Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,940 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Dog Training And Socialization - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dog Training And Socialization (6634 Views)

Tips On English Dog Training / Beautiful Pictures From The KCR Dog Training Exhibition 2021 / Technique To Dog Training By Talking To Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 2:28pm On Nov 22, 2019
"Dog is Man's best friend".
I'm sure most of us have heard that phrase more times than we care to hear and for the dog lovers get to experience that feeling. And when you truly bond with your dog, it's a feeling that's hard to explain.

For those who frequent the pets section of nairaland like me, you'll noticed that the highest percentage of posts are of dog sales. "Breeders" with different breeds of dogs trying to sell off pups to new homes, and everyday we see these pups have new homes. However, is it the right home?

This is going to be a dog training and socialization thread but I feel I have to talk about "choosing the right dog" first because it is linked to the topic.

Here in Nigeria (can only talk of Nigeria because it's where I've done my research) most people go for certain breeds because of the wrong reasons. Some go for it because of its beauty, some because a friend recommended it, some because they also want to breed and that's what will yield the highest price. Some because they want to feel manly. Some because it's what is left of what the breeder has. If any of the above is your sole reason, you are wrong.

The choice of a dog begins with you. Getting a pup is like getting a baby, and we know what happens when an irresponsible parent is in charge of a baby.

So what are some of the things you need to assess about yourself before getting a dog.

1) Your Personality.
Your personality should be the first thing you consider before getting a dog. Are you an active person? Or do you prefer quiet time at home lounging on the sofa?
If you are an active person, then certain breeds wouldn't be a problem to you as you have the active life to properly engage the pup in training and socialization. It would be very wrong for a laid back person or first time owner with no experience at all to get a Belgian Malinois.

2)Space and Environment
I once read a post here of a breeder advising a buyer to get his Caucasian shepherd pup on the grounds that it would be good indoors. If the buyer had done his research on the pup and the type of environment it would need to strive, he wouldn't have fallen for it.
What is the use of buying a greyhound if you don't have a big yard for it to run? Or getting a German Shepard when you stay an apartment.
Fun fact: Greyhounds are one of the fastest land animals on earth. Top 10 in fact!

3)Your Pocket
This should actually be last. Yes most of the breeds we have now are expensive, unless you plan on getting an ekuke. Only after evaluating yourself should you then look at the amount you would need in getting the pups.
Even though this is the last, it is also very important as it expands into other aspect like the feeding, medical care and other miscellaneous.

These are just some of the things you should consider. You are free to drop more in the comments. If you follow the self evaluation, you would have cut through so many potholes that would come up when you start training and socializing your dog.

If also want to get a dog and you would like to know the breed that would be perfect for you,you can drop your comments so we can all rub minds and get the perfect dog for your home.

Next write up would be on dog socialization and the need for it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by pejuakinab: 2:25pm On Nov 24, 2019
Nice piece, I'm a first timer, just got a 6 weeks old rot and I'm trying to cope with d dog.
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2019
pejuakinab:
Nice piece, I'm a first timer, just got a 6 weeks old rot and I'm trying to cope with d dog.

Nice. Happy for you. It's always adviceable though to pick up pups after 8 weeks. They pick up necessary socialization tips from their siblings and mom.

Take for example, some people complain about mouthing from their pups. Mouthing is when your dog plays extremely with persons with its mouth without knowing it is painful. It is advisable to stop this because they may do so with a child and it could lead to injuries.
If they had spent enough time with their siblings (7 - 9 weeks) they would pick up things like not mouthing. Pups play a lot at a young age. When he plays with his siblings and he bites playfully but painfully, the other pup will give a little doggy shout to show that that was painful. Sometimes, they give return bites. He takes this information with him even after leaving his siblings.

These are all part of dog socialization.

If you need tips to correct behaviours in your dog, you could drop them here.

Again, congrats on getting your dog.

6 Likes

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 9:27am On Nov 25, 2019
Most dog owners don't even understand what dog training is, talk more of socialization. They believe the work is done as soon as they get their pup. No socialization, no training, no walks, dog chained or crated all the time and they are surprised when the dog start acting out.

