Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (40561 Views)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / I Studied In Republic Of Benin.. Can I Obtain My Msc In Nigeria? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by bilulu(m): 9:59am On Nov 11, 2019
ABOKI9ja:
I'm foreign trainee and I don't have any regret studying in a foreign Country (India).
Come India no be abroad na

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 10:02am On Nov 11, 2019
Yoighaman:

Will Harvard even let you go? World-class organizations would even be chasing you, this is not a first class from Covenant or Igbenedion University, it is HARVARD. The poster was obviously joking.

Someone soberly posted his experience without any hint of joke and u insist he is joking. Do u know his particular story? See below

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by bilulu(m): 10:04am On Nov 11, 2019
ABOKI9ja:
I'm foreign trainee and I don't have any regret studying in a foreign Country (India).
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ahahnow: 10:05am On Nov 11, 2019
BotherMleeper:

This one na liar.

1st class engineering from Harvard equals massive employment opportunity once you do your postgrad.

First of all. In the usa they don't award class, there is nothing like first, second or third class. They just give you your GPA. If he spend all his life in the USA he would know this

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Tellemall: 10:06am On Nov 11, 2019
fk002:
Nigerians mumu ehn!!

See how they turned this informative thread to a sarcastic one, and the funny thing is most of the commenters on the front page, if you check well they attended Mushrooms polythecnics.

OP no regret so far.

Surprising how they made the first page so foolish. You're even taking about polytechnics? Some haven't finished high school.

The general consensus should be no regrets.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Tellemall: 10:09am On Nov 11, 2019
WowSweetGuy:
NO. I studied in china and now work with chinese here in nigeria.

Would you rate the working experience so far as good? Because coming on this site, I noticed that many Nigerians say they are abused by Chinese.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Tellemall: 10:10am On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
if u studied in the uk. After u spent 5 to 6m they sent u back home. U reach here na 100k job u go see. Wont u regret??
Wow, this sounds bad. Is the UK that harsh? No opportunity for them to apply for jobs in other neighboring countries?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by daniddan1999: 10:11am On Nov 11, 2019
Who sponsored ur education i was thinking u re from a rich home and ur family should have some money for ur biz
rtdCivilservant:
I attended Manchester primary school in uk, attended boys high school Houston in united states and graduated from Harvard in United states with a first class in Engineering, but with all these I am a teacher in God's saviour secondary school in Oshodi. So in all what is my gain? This world is wicked.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by WowSweetGuy(m): 10:13am On Nov 11, 2019
Tellemall:

Would you rate the working experience so far as good? Because coming on this site, I noticed that many Nigerians say they are abused by Chinese.
That is kind of true because the chinese usually over labour staffs and pay by working hours but as i speak their language, i am seen like one of them, so i dont get that their abuse.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 10:17am On Nov 11, 2019
ahahnow:

First of all. In the usa they don't award class, there is nothing like first, second or third class. They just give you your GPA. If he spend all his life in the USA he would know this

Maybe he means first class equivalent. How else can u say "first class" to a Brit or Nigerian
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by omohayek: 10:21am On Nov 11, 2019
SmellingAnus:
Is this a joke?
It's either that, or a case of someone sorely in need of anti-psychotic medication. I don't think Harvard has too many alumni with such a shaky command of the English language.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Vision2ae: 10:21am On Nov 11, 2019
VirginSearcher:

You want to go to country in the Sahara Desert where there is crazy heat and study are u mad? angry
do your research before saying shit....that country is virtually in Europe...it's Spain's closest African neighbor....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Lastmankc(m): 10:21am On Nov 11, 2019
These cretins have destroyed this thread. Must you guys joke with everything.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Tellemall: 10:21am On Nov 11, 2019
WowSweetGuy:
That is kind of true because the chinese usually over labour staffs and pay by working hours but as i speak their language, i am seen like one of them, so i dont get that their abuse.
I think this is how they treat workers in their own country. I do not think they go out of their way to punish their Nigerian staff. It's just that their inability to adapt to the Nigerian way is what causes the scuffles. But speaking the language and looking neat are ways to improve interaction with people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Victorex001(m): 10:22am On Nov 11, 2019
TheGreatIYANU:

Well you'd be surprised. I studied in the UK and I quite regret it. When my mates where crossing to Canada for PG, I took the UK route... turned out to be one of the worst decisions I ever took because when I finished my program, I received an email expressly instructing me to return to my country sad

My classmates in the West by the second year of their stay had already been absolved into different organizations. I'm talking about 2012.

Today, all of them are Canadian citizens. The UK just recently upturned that ridiculous policy and now give extra 2 years visa after you finish your program to encourage more foreign students to come there as they where loosing their prospects to Canada.

Wow! I’m having a similar situation, I plan on going to Germany for masters (free tuition) though they have a 1/half years stay back policy, I wanted to apply for PG in Canada initially but the rate of denial is scary.

I’m kinda confused...it’s easier integrating in Canada
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by BotherMleeper(m): 10:23am On Nov 11, 2019
ahahnow:

True

But GPA can be segmented into an emulation of the class system to recognize achievement in the Nigerian context

I don't even know why we bother with him since he's lying
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 10:23am On Nov 11, 2019
BotherMleeper:

I'm not a fatalist so I don't think the future is predestined

People make choices every second that act as variable input towards what the future will be.

