Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? (3820 Views)

Nigerian Woman In Trouble For Battering Indian Lover (photo) / Missing Pregnant Woman In Abuja Found (See Photos) / 107 Year Old Man Weds 95 Year Old Woman In Plateau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 12:50am On Nov 15, 2010
Traditionally, it's father's responsibility to give out the bride in marriage. That cements his status as the Head of the family. If the man is deceased, then another male family member would take on that role. Nowadays, I have noticed a trend whereby, both parents have choosen to walk the lady down the aisle to her new husband. Its a bit dramatic if the girl unfortunately comes from a broken home and each of her parents have remarried. I have read of 'dilema's' presented by some of them on who should walk them down the aile. They would mention their devotion to their biological father and an attachment to their stepfather. And the reply would be that both should alternate the role, stop at midway, and let the other proceed to the altar.

Another trend is when parents both walk her down the aile and formally give her out to the marriage. Would you support that? I am not being judgemental, and though I consider myself 'enlightened' on various norms, there are certain traditions that I hold unto dearly. That itself is an exclusive honor meant for me as the head of the family.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by r231(m): 2:01am On Nov 15, 2010
brb
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Nobody: 4:04am On Nov 15, 2010
What if the father is dead? For me as long as I'm marrying the man of my dreams, doesn't matter anyone can walk me down the aisle. (even my little brother)
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 1:00pm On Nov 15, 2010
rokiatu:

What if the father is dead? For me as long as I'm marrying the man of my dreams, doesn't matter anyone can walk me down the aisle. (even my little brother)

Look, this is not right.

Please don't put pressure on me.

Stop dropping hints.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by jango77(m): 1:12pm On Nov 15, 2010
sorry poster, dats a dumb one!! do u mean who will walk her to the aisle or who will give her out in marriage? still dumb,, she is 18 and above im sure, so NO BODY HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR HER ,if thats what u  mean, and if not then EVEN HER FRIENDS OR BROTHER OR SISTER WILL WALK HER TO THE AISLE,we dont decide for girls who they go with or live with, she is of age, she decides what she wants all she needs is parents support and if they tell u oh that guy is bad or he is this or that, or the funny tone, oh u cant marry him, he is from this part or that part or christian or muslim or hindu or even anything,, go for ur hearts desire nd whoever dont like it should skip from 20th floor for all i care, go there and if u dont like it and not suitable then find ur way to start all over,, IF U NEVA MAKE A MISTAKE THEN U NEVA TRIED NEWS THINGS
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by biijay: 1:15pm On Nov 15, 2010

depends on the family u come from. Some families wouldnt mind who walks the bride down the aisle.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 1:23pm On Nov 15, 2010
jango77:

sorry poster, dats a dumb one!! do u mean who will walk her to the aisle or who will give her out in marriage? still dumb,, she is 18 and above im sure, so NO BODY HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR HER ,if thats what u  mean, and if not then EVEN HER FRIENDS OR BROTHER OR SISTER WILL WALK HER TO THE AISLE,we dont decide for girls who they go with or live with, she is of age, she decides what she wants all she needs is parents support and if they tell u oh that guy is bad or he is this or that, or the funny tone, oh u cant marry him, he is from this part or that part or christian or muslim or hindu or even anything,, go for your hearts desire nd whoever dont like it should skip from 20th floor for all i care, go there and if u dont like it and not suitable then find your way to start all over,, IF U NEVA MAKE A MISTAKE THEN U NEVA TRIED NEWS THINGS

You don't know what he means but you are quick to jump to tagging his question as dumb and throwing some whole load of confused "ifs", all because you are desperate to parade your "superior" liberalism?

