Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,154 members, 7,864,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:17 AM

Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person (810 Views)

God Cartoons — The First Pride Month ⬇️ / Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person / Ese Walter On Biodun Fatoyinbo Vs Busola Dakolo: I Have Never Felt More Proud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person by TundeKorede: 6:50am On Nov 17, 2019
Pride is the feeling that one is better or important than other people. It is the state of unreasonable conceit of one’s own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth position etc.

Throughout the scriptures, it is unequivocally written that God resists the pride but gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).

To be prideful is to be an enemy of God. Nobody enjoys the grace of God by being arrogant. Pride demotes people. No matter how high you have been placed, pride can bring you down.

Now, the problem many people have is that they don’t know they are proud. Many of them would have changed but they are unaware that some of their acts are prideful acts.

So, this article will open your eyes to the acts that depict pride. It will enable you to know the actions that are prideful in nature.

Also, you’ll be able to know those who are proud by reading this piece.

Six Reasons Why Gambling Is Not Good For You As A Christian

Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person

• Self-importance
Philippians 2:3
[3]Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let EACH ESTEEM OTHER BETTER THAN THEMSELVES

In other words, we are to highly rate others above us. No one should be found praising himself.

Through pride, you see yourself as being important than others. Self-importance is a proof of the presence of pride in you.

When you begin to see yourself as the only one who can make an organization work. Be careful!

Also, when you begin to see others as ineffective and incapable and you rate yourself above others. Be careful! It’s a proof of conceitedness.

Listen, without you that organization will work. Without you, others can make it. Don’t feel too important.

How To Erase Borrowing Mentality

• Inability To Apologize

Some people are too arrogant to the extent that they can’t apologize. You will know someone who is submissive by his/her ability to apologize.

Sadly, many Christians find it difficult to say “sorry” whenever they are at fault. As a matter of fact, they can’t own up where they are wrong.

Genesis 16:4, 9
[4]And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was DESPISED IN HER EYES.
[9]And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.

Hagar, Abram maidservant, got pregnant and she began to despise Sarai (the wife of Abram). Although, Hagar was at fault but she failed to apologize on time. At last, she was sent out of Abram’s house.

However, the angel commanded Hagar to go back and submit to Sarai, her mistress. This shows that God loves it when people are submissive to authorities.

Dear friend, you are conceited if you fail to apologize to people. If you are too big to say sorry, you are a proud person.

• Unwillingness To Take Corrections
Exodus 18:17,19,24
[17]And Moses’ father in law said unto him, The thing that thou doest is not good.
[19]Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God:
[24]So Moses hearkened to the voice of his father in law, and did all that he had said.

Moses was advised by his father-in-law and he listened to him. Moses didn’t reject his counsel because he was a Prophet who spoke mouth to mouth with God.

He was not pompous. The Bible described him as the meekest on the earth, then.

Although, Moses was a prophet and was powerfully anointed, he did not refuse to take godly corrections.

See, if you are too big to allow people to correct you. You are too proud. If you easily flare up when elderly people correct you. Be careful! Watch it and change.

Be flexible because it is too costly for one to be too rigid.

Daniel advised Nebuchadnezzar to change his ways and acknowledge God’s existence but he refused (Dan 4:25,27). What was his outcome? He became someone who lived like an animal.

Then, Nebuchadnezzar was too big to take corrections. So, he had himself to blame at the end.

• Total Dependency On One’s Strength
1 Samuel 2:9
[9]…for by strength shall no man prevail.

Denial of God’s power is another proof of pride. All the atheists of this world are proud. How on earth will you say there is no God?

Hear this, when you deny God’s power and rely solely on your strength, you will fail. And you do not need anyone to tell you that you are pompous.

In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path (Prov 3:6). David did this so many times. Before David went to war, he would ask for God’s direction.

He did this many times and I think that is one of the reasons why he never lost any battle. Read 1 Samuel 30:8 to 16, you will understand my point better.

Click: Four Ways To Identify False Prophets

• Inability To Ascribe Glory To God
Isaiah 42:8
[8]I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images..

Basically, God deserves to receive all the glory and honor. We must not praise ourselves.

Although, we might have worked to acquire all the things we have acquired. But glory must be given to God.

Please, read this carefully;

Acts 12:21-23
[21]And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.
[22]And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
[23]And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, BECAUSE HE GAVE NOT GOD THE GLORY: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

King Herod gave a speech and was praised for that mighty speech. Instead of Herod to give glory to God, he received everything and got elated. Herod was eaten up by worms for doing this.

Read this;
Get this right, Herod was not eaten up by worms because they eulogized him. But he was dealt with because he did not return glory unto God.

People may praise you and eulogize you for a job well done. But, don’t let it get into your head and forget to return glory to God. As people praise you for your usual wisdom, return glory to God.

Whereas, if you are the one who doesn’t give glory to God, you are proud.

All You Need To Know About Baptism

• Bragging About Your Success
Proverbs 27:2
[2]Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

Frankly, when you see a man who continually brags about his success story. You have just found a proud man. The Bible says, you should allow others to praise you.

Truly, don’t let foolish talk be found in your lips. Stop showboating your property and the things you have acquired. Stop talking about it. Do not be engrossed with its thought.

Luke 12:19
[19]And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

Try as much as possible not to talk like this foolish rich man. Because people who talk like this cannot live long.

Mind Your Business (See Why)

• Underestimation Of People
John 1:46
[46]And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

Nattanael concluded within himself that nothing good can come out of Nazareth. Why would you say that? Are you God?

Most of the time, we say things that can make people commit suicide. At times, we underestimate people who are not wealthy. We think they will never make it in life. This is an expression of pride.

See, if Naaman had underated that little slave girl that advised him. He wouldn’t have been healed.

Be humble, because it was Mordecai, an ordinary gatekeeper who rescued King Xerxes life. No matter how small a person is, value him.

Anybody can help you, don’t be too proud to underestimate those who are less-privileged.

Tips On How To Pray Well As A Christian

Hope this article has blessed your life? Let me know your thought in the comment section below.

Source: http://www.tundekorede.com/pride-seven-ways-to-know-if-you-are-proud/
Re: Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person by Kingdollar28(m): 6:53am On Nov 17, 2019
cool

Oga for this 9ja if u survive am,make money, u gats be proud of it

Las las if I later make heaven, I go even be more proud of ma self cool

1 Like

Re: Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person by Pchikaodili(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2019
These Bible verses teaches us about pride.
Pride leads to destruction, and arrogance to downfall.
PROVERB 16: 18

1 Like

Re: Pride: Seven Ways To Know If You Are A Proud Person by TundeKorede: 7:43am On Nov 17, 2019
Pchikaodili:
These Bible verses teaches us about pride.

Pride leads to destruction, and arrogance to downfall.

PROVERB 16: 18

Exactly, sir.

(1) (Reply)

Which Kind Dream Be This Self? / God Is Responsible For Corona Virus? Is He? / Did The Law Lack Power?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.