Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,914 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? (21319 Views)

My Dressing For Work Today With Possible Undies / Hair Dressing And Tailoring Which Is Better / Enugu Police Arrest Two Ladies Walking On The Road For Indecent Dressing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 2:47pm On Jan 03, 2021
Ladies and gentlemen welcome to my first inquiry.

Like most people who write about this sort of thing on nairaland I am introvert. But I don't think it is the reason for my lack of 'proper' grooming and fashion sense.

I say proper because I love the way I am and if it was possible I would stay like this. But in this life, your society will influence you whether you like it or not. 6 months from now I will be 21 and I will no longer be forgiven for my lack of proper male grooming and fashion.

What do I mean? For one, I hate cutting my hair and the small beard I have , talkless of combing it. Picture Woke Soyinka hair and beard, segalink's hair but uncombed, and shellock Holmes' attitude to vanity. Even Nair cutting is laborious.

I have never enter market to buy clothes alone before, all my clothe are bought by mum or my sisters. I follow my dad to buy sew clothe and to buy cover shoes. I don't have and fashion taste or identity.

I am in my fourth year of medical school, ward round and call demand I dress smart and dignified for the comfort of the patient, we are now supposed to wear corporate all days of the week and cheap ties will not do.

Whether I like or not, the way I dress, groom and look in school, church and the hospital is the way I will be addressed.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 2:48pm On Jan 03, 2021
My questions are;
1. What brand of body spray is good for men? (I have never bought anything like this before, I just use my mom's and sisters perfume sparingly)
2. Can I continue to use my nicoderm mixed with Vaseline and soulmate?
3. Whats your advice on shoes? ( I am not doing for the girls perse but I know of peacocking and obsession of girls to shoes, shame grin )
4. No matter how I try my clothes are always sloppy, what can I do to look sharp in my clothes?
5. Do I need to ditch the skinny look? Can I look clothes in shirt without being buff? (I hate working out and too much muscle)
6. How can I decorate my man cave?
7. Is there any online space or PDF u read about this in practical terms.

Lalaticlala, mynd44, forano Dominique abeg move to front page or the appropriate section make I help my life abeg.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Khayceeofficial(m): 3:24pm On Jan 03, 2021
You just wrote a letter to your Heavenly Father...

congrats!

Updated
Damn, don't even remember if I did write this up there grin
No vex OP

This shit was more than a year ago. Which mod dhe do like this?

At the end, it all bores down to what you're comfortable in

Bout the clothes, I personally don't wear skin tights cos I'm kinda slim. So y show it?
You could opt for tops a bit boggy and try to make your cuts clean whichever way you wanna keep it.

If you want a dread, get one and avoid carrying hair without combing it.

Spray? There are lots of them out there. Don't deliberate on whether to use them or not. It's necessary cos sweat na b@stard

Bout your clothes being sloppy, no worry. It's as tho one's mirror never gives a real image of one's self grin.

You'll be fine. Also make sure this hygiene is reciprocated to your environment too.
Most men take care of one and neglect the other. You'll be fine

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2021
Khayceeofficial:
You just wrote a letter to your Heavenly Father...

congrats!
What makes it unreadably??
This is not even as long as post in this no.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2021
Or maybe I should rewrite in pidgin to appeal to you people?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poloyanabo2(m): 3:33pm On Jan 03, 2021
You got no elder ones?
I got no advice to give you cos I don't seem to understand, but I'll wait to hear from dem other elders.
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Thattallgirl(f): 4:03pm On Jan 03, 2021
Lol you just need to abide by whatever rules or dress code of the authority you're under till you're completely through with schooling.

Questions 1&2: No idea
3. Palm slippers on casual wear or sneakers will do. I love seeing a guy on shorts (knee length), with a round neck top and a pair of sneakers. Really cute. For suits, pls and pls avoid shoes that are too pointy angry
4. I guess the same problem skinny girls have is the same with skinny guys - not finding clothes that suits them. They exist but not so common...you'll need to spend time in shopping. Wear the clothes u wanna buy before paying. Don't wear clothes that are too big (else you'd look like what I dunno) or clothes that are too fitted (else you'd look like broomstick)...just a little extra space between your body and the clothes. Pls don't wear skinny jeans embarassed
5. If you love how slim you are, u don't need to ditch it. Just wear the right clothes and make your stature attractive.
6. I may not answer this well but let it be more spacious, clean, have a game, less furnitures, more arts, rep a football club flag too grin etc
7. Me I dunno o

I'm a lady so I might not get it all right grin

48 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Myzubby(m): 4:29pm On Jan 03, 2021
please bro start trimming your nails and hair ok
thats personal hygiene
always wear clothes that blends with your colour that makes you look smart
well all you said about yoursef is not enough to educate you on how to chose a dressing code for yourself
but one thing I do know is that neat clothes with neat hair cuts makes a man look smarter and richer

22 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 4:33pm On Jan 03, 2021
Thattallgirl:
Lol you just need to abide by whatever rules or dress code of the authority you're under till you're completely through with schooling.

