Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,578 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Nigerian Websites And Rss - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nigerian Websites And Rss (1104 Views)

Are There Any Json, Rss Or Xml Feeds For Nairaland? / Nigerian Stock Exchange Api, Rss Feeds & Widgets :: / Nigeria Stock Market Data In Any Format (wsdl, Rss Feed, Csv ) Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Websites And Rss by geekabyte(m): 12:40pm On May 23, 2007
Just wondering at the amount of Nigerian sites, most especially the news site, that don't syndicate their content.

I don't know, is it that they are not aware of RSS and what it is or they don't just see the value it can add?
Re: Nigerian Websites And Rss by geekabyte(m): 10:46am On May 24, 2007
simple,
The value is in the increased audience pool it provides.
Syndicating your website is like providing a distribution network for your content. Enabling feed readers to easily notify subscribers of new contents.

I have a couple of websites/blog i read on a regular basis. But can you imagine the inconvenience of having to manually type url of each site (that is if i remember all of them) to see if there are new contents? I don't because I've subscribed to their rss feeds so i just check my feeds, and if there is any new content I'm promptly taken to the website/blog.

And also the distribution network is not limited to readers who personally subscribe to feeds. There are news aggregating websites that takes feeds from sources and present to readers in one convenient place. Or how do you think a site like google news gets its content from? Or Cnet? Even BBC presents feeds from external sources.

So for Thisday news site, syndicating, apart from making it easier for user to get fresh content they are setting themselves up for more visitors; you never can tell, if google finds the news there good enough and updated regularly they might decide to pick on it as the source for news coming from Nigeria. Or do you think they have the time to be manually scurrying for news content on your site to put on google news?

And if they are adventurous enough they might want to see it as a source of funds generation. See http://www.pheedo.com/ for more on that.

(1) (Reply)

Dynamicaly Update Database Recordset Across A Lan. / Windows Server Hosting! Help Please! / Can You Imagine The Insult?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.