Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,844 members, 7,851,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. (20196 Views)

LAWMA Seals Alaba Rago Market. / LAWMA Seals Shops And Plazas At Ogudu-ojota Road Over Dumping Of Waste On Roads / LAWMA Shuts Sangotedo Market: Warns Markets Against Illegal Dumping Of Refuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by mmsen: 3:06am On Nov 22, 2019
Good.

Market traders in Nigeria are some of the most ill disciplined people you will meet. They like mess and chaos too much.

Nigeria needs to ban all roadside trading for the time being. Ensure that only those within tte market structures are trading and have permits.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by ppogba: 4:48am On Nov 22, 2019
I am beginning to wonder whether there is a relationship between being on the social media (instagram, twitter etc) and having sense. This is because the people who seem to have a voice with thru these media do not seem to say things that are reasonable.

The waste management authority saddled with a responsibility shut down a market and someone is asking whether the government has the power.

When anything happens in Naija, the first thing people ask is "do they have the power?

Babcock expel-----do they have the power?
Edo poly expel-----do they have the power?
Govt shuts down a market for being dirty---do they have the power?

It is safe to say people make use of the word power without actually knowing what it means.

Unfortunately, people forming tiger on social media are milder than a pussycat in their places of work.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by Unrated900(m): 5:44am On Nov 22, 2019
Lawma we need you to come to jankara market here in ijaye

The level of stupidity and foolishness of this jankara spare parts sellers is on the high side

The entire T junctions that comes into the market street is too dirty irritating

They will park every cars on the government road

When you tell them this place is always dirty

They will reply you is government and Ebenezer police station not collecting money from them

One will be in the traffic from ijaye to jankara because they parked their trucked and cars on the main road

Everyone in this axis are tired

If not that Ambode was removed this would have been an ojokoro general hospital

Lawma please come and inspect your self

People
Are tired of their local menace
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 7:41am On Nov 22, 2019
9jaRealist:

These market are effectively organized as 'cooperatives'...

They have a market association which deals with the govt...
This market association is also supposed to be contracting with the PSPs).

The association levies each trader for PSP (and other charges)...
The relationship with the market is thus handled as ONE entity, not 100s of individuals.
>
So the closure is justified? or what is your point?

I really do not get the meaning of this?
Who OWNS the market?
Markets serve the public and the public suffer when they are shut down
If the market do not or cannot organize themselves then government should clean it and levy them

There is no justification in punishing the local residents many of whom may not have affordable alternatives

If the place is not suitable for a market it should move but it is a public space and the ulttimate responsibility is with the government
I really do not know why we insist on complicating simple things

By the way I do not know what you mean by cooperative or the the relevance of all the stuff you have written
The local government should clean the market and charge them. for it
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bossvinqualad25(m): 10:22am On Nov 22, 2019
They should invite prolific giant cleaning services to come do the cleaning for them we are up to the task, check my signature
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 11:30am On Nov 22, 2019
bossvinqualad25:
They should invite prolific giant cleaning services to come do the cleaning for them we are up to the task, check my signature

Are they a PSP?
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bossvinqualad25(m): 1:39pm On Nov 22, 2019
naptu2:

Are they a PSP?
we are a cleaning company that is poised on making our environment a better place
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 1:51pm On Nov 22, 2019
bossvinqualad25:
we are a cleaning company that is poised on making our environment a better place

The system in Lagos at the moment is that there is a public-private partnership scheme in place.

Private sector participants (PSP) register with the government and the government assigns a district or districts to them. The PSP operators are in charge of waste collection/disposal in their assigned districts. The PSP operators give residents/businesses a bill, the residents/businesses pay at the bank and the government and PSP operators share the proceeds.

Businesses (including markets) can select the PSP operator of their choice.

One of the reasons given for shutting the market is that they have not selected a PSP operator of their choice and they have not paid their LAWMA bill.

