Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,426 members, 7,822,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? (13520 Views)

Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? / As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ? / How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by nxchanger: 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2010
To some, the name you bear is important and they believe it has/would have an effect on your destiny, while to others, you can bear anything you like as long as you work with focus, you'll surely get there.
I may not have facts about some other parts of the world but I know in some African countries and here in our great country, Nigeria, most parents this days are mindful of the kind of name they give to their children putting into consideration the meaning of the name.
You must have come across people who changed their names and you start wondering why.

Now I ask this humble forum, do you believe ones name has got anything to do with his/her destiny?
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Image123(m): 1:56pm On Nov 18, 2010
It is unto you (each individual) according to your faith.

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 03, 2013
yes it does. for a select. it is called nomen omen

http://dictionary.babylon.com/nomen_est_omen/
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by DEGREE2466(m): 10:25am On Nov 03, 2013
Yes it does have an effect either positively or negatively.

Take for instance a nickname given to someone by his friends. With time, consciously or unconsciously the person begins to behave in similarity to that name

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by drnairalov: 4:46pm On Nov 03, 2013
to some extent...well goodluck jonathan wud say yes to ur question.

3 Likes

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2013
Yes. I believe name speaks for a person. What you are named is what you stand for as a mark of identity.
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Lionbite(m): 4:49pm On Nov 03, 2013
Of course it determines for, example people named OLUSEGUN have a higher possibility that they will become governors/presidents e.g

Olusegun Obasanjo
Olusegun Mimiko
Olusegun Agagu e.t.c

7 Likes

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Goldenheart(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2013
That's is some crap buh its true...

Evidence in bible. (Jacobs sons)
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by habex050: 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2013
its tru ooohh
It affect in either way... I got a friend we nicknamed virus and he never does anything right.
Just as the name implies.
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2013
In Nigeria it does! That is why a shoe-less man bearing "Goodluck" becomes the president by luck!

Elsewhere? It doesn't!
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by skyscraperTM(m): 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2013
Nick: skyscraper
Tribal Name: Odunayo, Meaning: Year of joy.

English Name: Clement, Meaning: Merciful.

I GUESS IT DOES!!
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by xamiel: 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2013
Maybe
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by badmeat(m): 4:54pm On Nov 03, 2013
I don't know o!but I wonder why I'm BAD,
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 03, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Nick: skyscraper
Tribal Name: Odunayo, Meaning: Year of joy.

English Name: Clement, Meaning: Merciful.

I GUESS IT DOES!!
And how does it determine your destiny?
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by sobaemma(m): 4:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
yea it does,to nigeria goodluck is a gud example,in the bible jebeez prayed bitterly and ask God to change his name,jacob name was change form jacob to isreal,because the name affects his destiny,even in heaven God recognise the significant of name,lucifer,was named for his post in heaven,still on the name,GOD KNOWS VERY MUCH THAT UR NAME DETERMINES WHO U ARE,THAT IS WHY HE GIVE JESUS THE NAME ABOVE EVERY OTHER NAME THAT AT HIS NAME EVERY KNEEL MUST BOW,so its not all abt wot u believe,heaven,earth,hell knows ur name determines ur destiny

4 Likes

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by skyscraperTM(m): 5:00pm On Nov 03, 2013
Phder:
And how does it determine your destiny?
hmmmm, nice question, lemme swiftly ask google! grin
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by osifred(m): 5:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
Yes it does.
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by geolan(m): 5:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
A good example is ur president.........you knw his history and you obvious see he has good luck
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by horchukoh(m): 5:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
I dont think so if yes can you tell me the meaning of bill gates,aliko dangote,mark zuckerberg etc.

2 Likes

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 03, 2013
Yes everytin we all said is true. Your name matters but their are some like blessing,favour,etc and are unsuccessful that's why God need's you to pray and tell him that you need your name to follow you. Some people change their names.e.g ogadinma,chimezie,patience,endurance because they know the outcome of those names and also focus and determination also helps alot .don't say "my name is following me,so let me wait on God". Remember, Heaven help those who helps themselves.
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by Zeinymira(f): 5:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
Yes oooo!
If your name is Opeyemi,yu will sure have a good reason to be grateful every day
If your name is Olalekan,your wealth will increase every blessed day
buh if you are;
Bankole=bricklayer
Muyiwa=omo odo(house help)
Just joking.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by nwgoziri(m): 5:21pm On Nov 03, 2013
Names r powerful bt cn nt determine 1s destiny.
Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by hemartins(m): 5:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
It is true but not always true.

1 Like

Re: Does Your Name Determine Your Destiny? by prinzeepule(m): 5:34pm On Nov 03, 2013
dnt tink so.......buh name dey make u bhave as it sounds sha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire / Is It Ideal To Collect Change When Dropping Offering In Church? / COVID-19 Not Politically Motivated - Kumuyi Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.