Socialization of a pup starts from when it is still with its mum and siblings. When I talk to people who are about to get a pup, the first advice I give them is to pick the pup 8 weeks after birth. There is a reason for this which will be discussed below. No breeder who has the interest of his pups at heart will release the pups to you before 8 weeks not matter how much the pups go for.

The first formative years of a pup is within those first 8 weeks. There are valuable lessons they learn from their siblings and mum that would go with them even after leaving the pack. This is where they pick up their first socialization lesson. Cases of dogs who mouth are often traced back to them leaving the pack before those 8 formative weeks.

Socialization on your end should start immediately you get your pup (after 8 weeks). This means interacting you dog with people(could start with family and friends), things (vacuum cleaner, generator, etc), other dogs (this is very important to prevent your dog from being dog aggressive). This way you bring them in contact with things they would meet everyday when you eventually start taking them out for walks. One of the reasons why dogs pull on their leash while walking is because they have been caged or locked up in the house for so long have no knowledge of the various sensation they are now feeling when you walk them, hence the pulling. This can be prevented by socializing them from a young age.

The reason for doing all these is to prevent your dog from being aggressive (we will delve into this in the training write up because this word has been misused a lot) at certain stage in their lives.

Next write up will be on training you pup (the when, the why, the what and the how)

2 Likes

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by babsyilu2016(m): 8:51pm On Nov 25, 2019
Want to do this business.. Any one who can be of help. Straight minded person and honest 08101662607
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 11:06am On Nov 29, 2019
babsyilu2016:
Want to do this business.. Any one who can be of help. Straight minded person and honest 08101662607

Good morning,
If you feel you have a legit business that people can benefit from, it would be adorable that you open a new thread. This thread is about dog socialization and training and the section is pet.
Do well to go to business section

3 Likes

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 11:25am On Nov 29, 2019
Like I stated in my previous write-up, socialization should start immediately you get your pup (again after 8 weeks). The next training your pup should start up on immediately after the potty training should be basic obedience training. For those who don't know what this means, basic obedience training means teaching your pup basic commands like sit, stay and come. With time this will include the watch me, quiet and other simple commands.

People's opinion on when to start this training differ (based on preference or the further training you hope to give your dog), but I prefer to start from the 10 week. It gives the pup time to get used to its new environment and be ready to receive commands.

This training should be the first your dog receives as it acts as a prerequisite for any future training you hope to give your dog. Remember to make the training fun and not to exceed more than 20 mins per session. Even if you pup doesn't get it, do not show frustration. You could have like three sessions of 20 mins each a day. The key is consistency.

Over time I'll be dropping write-ups on how to go about this trainings. I'll start with the Basic Obedience and each will be properly detailed on what to do. I believe videos are helpful and would look for ways to incorporate that into the tutorials.

1 Like

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by ojayone(m): 11:49am On Nov 29, 2019
Hello Ops,

I need help as well, I am a first-timer, I have a pedigree caucasian which I picked up 3 months after birth. the dog is now 6 months and turns very big. The issue is, the dog behaves unruly, mouthing. He loves to play with my kids, but his act always scares my 1-year-old boy, caus he wants to always jump on him which I always ensure the dog is chain whenever my kids are out, so I can control him. The dog never obeys the instruction. the only thing he knows is when you ask him to sit, and he only obeys if you have food with you. I tried several times to putty train him after watching so many youtube videos but failed, he did it at a certain location and won't change.

I resulted in serious beating as advice by a friend, I notice the dog has stop jumping at me when he sees me of recent, but whenever I asked my kid to come out and play with him, he immediately starts jumping on the boy. since the dog came in, my kids are not allowed to play in the compound, this I am not ok with. sincerely speaking I am thinking of letting the dog go if nothing change before december. The dog is getting bigger and I am afraid it will get to a stage I wont be able to control him again, though it seems he fears only me, but what of others?.