Questions 1&2: No idea
3. Palm slippers on casual wear or sneakers will do. I love seeing a guy on shorts (knee length), with a round neck top and a pair of sneakers. Really cute. For suits, pls and pls avoid shoes that are too pointy angry
4. I guess the same problem skinny girls have is the same with skinny guys - not finding clothes that suits them. They exist but not so common...you'll need to spend time in shopping. Wear the clothes u wanna buy before paying. Don't wear clothes that are too big (else you'd look like what I dunno) or clothes that are too fitted (else you'd look like broomstick)...just a little extra space between your body and the clothes. Pls don't wear skinny jeans embarassed
5. If you love how slim you are, u don't need to ditch it. Just wear the right clothes and make your stature attractive.
6. I may not answer this well but let it be more spacious, clean, have a game, less furnitures, more arts, rep a football club flag too grin etc
7. Me I dunno o

I'm a lady so I might not get it all right grin
Thanks for your contribution
Na only one time I don buy timberland like that.
Shoe dey too expensive and I don't even like sneakers or where to wear it to.
Once in a while, event like this come up and I have to turn down.
My own na shirt, trousers, covershoe.
Sneakers wahala
Shorts wahala
Cap wahala
What do you think of jewelry on men like ring and necklace??
I don't necessarily like those things but I have realized that I need them to belong and later to network

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2021
Myzubby:
please bro start trimming your nails and hair ok
thats personal hygiene
always wear clothes that blends with your colour that makes you look smart
well all you said about yoursef is not enough to educate you on how to chose a dressing code for yourself
but one thing I do know is that neat clothes with neat hair cuts makes a man look smarter and richer
But why is all this really necessary
Can I just be rated for my intellect regardless??

1 Like

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poloyanabo2:
You got no elder ones?
I got no advice to give you cos I don't seem to understand, but I'll wait to hear from dem other elders.
No older brother ohhh and I suspect that my dad was just like this but as he get money he package.
Even till now I have never seen my dad have his own cream or perfume before na my mumsy own he dey use >: grin grin cheesy

7 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poloyanabo2(m): 4:43pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poshvector12345:

No older brother ohhh and I suspect that my dad was just like this but as he get money he package.
Even till now I have never seen my dad have his own cream or perfume before na my mumsy own he dey use >: grin grin cheesy
grin So sorry I can't help you on this, I would have loved to.
Its complicated.
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Thattallgirl(f): 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poshvector12345:

Thanks for your contribution
Na only one time I don buy timberland like that.
Shoe dey too expensive and I don't even like sneakers or where to wear it to.
Once in a while, event like this come up and I have to turn down.
My own na shirt, trousers, covershoe.
Sneakers wahala
Shorts wahala
Cap wahala
What do you think of jewelry on men like ring and necklace??
I don't necessarily like those things but I have realized that I need them to belong and later to network
You're welcome
If u wanna look nice and clean, sneakers need to be among your clothings. Expensive yea, but it's worth it. You don't need to wear sneakers to classes, palm slippers are fine if it's casual wear. You can wear sneakers on any outing like dates, or anywhere you'll have to meet new people.

You see! For events, trousers can do, with a round neck top and a jean jacket or leather jacket (if it's not sunny) with a pair of sneakers...not everytime cover shoe. Try different shapes and colors of sneakers. And yea, jean jackets look cool on skinny guys too. Extra clothings fit skinny guys too, like the example I gave for the event. The jacket is an extra clothing. It makes it look like you're not so skinny.

Avoid cap. Your head may look like full stop in it. Except you don't have a small head and you're tall cheesy

And you don't need rings or necklace to belong or network. It's not a bad idea but not in this country where you may be tagged as a Yahoo boy. wink

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Myzubby(m): 5:21pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poshvector12345:

But why is all this really necessary
Can I just be rated for my intellect regardless??
bro I understand that personality differs but generally speaking aside work dress people also expect you to dress smartly in your casual wears and neatness is of a great value . Am surprise that at 20 you still cant make some purchases yourself.lol. But truth be told you need to groom yourself now. Am Grateful TO GOD ALMIGHTY ANYWAY FOR MY LIFE. I CANT KEEP COUNT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE COMPLEMENTED MY LOOK ESPECIALLY MY DRESSING . AND AM 21.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2021
Myzubby:
bro I understand that personality differs but generally speaking aside work dress people also expect you to dress smartly in your casual wears and neatness is of a great value . Am surprise that at 20 you still cant make some purchases yourself.lol. But truth be told you need to groom yourself now. Am Grateful TO GOD ALMIGHTY ANYWAY FOR MY LIFE. I CANT KEEP COUNT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE COMPLEMENTED MY LOOK ESPECIALLY MY DRESSING . AND AM 21.
Thank for your input.
Ontop that buying alone, shebi na person wey wan buy cloth dey go shop?
Na only once I don buy timberland that year and na peer pressure to belong cause am.
Now I don start to the follow all this Ankara pages on Instagram to take help my life.
I have noticed that there is a clothing bias, if una get the same brain matter na person were rock look go get am.
I use to be deny it
Then I was angry.
Now I have come to accept it as a social Norm
Na to embrace am remain