So, you probably have to register as a PSP in order to be able to help them.

This is a link to a list of registered PSPs.

https://www.lawma.gov.ng/psp-directory/
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bigtt76(f): 2:24pm On Nov 22, 2019
Concession the markets to the private sector to manage and see how it would be mordernized and run successfully. All these shutting down each time will not help anyone.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 2:29pm On Nov 22, 2019
bigtt76:
Concession the markets to the private sector to manage and see how it would be mordernized and run successfully. All these shutting down each time will not help anyone.

Unfortunately, they did that with Tejuosho, Sura, etc. and were condemned for it (it's too expensive, it's a means to steal money, etc https://www.nairaland.com/412929/fashola-accused-tejuosho-market-scam-a#5688235 ), so what they did was to let the market associations run the markets (I guess they are also part of the private sector).
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bigtt76(f): 2:57pm On Nov 22, 2019
Hmmmm! Yea the market associations are private but they tend to be skewed politically (well even the concessions will be skewed too) and also they might not have the required expertise to manage the sanity of the market. We too like wahala shaaa .....I don taya sef.

Please does anyone know if they've resolved and will operate tomorrow? undecided

naptu2:

Unfortunately, they did that with Tejuosho, Sura, etc. and were condemned for it (it's too expensive, it's a means to steal money, etc https://www.nairaland.com/412929/fashola-accused-tejuosho-market-scam-a#5688235 ), so what they did was to let the market associations run the markets (I guess they are also part of the private sector).
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 3:01pm On Nov 22, 2019
bigtt76:
Hmmmm! Yea the market associations are private but they tend to be skewed politically (well even the concessions will be skewed too) and also they might not have the required expertise to manage the sanity of the market. We too like wahala shaaa .....I don taya sef.

Please does anyone know if they've resolved and will operate tomorrow? undecided

The leaders of the associations are usually elected by the traders, but I remember that there was a thread (years ago) about some traders that were protesting that the government wanted to impose new leaders on them, instead of the leaders that they elected.

I don't know if it has been resolved. This (that the market has been shut) is the most recent information that I have on the issue.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bossvinqualad25(m): 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2019
naptu2:

The system in Lagos at the moment is that there is a public-private partnership scheme in place.

Private sector participants (PSP) register with the government and the government assigns a district or districts to them. The PSP operators are in charge of waste disposal in their assigned districts. The PSP operators give residents/businesses a bill, the residents/businesses pay at the bank and the government and PSP operators share the proceeds.

Businesses (including markets) can select the PSP operator of their choice.

One of the reasons given for shutting the market is that they have not selected a PSP operator of their choice and they have not paid their LAWMA bill.

So, you probably have to register as a PSP in order to be able to help them.

This is a link to a list of registered PSPs.

https://www.lawma.gov.ng/psp-directory/
thanks so much for this beautiful information
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2019
A market is not a legal person especially the kinds of markets that we have in Nigeria in the same way that Shoprite is a legal person.
All the verbiage is unhelpful.
The local government should have the authority to APPOINT a PSP if the traders cannot or will not choose a PSP and then enforce collection
It is not only the traders that suffer but poor people
Systems must be servants of the people and not the other way round
If a system is not working then it is not fit for purpose and should be reviewed
We have an unfortunate tendency to become slaves to system that do not work or which are counter productive and then talk as if Almighty God decreed those systems into existence
The government need to consider whether the location is appropriate for a market of that kind or build a modern market that is affordable
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bigtt76(f): 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2019
Sad o! I just got back from the market now. There are lockup stalls there and a basement either for car par or something available to the traders to trade but we Africans, we like trading in the open. No sooner had the Lagos State environmental agents left than they continue on the streets. I guess they were well settled cheesy

naptu2:

The leaders of the associations are usually elected by the traders, but I remember that there was a thread (years ago) about some traders that were protesting that the government wanted to impose new leaders on them, instead of the leaders that they elected.

