Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,417 members, 7,826,606 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (40560 Views)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / I Studied In Republic Of Benin.. Can I Obtain My Msc In Nigeria? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Rolly22(m): 1:36pm On Nov 11, 2019
LyfeJennings:
I almost schooled in Canada some years back but somehow God didn't want it cos I was denied visa 4 times after paying tuition and all. Even with a very heavy and loaded statement of account.
God news, I took my money back and blew it all
I DONT REGRET THAT DECISION
I don't think I would be happy going to Canada and knowing what lies ahead of me back then.
I'm glad I was denied my visa and I'm grateful for the Nigerian dream

Blew it all? I hope you’re talking about investment here.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 1:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
midnighter:

He was disillusioned by the effect technology was going to have on the world in future...

Some people are so ahead of those around them that they get depressed that others cannot see what they are seeing

That guy was very smart but it got too much for him in the end. Read his full biography, he was very intelligent

There is a thin line between genius and insanity. Tesla fell in love with a pigeon and spent today's $30,000 to try to fix her broken leg

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Rolly22(m): 1:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
Victorex001:

Yeah free tuition...but you’ll nedd a 10k euros block account for your wellfare.

Which is almost 3milion naira.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 1:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

He never said he couldn't get a job or no one was interested in him. The scenario he presented is quite possible. All it takes is a trip to jail followed by deportation and alcoholism or addiction to hard drugs.

However I think the post is probably false for the following reasons:
1)"Boys high school Houston" (Google says no such school exists)
2)Harvard in USA (bet he doesn't know what city Harvard is in)
3)What sort of name is " God's saviour"?!

Maybe you are still doubting because you still 'think' his post is false, well I'm telling you it's a big fat lie. Only someone who either did not go to school or doesn't understand the power & influence of such institutions would swallow his lies/joke; hook, line and sinker.

The purpose of this thread is to share experiences on how going to school abroad has affected your life, do you regret it? Very simple question and he responded by saying he went to the best schools in the world yet ended up in a secondary school in Oshodi and some peeps are here making assumptions and excuses for him, what happened in-between is not our concern, let us face the essence of the thread but I'm telling you the guy was just joking. Big, fat lie.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

There is a thin line between genius and insanity. Tesla fell in love with a pigeon and spent today's $30,000 to try to fix her broken leg

Yes and what others term "insanity" may turn out to be genius. That was my point
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by pseudonomer: 2:02pm On Nov 11, 2019
Focusmind:
People are asking why would anyone regret studying abroad? My people, if after studying abroad and you couldn't get any decent job afterwards, you would be full of regrets.

Some of my colleague in 2009 came to UK on self- sponsorship, paid millions and at the end of their programs, the Conservative government of David Cameroon told them to go back to their respective countries. Companies were told to first consider UK/ EU. Citizens before any international applicant.

It was a hopeless situation for many Nigerian students. Some came back to Nigeria to pick up call centre jobs with MTN and others while some struggled with entry level positions.

I thanked God that I came to UK under scholarship and there was no regret. Luckily, I got something on my return back to Nigeria.

If you want to study and sponsor your self, please head to Canada, New zealand or Australia. Avoid UK or EU countries. If you study in UK or any EU countries, you will be considered last in employment after the citizens of 28 member EU must have been considered.

Don't get me wrong, People still get jobs after studying in UK but it is very tough now. Most Nigerians go abroad to study with purpose of securing decent job and settling there. Most are not interested in coming back. If this is your intention, avoid EU countries.

It has caused a lot of depression to many people after studying abroad, paid the huge millions and come back to Nigeria to hustle for jobs with local graduates.

Some abroad graduates even hides to avoid people asking them questions after coming back to Nigeria. They see themselves as failure if they have nothing to show after returning back to Nigeria.

Germany is an exception in EU
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:05pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Maybe you are still doubting because you still 'think' his post is false, well I'm telling you it's a big fat lie. Only someone who either did not go to school or doesn't understand the power & influence of such institutions would swallow his lies/ joke, hook, line and sinker.

The purpose of this thread is to share experiences on how going to school abroad has affected your life, do you regret it? Very simple question and he responded by saying he went to the best schools in the world yet ended up in a secondary school in Oshodi and some peeps are here making assumptions and excuses for him, what happened in between is not our concern, let us face the essence of the thread but I'm telling you the guy was just joking. Big, fat lie.

The thread simply asked if u regret studying abroad. The guy said he does because despite Harvard he still ended up at Oshodi. Your immediate response is that u can't end up in Oshodi if u went to Harvard. I'm telling you, YOU CAN! The guy may be lying but u can
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:07pm On Nov 11, 2019
midnighter:

Yes and what others term "insanity" may turn out to be genius. That was my point

It is insanity if people term it insanity. How else do u determine insanity
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 2:08pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

The thread simply asked if u regret studying abroad. The guy said he does because despite Harvard he still ended up at Oshodi. Your immediate response is that u can't end up in Oshodi if u went to Harvard. I'm telling you, YOU CAN! The guy may be lying but u can

A first class engineering graduate from Harvard University? Please tell me how, I really want to know and please don't go mystical.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Rayd502(m): 2:08pm On Nov 11, 2019
BarrElChapo:

Thank God you came back alive but on a second thought I'm guessing they weren't the white Indians if not them for cut your abunya sacrifice am for buddha grin

Lol,nah so their guys jealous reach?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by LyfeJennings(m): 2:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
Rolly22:

Blew it all? I hope you’re talking about investment here.