But u admit there are people, no matter where they go or what high class uni they attend, still end up with a bleeped up life. See my screenshot above
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Victorex001(m): 10:23am On Nov 11, 2019
ahahnow:

emmasege:
This is why I advise any Nigerian never to consider UK for study except his papa don reserve a space for him for NNPC, FIRS or CBN.

UK have a 2 years stayback policy now...so that’s fair.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Samuels90: 10:26am On Nov 11, 2019
soleexx:

wot is the assurance of getting job after study In the UK... will like to sponsor my sister but needed tot be sure
try North America bro, speaking from experience from a relation. She may be lucky and land a job, but UK only want ur money and give u cert... They don't want you... Tho things have changed now, 2 months back they agreed to allow students stay two years after program.. If u can get that for her still OK, every one got different destiny/ fate...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Enyimbamercedes: 10:28am On Nov 11, 2019
None at all! My first degree was obtained from Lagos State University; Chemical and Polymer Engineering. It was a horrid experience; poorly equipped laboratories, teachers not lecturers, corruption everywhere.
Decided to get a Masters and got admission in Cranfield University. Totally different experience! Proper lectures, 1 hour classroom lecture and 1 week self-study and coursework. Learned a lot of the skills which I am applying today. My only regret today was the 6 years wasted on a first degree

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 10:29am On Nov 11, 2019
omohayek:

It's either that, or a case of someone sorely in need of anti-psychotic medication. I don't think Harvard has too many alumni with such a shaky command of the English language.

His English is ok. What makes me doubt him is "God's saviour secondary School in Oshodi". People normally won't give such a specific detail about themselves

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 10:29am On Nov 11, 2019
Victorex001:

UK have a 2 years stayback policy now...so that’s fair.
2 years to drive uber, work in tesco supermarket and do security job lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by AreaFada2: 10:29am On Nov 11, 2019
jaybee3:

Standfordshire University?
I thought it was Staffordshire o. Anyway since it's not one of the universities I would recommend, I wouldn't know. With many new universities in UK these days quite possible not to know some.
I think regretting something you weighed carefully before doing it is funny. Unless you just rushed into it.

I guess OP is referring to those who left Nigeria just to study abroad at own expense. I guess some of those who chose just any school 'so far Na abroad school " yet expected juicy jobs with multinational companies soon after graduating might have cause to regret.

But education is about experience, personal development, broadening horizon and gaining transferable skills. Hardly something to regret.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by ednut1(m): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2019
Tellemall:

Wow, this sounds bad. Is the UK that harsh? No opportunity for them to apply for jobs in other neighboring countries?
well from next year u can stay 2 years after studies to find a job . Apply to neighbouring countries You must be a joker
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by LyfeJennings(m): 10:31am On Nov 11, 2019
emmasege:
This is why I advise any Nigerian never to consider UK for study except his papa don reserve a space for him for NNPC, FIRS or CBN.

Who goes to that God forsaken country.
To go and do what exactly
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Soul47(m): 10:31am On Nov 11, 2019
Igbouwanile:

Student visa, goto CIC website and check documents checklist for it, but decide if u wanna go to a college or university first, good luck

Please what's the he difference between University degree and College degree in Canada?

Doee either one reduce chances of one getting a job there after Studies or lower salary?
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by PoliteActivist: 10:32am On Nov 11, 2019
Vision2ae:

do your research before saying shit....that country is virtually in Europe...it's Spain's closest African neighbor....

But he is right: it is in the Sahara desert with crazy heat
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by kevoh(m): 10:35am On Nov 11, 2019
NaijaOlosho:

When Nigerians say they will link you to some one becareful ooo

Check if its not Human Traffickers, drug Barron's, human body parts mutilators etc.

Check well oo

grin
Yes, I will link him/her to drug Baron or traffic him /her to Arab slave masters. Are you satisfied now? undecided
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Victorex001(m): 10:36am On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
no they dont chase you have time to look for job and hustle cheesy

But can one easily hustle and save some money in Germany? If after the 1/half years given you don’t get a job you can easily port with the money you saved while hustling??
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by LadyHeaven(f): 10:36am On Nov 11, 2019
WowSweetGuy:
NO. I studied in china and now work with chinese here in nigeria.

Do they treat you and pay you well? The person I know with same story complains terribly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by Tellemall: 10:37am On Nov 11, 2019
ednut1:
well from next year u can stay 2 years after studies to find a job . Apply to neighbouring countries You must be a joker
Not a joke. It's an option.
Re: Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? by LyfeJennings(m): 10:37am On Nov 11, 2019
I almost schooled in Canada some years back but somehow God didn't want it cos I was denied visa 4 times after paying tuition and all. Even with a very heavy and loaded statement of account.
God news, I took my money back and blew it all
I DONT REGRET THAT DECISION
I don't think I would be happy going to Canada and knowing what lies ahead of me back then.
I'm glad I was denied my visa and I'm grateful for the Nigerian dream

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

35 Candidates Miss UNILORIN Post-utme Over Indecent Dressing / How Federal Polytechnic Idah Spelt 'Acknowledgement' And 'Confirm' On Its Portal / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.