Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,502 members, 7,850,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:22 AM

Being A Teenager In Nigeria Today (merits, Demerits & Everyday Battles) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Teenager In Nigeria Today (merits, Demerits & Everyday Battles) (497 Views)

American Tiktok Influencer Shares Her 'Glow Up' From A Baby To A Cute Teenager / Married At 13, Mother Of 8 At 27: How Enugu Teenager Finally Escaped A Hell. / Meet Fortune Ibe, The Tallest 15 -Year-Old Teenager In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being A Teenager In Nigeria Today (merits, Demerits & Everyday Battles) by Ladyauthentic(f): 4:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
Nigeria is one of the most diverse countries in Africa in terms of culture, religion and ethnicity but most characteristics are common to all teenagers. Some teenagers’ experiences can differ based on the social classes of their parents.
Talking to some of them, one would discover they all have different views and experiences of how their journeys to adulthood have been so far. Still most if not all of them have some common issues and experiences growing up.
Issues like sex, education, peer pressure, abuse of substance, low self-esteem etc.

Before we look at these issues, let’s discuss the fact that being a teenager also comes with its numerous advantages.

One of the major advantages of being a teenager is being very young.
As an adult, have you ever looked at your pictures growing up and wished you could turn back the time, just so you could feel as good and look as better as you did back then? Those times when everything was still “pointed” for a lady and “vibrant” for a guy (you know what I mean lol), when you didn’t need to supplement to feel better or look better.

“I love being a teen because you don't have all the responsibilities of an adult yet.” - Elizabeth Gillies

Another is the excitement they feel just discovering themselves, the prospect of meeting or falling in love, the prospect and the freedom to choose any path in life they want as it pertains to education, job, where, how and with whom to settle down. Also the fact that most of the wrong decisions they make at this stage in life can still be corrected without major deficit. All these can be exciting as they get to discover and explore their personalities.

“When you are in your teenage years you are consciously experiencing everything for the first time, so adolescent stories are all beginnings. There are never any endings.” -Aidan Chambers

They take decisions without thinking much about the consequences; living life uninhibited. For teenagers, it’s fun, fun and fun. They mostly don’t need to work to earn but majorly receive gifts and allowances from parents and relatives. They are not concerned with the bill payment.

“I’m a teenager and love being allowed to dream. My fate is not yet set and my path can go anywhere from here. That makes me feel very free. I don’t bother to spend so much time being grateful that I don’t have to pay bills and all the responsibilities that comes with growing up.”- Anonymous.

The advantages are innumerable for this page to contain them all.
However, as numerous as the advantages abound, so do issues come with being a teenager.

It is a stage where they are no longer children, yet not adults. At this stage, it can be difficult for them as they try to understand themselves. This can be accompanied with lots of mood swings, trying to find their voices, defiance to parents’ guardianship etc. Talk about all the hormonal changes which many of them might not react to in a safe and healthy way. It is indeed a period of emotional, psychological and social maturation.
Teens want to explore and experiment. They are more likely to engage in behaviors that could cause serious consequences, such as

i. Having unsafe sex
ii. Constant fights
iii. Reckless driving
iv. The need to be heard which could result in rude behavior if not managed properly.
v. Violence.
Unfortunately, they are more susceptible to
i. Rape
ii. Unplanned pregnancy
iii. Low self esteem
iv. Peer pressure etc.
v. Abuse

Tips:
to be continued...

Let's hear your views on the numerous advantages and personal experiences of your teenage years.

Re: Being A Teenager In Nigeria Today (merits, Demerits & Everyday Battles) by Drince: 4:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
Truth

1 Like

Re: Being A Teenager In Nigeria Today (merits, Demerits & Everyday Battles) by TheMohican(m): 10:11pm On Apr 14, 2020
Uncontrollable konji is the main thing g
Re: Being A Teenager In Nigeria Today (merits, Demerits & Everyday Battles) by Caleb15(m): 7:19pm On Jan 23
That last pic is the result

(1) (Reply)

Learn this lucrative skill during lockdown and start earning after the lockdown / Enhance Fore Play : Check This Out / Thing Missing At Home, But Already Know You Took It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.