Please I need your advice on way to go
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Equado(m): 12:55pm On Nov 29, 2019
ojayone:
Hello Ops,

I need help as well, I am a first-timer, I have a pedigree caucasian which I picked up 3 months after birth. the dog is now 6 months and turns very big. The issue is, the dog behaves unruly, mouthing. He loves to play with my kids, but his act always scares my 1-year-old boy, caus he wants to always jump on him which I always ensure the dog is chain whenever my kids are out, so I can control him. The dog never obeys the instruction. the only thing he knows is when you ask him to sit, and he only obeys if you have food with you. I tried several times to putty train him after watching so many youtube videos but failed, he did it at a certain location and won't change.

I resulted in serious beating as advice by a friend, I notice the dog has stop jumping at me when he sees me of recent, but whenever I asked my kid to come out and play with him, he immediately starts jumping on the boy. since the dog came in, my kids are not allowed to play in the compound, this I am not ok with. sincerely speaking I am thinking of letting the dog go if nothing change before december. The dog is getting bigger and I am afraid it will get to a stage I wont be able to control him again, though it seems he fears only me, but what of others?.

we have similar experience, my male is extremely nervous around strangers, he barks and retrieves. He's very scared of me, I have beaten him severally. He obeys commands only when he feels like, I done tire
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Greenarrow01(m): 2:35pm On Nov 29, 2019
ojayone:
Hello Ops,

Caucasians are naturally stubborn.
Mine is a good quality dog from jos too.
When I couldn't try to train him my self for 6 months.. I called in a trainer.
He started his training last week.. And I can observe that wlhe is now more calm and obedient.. He has met other dogs from the trainers kennel.
The training will be for two weeks.
I wish I can just add more days.. So he can be more properly trained.
I will advice you to get a trainer.
Sometimes YouTube videos ain't enough.
A trainer understands dogs language.. He communicates with them in his language.. And they learn faster. He is experienced you know.
I paid 20k for mine.
Boy has never barked or charged at strangers before.. But just two days into his training..man has improved.. And already started charging at intruders
Pls do upload your dogs pics.. I will like to see what it looks like
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by ojayone(m): 5:58pm On Nov 29, 2019
You right thanks for your taught. Please where is your trainer located I stay in abuja.

The dog is so playful I cant really take full picture in peace, but I attached one I managed to take recently. He us just six month just started growing new set if tooths

Greenarrow01:

Caucasians are naturally stubborn.
Mine is a good quality dog from jos too.
When I couldn't try to train him my self for 6 months.. I called in a trainer.
He started his training last week.. And I can observe that wlhe is now more calm and obedient.. He has met other dogs from the trainers kennel.
The training will be for two weeks.
I wish I can just add more days.. So he can be more properly trained.
I will advice you to get a trainer.
Sometimes YouTube videos ain't enough.
A trainer understands dogs language.. He communicates with them in his language.. And they learn faster. He is experienced you know.
I paid 20k for mine.
Boy has never barked or charged at strangers before.. But just two days into his training..man has improved.. And already started charging at intruders
Pls do upload your dogs pics.. I will like to see what it looks like

1 Like

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Greenarrow01(m): 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2019
ojayone:
You right thanks for your taught. Please where is your trainer located I stay in abuja.

The dog is so playful I cant really take full picture in peace, but I attached one I managed to take recently. He us just six month just started growing new set if tooths

Sorry j stay in Kaduna state.. Zaria.
But look around.. Ask vets.. They will tell you if a trainer is available close to you.
Your dog is growing.. And looks good
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by ojayone(m): 8:05am On Dec 01, 2019
Greenarrow01:

Sorry j stay in Kaduna state.. Zaria.
But look around.. Ask vets.. They will tell you if a trainer is available close to you.
Your dog is growing.. And looks good

Yesterday, I tried to convince my children to play with the dog. You can see the fear in them. The dog is that calm because I have a slippers with me and he knows I will thrash him if he misbehave. Even with this when my daughter run inside to pick my call he still run after her before I intervene and chase him out.

But I think there is progress.

I went to a vet to look for a trainer. The very just saying I have to train him myself.

