Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,881 members, 7,813,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount (21258 Views)

How To Start A Fabrics And Fashion Accessories Brand Using Just Your Smartphone / How To Start A Fabrics And Fashion Accessories Brand Using Just Your Smartphone. / Buy Quality Plain And Patterned Fabrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount by Manicle: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2019
It is no exaggeration that fabrics business is one of the fastest growing, and income doubling business in Nigeria. Everyone wears clothes, many sell clothes, a good number of people are into tailoring and fashion, but very few sell fabrics materials. Even fewer are people who sell good, beautiful and quality fabrics materials.

Here, I'll show you how to start a fabrics business, based on my experience and that of others.

1. Learn about Fabrics Materials

To build your confidence in the business, you must learn the different kinds of fabrics materials so that when talking with your customers, you won't appear a novice and lose customers.

Understanding the difference in fabrics also helps you to avoid buying fake materials and wasting your money. Here are names of some of the fabrics materials: Plain and Pattern, Ankara, Lace, Chinos, Polish Cotton, Crepe, Scuba, Cashmere, Brocade, Linen, Vintage, Velvet, Check, Kampala, Guinea.

2. Research on Fabrics Business.

They say only 1 out of 10 businesses survive the first 5 years. Reason is there are quite a few people who conduct a proper research on the kind of business they want to indulge in, and even fewer do a market survey on the environment they want to start the business.

Selling a fabric material in Ogbomoso is not the same as selling fabrics materials in Lagos. A fabrics material worth 5,000 can not easily sell in some exterior parts of Ogbomoso. In Lagos, same fabrics material can sell for 20,000. If you don't understand this and more, you'll end up buying materials that no one will patronise.

3. Understand Your Target Audience

One of the things that delay progress in sales often times is selling the right product to the wrong persons. Many do that. And its an unpardonable sin in the business world. It will make you frustrated.

And if you are the religious type, you'd end up praying against the witches in your village, declaring them responsible for the lack of sales.

As a fabrics materials seller, some of your target audience are tailors, event planners, fashionistas, churches, choirs, etc. Selling gets easier when you know where your market is.

4. Write a Business Plan

So many avoid the idea of writing a business plan. But what they fail to understand is, business plan benefits you more than it benefits the person telling you about it.

A business plan gives you so much clarity of the future and probabilities of the business. Second, it gives you an opportunity to get sponsored by investors. No investor will invest in your business without seeing the plan you have for it and knowing your budget.

As a starter in fabrics selling business in Nigeria, you need a business plan. It will make the entire business a lot lot easier for you. I know of someone who can write a fantastic business plan for fabrics business at N10,000. You can always contact him on +2347080225737 on call text or WhatsApp. He wrote my business plan, and it was fantastic.

5. Register Your Business with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)

This will go a long way to establish your business and gain the trust of your customers. It will make your business legal and formal. Not only that, with CAC, you can secure the name of your business. And it will be easier for you to get grants/loans from institutions or investors.

The good news is it doesn't cost much. Just 15,000, and you can even register it yourself. But just in case you don't have the time to do that or you need a professional guidance, there is a contact below which you can trust to help you.

6. Acquire Entrepreneurship Skills

Here is why acquiring skills come first before getting capital. I made a mistake when I started. I lost a lot of customers, got duped of 50,000 in the business, which nearly crashed me down.

Twice, I was on the verge of shutting down the business. More than twice, I ceased the business. If I had learnt some basic entrepreneurial skills, it would have saved me of several losses. All thanks to Manicleworld, who saved my Business by teaching me the basic skills.

So, I'll advise strongly that you understand the meaning of entrepreneurship and learn the skills and how it works. It will go a long way for you.

7. Create the business

Start with giving your new fabrics business a name. Here is how to go about it. You can look for a name on two ways: either by coining a name that doesn't exist and is not connected to fabrics or fashion, or by looking for a familiar name to aid your visibility online.

Next, brand your business. Now branding isn't just about logo and color. It's more. Your business will have a face, an experience, a signature, something that makes it distinct from all others.

I'll advise you delegate your branding to professionals. My branding and many other things was done by a business strategist, his contact which I shared below already.

8. Understand Your Marketing Strategy

I'll tell you some of the best ways to market your fabrics material. Instagram is a good store. Google my Business is another. But Facebook, WhatsApp and door to door sales are outstanding strategies.

When you are able to set up these social media platforms well, and advertise them well, you will have a smooth sale. And if you are not much of a social media person or you don't know how to go about the advert. You could employ the use of an advertiser.

Personally, when Beauticleworld, my fabrics brand started, I chatted my business strategist on +2347080225737 and he helped me with my adverts and I sold more than N200,000 within the first 3month. No exaggeration.

You should never toy with the marketing aspect of your business. It's the determinant of the result.

9. Get a Supplier

Next is to look for where to get quality fabrics at a cheap price. Fabrics suppliers are not much. Quality fabrics material suppliers are even fewer. So, choose wisely. Your research on fabrics materials should teach you difference between quality and non- quality materials.

I used to get my fabrics supplies from a number of sources until my business grew to become a self sufficient supplier. For a start, I could be your supplier. Simply call or chat me up on +2348164006570.

10. Generate Capital

The major reason many who are interested in this business are yet to start is lack of capital. Here is a secret. As an entrepreneur, you must learn to understand that sometimes it's not lack of money but lack of vision, insight and determination.

A tip on how to start a fabrics business with very little capital. Look for pictures of very beautiful fabrics from your supplier. Use it to advertise and get people interested. Ask those who show interest when they want it. Tell them to pay up now and assure them they will get it on a specific day.

Then use their money to get the materials. Remove your profit and give them the materials. Invest the profit into the business and try same trick again until you are able to make enough profit to turn to capital independent of people's money. Simple.

11. Get a Store

Now that might be optional for a start. If you are like me who started the fabrics business with less than 10,000, then getting a shop will not even flash your mind. So, for a start, let your store be online. It's usually a sweet experience.

When your business gets bigger and bigger however, you will need to get a shop. The reason it is important is, having a shop with a stable address makes your business a lot more credible. It makes it easier for people to trust you and buy from you without even setting their eyes on you. They feel if anything goes wrong, you are traceable.

Having a shop keeps people at rest that their money is not in a wrong hand. And they can always return the materials if they don't get what they want.
I have quite a number of articles on manicleworld..com that might be helpful to your business. Simply click on the link and explore.

Okay, I hope you gained a thing or two in this article. Please do comment below and let me know what you feel about it. Thank you.

#fabricsmaterials
#ankara
#plainandpattern
#fabricsbusiness

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount by Marcsunny(m): 8:55pm On Nov 12, 2019
I supply pant trousers all colours and white shirt for male in wholesale and unit purchase.The brands are top Europe designers.
Any colour kindly dm.store located in ikotun Lagos
Customers outside lagos will pay a token for delivery.
https:///2347031375607?text=Order%20for%20pant%20trousers%20and%20plain%20and%20pattern%20in%20bulk%20

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount by Olarewaju89: 1:58am On Jul 21, 2020
I love this article.
Re: How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount by nmama(f): 10:14am On Jan 27, 2021
Very educating. Op well done
Re: How To Start A Fabrics Business In Nigeria With Very Small Amount by eudoh940(m): 1:46pm On Mar 01, 2022
Nice one op... I love this....thank you very much

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Maristella Okpala Wins Best National Costume At Miss Universe 2021 / Picture Of Wizkid Wearing A Skirt / How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.