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by NiklauseFred(m): 7:53pm On Jan 03, 2021
Thattallgirl:
You're welcome
If u wanna look nice and clean, sneakers need to be among your clothings. Expensive yea, but it's worth it. You don't need to wear sneakers to classes, palm slippers are fine if it's casual wear. You can wear sneakers on any outing like dates, or anywhere you'll have to meet new people.

You see! For events, trousers can do, with a round neck top and a jean jacket or leather jacket (if it's not sunny) with a pair of sneakers...not everytime cover shoe. Try different shapes and colors of sneakers. And yea, jean jackets look cool on skinny guys too. Extra clothings fit skinny guys too, like the example I gave for the event. The jacket is an extra clothing. It makes it look like you're not so skinny.

Avoid cap. Your head may look like full stop in it. Except you don't have a small head and you're tall cheesy

And you don't need rings or necklace to belong or network. It's not a bad idea but not in this country where you may be tagged as a Yahoo boy. wink

You have a nice fashion sense.
Op if you're tall,skinny and dark.You should go with the sneakers,jean,jean/denim jack with turtleneck(white or black )depending on the color of ur 'sniks' and dark shade would do(no too big not too small)

You can never be got unsoft with denim jackets and sniks.

just a pic refrence

Try going on youtube too.There's a guy their,he has great contents and i learnt alot from him.
Sorry I forgot the name of the Channel.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2021
NiklauseFred:

Op if you're tall,skinny and dark.You should go with the sneakers,jean,jean/denim jack with turtleneck(white or black )depending on the color of ur 'sniks' and dark shade would do(no too big not too small)

just a pic refrence

Try going on youtube too.There's a guy their,he has great contents and i learnt alot from him.

cheesy cheesy
Omo if I wear this ragged jean come pass my palle for front, he go just look me 2 days he no fit talk, he no even understand the effrontery. Simple to fit trousers dey bring talk imagine ragged jean.
I need to invest in leather and jean jacket then, I use to think leather is for the abroad.

Lemme ask you, must I buy all this from comfam boutique or can I 'buy and brush' to standard?
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Thattallgirl(f): 8:18pm On Jan 03, 2021
NiklauseFred:

just a pic refrence

Thanks, so do you. smiley
Op u have no choice but to add sneakers to your wardrobe o tongue
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by olufeyikemi90789: 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2021
:You just wrote a letter to your Heavenly Father... congrats! What makes it unreadably??This is not even as long as post in this no.
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by NiklauseFred(m): 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poshvector12345:

cheesy cheesy
Omo if I wear this ragged jean come pass my palle for front, he go just look me 2 days he no fit talk, he no even understand the effrontery. Simple to fit trousers dey bring talk imagine ragged jean.
I need to invest in leather and jean jacket then, I use to think leather is for the abroad.

Lemme ask you, must I buy all this from comfam boutique or can I 'buy and brush' to standard?

If you have got money for the boutique you go there and be sides most of the boutiques we have buy theirs from the regular market people before and putting it some finishing touch.
You can go to the market and buy them and give it to a good tailor to amend them.(when I got my first denim jackets it was a little big for me(the width) so I adjusted them myself)
Where is ur location?

You mustn't go with ragged jeans tho but ragged jeans makes sense for me oo(to some extent)
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Shortyy(f): 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poshvector12345:
My questions are;
1. What brand of body spray is good for men? (I have never bought anything like this before, I just use my mom's and sisters perfume sparingly)
2. Can I continue to use my nicoderm mixed with Vaseline and soulmate?
3. Whats your advice on shoes? ( I am not doing for the girls perse but I know of peacocking and obsession of girls to shoes, shame grin )
4. No matter how I try my clothes are always sloppy, what can I do to look sharp in my clothes?
5. Do I need to ditch the skinny look? Can I look clothes in shirt without being buff? (I hate working out and too much muscle)
6. How can I decorate my man cave?
7. Is there any online space or PDF u read about this in practical terms.

Lalaticlala, mynd44, forano Dominique abeg move to front page or the appropriate section make I help my life abeg.

Lol.

You have sisters, tell them to help you, or if you have an elder bro or cousin bro, let him help you out.