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Greenarrow01(m): 8:27am On Dec 01, 2019
ojayone:

Yesterday, I tried to convince my children to play with the dog. You can see the fear in them. The dog is that calm because I have a slippers with me and he knows I will thrash him if he misbehave. Even with this when my daughter run inside to pick my call he still run after her before I intervene and chase him out.

I went to a vet to look for a trainer. The very just saying I have to train him myself.

You have to allow him play with them ... That running is just excitement . don't hold slippers.. Dont best him. It doesn't make sense.. He knows those kids are playing with them.
Allow them to play with him.. Running and co.
This way..they blend.. Pls dont make the mistake of your kids been scared of the dog.
It won't make sense..when he grows.
How old is your son.. You should ensure your son takes the dog out on walk.. Supervised thou. Allow him train the dog. Even when d dog tries to bite.. He knows what's he is doing. The bite doesn't pain.. It won't pain at all. Thats is own way of playing.
One last thing.
Lie d dog down.. Allow your kids smooch his chest, apart from rubbing his head.. They love it.

I have seen a video of my trainers 2 months plus.. Who can't talk playing with is boerboel.
The boy forcefully opens the dogs eyes, mouth in their play.. D boy takes the dogs food when he is eating.
Look dis dog is super aggressive ooo
When next we meet.. I will beg for the videos. And upload them
When you tell d dog "get him" he will keep attacking untill he is asked to stop
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Greenarrow01(m): 8:31am On Dec 01, 2019
My dog at 8 month. I am just afraid that he is gonna be short.. He looks short. His father ..pumba of jos is tall, I have not seen the mum thou. Her name is Lola
For those that know bsquared kennel.
Thou mine was the smallest and last to be picked

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by freezyprinzy(m): 10:12am On Dec 01, 2019
Greenarrow01:
My dog at 8 month. I am just afraid that he is gonna be short.. He looks short. His father ..pumba of jos is tall, I have not seen the mum thou. Her name is Lola
For those that know bsquared kennel.
Thou mine was the smallest and last to be picked
i am looking to get a pup from bsquare.
How much did you get your pup?
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Greenarrow01(m): 11:27am On Dec 01, 2019
freezyprinzy:
i am looking to get a pup from bsquare.
How much did you get your pup?
He sells them for about 150...
His dogs are good
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 11:18pm On Dec 01, 2019
ojayone:
Hello Ops,

Hi,
Im sorry i couodnt reply earlier. Been really busy.

Just like was pointed out above, caucasians are very stubborn and are not suitable for first time owners. They can be strong headed during training and it takes someone who is assertive to handle them.

You should also seperate your son from the dog for now. If they are to be in the same place, you must be very vigilant. An unruly dog is not a pet for kids. Dont force him to play with the dog. He is scared for a reason and dogs read energy. When the dog is trained to be calm, your son will see it. Safety first.

I would also advice you against hitting your dogs, especially for caucasians. They do not take hitting from the owners well and could end up turning on you if you continue. Also, hitting doesnt solve the problem. All the dog recognises is the hitting and it will in time it will grow into anxiety or/and fear if it continues.

I would have assisted with the training if i stay close. Any trainer would want to first observe the dog in his habitat before he starts. I would however give pointers.

Please not that the keyword for traing a dog is consistency. There is no chance for slip. You don't train your dog 99% and then spoil it 1%. Training must be 100%...no slack.

I dont know if your dog knows the basic obedience commands (sit, stay, leave it...) If not, please start from here. I always advice this because it would put you in the position of leader in the eye of the dog, gives your dog an avenue to be calm, and he learns to listen to commands.

To stop the dog jumping on you, whenever it does that, do not pet it or give it eye contact. Do not praise. Dont walk away. Just avert your eyes and wait till it calms down. When it does, praise it. You have to be really patient. Some dogs take time to get this.

This method can also be applied with the mouthing. You can also use the basic obedience commands to get its attention amd calm it down. There are other techniques which you could use but it would be kinda difficult to put in writing.

