Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,271 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew (5912 Views)

Oliseh: "We Are The Most Poorly Equipped Technical Crew" / Is Efe Ambrose The New Finidi George? / Finidi George Is Mallorca’s Youth Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by wesley80(m): 10:52am On Nov 19, 2010
By Tolu Asaolu with Agency Reports
November 18, 2010 11:27PM 

A member of the all-conquering 1994 Super Eagles, Finidi George, has been appointed a member of the technical crew of his former club, Real Betis in Spain.

The right winger, who was at one time adjudged to be the best crosser of the ball, was officially presented on Wednesday as the new International Director for the Spanish club side. George would be working hand in hand with coach Pepe Mel.

One of his tasks will include scouting for players. He expressed delight at being recognised by the club where he played for four years, and expressed his readiness to start work. “It is an opportunity you (the club) gave me to join the technical body and I look forward to work to bring in good players,” he said. He went on to say he would use the opportunity of his global assess and profile to raise the club to greater heights. “I am going to focus on football outside Spain like Africa, Europe and other places where there are good players who can come to Betis,” he said. “I know the coach very well and I actually played with the assistant coach Roberto Rios and the trainer Jesus.”

His career

Finidi joined Real Betis in 1996 from Ajax, in a deal worth $7.6 million, scoring 38 goals in 130 appearances before moving on to Real Mallorca, and Ipswich Town, in the English Premier League, before ending his career at Real Mallorca. At Ajax, he cemented his place as a legend by providing many memorable assists. In that club, he scored 18 goals in 85 appearances. He started his career as a central midfielder with Sharks in Port Harcourt, joining his older brother, Alari George, before his skills drew the attention of national selectors. He then spent two seasons with Calabar Rovers before returning to Sharks in 1993. In Port Harcourt, where he grew up and began his career, he is most admired for his creativity in midfield; but it was as a winger that he gained global recognition for the accuracy of his crossing, which was even rated ahead of David Beckham and Luis Figo at his prime.

Dutchman Clemens Westerhof recognized this, and Finidi’s crosses brought out the best in Rashidi Yekini making the latter Nigeria’s all time top scorer. He has been living in Spain and is very fluent in Spanish and Dutch. At the national scene, he made a goal scoring international debut for Nigeria against Burkina Faso in a thrilling 7-1 defeat where he set up 3 goals, scoring the last after coming on for Austin Eguavoen at half time. He also scored twice in the World Cup qualifiers that secured Nigeria’s first ever qualification for the USA 94 FIFA World Cup. Finidi featured for Nigeria at the Senegal 92 (bronze), Tunisia 94 (gold and Cup,) Nigeria/Ghana 2000 (silver) and Mali 2002 (bronze).

He also represented Nigeria at the USA 1994 and France 98 World Cup and was vice-captain to Sunday Oliseh when the team qualified for the 2002 World Cup; but both of them were controversially omitted from the final squad. His goal against Greece is best remembered for his “dog” celebration and is often replayed.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5643915-146/real_betis_employ_finidi__.csp

When it rains, It pours. Its obviously raining on Nigerian sports both ways.
First Emenalo and now Finito. Yet again we blaze the trail for the rest of Africa to follow. The indomitable Spirit Of Naija (Sorry O, madam Dora ) in full display.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by honeric01(m): 12:16pm On Nov 19, 2010
This is a good news and i am praying that other Nigerians out there break in fame in the coaching world.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 19, 2010
The 1994 squad are excellent! Emenalo is now an assistant coach and Finidi joins the technical crew.Oh! I pray that many others will soon join the list.Whenever you throws a stone upwards,it must eventually fall back to you.The guys are receiving the reward for their devotion to the super eagles squad back in their days.I hope that the likes of Mikel learns from this.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by Ranoscky(m): 1:14pm On Nov 19, 2010
Welcome News.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by twinskenny(m): 1:19pm On Nov 19, 2010
good news
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by sayso: 1:21pm On Nov 19, 2010
naija all the way
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by Kennyblues(m): 1:41pm On Nov 19, 2010
Benstino:

The 1994 squad are excellent! Emenalo is now an assistant coach and Finidi joins the technical crew.Oh! I pray that many others will soon join the list.Whenever you throws a stone upwards,it must eventually fall back to you.The guys are receiving the reward for their devotion to the super eagles squad back in their days.I hope that the likes of Mikel learns from this.

Mikel haters, must you mention the lad's name in any footballing thread btw there are older player who have played before Mikel and now retired that you can make reference to, So please quit mentioning Mikel's name
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by martinosi: 1:42pm On Nov 19, 2010
Kanu will soon follow when he hangs up his boots,
If Arsene Wenger is still at Arsenal, he may take up a job there
probably.

As long as African players are doing well in Europe
the official coaching & management post
shall increase success breds success,
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by wesley80(m): 1:43pm On Nov 19, 2010
Benstino:

The 1994 squad are excellent! Emenalo is now an assistant coach and Finidi joins the technical crew.Oh! I pray that many others will soon join the list.