Utter clunking rubbish.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MrDuerulu(m): 1:50pm On Nov 15, 2010
[s]sorry poster, dats a dumb one!! do u mean who will walk her to the aisle or who will give her out in marriage? still dumb,, she is 18 and above im sure, so NO BODY HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR HER ,if thats what u  mean, and if not then EVEN HER FRIENDS OR BROTHER OR SISTER WILL WALK HER TO THE AISLE,we dont decide for girls who they go with or live with, she is of age, she decides what she wants all she needs is parents support and if they tell u oh that guy is bad or he is this or that, or the funny tone, oh u cant marry him, he is from this part or that part or christian or muslim or hindu or even anything,, go for your hearts desire nd whoever dont like it should skip from 20th floor for all i care, go there and if u dont like it and not suitable then find your way to start all over,, IF U NEVA MAKE A MISTAKE THEN U NEVA TRIED NEWS.[/s]

A comment from a Buffalo soldier, who does not know his/her history and of course where he/she is coming from grin.

As the post, her father, but if the father is dead, whoever the family appoints to represent the father. It could her uncle, her brother, cousin etc
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by armyofone(m): 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
big deal, undecided

why cant lady walk herself  undecided
i like that walking alone slow dancing to the music instead of someone matching my dress and dragging my overcrowded hand.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MissyB3(f): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
Ndipe:

Traditionally, it's father's responsibility to give out the bride in marriage. That cements his status as the Head of the family. If the man is deceased, then another male family member would take on that role.
This is what I'm familiar with. I don't know any place where anything different from this is done.

Sagamite:

You don't know what he means but you are quick to jump to tagging his question as dumb and throwing some whole load of confused "ifs", all because you are desperate to parade your "superior" liberalism?

Utter clunking rubbish.
Lmao!  grin  grin

**Don't let me catch you giving a stùpid opinion on this forum**
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by gamesb: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
the parents. ( father , but if the fahter is not there the mother & an elder in the fahther's family can stand-in for the father).

Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by obyann(f): 2:19pm On Nov 15, 2010
According to our tradition, it's her father. In the absence of the father, her family decides who performs the duty on behalf of her father
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Blazay(m): 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2010
With all the confusion present in the family systems in this day and age, let the bride please decide.
We do not want broken bottles and shattered skulls littered all over the ceremonial, marriage venues do we?
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by SisiKill1: 2:42pm On Nov 15, 2010
And the reply would be that both should alternate the role, stop at midway, and let the other proceed to the altar.
What is it. . . a circus?

Ridiculous!!
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by JeSoul(f): 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2010
Both my parents walked me down. It was awesome to be flanked left and right by my two most favorite people. It also depends on the attitude of the parents - my mum was suprised at first when I brought it up but was quickly and joyfully won over that I and my dad wanted her to walk too.

I'm not one given over to "tradition" much. I go for whatever works for the people involved. Too many times we restrict ourselves and miss out on truly unique things by enslaving our minds and attitude to "tradition".
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 4:27pm On Nov 15, 2010
JeSoul:

Both my parents walked me down.

You are married?

WTF? Why do you keep on hitting on me then? [Straight face]
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by r231(m): 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
Blazay:

With all the confusion present in the family systems in this day and age, let the bride please decide.
We do not want broken bottles and shattered skulls littered all over the ceremonial, marriage venues do we?

true

we are going through the same problem too
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by JeSoul(f): 5:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
Sagamite:

You are married?

WTF? Why do you keep on hitting on me then? [Straight face]
Lol. Surely, you're imagining things. The only person I've been hitting on with correct smack is my small nephew, the stubborn boy almost ruined my laptop yesterday.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by JeSoul(f): 5:16pm On Nov 15, 2010
r231:

true

Congrats on the impending smiley. My advice to you is do whatever makes you and your future wife happy - not what the family members want. Do what you can to ensure peace but let the shots be called by you both not over-zealous relatives.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MrDuerulu(m): 6:08pm On Nov 15, 2010
''I wish the intended couples will be in the position to decide who does this and that, possibly decide there is no need for introduction and dowry cos it has to do with tradition. I also wish they could get married without their parents consent um .'' Pls, if that's wat you want better turn oyibo grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 6:35pm On Nov 15, 2010
r231:

true

r231, you are awaiting sentencing to life imprisonment too?  shocked

Aah!!! Wetin be the charge? What was your crime?