If you cant do this yourself it is adviceable you get a good trainer. You wouldnt want to have an unruly caucasian dog when it passes the adolecent stage
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by lonlytroy(m): 12:28am On Dec 02, 2019
Plz i need help, my bole is almost 9 months and he still behave like a puppy, licking strangers that visits and destroying household items.
Please what should I do, I am a first time dog owner

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 12:45am On Dec 02, 2019
lonlytroy:
Plz i need help, my bole is almost 9 months and he still behave like a puppy, licking strangers that visits and destroying household items.
Please what should I do, I am a first time dog owner

At 9 months your dog is still basically a puppy. You should be happy that your dog behaves in a calm way when people come to visit and doesn't attack them. I know of people who would glad take the temperament of your dog over theirs with aggression. Also some dogs take time before their guarding instinct takes over but trust me, a real stranger who isn't invited into your house will receive a proper brutal doggy welcome from your dog.

Dogs with destructive behavior in the house often do this because they are bored. There is a saying that goes, "a good dog is a tired dog". Make sure you properly work out your dog. Take him out on walks (this has to be everyday). If he has good prey drive, you can tie a ball or anything that can get his attention with rope on a stick and make him chase it. Work out like this of 30 mins will tire him out. Where then will he see the strength to chew up your shoes?
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 12:59am On Dec 02, 2019
Equado:
we have similar experience, my male is extremely nervous around strangers, he barks and retrieves. He's very scared of me, I have beaten him severally. He obeys commands only when he feels like, I done tire

You taught your dog to be scared. Please, do not beat your dog. Many people will advice you to do this but it's wrong. It just makes your dog distrust you. In some cases, the dog may turn on you. You want your dog to trust you and defend you when the need arises.

Most times when people claim there dog doesn't bark at stranger, it's because the dog is still basically a puppy. Guarding instinct pop up in dogs at varying time.

Most dogs are stubborn and would intentionally ignore commands especially the Caucasian. You just have to be assertive.

Never pet or praise your dog if it is not in a calm state. If you are petting your dog and it jumps at you it is wrong. Most people will disagree with this but I'll ask this question. Have you ever seen a well trained K9 jump on its handler? The answer is no.

1 Like

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 1:04am On Dec 02, 2019
ojayone:

He was scared because he has associated the slippers with beating.

Please tell your kids not to run when the dog is around. The Caucasian is a Russian bred that was bred to fend of bears and wolves that may try to attack the shepherd's sheep. That comes with herding instinct. So the dog is programmed to chase anything that runs. They might even snap at the heels of the child. To then they are doing their job.

1 Like

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 1:06am On Dec 02, 2019
ojayone:

Also, your dog is playful because it is still basically a pup.
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by ojayone(m): 6:08pm On Dec 02, 2019
Ok, well I asked severely before choosing between gsd and caucasian. Well that's in the late sha. I was at vet yesterday and he promised to get me a trainer. The vet even admire the dog growth. Atleast that's an encouragement. I will get a trainer. If you have one on abuja you can suggest as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Endy10:

Hi,
Im sorry i couodnt reply earlier. Been really busy.

Just like was pointed out above, caucasians are very stubborn and are not suitable for first time owners. They can be strong headed during training and it takes someone who is assertive to handle them.

You should also seperate your son from the dog for now. If they are to be in the same place, you must be very vigilant. An unruly dog is not a pet for kids. Dont force him to play with the dog. He is scared for a reason and dogs read energy. When the dog is trained to be calm, your son will see it. Safety first.

I would also advice you against hitting your dogs, especially for caucasians. They do not take hitting from the owners well and could end up turning on you if you continue. Also, hitting doesnt solve the problem. All the dog recognises is the hitting and it will in time it will grow into anxiety or/and fear if it continues.

I would have assisted with the training if i stay close. Any trainer would want to first observe the dog in his habitat before he starts. I would however give pointers.

Please not that the keyword for traing a dog is consistency. There is no chance for slip. You don't train your dog 99% and then spoil it 1%. Training must be 100%...no slack.

