Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,923 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? (8888 Views)

Theists Present The Evidence For Your Beliefs! / Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? / Are Your Feeling Hurt When Your Beliefs And Religion Are Criticised? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 10:27pm On May 03, 2012
How much impact does what you do/study/studied had on your beliefs, I am a Geologist and it has made me study the earth,its origin,how did life come etc so its had quite an impact on my beliefs and it has helped think on a saner level. I'll like to hear the opinion of the house...
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 10:44pm On May 03, 2012
mkmyers45: How much impact does what you do/study/studied had on your beliefs, I am a Geologist and it has made me study the earth,its origin,how did life come etc so its had quite an impact on my beliefs and it has helped think on a saner level. I'll like to hear the opinion of the house...
ahhh the wonders of geology. i remember studying about sedimentary igneous and metamorphic rocks in secondary school. loamy soil etc etc. what is geology about ? can you smell oil out from on top of the ground ? do you have a nose for oil ?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:52pm On May 03, 2012
I work in the area related to copyright.
This is associated with all types of musical, theatrical, film (including burlesque).
Exactly, I attended some time I saw a burlesque and a strip-tease, I became interested in the contours of that girl, and the creation of the human being was born ... I think my interest in religion.
The question was:
How could God create something so beautiful!
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 11:03pm On May 03, 2012
buzugee: ahhh the wonders of geology. i remember studying about sedimentary igneous and metamorphic rocks in secondary school. loamy soil etc etc. what is geology about ? can you smell oil out from on top of the ground ? do you have a nose for oil ?
Yes i do, i can smell it grin grin...has ur job affected your wanna-be-zionist stand?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 11:13pm On May 03, 2012
mkmyers45: Yes i do, i can smell it grin grin...has ur job affected your wanna-be-zionist stand?
No Sir. a job is just that, a job. just something to put food on the table. my foray into the truth is as a result of my deep pride and militancy. i just kept on wondering why the world is the way it was. why africa was a perpetual plunder of the west. why every product in the world was shipped to the west while the rest of us starved. why a race of people would enslave another race of people for 400 years. why i was percieved as an inferior being by like almost all the world. why why why why why ? dig ? constant battle between what i knew i was worth and what i was percieved as by society. thats what affected my beliefs. a job is just a job.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 11:21pm On May 03, 2012
buzugee: No Sir. a job is just that, a job. just something to put food on the table. my foray into the truth is as a result of my deep pride and militancy. i just kept on wondering why the world is the way it was. why africa was a perpetual plunder of the west. why every product in the world was shipped to the west while the rest of us starved. why a race of people would enslave another race of people for 400 years. why i was percieved as an inferior being by like almost all the world. why why why why why ? dig ? constant battle between what i knew i was worth and what i was percieved as by society. thats what affected my beliefs. a job is just a job.
hmmm...why?where? Whom? When? everyman's best friend..
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 11:23pm On May 03, 2012
mkmyers45: hmmm...why?where? Whom? When? everyman's best friend..
Yup. and i found all the answers, thanks to God. and i am now at peace with the world.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:40pm On May 03, 2012
I'm a businessman. I'm in the business of chopping my dad's money. Other than that, I've got two degrees in business. I'm an atheist

When you study marketing and psychology, you learn that religion is an effective tool for conditioning and brainwashing.

When you study business law, you find out that all laws come from experiences with transactions (both monetary and non-monetary) and not God. That's why the bible had no law on future contracts or mergers and acquisitions.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 11:42pm On May 03, 2012
logicboy: I'm a businessman. I'm in the business of chopping my dad's money. Other than that, I've got two degrees in business. I'm an atheist

When you study marketing and psychology, you learn that religion is an effective tool for conditioning and brainwashing.

When you study business law, you find out that all laws come from experiences with transactions (both monetary and non-monetary) and not God. That's why the bible had no law on future contracts or mergers and acquisitions.
what country do you live in ?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:43pm On May 03, 2012
buzugee: what country do you live in ?

