Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM (3440 Views)

Poll: What Will Be The Outcome Of This Match?

Sharks Will Win: 41% (7 votes)
A Draw: 35% (6 votes)
Dolphins Will Win: 23% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

NPFL: Warri Wolves Vs Dolphins (1 - 0) On 16th August 2015 / NPFL( Double Header)- Dolphins Vs Nasarawa 2pm & Sharks Vs W. Wolves 4pm( Today) / Eyimba Vs Dolphins FC Federation Cup Final ( 2 - 1) On 23rd November 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2010
Match: Sharks FC vs Dolphins FC

Venue: Sharks Stadium, Port Harcourt

Date: Saturday, November 20

Time of Match: 4PM Nigerian Time

Preview:
The Garden city of Port Harcourt will have it's peace and tranquility shattered this weekend as it's two teams in the Premier Division of the Football League, Sharks and Dolphins Football Clubs go to war.

Coming into this match, Sharks the home team in this derby is placed 13th on the log  table after only being able to secure 2 points from it's previous two matches due to drawn games away to Lobi Stars in Markurdi and JUTH FC in Port Harcourt.

Dolphins on the other hand, occupies the numero uno position on the league table due to it's home and away victories over Rangers FC and Plateau United respectively.

Both sides have good technical benches and players to swing victory their way. Sharks also called the Blue Angels is being managed by present Nigeria U-20 Coach, John Obuh and can rely on the skill and experience of players like Sane Pape Ousmane (a Senegalese International), Bright Ejike (a discovery of the Oceanic Football reality show), Terry Envoh (Nigerian U-20 player),  Stephen Owusu (a Ghanaian International), Victor Ezeji (a Nigerian International), Thankgod Amaefule, etc to mention a few while Dolphins have the likes of Sunday Rotimi & Mutiu Adegoke (both Nigerian Internationals), Omo Ojabu (Nigerian U-20 player), Jonah Abutu , Emmanuel Nwachi, [/i]etc in it's fold with the technical input being provided by Stanley Eguma from the bench.

Last season, this same fixture at the Sharks Stadium ended goalless although with a lot of controversy, shenanigans and high level politicking on and off the pitch. Already the undercurrents of this match is being felt in the Garden City and beyond with officials of both teams making cross and counter accusations and the NPL has said it'd be keeping a close eye on this game.

This is a derby and technically both teams are at home and as such won't be lacking support from the stands. Some close followers of the game say it's more than a football match as it's a battle for the heart and soul of Port Harcourt with the two teams "allegedly" being supported by different political factions in the state. . .in fact, this people have gone as far as dubbing it "Odili vs Amaechi" grin

So which way will the pendulum swing this time or will it play out exactly the way it did last season? I guess we'll only know the answer after the Referee has blown the final whistle.

Meanwhile. . .drop your comments, predictions etc and lets know what you think.

[i]N.B: Match will be on SuperSport 9 on Saturday at 4.00PM Nigerian Time.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 8:28am On Nov 18, 2010
http://www.kickoff.com/news/18888/derby-day-frightens-dolphins-players.php

Derby day frightens Dolphins players

A posse of top Dolphins players are asking to be excused from this weekend's derby against fierce city rivals Sharks, for fear of 'punishment from above' if they put in too much effort and get a result.

A point in this fixture last season allegedly led to a significant slash in wages for three players.

Dolphins may be unbeaten and top of the league, but their so far unblemished record will be in grave danger, and from within, as the team gets ready for Saturday's Garden City derby.

Last season, Dolphins held Sharks to a 0-0 draw at the Sharks Stadium, with Dolphins goalkeeper Sunday Rotimi saving two hotly-disputed penalty kicks, including one deep into second half stoppage time.

Such was the intensity of the game that Dolphins coach Stanley Eguma refused to go into the dressing room at half time, choosing to do his half time team talk on the field.

The match officials also spent nearly five minutes on the pitch, before they bowed to supplication by Sharks assistant coach Kennedy Boboye to go to the dressing room.

That result seriously undermined Sharks chances of staying up, and they only avoided relegation because Bayelsa United lost three points against Wikki Tourists.

Dolphins players claimed they were directed to throw the game by a top government official with oversight functions over both teams, in order to help Sharks survive.

When the second penalty was awarded, the official allegedly approached the Dolphins bench and demanded the penalty be allowed to go in.

He was challenged by three players, including Rotimi, who went on to save the kick.

The other two were Emmah Godwin and Festus Austin.

This season, all three players suffered hugely significant cuts to their annual sign on fees, with skipper Godwin suffering the highest cut of N1.1 million to his sign-on fee. Defender Festus Austin had N1million sliced off his while Rotimi was lucky to see a relatively modest N900 000 pinched off his.

The only other players who suffered cuts to their wages, were fringe players who failed to make any appearances for the club during the season.

The rest of the team, mindful of the punishment suffered by the trio, are now wary about playing for a win.

Only the new recruits, blissfully ignorant of the circumstances, are looking forward to a feisty game.