I dont know if your dog knows the basic obedience commands (sit, stay, leave it...) If not, please start from here. I always advice this because it would put you in the position of leader in the eye of the dog, gives your dog an avenue to be calm, and he learns to listen to commands.

To stop the dog jumping on you, whenever it does that, do not pet it or give it eye contact. Do not praise. Dont walk away. Just avert your eyes and wait till it calms down. When it does, praise it. You have to be really patient. Some dogs take time to get this.

This method can also be applied with the mouthing. You can also use the basic obedience commands to get its attention amd calm it down. There are other techniques which you could use but it would be kinda difficult to put in writing.

If you cant do this yourself it is adviceable you get a good trainer. You wouldnt want to have an unruly caucasian dog when it passes the adolecent stage
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 10:18am On Dec 04, 2019
ojayone:
Ok, well I asked severely before choosing between gsd and caucasian. Well that's in the late sha. I was at vet yesterday and he promised to get me a trainer. The vet even admire the dog growth. Atleast that's an encouragement. I will get a trainer. If you have one on abuja you can suggest as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

That's good to hear. Unfortunately I have no one to recommend in Abuja. Maybe some of readers will. Wish you good luck in the training of your dog.
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by JoeLeyva: 10:24pm On Dec 08, 2019
Socializing your domestic dog is the key to ensuring you’ll have a satisfied, assured, and nicely-adjusted canine. Beneath, learn more here the high-quality time to socialise your doggy, a way to do it proper, and why it’s critical.
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 7:30am On Dec 17, 2019
Good day everyone.
For a while I haven't been able to proper draft a write up because I've been pretty busy. Been preparing for detty december grin

This write up was meant to be about some basic trainings you could give your dog and useful tips on how best to go about it but I think I have to talk first about a disturbing trend on nairaland pet section.

It's about the recent number of threads that have popped up on nairaland about how to make your dog aggressive. People go about trying to make their dogs what they know nothing about without proper information. First thing to note is that an aggressive dog is not a good thing. I once wrote a reply to a thread here on nairaland about this and someone told me that a good guard dog must be aggressive. I don't conform to this belief because many people misplaced the true meaning of what aggression in a dog means.

For you to grasp the full meaning of aggression, I want you to apply it to a human being. When we say someone is aggressive or too aggressive, does that say something good about the person? When we use that word for a person you are describing a negative character about that person. The same applies to a dog.

An aggressive dog is a dog that has no control, no Limits,no inhibitions... nothing! This is a dog that has a short fuse a dog that can be triggered by any little thing. A dog that barely listens to commands. This is a dangerous dog. So when I see threads on nairaland on how to make your dog aggressive, I weep inside because I know the implications of what these people are about to do.

Making your dog an aggressive dog does not mean it is a good guard dog. If you've watched videos of dog trainings you will see that even after following attack commands the dog still heels or stays if the need arises. Even strangers can come pet the dog if the instructor commands it.

Each dog's guard instinct differs. That is why not all GSDs classed under working line cannot be police dogs. So before you try go trying to make your dog a monster, you have to understand the type of trait it has. I would advise you go through some of Phunkypalace threads. He is the owner of ignite German Shepherds.

If you are trying to make your dog aware of basic commands, to be able to do some guard work it's best you educate yourself before going ahead with some of the things that are seen here on nairaland. If you are a newbie, I would advise checking some videos on YouTube. It is better than some of the advice I see here.

In all, I wish you good luck with your dog. Remember your dog is more than a pet. It is your family. Treat it as such.
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by UniportAgbero: 10:24pm On Dec 17, 2019
I just got a 9 weeks old Caucasian. When should I begin obedience training?
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by IamAnderson(m): 7:50am On Dec 18, 2019
Endy10:

An aggressive dog is a dog that has no control, no Limits,no inhibitions... nothing! This is a dog that has a short fuse a dog that can be triggered by any little thing. A dog that barely listens to commands. This is a dangerous dog. So when I see threads on nairaland on how to make your dog aggressive, I weep inside because I know the implications of what these people are about to do
this is wrong and a common misconception, aggression is not a bad trait in dogs even the most well trained military dogs are aggressive.
in the k9 unit, the dogs are sorted out and the one's that are not aggressive are fired because they cannot guard, attack or protect properly.