Chei! Sorry o.

Jokes. Congrats.  grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by bawomolo(m): 6:44pm On Nov 15, 2010
Sagamite:

r231, you are awaiting sentencing to life imprisonment too? shocked

maximum security with no possibility of parole
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by JeSoul(f): 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2010
^ see these yeye boys . . . they will be stronging face here on NL but in real life they are the worst of romantics grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 8:18pm On Nov 15, 2010
Sagamu when you wan marry?
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by r231(m): 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2010
JeSoul:

Congrats on the impending smiley. My advice to you is do whatever makes you and your future wife happy - not what the family members want. Do what you can to ensure peace but let the shots be called by you both not over-zealous relatives.

Thank you ma grin

actually we still trying to beg her mum cus she don't want him there at all

and she is going everything to poison her daughter's mind

Sagamite:

r231, you are awaiting sentencing to life imprisonment too?  shocked

Aah!!! Wetin be the charge? What was your crime?

Chei! Sorry o.

Jokes. Congrats.  grin

thanx bruv. . . . . you are next grin grin grin

bawomolo:

maximum security with no possibility of parole

you are next too grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 9:49pm On Nov 15, 2010
jango77:

sorry poster, dats a dumb one!! do u mean who will walk her to the aisle or who will give her out in marriage? still dumb,, she is 18 and above im sure, so NO BODY HAS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE FOR HER ,if thats what u  mean, and if not then EVEN HER FRIENDS OR BROTHER OR SISTER WILL WALK HER TO THE AISLE,we dont decide for girls who they go with or live with, she is of age, she decides what she wants all she needs is parents support and if they tell u oh that guy is bad or he is this or that, or the funny tone, oh u cant marry him, he is from this part or that part or christian or muslim or hindu or even anything,, go for your hearts desire nd whoever dont like it should skip from 20th floor for all i care, go there and if u dont like it and not suitable then find your way to start all over,, IF U NEVA MAKE A MISTAKE THEN U NEVA TRIED NEWS THINGS

You are implying that since she is of age, she is free to disregard tradition. At the same time, you are contradicting yourself by stating that she needs her parents support. My question is, why would she need her parents support since she is of age?

My take is that it is an exclusive honor reserved for the father as the head of the family, unless he wasnt a part of the girl's life, like a deadbeat. If he is deceased, then the mother of the bride can take the honors.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 10:31pm On Nov 15, 2010
It the duty of the boy friend
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 10:32pm On Nov 15, 2010
It the duty of the boy friend
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by InkedNerd(f): 11:57pm On Nov 15, 2010
@OP: Personally, I'm not into the whole marriage thing but I honestly don't give a rat's a** who walks me down the aisle. As long as I'm happy and nobody is making me have a b***h fit on my supposed "special day" then I'm good.

armyofone:

big deal,  undecided

why cant lady walk herself  undecided
i like that walking alone slow dancing to the music instead of someone matching my dress and dragging my overcrowded hand.

Lmaaaaoooo, funny.

Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by ifyalways(f): 12:24am On Nov 16, 2010
@Topic,anyone the bride sees as her dad.It could be an uncle,step-dad,biological dad or even grand dad.Anyone that played that father role for her deserves to walk her down tha aisle.IMO
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by lioncoolst(m): 12:36am On Nov 16, 2010
I disagree with U guys, I think it shud be her ex grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by lioncoolst(m): 12:39am On Nov 16, 2010
@
Topic,anyone the bride sees as her dad.It could be an uncle,step-dad,biological dad or even grand dad.Anyone that played that father role for her deserves to walk her down tha aisle.IMO
And what i fit was an aristo that played that role undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cuteness Overload : This Is What A Toddler Did When She Met A Kangaroo(PHOTOS) / Shes Rich But Ugly. Should I Marry Her? / Wallpaper In My Room Changes Image In My Eyes. Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.