I don't know if it has been resolved. This (that the market has been shut) is the most recent information that I have on the issue.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 2:04am On Nov 25, 2019
0monnak0da:

So the closure is justified? or what is your point?

I really do not get the meaning of this?
Who OWNS the market?
Markets serve the public and the public suffer when they are shut down
If the market do not or cannot organize themselves then government should clean it and levy them

There is no justification in punishing the local residents many of whom may not have affordable alternatives

If the place is not suitable for a market it should move but it is a public space and the ulttimate responsibility is with the government
I really do not know why we insist on complicating simple things

By the way I do not know what you mean by cooperative or the the relevance of all the stuff you have written
The local government should clean the market and charge them. for it

This is akin to saying that if a non-doctor sets up a clinic, government shouldn’t shut it down because it’s “punishing” local residents...
The rule is that each market association retain PSPs to clean the market, if these folks refuse to follow the rules they DESERVE punishment.

Public health is NOT a joke, and affects the GREATER SOCIETY one way or another...
Sadly, so many Nigerians are used to patronizing FILTHY markets (food placed on floors, meat covered in flies, etc) and think it ‘normal’! SMH
>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 3:36am On Nov 25, 2019
9jaRealist:

This is akin to saying that if a non-doctor sets up a clinic, government shouldn’t shut it down because it’s “punishing” local residents...
The rule is that each market association retain PSPs to clean the market, if these folks refuse to follow the rules they DESERVE punishment.

Public health is NOT a joke, and affects the GREATER SOCIETY one way or another...
Sadly, so many Nigerians are used to patronizing FILTHY markets (food placed on floors, meat covered in flies, etc) and think it ‘normal’! SMH
>
Your logic is bizarre
Firstly there is no law that says only doctors can set up "clinics".
Anyone can set up a clinic if they comply with the law
If the clinic is set up legally then it should not be shut down
Clinics are PRIVATE businesses. Oyingbo market is a public market
Your analogy is crazy

Who owns the market
Was it set up illegally

Are you from Lagos?
If you do not know find out who owns the market before you start talking rubbish.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 4:15am On Nov 25, 2019
0monnak0da:
Your logic is bizarre
Your analogy is crazy

Who owns the market
Was it set up illegally

Are you from Lagos?
If you do not know find out who owns the market before you start talking rubbish.

The market was not set up "illegally" (a word I NEVER used)...
But the regulations is that market association retain PSPs for waste management.

Accordingly, if this market failed to do so, they DESERVE the punishment...
It's no different from a properly set-up clinic being shut down for disobeying the rules governing its operation.

DAMN! Some Nigerians are laws are like water and oil! SMH
>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 4:22am On Nov 25, 2019
0monnak0da:
Your logic is bizarre
Your analogy is crazy

Who owns the market
Was it set up illegally

Are you from Lagos?

If it is a PUBLIC facility....
Why the b*tching when government decides to close its own facilities? grin

Anyway, a market is NOT just a space...
But the operations itself, and those are PRIVATE enterprises.

The PRIVATE use of PUBLIC facilities comes with rules/regulations...
If the "tenants" cannot obey such rules, they DESERVE to be punished accordingly. SMH
>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 4:23am On Nov 25, 2019
>
GOOD MOVE LASG...
PLEASE EXTEND IT TO ALL THE OTHER FILTHY MARKETS!

EKO ONI BAJE!!

>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 4:26am On Nov 25, 2019
9jaRealist:

If it is a PUBLIC facility....
Why the b*tching when government decides to close its own facilities? grin

Anyway, a market is NOT just a space...
But the operations itself, and those are PRIVATE enterprises.