aggression is being violent or being willing to be violent, if you want to define a term you have to use the dictionary definition and not the one you heard people say or came up with yourself.

an aggressive dog can also be a balanced well trained dog, aggression doesn't mean uncontrollable or having a short fuse.
any dog that shows signs of violence or is violent is an aggressive dog and a dog cannot be a guard dog without being violent or willingness to be violent.
no guard dog will smile and kindly ask intruders to leave, guard dogs bark at intruders and bite if necessary which is automatically aggression.

aggression is also quite normal In a lot of breeds, it's not a dangerous taboo in dogs.
you can effectively train an aggressive dog and have a well balanced dog that obeys orders and still attacks intruders if necessary.

if your dog barks at people (willingness to be violent) or charges at people to attack them(being violent) and you're saying your dog is not aggressive as a way to say your dog is not a mad dog then you are very wrong
Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2019
IamAnderson:

this is wrong and a common misconception, aggression is not a bad trait in dogs even the most well trained military dogs are aggressive.
in the k9 unit, the dogs are sorted out and the one's that are not aggressive are fired because they cannot guard, attack or protect properly.

aggression is being violent or being willing to be violent, if you want to define a term you have to use the dictionary definition and not the one you heard people say or came up with yourself.

an aggressive dog can also be a balanced well trained dog, aggression doesn't mean uncontrollable or having a short fuse.
any dog that shows signs of violence or is violent is an aggressive dog and a dog cannot be a guard dog without being violent or willingness to be violent.
no guard dog will smile and kindly ask intruders to leave, guard dogs bark at intruders and bite if necessary which is automatically aggression.

aggression is also quite normal In a lot of breeds, it's not a dangerous taboo in dogs.
you can effectively train an aggressive dog and have a well balanced dog that obeys orders and still attacks intruders if necessary.

if your dog barks at people (willingness to be violent) or charges at people to attack them(being violent) and you're saying your dog is not aggressive as a way to say your dog is not a mad dog then you are very wrong

I reiterate again, aggression is not a good trait in a dog. Since you are so bent on using dictionary definition, some dictionary term it "the act of 'initiating' hostilities or invasion". Those words are not words you'd use to describe a dog in control.

Again an aggressive dog is a dog with a short fuse. An aggressive dog does not know the difference between friend and foe even when the handler tells it. The dogs handled by professional trainers would allow a person they just chase and brought down pet them if the handler commands it. An aggressive dog will never do this.

Why do you think the temperament of a K9 is one of the qualities checked before said dog is allowed to undergo training? It is very key! An aggressive dog is a loose cannon in a mission.

We have normalized the term "aggression" especially in this part of the world to mean a dog that is either a good guard or watch dog that we have forgotten what the real meaning is.

Again I will say, an aggressive dog is a dog that does heed to command well. It is a dog that will attack and keep attacking even if it's owner attempt to call it back.

What you are calling aggression is called "work quality" in a dog. Again I urge you to read Phunkypalace threads about working quality in a dog. I also urge you to take time and witness where dogs go through their rigourous guard training and see how gentle those dogs can be. An aggressive dog will never be that calm.

I hope one day, with enough circulation of information like this, people will get to understand that their dogs can be great guard dogs without being aggressive and a danger to people.

3 Likes

Re: Dog Training And Socialization by Endy10(m): 12:12pm On Dec 18, 2019
UniportAgbero:
I just got a 9 weeks old Caucasian. When should I begin obedience training?

I usually start obedience training anytime between 10-12 weeks. This is because puppies do have short attention span, so when you start, make it short e.g 10 mins. Give a week for the dog to get used to his environment first.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

25 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds / Diary Of My Showline German Shepherd 'tyson Of Doggvilla / 8 Weeks German Shepherds Puppies, For Sale (pics) , LAGOS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.