UK and Naija
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 11:48pm On May 03, 2012
logicboy:

UK and Naija
6 months in UK 6 months in naija ?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:55pm On May 03, 2012
buzugee: 6 months in UK 6 months in naija ?

Something like that. Most Nigerians do that
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 12:01am On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

Something like that. Most Nigerians do that
sounds like the perfect life. a bit of both. best of both worlds.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 12:05am On May 04, 2012
buzugee: sounds like the perfect life. a bit of both. best of both worlds.

What fockin perfect life? Would I be travelling to UK if my country was ok?

I cant even be an atheist in my own bleeping country.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by buzugee(m): 12:19am On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

What fockin perfect life? Would I be travelling to UK if my country was ok?

I cant even be an atheist in my own bleeping country.
LOL it is what it is. you dont have to tell people you are an atheist. just keep it on a need to know basis.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 7:32am On May 04, 2012
Well I'm a part-time shrink (comes from reading alla my mum's psycho-babble books), and a part-time programmer. Now those are two fields that require you throw away blind faith and embrace logical reasoning. So, naturally, after hacking out some thousand lines of codes, and stripping the layers off people's minds and emotions to find out what makes 'em tick, I find myself refuting the idea of religion and master-plans.
Everybody's a wacko!
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:42am On May 04, 2012
No, you did not.
buzugee: Yup. and i found all the answers, thanks to God. and i am now at peace with the world.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:45am On May 04, 2012
You are damn right about that one. We all live in an insane world in which insanity has become the norm of living.
SimonAndal:
Everybody's a wacko!
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:22am On May 04, 2012
I am a Geological Engineer. . .

In the line of my studies, I got to understand the workings and intricacies of the Earth. from formation of land (due to vocanic activities), to the movement of the earths surface (Plate tectonics), to fossils (Paleontology), to carbon dating and other dating techniques and a shitload of things which I would usually attribute to GOD!!

I also got to understand that the geological earth is older than the biblical earth .

Well, I finally realized that we humans in our laziness to explore attribute everything in life that perplexes and confounds us to GOD! If we only took out the time to research and discover things indepthly, you would be amazed by the awesomeness of Nature.

1 Like

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by damilola15: 8:29am On May 04, 2012
One minute, I have to believe evolution and some abstract or some nonfigurative stuffs. The next, the oneness, divinity and omni-everything of a supernatural. Whatever, I don't think one affects the other, except I've got both intertwined without realising it.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 8:35am On May 04, 2012
BSc Chemical Engineering and MSc Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience. My strong science background contributed alot to my agnosticism because right from when I was very young, I had to know the reason for why and how things work than just believing what I am thought. I actually stopped attending church when I was in SS1(1996) because god stopped making sense to me and I have built my unbelieve since then. Funny, I never met an Athiest/Agnostic until I started my Bachelors in Unilag, so that tells you how deeply religious the country is because I was in my own world for atleast 3 years after I dropped religion.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by beblessed(f): 8:46am On May 04, 2012
i am a female geologist and i bet u it took awhile before i could reconcile religion and wat i studied. you need to be open minded and objective in your reasoning and allow God to help u.I hv read widely, was born an anglican, became a pentecostal etc... read all manner of books,ventured into another religion wink,but GOD opened my eyes and brought me back.if the true b said, there is a close link between the bible and what i learnt in geology.it was just our idea of what TIME really is. geologically, the earth is about 4.2 billion years old, but from the bible it can be calculated to b abt 6000 years. but remember that a thousand years to we humans is but a day to God. so do ur arithmetic.God speaks to different persons/people in different ways.For those who say he does not exist, i feel your loss.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jedisco(m): 8:54am On May 04, 2012
Medicine has really changed alot of my views about religion.
Among others, it has made me believe that women should be offered contraception and they should have a choice on whether or not to keep their babies.
It has made me see religion as a tool that if not properly utilized, can be used to put people in bondage.
It has made me not see the devil or juju as the cause of most diseases (esp mental diseases). It has made me see some churches, pastors and priests and just being there to milk naive people.