I'll suggest men Nivea for body cream and spray, I'll suggest a little push up every morning, to get small packs, not much.

About your choice of clothes and shoes, enter the boutique, once they look at you, they'll give you what you need. If you need a stylist, I'm available, but it will cost you.

Skinny isn't bad, but try to add a little flesh. You'll do this by adding a little weight and working out at the same time.

Decorating Your room, just go online and see some room patterns for guys at your age, you'll know how to go about it.

All in all, try being yourself. You really don't have live to please anyone.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 03, 2021
This thread long pass river Congo
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Poshvector12345: 10:54pm On Jan 03, 2021
Shortyy:

Lol.

You have sisters, tell them to help you, or if you have an elder bro or cousin bro, let him help you out.

I'll suggest men Nivea for body cream and spray, I'll suggest a little push up every morning, to get small packs, not much.

About your choice of clothes and shoes, enter the boutique, once they look at you, they'll give you what you need. If you need a stylist, I'm available, but it will cost you.

Skinny isn't bad, but try to add a little flesh. You'll do this by adding a little weight and working out at the same time.

Decorating Your room, just go online and see some room patterns for guys at your age, you'll know how to go about it.

All in all, try being yourself. You really don't have live to please anyone.
Thanks so much for the contribution.
I'll try that Nivea, as for adding weight that's impossible, I eat like a whale but highest na 60 kg top, if I slack for eating it comes down to 54. I de even fear to workout for fear of loosing the little I have. I am one of those pple that school go close resume I still de the same size no change.
I will try that press up and I have started following all this male fashion pages on Reddit and Instagram. I am also looking at minimalist and cheap room decor. Las Las thank you for your offer but I don't think I can afford you yet. cry
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Shortyy(f): 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2021
Poshvector12345:

Thanks so much for the contribution.
I'll try that Nivea, as for adding weight that's impossible, I eat like a whale but highest na 60 kg top, if I slack for eating it comes down to 54. I de even fear to workout for fear of loosing the little I have. I am one of those pple that school go close resume I still de the same size no change.
I will try that press up and I have started following all this male fashion pages on Reddit and Instagram.

That's great.

Good luck
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by yungevvy(m): 2:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
Poshvector12345:
Ladies and gentlemen welcome to my first inquiry.
Like most people who write about this sort of thing on nairaland I am introvert. But I don't think it is the reason for my lack of 'proper' grooming and fashion sense. I say proper because I love the way I am and if it was possible I would stay like this. But in this life, your society will influence you whether you like it or not. 6 months from now I will be 21 and I will no longer be forgiven for my lack of proper male grooming and fashion.
What do I mean? For one, I hate cutting my hair and the small beard I have , talkless of combing it. Picture Woke Soyinka hair and beard, segalink's hair but uncombed, and shellock Holmes' attitude to vanity. Even Nair cutting is laborious.
I have never enter market to buy clothes alone before, all my clothe are bought by mum or my sisters. I follow my dad to buy sew clothe and to buy cover shoes. I don't have and fashion taste or identity.
I am in my fourth year of medical school, ward round and call demand I dress smart and dignified for the comfort of the patient, we are now supposed to wear corporate all days of the week and cheap ties will not do.
Whether I like or not, the way I dress, groom and look in school, church and the hospital is the way I will be addressed.

Can we be friends?
We seem to have much in common.
I'm a medical student too, currently in preclinical class, I'm a 19 year old. Like you, I'm introverted. I see you follow the masturbation quitting thread, I've been trying to give up the habit too.
Would be really cool to get a reply from you smiley

1 Like

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by malali: 4:59pm On Nov 05, 2022
Ifeanyi Adeleke was autistic.
His death reeks of orchestration.
Societal stigma of rich wealthy people having autistic children should be softened.

#Autism speaks.
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by jericco1(m): 5:00pm On Nov 05, 2022
Interesting
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by sonnie10: 5:00pm On Nov 05, 2022
Check what is trending on social media and magazines
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by buygala(m): 5:01pm On Nov 05, 2022
Whatever it is you are grooming, please groom your health and hygiene as well smiley

We are tired of seeing apparently well groomed individuals with halitosis, eczema and other yamayama health issues.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by Kingpele(m): 5:01pm On Nov 05, 2022
Go to school and get a job, when u get money ,u will naturally want to dress up in a way that matches your status

8 Likes

Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by bigdammyj: 5:02pm On Nov 05, 2022
Reading...
Re: How Can I Improve On My Dressing And Grooming As A 20 Year Old Guy? by inoki247: 5:02pm On Nov 05, 2022
Oga goan make money wu ur grooming help....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Incredible Photo Of The Power Of Make-up / Skin Problem Charts / Mercy Aigbe's Sparkly AMMA Outfit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.