Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,844 members, 7,820,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory (1452 Views)

5 Nigerian Foods That Give Men Bigger Muscles / 5 Nigerian Seafood Recipe You Probably Never Knew / 10 Best Chinese Restaurants In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by freakishkid(m): 11:34am On Nov 05, 2019
I remember the days when only the rich use to go to these restaurants and it was bragging rights to mention that you grabbed a quick lunch at these eateries. In 2019, it's considered shameful going on a date in any of these restaurants and even if you have picture evidence of people eating in these restaurants they'd deny ever eating there.

Just like U.I, these 5 restaurants are living on past glory.

1. Mr Biggs: No need to say too much, the moment they franchised they shot themselves in the leg. But we have to admit, they once had the best cakes and jam doughnuts in Nigeria. Quote me anywhere.

2. Tantalizers: Just like married people who let themselves go and stop making efforts to look pretty, tantalizers stopped making efforts. No rebranding, no new product, same old dog doing the same old tricks.

3. White House: Once the best Amala (swallow) joint in Lagos, people traveled far and wide and waited in long lines just to get a plate of their Amala. They still exist but now, they seem like a rickety restaurant on life support.

4. Sweet Sensation: No idea why this restaurant was ever popular but apparently, people went there. Mr Biggs opened the door for fast food restaurants and Sweet sensation was smart enough to jump on the trend and just like Tantalizers, it failed to rebrand and give us new products.

5. TFC or Chicken Republic, which of these restaurants do you think should be number 5?

If anything, these restaurants should rebrand and use gimmicks to sell as it's working for other new age alte restaurants. Who knows, maybe selling a N3,500 Agonyi bread and writing "we're all mad here" on their walls is what'll save them.

Which other restaurants did I miss?

I'm Famakin Opeyemi, the biggest food critic in Nigeria.
Follow me on Instagram @OpeyemiFamakin (https://www.instagram.com/opeyemifamakin/)

Re: 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by eTECTIV: 11:43am On Nov 05, 2019
D only one living on past glory is Mr Biggs, d rest didn't have any past glory to begin with..

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by kestolove95(m): 11:54am On Nov 05, 2019
Chicken republic still dey rule

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by Oluwasaeon(m): 12:17pm On Nov 05, 2019
I remember Chiquita on Akowonjo Rd. That one has been dead and buried for as long as I can remember

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by Harlem2(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2019
Na only Mr biggs...... others still dey

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by Ejebleje: 6:16pm On Nov 05, 2019
It's funny cos I was riding with my bros yesterday, and he just said he had the urge to take some snack. Incidentally, we were approaching a Mr Biggs outlet(which happened to be the only one within close proximity) and so we stopped by.

As we approached, the place looked desolate from outside and this was in broad daylight and it was very sunny. My bro wanted us to go back ostensibly because of the inactivity, but I urged him on. He offered to get me snack but I wasnt in the mood for junk food.

He managed to go in and came out shaking his head. He couldn't take the snack he bought because the counter was full of flies. He only took the soda he bought alongside.
We started to recount the days when Mr Biggs was the real deal.

Chicken republic should NOT be on the list , infact they're the most patronised fast food outlet in Lagos here.They offer comparatively cheaper food.

I think the reason for the gradual decline of patronage for fast food outlets is the growing acceptance of conventional food e.g people will rather have amala and ogunfe in nice , clean bukas , or eat ofada with a lot of variety than just jollof .

This is where the likes of The Place and co trumps all the others.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Restaurants That Are Living On Past Glory by freakishkid(m): 12:57pm On Nov 06, 2019
Ejebleje:
It's funny cos I was riding with my bros yesterday, and he just said he had the urge to take some snack. Incidentally, we were approaching a Mr Biggs outlet(which happened to be the only one within close proximity) and so we stopped by.

As we approached, the place looked desolate from outside and this was in broad daylight and it was very sunny. My bro wanted us to go back ostensibly because of the inactivity, but I urged him on. He offered to get me snack but I wasnt in the mood for junk food.

He managed to go in and came out shaking his head. He couldn't take the snack he bought because the counter was full of flies. He only took the soda he bought alongside.
We started to recount the days when Mr Biggs was the real deal.

Chicken republic should NOT be on the list , intact they're the most patronised fast food outlet in Lagos here.They offer comparatively cheaper food.

I think the reason for the gradual decline of patronage for fast food outlets is the growing acceptance of conventional food e.g people will rather have amala and ogunfe in nice , clean bukas , or eat ofada with a lot of variety than just jollof .

This is where the likes of The Place and co trumps all the others.

very apt review

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Cook Afang/edikaikon Soup?pls Help!!! / 6 Foods You Should Eat Raw For Healthy Life; Number 6 Will Surprise You / Man Frying Eggs With Pressing Iron Goes Viral (pictures And Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.