortnite?
Oluwasaeon:
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Oluwasaeon(m): 12:45am On Nov 29, 2019
Inehmesit:
PUBG or Fortnite?
PUBG
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by shogsman(m): 10:04pm On Nov 29, 2019
As an adult with responsibilities I can't do without gaming, I've got a ps1,2,3,4 and a gaming PC ,gaming is my get away from reality.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by shogsman(m): 10:08pm On Nov 29, 2019
Oluwasaeon:

PUBG

The boy that won fortnite got $1,446,000.
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 10:14pm On Nov 29, 2019
shogsman:

Booga, that 16 yo kid won $3 Mil at Fortnite tournament
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 10:16pm On Nov 29, 2019
But money making isn't even the point i'm making. People waste their time doing other stupid forms of entertainment and still have the arrogance to point fingers at gaming as a waste of time

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:27pm On Nov 29, 2019
shogsman:

Imagine
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by shogsman(m): 10:29pm On Nov 29, 2019
LucemFerre:

Booga, that 16 yo kid won $3 Mil at Fortnite tournament
But he lost the TAX game.
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 10:33pm On Nov 29, 2019
shogsman:

But he lost the TAX game.

What's that?
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by shogsman(m): 10:44am On Nov 30, 2019
LucemFerre:

What's that?

He lost most of the money to taxation.
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by mattmogan88: 11:24am On Nov 30, 2019
I love video games more than anything, even I own a video game center

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LucemFerre: 6:30pm On Nov 30, 2019
shogsman:

He lost most of the money to taxation.

Oh... Crazy sh!t. It's funny that the media still don't take e-sports seriously. Even though a single tournament is equivalent to their 3 years' pay.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by shogsman(m): 7:02pm On Nov 30, 2019
LucemFerre:

Oh... Crazy sh!t. It's funny that the media still don't take e-sports seriously. Even though a single tournament is equivalent to their 3 years' pay.
Turo takhasomi has made more than $4m playing video games.
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by LZAA: 8:45am On Dec 01, 2019
Well to be fair gaming now is mad expensive
I also hate all those wack tv shows and silly movies but for 200 and max 1000 u can get it and watch
Even people overseas complain about the high cost of games nowadays
Finally unless you are a dedicated gamer,chances are u will outgrow gaming by the time you hit 30 or at least be a passive gamer i.e fifa with friends or GOW etc
And this is Nigeria where hypocrisy reigns so..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by HyDef(m): 12:31pm On Dec 01, 2019
Just like cartoons, it's one of the forms of entertainment that appeals a lot to children. People then associate it with children, and see an adult watching anime or playing video games as being childish or jobless.
Obviously, there are levels to cartoons and video games, but I guess most folks don't really appreciate that distinction.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by blessedchild234(m): 10:05am On Dec 27, 2019
mattmogan88:
I love video games more than anything, even I own a video game center
pls how can I reach you privately business talkz?
Re: Why Is Playin Video Games A Waste Of Time & Other Forms Of Entertainment Aren't? by mattmogan88: 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2019
Send me an email

(1) (Reply)

I Have Until Dawn, Give Me Mad Max In Exchange / SEE The PUZZLE Trending On FACEBOOK / Whats The Best Mobile Game You Have Ever Played?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.