Most importantly, it has strengthened my belief in God. It has made me see God as the reason for my existence. It has given me the utmost reassurance within that God cares about me.
It has made me see medicine as not anti-religion but as a friend to religion

2 Likes

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by toysmall: 8:58am On May 04, 2012
ai!wozhendebuxiangde,gongzuoeryi.meibanfa.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 9:04am On May 04, 2012
beblessed: i am a female geologist and i bet u it took awhile before i could reconcile religion and wat i studied. you need to be open minded and objective in your reasoning and allow God to help u.I hv read widely, was born an anglican, became a pentecostal etc... read all manner of books,ventured into another religion wink,but GOD opened my eyes and brought me back.if the true b said, there is a close link between the bible and what i learnt in geology.it was just our idea of what TIME really is. geologically, the earth is about 4.2 billion years old, but from the bible it can be calculated to b abt 6000 years. but remember that a thousand years to we humans is but a day to God. so do ur arithmetic. God speaks to different persons/people in different ways.For those who say he does not exist, i feel your loss.
4.2billion years to human=4,200,000,000

a thousand years=1000

God human ratio, 1:1000

Meaning 4.2billion in the sight of god is 4,200,000,000/1000=4,200,000 years.

That is 4.2 million years which contradicts the bible's 6,000 years.

Your conversion of geological years of earth to its equivalent in the sight of god is not rational and too vague.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:06am On May 04, 2012
jedisco: Medicine has really changed alot of my views about religion.
Among others, it has made me believe that women should be offered contraception and they should have a choice on whether or not to keep their babies.
It has made me see religion as a tool that if not properly utilized, can be used to put people in bondage.
It has made me not see the devil or juju as the cause of most diseases (esp mental diseases). It has made me see some churches, pastors and priests and just being there to milk naive people.

Most importantly, it has strengthened my belief in God. It has made me see God as the reason for my existence. It has given me the utmost reassurance within that God cares about me.

Shey you see me for dream abi you don dey madt!!

Wetin concern Juju with malaria?!

Are you sure its not Native Doctor you read in the university that you are forming "medicine". angry
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:07am On May 04, 2012
2good:
4.2billion years to human=4,200,000,000

a thousand years=1000

God human ratio, 1:1000

Meaning 4.2billion in the sight of god is 4,200,000,000/1000=4,200,000 years.

That is 4.2 million years which contradicts the bible's 6,000 years.

Your conversion of geological years of earth to its equivalent in the sight of god is not rational and too vague.

I was just about to go there before you.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jedisco(m): 9:09am On May 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

Shey you see me for dream abi you don dey madt!!

Wetin concern Juju with malaria?!

Are you sure its not Native Doctor you read in the university that you are forming "medicine". angry

I can see you are one of the numerous jambites we have on NL.
I said it has made me NOT SEE
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:13am On May 04, 2012
jedisco:

I can see you are one of those numerous jambites on NL.
I said it has made me NOT SEE

Yoou dey madt gan!!

Na u be NECOite. . .

Instead of you to tell me say 'not' follow you just dey insult elder. Oya tell me sorry before I give you catarrh wey Actifed no fit cure. angry
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:20am On May 04, 2012
jedisco: Medicine has really changed alot of my views about religion.

It has made me see medicine as not anti-religion but as a friend to religion

So!!

Medicine has made you 'NOT' see juju nor the Devil as the cause of sicknesses and ailments but it has reaffirmed your faith in God. . Which means you believe that 'by his stripes, we are healed' and all that kind of stuff.

Simply put. .

You dont believe Satan can cause sicknesses and diseases but that Jesus can heal all sickness and diseases. . . Is their like a figure of speech hidden somewhere in that?!. . . . like an Oxymoron or sumtin?! undecided
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jedisco(m): 9:20am On May 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

Yoou dey madt gan!!

Na u be NECOite. . .

Instead of you to tell me say 'not' follow you just dey insult elder. Oya tell me sorry before I give you catarrh wey Actifed no fit cure. angry

Na u sabi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mention Few Common Practices Between Islam And Christianity. / The Matter Of Homosexuality / Observing Good Friday Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.