The current situation again brings to the fore the issue of single ownership of clubs in the same competition, a clear and blatant violation of FIFA regulations on club ownership.

Both clubs are owned by the Rivers State government, and are managed and administered from the office of the State Sports Commissioner.

This is in flagrant violation of Art 9 of the Fifa Club Licensing Regulations, which specifically prohibit a single natural or legal entity from direct or indirect ownership of multiple clubs, in the same competition.

So far, the NFF have refused to act, despite other states being involved in a similar practice.

Hehehe. . .you go fear derby grin

Who still dey talk se Naija league nor sweet? grin
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 8:36am On Nov 18, 2010
http://www.kickoff.com/news/18881/davidson-owumi-warns-sharks-dolphins-over-derby.php

Owumi warns Sharks, Dolphins over Derby

NPL chairman Davidson Owumi is expecting fireworks this weekend when the Premier League's Garden City rivals Sharks and Dolphins confront each other at the Sharks Stadium.

Despite being both under the control of the Rivers State government, a fierce, sometimes violent rivalry brews nonstop between both teams.

Owumi, who turned out for Sharks in his playing days, is well aware of the of the potential sparks that could fly, and has warned both sides that the NPL will be keeping a close watch on proceedings.

"We expect a very testy game because Sharks have just two points so far, while Dolphins will be trying to keep their unbeaten record in the league," Owumi said.

"I know how difficult these games can be, and the current situation makes it even harder.

"But we expect these two teams to play by the rules, and the fans to behave themselves.

"We will be keeping a close watch on the match and we will not hesitate to apply stiff sanctions on anybody who is found to have acted in a way that brings the game into disrepute.

"So we urge both teams to control both their players and their supporters and give Nigerians and the rest of Africa a fantastic derby game that we can be proud of, and may the better side win."

The game is one of the three live televised matches of the week and will be on SuperSport 9.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Dsense(m): 8:40am On Nov 18, 2010
@topic
who watches the nigerian premier league ? tongue
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by binhozie(m): 9:02am On Nov 18, 2010
Na wa o
Sharks vs Dolphins
Na for inside water them go play the match grin

D-sense:

@topic
who watches the nigerian premier league ? tongue

dey there dey decieve yourself
a lot of people do. i know people who dont watch anything else
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by honeric01(m): 9:33am On Nov 18, 2010
Semid abeg make i come watch this match for una house My sub don expire and i ave got no budget 4 it now.
This match go dey smokey!!! 2 terrestial mammals hehehehehehehehe, both animals don't walk alone.

John obuh and stanley Eguma, 2 respected coaches in the league.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by medjai(m): 10:14am On Nov 18, 2010
I think it will end in a draw. Dolphins, early season pacesetters, are doing very well at the moment. Infact, it's hard to believe they just made back to the premier league last season. They look good going forward with ex-Sharks player, Emannuel Nwachi and U-20 star, Omoh Ojabu.
Sharks on the other hand have the home advantage in this derby. They are 13th on the log after 2 draws from 2 games. The veteran Victor Ezeji and Terry Envoh are their main threats up front.

Overall, I think it will be a feisty encounter and will end in a draw
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by honeric01(m): 10:40am On Nov 18, 2010
^^
Home advantage?
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Cappadona123: 3:48pm On Nov 18, 2010
Dolphin is going to win
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by honeric01(m): 4:05pm On Nov 18, 2010
^^^^^

Same here.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by deelawans(m): 7:26pm On Nov 18, 2010
Guyz, no matter how bad the league is now, we should still support the Nigerian league by 1st watching the matches then look into other ways to improve it. Its only when pple watch; the league grows. South African league has grown due to creativity, branding and fanatics in their league.
We developed a unique prediction game that will enhance the Nigerian league's follower-ship.
I will need u guyz to feel it & i need feedback to know the progress.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 8:51pm On Nov 18, 2010
Dolphins nor fit win lai lai. Sharks need the 3 points desperately so they'll do anything and everything to win this match. . .even a draw ain't good enough cos it means they'll be fighting to stay up so early in the season.

Besides, I believe Dolphins wouldn't put in too much of an effort cos even if they lose they'll still be sitting comfy in the upper half of the table.

I see Sharks picking up the 3 points on Saturday.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by medjai(m): 9:41pm On Nov 18, 2010
I think it will end in a draw. It's a derby, it goes beyond form and home advantage. There's superiority and bragging rights up for grabs and so I expect a very feisty tie.
Besides, this will be a huge test on how much officiating has improved. I hope there wont be cheap penalties and endless injury time
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 9:53pm On Nov 18, 2010
medjai:

Besides, this will be a huge test on how much officiating has improved. I hope there wont be cheap penalties and endless injury time

Did you by any chance see the match between JUTH FC and Plateau United last season? An army officer officiated that match and fierce looking soldiers were in charge of security and the fans were so well behaved.