The PRIVATE use of PUBLIC facilities comes with rules/regulations...
If the "tenants" cannot obey such rules, they DESERVE to be punished accordingly. SMH
>
The issue is about those affected .
"government" is not an abstraction it is there for the people so government does not own stuff for spirits but for the people

Guy no vex o but please stop quoting me

You are not very bright and you really are a waste of my time
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 4:27am On Nov 25, 2019
9jaRealist:

The market was not set up "illegally" (a word I NEVER used)...
But the regulations is that market association retain PSPs for waste management.

Accordingly, if this market failed to do so, they DESERVE the punishment...
It's no different from a properly set-up clinic being shut down for disobeying the rules governing its operation.

DAMN! Some Nigerians are laws are like water and oil! SMH
>
Goodluck and bye bye
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 4:31am On Nov 25, 2019
0monnak0da:

The issue is about those affected .
"government" is not an abstraction it is there for the people so government does not own stuff for spirits but for the people

Guy no vex o but please stop quoting me

You are not very bright and you really are a waste of my time

I ignore personal insults and attacks...
It merely betrays a lack of substance and a CRUDE upbringing.

Government does (or should) not exist for a small group, but for the generality of the population...
If the actions of a small group is putting the general population at risk, the government is RIGHT to act!
>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 0monnak0da: 4:33am On Nov 25, 2019
9jaRealist:

I ignore personal insults and attacks...
It merely betrays a lack of substance and a CRUDE upbringing.

Government does (or should) not exist for a small group, but for the generality of the population...
If the actions of a small group is putting the general population at risk, the government is RIGHT to act!
>
Are you done talking.............

We are done move on
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by 9jaRealist: 4:34am On Nov 25, 2019
0monnak0da:
Goodluck and bye bye

LEARNING is a lifelong enterprise...
Glad that I could help you in that regard.

Bye Felicia!
grin
>
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 5:00am On Nov 25, 2019
I wonder why some people waste their time.
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 5:01am On Nov 25, 2019
bigtt76:
Sad o! I just got back from the market now. There are lockup stalls there and a basement either for car par or something available to the traders to trade but we Africans, we like trading in the open. No sooner had the Lagos State environmental agents left than they continue on the streets. I guess they were well settled cheesy

Which market, Oyingbo or another market?
Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by bigtt76(f): 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2019
Oyingbo market naaaa cheesy

naptu2:

Which market, Oyingbo or another market?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 3:52am On Nov 28, 2019
LAGOS MAINLAND LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEWS
OYINGBO MARKET UPDATE

..... Local Government Boss addresses issues.

..... Promise to work with Market stakeholders to get market re-open.

The Executive Chairman of Lagos Mainland Local Government, Hon. Mrs Omolola R. Essien, on Tuesday 26th Nov 2019 discussed, sympathized and warned market men and women in Oyingbo area of the council to desist from street trading, selling and keep their environment clean or face sanctions.

Hon. Essien gave the warning on the back of the locked oyingbo market at a meeting with the market men and women, she emphasized on the state of the environment which is not yet in accordance with the rules of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority ( LAWMA)

The chairman, who addressed the stakeholders in Yoruba language, said she had visited the market at least three times and always met it dirty.

She said the local government will try its best to get the market opened for business very soon but the market men and women all have huge roles to play to enable the market remain open afterwards.

Hon. Omolola Essien said any offender caught will henceforth be punished, as she would not listen to pleas from anybody.

Council treasurer, Mr Karounwi Rufai further buttressed the LGA boss point . He said "the state of the environment has become a big issue to the government and It is better for us to curb it now before it gets out of hand.

Reported by:
Toheeb A Dada
Chief Press secretary
Lagos Mainland LGA

https://www.facebook.com/100000073225635/posts/2935606853118393/

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 3:53am On Nov 28, 2019
More

Re: LAWMA Shuts Oyingbo Market. by naptu2: 3:58am On Nov 28, 2019
End.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Fast Moving Good(s) Does The Nigerian Market Need? / Nigeria Trade Balance Turns Positive In Q4 As Exports Jump / Union Bank Sells UK Subsidiary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.