Very true. And when you add the likes of Stephen Keshi, Samson Siasia, Daniel Amokachi, Emmanuel Amuneke, and Ben Iroha, you begin to appreciate what Clemens Westerhorf did for Nigeria. Nigeria is feeding on the foundation laid by just one man that had a vision. On the other hand, u can also feel the impact of the wasted years of the likes of Vogts, Bora, Troussier and the rest ridiculous names i cant recall.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by FBS: 1:48pm On Nov 19, 2010
A wizard of the wings. I'm delighted. Congrats!!!
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by martinosi: 1:50pm On Nov 19, 2010
wesley80:

Very true. And when you add the likes of Stephen Keshi, Samson Siasia, Daniel Amokachi, Emmanuel Amuneke, and  Ben Iroha, you begin to appreciate what Clemens Westerhorf did for Nigeria. Nigeria is feeding on the foundation laid by just one man that had a vision. On the other hand, u can also feel the impact of the wasted years of the likes of Vogts, Bora, Troussier and the rest ridiculous names i cant recall.

So true,  i guess the cycle of change is true in life in every area.
The 1993 - 1996 school of Nigerian footballers are really proving that they had a Excellent Mentor (Westerhof) who taught them that Football is a Career on and off the field after you hang up your boots,
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by SSaemoenl(m): 2:05pm On Nov 19, 2010
Love that. cheesy Chains be broken!
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by alex406(m): 2:47pm On Nov 19, 2010
Wow i am so excited over this development.I hope more good news are coming our way in naija, (sorry madam Dora).
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by OAM4J: 2:52pm On Nov 19, 2010
Good development!

From Siasia to Oliseh, then Emenalo and now Finidi. . . more to come!
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by jamesugo: 2:58pm On Nov 19, 2010
More to come FOR SURE.
Many more to join the que
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by wesley80(m): 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2010
If only Okocha would stop clubbing and put himself to good use, perharps he might help us by replicating himself.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by lajjy(m): 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2010
wesley80:

If only Okocha would stop clubbing and put himself to good use, perharps he might help us by replicating himself.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@wesley80: But they is at least busy, CLUBBING OR COACHING -------- WORK IS WORK?
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by snowdrops(m): 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2010
wesley80:

guy can you gist me more. i am interested.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by vislabraye(m): 3:29pm On Nov 19, 2010
Finito deserves it. To me he' was the best Nigerian in the USA 94 period. A pity his playing career did not last long enough,but he was splendid
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by mbulela: 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2010
snowdrops:

what gist are you looking for?
Dat he is the owner (and runs) one of the better nite clubs in VI?
wesley80:

everybody must not be a coach or football administrator
every in european football, some followed other interests
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by dejiavu(m): 3:45pm On Nov 19, 2010
'94 Eagles squad still ever the best Naija ever produced. Well done.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by snowdrops(m): 4:03pm On Nov 19, 2010
mbulela:

what gist are you looking for?
Dat he is the owner (and runs) one of the better nite clubs in VI?

Excuse the sarcasm mister. I dont remember asking your opinion.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by wesley80(m): 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2010
snowdrops:

Lets leave gossip for folks in entertainment section.

mbulela:

everybody must not be a coach or football administrator
every in european football, some followed other interests

True word. Perharps he's following his heart by Clubbing his heart out who knows?.
But a player of his immense talent ought not to be too far from football. take the likes of Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Gullit, Hoddle , They've all stayed close to football and given back to the sport that brought them fame. These guys arent just popular but can be inspirations to aspiring footballers, they command so much respect in this field hence they have to stay close to the game. What purpose is Okocha serving in a club house? How much inspiration can he give in a clubhouse or how much respect can command?
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by omodapson(m): 4:22pm On Nov 19, 2010
@Wesley 80: Troussier was not a failure, NFA made him look like one. He qualified Nigeria effortlessly for the 1998 world cup with a match to spare only for NFA to kick him out.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by wesley80(m): 4:34pm On Nov 19, 2010
omodapson:

@Wesley 80: Troussier was not a failure, NFA made him look like one. He qualified Nigeria effortlessly for the 1998 world cup with a match to spare only for NFA to kick him out.  

Noted. But we are trying to compare him to a coach that has at least 8 of the talents he takes full credit for discovering becoming Grade One coaches (at least by Nigerian Standards). So how do they compare?
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by Mingler: 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2010
visit www.professionalsinnigeria.com to meet professionals fromall over Nigeria.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by gbengress1: 4:52pm On Nov 19, 2010
Congratulation my man,u worth it.May God guide u and lift u to greater height, Up Naija!hey sorry(cos of aunty dora's cane), Up Nigeria
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by johndavid1(m): 5:08pm On Nov 19, 2010
great! to hear dat
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by GTay(m): 5:38pm On Nov 19, 2010
Excellent News. He has always been regarded as a legend in Andalusia cool
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by GBT(m): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2010
The indomitable Spirit Of Naija (Sorry O, madam Dora ) in full display.

lol
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by belelikfin(m): 7:22pm On Nov 19, 2010
good for him, we need many more of this.
Re: Finidi George Joins Real Betis Technical Crew by asha80(m): 9:16pm On Nov 19, 2010
wesley80:

Lets leave gossip for folks in entertainment section.

True word. Perharps he's following his heart by Clubbing his heart out who knows?.
But a player of his immense talent ought not to be too far from football. take the likes of Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Gullit, Hoddle , They've all stayed close to football and given back to the sport that brought them fame. These guys arent just popular but can be inspirations to aspiring footballers, they command so much respect in this field hence they have to stay close to the game. What purpose is Okocha serving in a club house? How much inspiration can he give in a clubhouse or how much respect can command?

Not every former fooballer even great ones have much or even any attachment to the game after they have hung up there boots.Paolo Rossi is possibly one of the most deadly and famous strikers italy has ever produced but after he hung up his boots in 1985 he has been living a secluded life in italy and hardly grants interviews.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hilarious Luis Suarez Trolls / This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi / PES 18: Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 Release Date And Features

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.