Na that kain person dem suppose use officiate this match grin
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 11:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
http://supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/101118/NPL_Week_3_Preview

NPL Week 3 Preview
by George Akpayen

Saturday, November 20, 2010
Sharks v Dolphin

This will be the seventh derby between both sides since March 30, 2003. In the previous ties since 2003, the Blue Angels have never won a game against Dolphin (home and away). There is only one pointer to this game – another draw in the Port Harcourt. But expect fireworks from the stands to pitch with the likes of Victor Ezeji, Bright Ejike, Sunday Rotimi, Owusu Addae and co all primed for this one.

Our prediction: 1 – 1

Recent head-to-head
Saturday, March 30, 2003
Dolphin 0 – 0 Sharks
Saturday, May 18, 2003
Sharks 1 – 1 Dolphin
Saturday, May 28, 2005
Dolphin 2 – 1 Sharks
Sunday, November 27, 2005
Sharks 0 – 2 Dolphin
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Dolphin 1 – 1 Sharks
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Sharks 0 – 0 Dolphin
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Pharoh: 8:39am On Nov 19, 2010
How can i watch this match online? angry
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by dominique(f): 3:16pm On Nov 19, 2010
^^^ you cant, but you can view highlights on supersport website i fink.
I'm tipping dolphins to win the derby clash.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by SSaemoenl(m): 10:12pm On Nov 19, 2010
My first time to see Nigerian match on front page. Hope raising in Naija. Lets celebrates and promotes ours. Well done poster. shocked cool
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2010
SSaemoenl:

My first time to see Nigerian match on front page. Hope raising in Naija. Lets celebrates and promotes ours. Well done poster. shocked cool

True. . . we gats promote our own.

Meanwhile where all those PH Nairalanders like ow11, Ibime etc ?
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by honeric01(m): 10:24pm On Nov 19, 2010
semid4lyfe:

True. . . we gats promote our own.

Meanwhile where all those PH Nairalanders like ow11, Ibime etc ?

Hibernating. tongue
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by OvieE: 12:01am On Nov 20, 2010
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by usbcable(m): 1:42am On Nov 20, 2010
Am guilty of not watching npl matches.even I k ow little.but am happy to see it on front page.
ka gbe nkan tiwa na laruge.
i want dolphins to win(not that I support them) so that at least our league can have incidences of away wins without violence.
but my head still says sharks gonna winit.
nigerian home advantage. grin
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Ficco(m): 2:12am On Nov 20, 2010
Which sea are these aquatic animals going to battle? And I think it's only the blue whale that can officiate this battle. Lest I forget, which part of the ocean are we staying to watch this match? Are we allowed to wear our swimming trunks? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Pharoh: 2:48am On Nov 20, 2010
OvieE:

try supersport.com

Thanks my guy, i know about super sport but they are asking me to link my dstv subscriber number with my account to watch the live streaming. I don't have that, i will just settle for the highlight.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by OvieE: 2:56am On Nov 20, 2010
Pharoh:

Thanks my guy, i know about super sport but they are asking me to link my dstv subscriber number with my account to watch the live streaming. I don't have that, i will just settle for the highlight.

Anytime
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by mrofficial(m): 3:05am On Nov 20, 2010
Lol. Rubbish league, streamed live by rubbish tv station, NTA.

For those of you that wants to watch the match live, go and by the StarTimes decoder, NTA has about 6 channels on it. NTA sports, NTA kids, NTA education, NTA 24/7 news, e.t.c. Abeg make i rest for this local league issue.

Funniest thing, Sharks and Dolphins. Abeg make una no kill me with laughter oooo. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by becomrich4: 5:21am On Nov 20, 2010
do they show it.
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by slap1(m): 6:33am On Nov 20, 2010
becomrich4:

do they show it.
Do you watch it?
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 20, 2010
I think Sharks will carry the day. Theey have the strenght and pace, even though i wish they can be more technical. kano Pillars play technical and calculative soccer but no pace
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by semid4lyfe(m): 8:38am On Nov 20, 2010
Kwara United vs Kano Pillars is also going to be on at the same time with this match.

Thats another cracker!
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by Shoolar(m): 11:03am On Nov 20, 2010
Who no know say SHARK go swallow DOLPHIN before! Joke apart, sharks fc will surely win dis match, bcoz in NPL na team wey dey for their home win d game while d away team will lose or draw. Na TRUE WORD my brother!!!
Re: Nigeria Premier League: Sharks Vs Dolphins On Saturday Nov 20 @ 4PM by johndavid1(m): 11:05am On Nov 20, 2010
OvieE:

http://www.supersport.com/video/video5.aspx?play=9141

http://www.supersport.com/video/video5.aspx?play=9140

http://www.supersport.com/video/video5.aspx?play=9139

http://www, com/index.php?topic=15284.0

try supersport.com

Na wa oh na so Nigerian leauge dey sweet this small highlights wey i just watch just dey make my head dey shake filled with action cool grin grin grin cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Germany. (Final) 24th August 2014. / Fans blast Raheem Sterling for calling Kelechi Iheanacho “uncle Kelechi” / Scuba Diving In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.