No I blew it recklessly
As in, reckless spending
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by LyfeJennings(m): 2:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

If it happens then village people are strongly behind whoever that person is
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2019
LyfeJennings:
I almost schooled in Canada some years back but somehow God didn't want it cos I was denied visa 4 times after paying tuition and all. Even with a very heavy and loaded statement of account.
God news, I took my money back and blew it all
I DONT REGRET THAT DECISION
I don't think I would be happy going to Canada and knowing what lies ahead of me back then.
I'm glad I was denied my visa and I'm grateful for the Nigerian dream

Never regret. After all, example, lunatic Olunloyo studied in UK, US, Canada, got degree in pharmacy and still ended up crazy in a Nigerian prison

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:20pm On Nov 11, 2019
LyfeJennings:

If it happens then village people are strongly behind whoever that person is

See my post above
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by LyfeJennings(m): 2:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Never regret. After all, example, lunatic Olunloyo studied in UK, US, Canada, got degree in pharmacy and still ended up crazy in a Nigerian prison

Nahhhhh
I didn't regret
Bless God for God
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

A first class engineering graduate from Harvard University? Please tell me how, I really want to know and please don't go mystical.

I have to admit I'm actually talking from experience. I used to know a 9ja guy from a wealthy family who studied law at Harvard (same school attended by many presidents). He became addicted to crack and was living in a crack house. His family had to forcefully bundle him back to Nigeria. Not long after, I heard he was dead, romours of suicide
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Rolly22(m): 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
LyfeJennings:

No I blew it recklessly
As in, reckless spending

LOLs you carry Vex chop the money Finish

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by trilobite: 2:36pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

If it deviates from the societal norm. All bright ideas of today were insane ideas of yesterday.

Remember how round earth scientists were treated in their flat Earth era?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Kvdag(m): 2:40pm On Nov 11, 2019
Graduated from University of Sunderland 2011 but I had to return to Nigeria after my 2 years post study Visa expired. life in Nigeria was terrible and at that time, I regret travelling to the UK to study in the first place. I left Nigeria to Canada last year after wasting 5 solid years in Nigeria. That country frustrated my life I swear down. Canada self get her own wahala, the weather is getting crazy now, expecting 15 cm of snow today in Toronto...na indoor things throughout today ooooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Focusmind: 2:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
pseudonomer:

Germany is an exception in EU

Yes, Germany may be an exception but you have to raise your a little bit further by being fluent in German.

No foreign employer would want to higher someone that cannot communicate properly.

Even companies in UK, US and Canada reject international job applicants that are English speakers because of their poor accent or heavy African accents.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:46pm On Nov 11, 2019
trilobite:

If it deviates from the societal norm. All bright ideas of today were insane ideas of yesterday.

Remember how round earth scientists were treated in their flat Earth era?

But we are NOT talking of insane ideas. We r talking of insane people. If everyone says u r insane, that's the definition of insanity
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Victorex001(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
Rolly22:

Which is almost 3milion naira.

4.2m
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 2:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
Kvdag:
Graduated from University of Sunderland 2011 but I had to return to Nigeria after my 2 years post study Visa expired. life in Nigeria was terrible and at that time, I regret travelling to the UK to study in the first place. I left Nigeria to Canada last year after wasting 5 solid years in Nigeria. That country frustrated my life I swear down. Canada self get her own wahala, the weather is getting crazy now, expecting 15 cm of snow today in Toronto...na indoor things throughout today ooooo

Please, please, we don't want to hear this. Canada is paradise. Please don't bust our bubble
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Yoighaman(m): 2:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

I have to admit I'm actually talking from experience. I used to know a 9ja guy from a wealthy family who studied law at Harvard (same school attended by many presidents). He became addicted to crack and was living in a crack house. His family had to forcefully bundle him back to Nigeria. Not long after, I heard he was dead, romours of suicide

You keep delving towards the exceptions, please stick to the rules.

No exceptions please, you are a first class engineering graduate from Harvard, no drugs, nothing....please tell me how you will end up teaching in a secondary school? That's what I really want to know.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 3:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

You keep delving towards the exceptions, please stick to the rules.

No exceptions please, you are a first class engineering graduate from Harvard, no drugs, nothing....please tell me how you will end up teaching in a secondary school? That's what I really want to know.

U r funny. That's exactly what u r asking for, the exception! When I say something is possible and u say it is not possible, u r implicitly challenging me to show u ONE instance where it happened. I not only showed u how it can happen I actually showed u a real life situation where worse happened.
("No drugs, nothing" is not part of it. The guy never mentioned that)
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 3:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

It can be insane and genius at the same time. Plenty of genius ideas have an insane undertone

If they has told us that there would be driverless cars even 10 years ago don't you think it would have sounded like a hallucination??
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 3:13pm On Nov 11, 2019
midnighter:

It can be insane and genius at the same time. Plenty of genius ideas have an insane undertone

If they has told us that there would be driverless cars even 10 years ago don't you think it would have sounded like a hallucination??

Like I said, we are talking of insane people NOT insane ideas
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by WowSweetGuy(m): 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
LadyHeaven:

Do they treat you and pay you well? The person I know with same story complains terribly
grin Chinese standards are high, you can get frustrated easily working with them. They pay averagely not low and not high
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by midnighter(f): 3:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
PoliteActivist:

Like I said, we are talking of insane people NOT insane ideas

So who is coming up with the insane ideas...
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Rolly22(m): 3:26pm On Nov 11, 2019
Victorex001:

4.2m

Hmmm no be here oh.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
midnighter:

So who is coming up with the insane ideas...

Many, many people have insane ideas without being insane. When people cross that line and everybody says they are insane, it is because they are exhibiting certain BEHAVIOURS
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Tarabye: 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

35 Candidates Miss UNILORIN Post-utme Over Indecent Dressing / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English? / How Federal Polytechnic Idah Spelt 'Acknowledgement' And 'Confirm' On Its Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.